Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I feel like Skywarp is probably the right call since Thundercracker (usually) is nothing more than a less interesting Starscream.
I wholeheartedly disagree there, on account of IDW, who actually utilized his original profile and expanded upon it significantly.

Anyway, on Discord, someone suggested a hypothetical where it was Acid Storm or Sunstorm or someone instead, and I'm all for that. I think Thundercracker and Skywarp got the best they're going to get for a long time in IDW, so growing some other Seekers' characters would be a welcome change.

I'm not expecting that to be the case at all, but...

Oh, and they'd better not off Cliffjumper like that.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Is Kirkman even a G1 guy? Or a Transformers fan? I don't recall seeing any injokes or references in Invincible or the Walking Dead.

If he's G1 guy then I doubt he'd use anybody other that Thundercracker or Skywarp, which would be a shame.

Dvandom

Citizen
If it's one of the more obscure Seekers, they'll probably die for Stakes reasons.

---Dave

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh dang, you're right. I was thinking of Void Rivals, haha.

Soooo who are the possible Transformers who will appear there? Omega Supreme? Cosmos? Astrotrain?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I do find it a little interesting that a few characters AREN'T in the lineup. Bumblebee's one for sure, given how much Hasbro likes to push him.

But, the lack of Megatron is more interesting to me. Especially with how everything else screams Sunbow G1 to me.

Are they pulling something like Infiltration, where Megatron won't come in until later to up the stakes? That would be repeating things a bit...but IDW's start WAS 18 years ago, so fair enough if they do.

Maybe Megatron's damaged and they need to repair him somehow?

Or could someone else actually be in charge in this universe? A Galvatron or Deathsaurus or Overlord or something?

Is this just Starscream going rogue and trying to start his own faction?

I'm probably overthinking this, but it'll be fun to see where they're going with it.

Jazz and Grimlock and Shockwave are also notable absences. But, they could easily show up later. Megatron is a lot more conspicuous to me.

Soooo who are the possible Transformers who will appear there? Omega Supreme? Cosmos? Astrotrain?
Yeah, I could easily see some of the space-based guys showing up there. Maybe even a few Japanese exclusive characters that the main book doesn't want to use yet. Your Star Sabers or Metal Hawks and the like. And Jetfire might end up coming back.

But, honestly, I think Void Rivals MIGHT end up being it's own thing. Think the ROM book in IDW. In the same universe, but doing it's own thing with it's own villains and characters. I get the feeling the Transformer involvement MIGHT end up being saved for a crossover down the line.

But, there is the "Sacred Ring" they keep mentioning. It sounds to me like a Space Bridge or Stargate type thing. So, if THAT activates, a few Transformers could step through and show up in the Void Rivals book as a sort of surprise. It's not going to happen, but the Ring even COULD turn out to be Spanner (from G1 Marvel) or something. Crazier things have happened.

Mind you, the Sacred Ring MIGHT just be the black hole. But the black hole MIGHT be caused by a faulty Space Bridge. We'll see. It's REALLY early days.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I do find it a little interesting that a few characters AREN'T in the lineup. Bumblebee's one for sure, given how much Hasbro likes to push him.
They seem to have been pushing him a bit less in recent years. At least, after his movie came and went.

He was more of a supporting role in Cyberverse Seasons 2-4.

While he had a main role in Siege and Earthrise, he was but one part of an ensemble cast. And Kingdom kinda pushed him further aside.

He's part of the main cast of EarthSpark, but like before, he's not the focus. The Terrans are the real stars.

And then there's Rise of the Beasts.
He mostly sits out of a good chunk of the movie, being near-dead and all.

Swerve

Life of the Party
Citizen
I have always liked Bumblebee and am a little disappointed to not see him on the team to be honest. Still excited for the comic though.
I still think Jetfire has more of a role to play in Void Rivals to be honest. I like the idea of a bot like him playing a supporting role to the other characters.
I wonder if Megatron is not there because he stayed on Cybertron and conquered it. To me that eliminates one of the biggest Gen 1 potholes when they finally return to Cybertron. What if in this version the Autobots left and things only got worse while they were gone? I can see a leader like Prime leaving with his troop but Megatron leaving and putting Shockwave in charge...for millions of years..never seemed right.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Megatron didn't mean to leave Shockwave in charge for that long. He proabably though he'd blow up the Autobots once and for all and be back in time for supper. Prime crashing the Ark and knocking everyone offline for four million years put a little crimp in that plan.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's still my favorite version of Shockwave and I want him back. Imagine the insane loyalty to do his job for 4 million years. He is as stubborn as a Terminator. He'd be a real threat if Megatron gave him orders more dangerous than guard duty.

MrBlud

Citizen
That's still my favorite version of Shockwave and I want him back. Imagine the insane loyalty to do his job for 4 million years. He is as stubborn as a Terminator. He'd be a real threat if Megatron gave him orders more dangerous than guard duty.

I mean, it was a pretty prestigious job. Essentially leader of all of Cybertron (and once Megatron was MIA) the Decepticons.

He wasn’t exactly cleaning latrines for four million years…

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
do transformers even need latri-*war flashback to the bumblebee pissing on jon turturro scene from tf2007*
the chimpanzee drinks.jpg

Top Bottom