E3 is officially dead.....

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I never got to go to one, with it being on the other side of the country, but I am still sad to see it go. I am sure that each of the big companies will continue to have their own little conferences and such.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Hardly surprising. It was nice having a single event each year where the big companies would do their big reveals and the fans would fight debate over who "won." But the big 3 have been becoming increasingly independent from E3 thanks to being able to do their own reveals both on YouTube as well as their own platforms.

It was nice while it lasted, but it has long since become irrelevant and I can't think of too many people actually missing it that much.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
People were calling E3 an irrelevant relic over a decade ago. And by "people" I mean the very same journalists and critics who nonetheless devoted the whole week to covering every single thing that was said and done there. (Looking at you, Yahtzee.) I'm just glad game studios are no longer under pressure to have demos and trailers ready for a specific time of year every single year regardless of how far along their games actually are. Assuming the tradition of dumping all the big reveals in the week E3 would have been doesn't drag on for another decade and change.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
People were calling E3 an irrelevant relic over a decade ago. And by "people" I mean the very same journalists and critics who nonetheless devoted the whole week to covering every single thing that was said and done there. (Looking at you, Yahtzee.) I'm just glad game studios are no longer under pressure to have demos and trailers ready for a specific time of year every single year regardless of how far along their games actually are. Assuming the tradition of dumping all the big reveals in the week E3 would have been doesn't drag on for another decade and change.
Now the pressure is to make sure everything gets pushed for the "Video Game Awards" instead, provided you're one of the companies attending.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I thought E3 already got declared dead like a year or so ago?? I even remember Keighley trying to talk up doing his own thing (that wasn't the Game Awards), with blackjack and hookers that never panned out.

Caldwin

Citizen
For years it's been the kind of dead where no body cares or watches it and big companies had been withdrawing from it to the point where last year IIRC the only companies presenting were 3rd party creators. Now it's the kind of dead where the people behind it are calling it dead and they aren't even going to hold the event any more.

It won't be missed.

Pretty much this.

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
Looking around, I guess I was thinking about the 2020 cancellation and subsequent announcement of Keighley's Summer Games Fest that is apparently a lot more more spread-out than E3, and that's why it seemed like it never really happened in my mind.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
For years it's been the kind of dead where no body cares or watches it and big companies had been withdrawing from it to the point where last year IIRC the only companies presenting were 3rd party creators. Now it's the kind of dead where the people behind it are calling it dead and they aren't even going to hold the event any more.
You got things mixed up a bit.

There was no E3 last year, the most recent E3 was the online-only E3 2021, which still had Nintendo and Microsoft participating in it, so it wasn't just third party companies participating.

E3 2022 was cancelled (although it was doubted they'd even planned it at all since they had never announced dates for it like they had for the also-cancelled E3 2020) and then E3 2023, which would have been this year's E3, was cancelled after 'lack of sustained interest' (among other companies, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft had all said they wouldn't be participating in it).

Caldwin

Citizen
And now that you say that, yeah, that's right. Hey, I have a 46 (shudder) year old memory. Some days I don't even remember...remember...wtf was I talking about?

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly I stopped paying attention to E3 after E3 2015, I think that was the one where they announced stuff like Shenmue 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake.

That was also the only E3 I ever actually paid attention to to the point where I watched a bunch of the conferences being livestreamed on Twitch lol.

I think I watched Nintendo's digital event in 2014 though, I remember the debut trailer for Splatoon and that was E3 2014.

Kinda funny how I remember people mocking Nintendo for having abandoned having a physical presence at E3 back in 2013 and now look at where we are now.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I mean, I'll kind of miss E3. Mostly out of misplaced nostalgia for what it used to be rather than what it's actually been for the past decade or so, but still.

I have some fond memories of watching some of G4 and X-Play's coverage of the event. And watching highlights from the shows on youtube.

But, yeah, from everything we heard about what the owner's wanted to turn E3 into, it's probably for the best that it just fade away, I guess. And there's really no need for it nowadays, anyway.

Although, I DO still think there's room in the world for some sort of general video game convention. A San Diego Comic Con for video games, basically. I don't know, I think it's a idea that could lead to something decent.

But, I doubt E3 is gone forever. Even Toys R Us eventually found a way to make a limited comeback. E3 as a name has value. I'm sure someone will eventually use it for something down the line.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
My favorite all-time E3 moment is when they accidentally doxxed over 2000 people.

My second favorite moment is when Sega literally shot themselves in the foot and basically killed the Saturn then and there at the first ever E3 (which I wasn't alive for but even still like who the **** at Sega thought any of that was a good idea? And then Sony basically was right there to make sure they were dead).

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I mean, I'll kind of miss E3. Mostly out of misplaced nostalgia for what it used to be rather than what it's actually been for the past decade or so, but still.

I have some fond memories of watching some of G4 and X-Play's coverage of the event. And watching highlights from the shows on youtube.

But, yeah, from everything we heard about what the owner's wanted to turn E3 into, it's probably for the best that it just fade away, I guess. And there's really no need for it nowadays, anyway.

Although, I DO still think there's room in the world for some sort of general video game convention. A San Diego Comic Con for video games, basically. I don't know, I think it's a idea that could lead to something decent.

But, I doubt E3 is gone forever. Even Toys R Us eventually found a way to make a limited comeback. E3 as a name has value. I'm sure someone will eventually use it for something down the line.
I think the ultimate problem with E3 was it could never decide what kind of show it wanted to be, especially when you have the rise of things like Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) largely taking the show’s role from a fan angle. I think there was a chance to skew it closer to a “Toy Fair” type industry show, but then you have stuff like the GDC which covers that angle a bit better.
I recall Marcus Beer (industry professional who had a show on Gametrailers WAY back when) remarked going to one E3 where, even as the show tried to present itself as an “industry” event, you had “gaming press” walking around in character onesies and random “VIP” children getting first access to stations.

E3 has been “dead” for a long time. They just finally declared it.
My second favorite moment is when Sega literally shot themselves in the foot and basically killed the Saturn then and there at the first ever E3 (which I wasn't alive for but even still like who the **** at Sega thought any of that was a good idea? And then Sony basically was right there to make sure they were dead).
I mean, I think there was SOME merit to the idea. The just executed it so poorly.
And then, a couple years later, Bernie Stolar’s infamous “the Saturn isn’t our future” comment firmly killed all support for platform in a single sentence.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I mean, I think there was SOME merit to the idea. The just executed it so poorly.
And then, a couple years later, Bernie Stolar’s infamous “the Saturn isn’t our future” comment firmly killed all support for platform in a single sentence.
Oh yeah, a surprise launch can be done well.

Maybe if it had happened in an alternate timeline where Sega wasn't basically fighting itself or something, they would've been able to do it better by not keeping the surprise launch a secret from third party devs and maybe including all major retail chains as well? Cause I mean I dunno about y'all but only having two games released between your surprise launch date and the original planned launch date AND having some of the retailers who weren't part surprise launch (like KB Toys) refusing to stock the Saturn or its games as a result of this seems like you completely screwed up your brilliant idea to give yourself a headstart in the marketplace over Sony.

And hey Stolar's comment about the Saturn not being Sega's future didn't immediately kill all support for the Saturn in the US, Magic Knight Rayearth still came out lol

Caldwin

Citizen
I only ever watched it because every year you could count on every one to release teasers/trailers of their most anticipated games. But then the big 3 realized they didn't did to spend $$$ renting convention space in order to do that...sooooo...

Top Bottom