Dungeons & Dragons

Dake

Citizen
Even if you have good eyes, it's fatiguing. Definitely worth investing in a set of magnifying lenses.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
If you're planning to do a lot of small parts, it might be worth picking up a magnifying glass stand with clips, like this. Can also be useful if, like me, your hands aren't super steady, so you're only fighting one hand wobbling instead of two.

Dvandom

Citizen
Yeah, those are meant to be thinned and then applied in many coats. One thing that might help is to take the black and thin it a LOT, and use it as a "wash" to settle into the nooks and crannies, to give the impression of shadows. (Normally you'd want to use a darker shade of the same color, but let's focus on really basic stuff to do with what you have.) You could also try mixing your light primer with brown or with skin red to make highlights.

Keep in mind, you do NOT need to prime a Bones figure. One of their selling points is that they come pre-primed.

---Dave

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I gotta admit, I'm kinda tempted get another Doric toy just to paint her red. But that would be more costly than a mini if I screw it up.

Caldwin

Citizen
I gotta admit, I'm kinda tempted get another Doric toy just to paint her red. But that would be more costly than a mini if I screw it up.
IMG_2803.jpeg

I gotta admit, this isn't quite what I meant. But I got a good price for it on Amazon, so I went for it.

IMG_2805.jpeg

There's some included feet so she can walk on all fours, but switching things out on these D&D figures makes me nervous.

IMG_2806.jpeg

And here they are together. Anyone want to guess who my favorite movie character is?

Dvandom

Citizen
There's just something about Circle of the Moon Tiefling Druids. (I played one for a while earlier this year before finding out about Doric. The Wild Shape, even if not as OP as Doric's, was her most useful asset.)

---Dave

Caldwin

Citizen
Holy crap! I bought that owlbear for $15 on Amazon. I just checked and already the price skyrocketed to $50. I thought I missed the Black Friday sales, but if $50 is truly what it's supposed to cost, I got lucky!

Caldwin

Citizen
Can't stop collecting. Can't stop, can't stop.

IMG_2807.jpeg

IMG_2809.jpeg

I got these from Amazon today. Die.cast.metal! 😍

IMG_2810.jpeg

I really like these D&D toys, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

IMG_2811.jpeg

I guess you could say I'm becoming a serious collector, though some might say it's a tiefling affair.

There's also a bunch of prepainted minis released as parts of older, now dead games. Mage Knight and D&D Tactics(or whatever that 4th ed adjacent line was called) are the first two that come to mind for fantasy stuff. Icons of the Realms looks like a more modern line of prepainted D&D ones, and there looks to be another one called Pathfinder Battles oriented around Golarion.

I had some of those game minis. I think they came out circa 3rd Edition. The came with stat cards and you had a certain amount of points to spend on what minis you wanted to bring into the game and battle it out. I use to have a bigger collection, but held on to a few of my favorites.

IMG_2812.jpeg

I'd like to comment on these, particularly that Icing Death, but this post is starting to be dragon along.

IMG_2813.jpeg

I'm glad I found these. I thought I displaced them. But they were dridering along with my other minis.

IMG_2814.jpeg

I like these. They really demonstrate how good they were with textures.

IMG_2815.jpeg

I...I've got nothing for these.

Caldwin

Citizen
IMG_2819.jpeg

And these just arrived today.

IMG_2820.jpeg

those puns were drizztasteful

Look, I know my puns can me Drizztful in their ranger. And I really shouldn't be dragon what I was born to do down with clerical mistakes. But I am just a human, fighting to stay mindful of my flayer for the comedic.

Dvandom

Citizen
Ollie's has the two Campaign Cases for $3 each. Creatures case has a bunch of plastic disks and Colorform-like clings you can put on the disks and then remove to swap out. The Terrain case has a big cardstock folding grid map and a bunch of interlocking map grid squares, and then not-Colorform sheets of scenery and terrain and stuff. They are HEAVY.

---Dave

Caldwin

Citizen
IMG_2823.jpeg

I like kitties. I think I'll call this one Salem.

IMG_2824.jpeg

Say what you will about WotC and their ethics, and I totally would not disagree. But they do put some quality into their products.

IMG_2825.jpeg

Like, I thought that owlbear was hefty (and it is), but look at this beauty! Gah! I absolutely love this thing!

Dvandom

Citizen
Okay, so quick history of the Displacer Beast.

It started as the alien menace called the Coeurl (yes, Final Fantasy grabbed the name) from A.E. van Vogt's short story "Dark Destroyer." Felinoid with tentacles and the ability to extract potassium from living things as it fed, not to mention other atomic-manipulation tricks that made it hard to contain. This was the inspiration for the Displacer Beast, but ALSO the inspiration for Mughi, the companion of the Dirty Pair. (The anime made him more of a furball, but the original light novels and manga had him pretty closely modeled on the Coeurl.)

---Dave

Caldwin

Citizen
Huh! Now that you say that, I can totally see the connection between the coeurl and the displacer beast. Of course, it's not the first time FF used D&D monsters with little more than a name change, so it's not that surprising. I just never made the connection before.

I've never seen Dirty Pair.

Dvandom

Citizen
From the pre-anime design, one of the novels from about 1980. Mughi-as-Coeurl postdates the earliest Displacer Beasts, but it seems to be a parallel evolution rather than van Vogt -> D&D -> Dirty Pair.
13924.jpg

Here's the Marvel adaptation of the 1939 story (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Destroyer), published in 1974 (I have a later reprint of this, IIRC):
1702443275402.png

This interpretation of the Coeurl probably inspired the Displacer Beast directly, given the timing and the general Fandom Culture crosspollination.

---Dave

Caldwin

Citizen
S here's my haul f this week.

IMG_2831.jpeg

I'd already been reading this on Kindle app. But I wanted a physical version.

IMG_2829.jpeg

I already had Drizzt, so of course I felt compelled to get Catti-Brie.

IMG_2830.jpeg

And out of the box. The others will probably go into mini-storage. I really just wanted Catti-Brie.

Caldwin

Citizen
From the pre-anime design, one of the novels from about 1980. Mughi-as-Coeurl postdates the earliest Displacer Beasts, but it seems to be a parallel evolution rather than van Vogt -> D&D -> Dirty Pair.
View attachment 18212

Here's the Marvel adaptation of the 1939 story (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Destroyer), published in 1974 (I have a later reprint of this, IIRC):
View attachment 18213
This interpretation of the Coeurl probably inspired the Displacer Beast directly, given the timing and the general Fandom Culture crosspollination.

---Dave
So I found the original novel on Ebay. I'm kinda used to reading things digitally, but I'll give it a shot once I'm done with Druids Call.

BTW, this is an actual novel right? As in not a comic? Because, you know, books without pictures can be a real novelty for some people.

Top Bottom