Does anyone still make headphones like these?

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
A long time ago, my boss bought me a Sennheiser headset to use for conference calls at my work-from-home job. Specifically, these jobbies.

(EDIT: here's a picture)

ZpnvxKK.jpg

They have been, hands down, the best headphones I've ever owned for any purpose, and half the reason I know this is that, inevitably, the pads eventually wore out and I've had to make do with whatever I could find. Until this year when I finally learned that, no, they're not meant to be thrown away as soon as the pads wear out; you can just buy replacement pads for dirt cheap. So I did. I bought ten of them.

And, barely a month later, I got the cord tangled up in my chair and destroyed it. So that's it for my favorite headphones and, with them, any reason to have those extra pads.

But the worst part is, not only has this particular model been discontinued, apparently so has everything else remotely like it. 90% of the market now is those tiny headphones you shove all the way inside your head and give you ear infections (and have a battery life of about five minutes if they're wireless), or giant cans that clamp onto your head like a vice and make you feel like you're in a sauna even in the dead of winter and sound like you're in a cave. The remaining 10%, assuming they don't also clamp onto your head like a vice despite claiming to be looser and more comfortable, have pads covered in that thin vinyl that starts disintegrating about a week after you start using them (as opposed to the foam pads themselves which at least last a few years).

Am I just looking in the wrong places? Surely there's still a market for headphones like mine, right? The best case scenario would be to find ones with the exact same size of driver so that when the pads wear out, I can just pop on one of the replacements I already have, but I'm sure that's asking too much.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
For some perspective, one of the uncomfortable pair I still have are a Sennheiser HD202 I found at a rummage sale.

Kjetful.jpg

They're OK for about five minutes, at which point the room feels about 20 degrees hotter than it really is. I must be part elephant; I shed all my excess body heat through my ears. Notice the complete lack of adjustability, because who needs adjustment when the whole band is springy enough to put the whole head in a vice grip no matter how small it is!

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
My workplace is currently using something close to these. The pads are warm, but I keep them slightly off set so my ears can breathe a bit. And yes, they are adjustable.

Cradok

Citizen
But the worst part is, not only has this particular model been discontinued, apparently so has everything else remotely like it. 90% of the market now is those tiny headphones you shove all the way inside your head and give you ear infections (and have a battery life of about five minutes if they're wireless), or giant cans that clamp onto your head like a vice and make you feel like you're in a sauna even in the dead of winter and sound like you're in a cave. The remaining 10%, assuming they don't also clamp onto your head like a vice despite claiming to be looser and more comfortable, have pads covered in that thin vinyl that starts disintegrating about a week after you start using them (as opposed to the foam pads themselves which at least last a few years).

Am I just looking in the wrong places? Surely there's still a market for headphones like mine, right? The best case scenario would be to find ones with the exact same size of driver so that when the pads wear out, I can just pop on one of the replacements I already have, but I'm sure that's asking too much.

Nope, anyone who wants earphones or on-ear or anything that isn't one of the Designated Types, you get to eat shit. And you have even less choice if you you have the audacity to want a wire. It's deeply awful. I had a little more luck with Phillips than anyone else, you might want to have a look at their range.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
Are you searching for "on-ear" headsets? Not sure of the quality, but Officedepot has a few of that style that pop up. It is a nuisance because it seems like places use "on-ear" and "over-ear" interchangeably.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
A long time ago, my boss bought me a Sennheiser headset to use for conference calls at my work-from-home job. Specifically, these jobbies.

(EDIT: here's a picture)

ZpnvxKK.jpg

They have been, hands down, the best headphones I've ever owned for any purpose, and half the reason I know this is that, inevitably, the pads eventually wore out and I've had to make do with whatever I could find. Until this year when I finally learned that, no, they're not meant to be thrown away as soon as the pads wear out; you can just buy replacement pads for dirt cheap. So I did. I bought ten of them.

And, barely a month later, I got the cord tangled up in my chair and destroyed it. So that's it for my favorite headphones and, with them, any reason to have those extra pads.

If you love that pair, why not just patch the cable?

Zephyr

Cursed Punweaver
Citizen
I've had these for about 2.5 years now of pretty much daily, not-intense use. The pads have held up great so far, the only issue is the tension in the headband adjuster has gotten less great over time, but they've honestly done really fantastic for a pretty cheap pair of headphones.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Jabra makes quite a few office headsets, both wired and wireless options.

I've had the Evolve2 40 (wired) for a few months now and use it for Microsoft Teams meetings, and it's been pretty good. Raising the headset automatically mutes the mic.

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!
Citizen
Does it not have a replaceable cord? I thought that was one of the features of good headphones, especially Sennheisers.

Either way, I've been using these for a few years and they're pretty good, though not quite what you're looking for, obviously.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Ooh, and it even supports headset combo jacks. One of the laptops my dad brought home from work has that.

I should mention, though, that I no longer have a need for the microphone part for the foreseeable future. Even if I went back to needing to do voice calls, I have that rummage-sale Blue Snowball I could use and I'm sure it's much better. I don't know if that broadens the search or narrows it; call centers might be the last remaining niche for flat pads. I'm definitely not married to the cord, either; if anything my experiences have soured me pretty thoroughly on long wires that get tangled up in everything.

Does it not have a replaceable cord? I thought that was one of the features of good headphones, especially Sennheisers.
Nope, neither they nor the rummage-sale Sennheisers had an easy-to-replace cord.

Patching would be a huge pain too because it ripped all the way from where the headphone and mic wires split to the plug. I'd pretty much have to open up the cans and put in a whole new cord, which might be doable if I could find another pair to swipe the cord from.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Good lord, those are expensive. I should probably mention that the ones I broke were like $50.

HgDragon

Citizen
The 3200 series are $45.00-50.00. I like the foam pads better than the "leather" ones because they are more open than flat. They made my ears extra sweaty and I would take them off after every call. Only time I take it off is if I get up from my desk,. I stream music when I'm not on a call and the quality during calls is quite good, even with Teams' crappy quality.

Top Bottom