Ezra Miller is somehow The Flash in the DCEU

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
The Flash did end up doing MCU numbers after all.

I believe that the latest Marvel movie has preformed even worse than the Flash, from what said the drop off week to week for that Movie is 89%, so I think the Flash didn't have as bad a drop off, thou I believe it was a combo of various conficting visions and people in control changing!

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Out of morbid curiosity, I rented this from the public library. This movie was...uneven. There were parts of the movie that were good while there were parts that felt fairly off in tone. It's a pity that so much of the Flash's modern lore seems wrapped up in the Flashpoint storyline.

This movie also seems to be an example of the poor usage of CG. Why would you render Batman's cape for a motorcycle chase? That just sounds like a waste of money.

And I'm guessing rights issues are why we got a Nicolas Cage Superman sequence but not one for Lynda Carter Wonder Woman.

In a related but separate issue, I'm wondering with the things that have happened in the Snyderverse if the Flash's overall popularity has shifted.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I was meaning in both directions. But bringing up the CW show is a good point. CW Flash actually brought in a lot of goodwill for the character. While it had its own numerous issues, it showed how things could be done on a smaller budget and how the main narrative with Barry's new backstory could work. Ignoring Ezra Miller's criminal antics, the movie made a ton of weird decisions that the TV show already figured out in the first season. And then when you add Ezra Miller, it's a not very likable Barry with a ton of real world baggage. To top it off, the movie was barely the Flashpoint story. It was an alternate present + Man of Steel rewrite + a forced Crisis On Infinite Earths inclusion.

A few years back I read an article that said that the best and worst legacy character at DC was the Flash. People were fine with his death and his successor made sense. Permanently bringing him back caused more problems than it solved.

Ironbite4

Citizen
That's because Wally had EARNED the title the Flash by the time they decided to bring Barry back. Wally was the Flash in cartoons, comics, you name it. His name, not Barry's, was what people had been associating the Flash with and that's something DC never figured out. Or hell, what comics can't figure out. Sometimes you just have to let people grow into things and let them earn the mantle rather then taking away their marriage because you feel it ages them.

Ironbite-oh no I got off track.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
For me, Barry went from being the guy who died saving the multiverse to "not him again".

Sometimes you just have to let people grow into things and let them earn the mantle rather then taking away their marriage because you feel it ages them.

At the the time One More Day happened, Spiderman existed as a married character for longer than he had been single and had been married longer than Superman had been married.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I grew up with Wally from the Mark Waid run of Flash 90 onwards (a bit before Zero Hour, when Impulse was introduced). I was puzzled when the Justice League DCAU cartoon made him into a goofball, since he wasn't like that in the comics. I figured they just needed to fill the prerequisites in that League (John Stewart being the minority on the team, Hawkgirl to have more females, Wally to have a young, funny guy since Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Jon Jonzz were all sticks in the mud).

But the goofball Wally had more personality than even comic Wally soooo that shorthand was ok. Carried over to Young Justice, where he was also pretty goofy.

When Geoff Johns reintroduced Barry in the comics, his and Wally's personalities were sorta interchangeable. Sorta. Guess that's why they got rid of comics Wally.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
At the the time One More Day happened, Spiderman existed as a married character for longer than he had been single and had been married longer than Superman had been married.
But that's not how it was when Marvel editorial was growing uuuuuuuuuuuuuup!

Never mind that just about every other version to come along since has started with a younger Peter, noooooooooooo, we have to make the one who showed significant development regress, too.

"Slap in the face" gets thrown around a lot, but after what they did and said about it, I'd gladly return the gesture in kind.

Spider-Man isn't even my favorite Marvel hero anymore. Ironically, they made him less relatable to me than ever, and I thought that was supposed to be part of his big appeal!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The only reason I had any association with Barry Allen, the character, was because of his inclusion in the 1990 Flash TV show. My one big ting of regret about the CW Flash show was how quickly it dumped the “CSI with superheroes” angle they teased early on (and the old TV show DID make an honest attempt at) and just went straight to “superhero show with a solid side of drama”.

But like Fero said, it felt like during the 90s and early 2000s, Allen and West were, largely, interchangeable in most mass media (outside the comics). Wally was the “current” Flash in comics, but Barry had the more interesting life elements, so cartoons just kind of merged them.

Top Bottom