Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anyone else digitally subscribed to Void Rivals through Amazon/Comixology and not get #8? Usually you get charged for an issue a week or two in advance, but it looks like my subscription hiccupped and paid for #9 early (two weekends ago) and skipped #8 entirely. I suppose at this point I'll just wait until May and get #8 at half price, and then read it and #9 back-to-back...
Really?

I can't subscribe to books any more, but I do pre-order them, and I'm usually charged once they become available.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Transformers #7 is out!

And it's good! We have have a new artist starting with this issue and I think they knock it out of the park! There's just really solid action in this issue and it's drawn well. I think this will work if Daniel Warren Johnson can't draw every issue.

I do feel like the first half of this comic is better than the second half, though. Not because the second half is bad or anything. It's just that the first half has all this action and battles and new stuff in it. And the second half more deals with the fallout of the last issue and has quieter emotional moments. I think I would have flipped these pages around, just for pacing reasons, myself. But, that's a nitpick.

So, yes, this is a very good issue. It's just satisfying for a number of reasons.

We start off on Cybertron, kind of out of nowhere. It's kind of a oil-bath, since we lose a lot of characters in pretty quick succession. But, they're all trying to rescue...someone. I honestly can't tell who it's supposed to be, because they've basically been put through a chop-shop and stripped for parts, for some reason. It MIGHT be Ultra Magnus? But, later on in the issue Arcee mentions Ultra Magnus already being dead. So, maybe it's Windcharger or someone else? Whoever it is, it looks like they have a "blue" head and red shoulders. That's all I can really make out, right now.

I do feel bad for the Kup, Huffer, and Warpath fans, though. I don't expect these characters to stay dead, but it's rough that they're really only here to be blown into little bits.

Then we get Soundwave challenging Starscream for the leader of the Decepticons. And...they don't fight fair when leadership on the line.

"You kicked my Ravage" OOOOH...that's the GOOD karmic comeuppance, right there. This fight is so one sided, I love it. Yeah, this cover is a liar. And I'm okay with that. Soundwave rips out Starscream's "heart" and plans on using his parts to repair everyone else. Soundwave is now the leader of the Decepticons! *looks over at the Cobra Commander mini* Well...for now, anyway.

...And then we go back to Carly talking to Arcee about being mad at Cliffjumper. Yeah, do you see my complaint about maybe switching some of these pages around? It's not bad, Arcee does blow up some cans real good. But, after those last two scenes, it's really hard to compete.

Also, she is not "Arbee". She does NOT have the MEATS!

Spike's still kind of sad about his dad being dead, which is fair. But, he doesn't seem mad at Optimus about it. Which is nice.

We DO see that Optimus now has memories from Sparkplug about Spike as a baby. So, yeah, I guess Optimus did absorb some of Sparkplug's mind or "soul" when he entered the Matrix. That's....weird, but I'm here for it. I'm willing to see where they go with this.

And...Skywarp is still aware while being hooked up to Teletraan inside a wall. That's...kind of a horrifying visual. They just plugged him into a hole in the wall to repair the computer, I guess.

And the Autobots decide to take the fight to the Decepticons!

...Cool, but I still think they should have ended this issue on Soundwave winning the leadership of the Decepticons.

Shadewing

Citizen
I feel it it is Ultra Magnus, becuase I can kinda make out the square blue part of his chest. I think Arcee only believe's him to be dead; and well if that is him he kinda looks dead. So not hard to believe why she might think that.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Corona did very well, to the point that if I hadn't known there was going to be an artist switch I might not have noticed. Good stuff. Also, looks like they've switched over to a more standard, readable typeface for the human dialogue, which I appreciate.

I agree though that I think this issue could've benefited from being presented in a different order. Arcee's mention of Ultra Magnus (and the visual of him alive and complete) would've worked better before the shot of his picked-over corpse I think (as it is, his identity is a bit of a mystery when he first shows up). And as Zaku said I think it would've been stronger to have all the Autobot portions first and then the Soundwave/Starscream fight make up the last half.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Cobra Commander #4 is out!

This is another pretty exciting issue. We get a few twists. A few reveals. A few hints for things. It's keeping my interest. It's been a pretty solid book, so far. Hopefully, it can stick the landing with the final issue next time.

So, in this universe, I guess Energon Crystals are "expanded" to produce Energon Cubes. Kind of unique, I guess. At least, it's a way to connect two of the major forms of Energon we usually see in these books.

Golobulus turns on Cobra Commander. I expected that eventually, but I was thinking it was going to happen later down the line.

Cobra Commander's new claw looks familiar, but I can't quite place it. I'm sure it's a reference to something, but I'm not sure what.

And soon, CC will be meeting Destro. We knew that was coming due to covers, but it still should be pretty exciting when it happens.

Shadewing

Citizen
Not much to add, except that this issue continues to be why I like this better the Duke. It always feels like something is happening.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Duke #5 is out!

This is a satisfying enough conclusion to this miniseries. I think if you've followed along with it so far, you can kind of guess what happens. There really aren't any mind-blowing surprises here. But, it was a fun little action-packed book. This was fun, but not incredibly substantial. A fun action movie style romp setting up the origins of GI Joe. It's a pretty good start to the GI Joe side of this universe. But, I wouldn't call it "necessary reading" per se.

We also get a preview for the Destro miniseries. And it's looking okay. It seems like it'll be continuing the action of this particular miniseries. It doesn't really give you a "hook" to make you excited to pick up the Destro mini, though. It's just more action. And that's fine. Maybe the book itself will have a greater hook, but the preview is just kind of there for me, right now.

Shadewing

Citizen
I love that we get a low-key version of Profit Director Destro in this book. That is totally not a look I expected to see.

But my big question, from the Destro preview:

Is that Miles Mayhem?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Is that Miles Mayhem?

Given the country is called "Darklonia", I honestly have to wonder if one of the characters is actually Darklon?

That character does have history with Destro, too. So, it might just be part of some larger "clan war"? Maybe.

But does Destro have his clarinet?
Unfortunately, no. But, I'm sure once we get the preview for the Scarlett miniseries, we'll get to see Storm Shadow taking out the trash.

Top Bottom