Do YOU have what it takes to be...the SPAWN of SVENGOOLIE?!

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I have NO idea how many people would even be interested in something like this. But, it's unique enough that more people should know about it.

If you're from the Chicago area, or have MeTV, you might be familiar with long time horror-movie late-night host Svengoolie. The guy is 70 years old and has been doing this show for about 43 years now.

They say they're looking to "expand the Svengoolie universe" with a new character to join the cast. But...this seems like they're looking for someone to eventually replace him down the line.

So, hey, if you live in the Chicago area or if you've ever dreamed of making a living making bad puns about old horror movies, this is the opportunity of a lifetime! It seems like there's a surprising amount of job security, anyway.

Just submit a video below and test your luck!
https://www.metv.com/svengoolie/spawn-of-svengoolie

It sounds like they're also planning to do live auditions at this year's New York Comic-Con October 6-9.

If anyone DOES end up auditioning, post a video here, too. I'd love to see what people come up with.

To give you a idea of what this show's like, here's a highlight reel:

Last edited:

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My family and I were watching the special last night and are actually thinking of submitting something. We came up with a great character for my wife. Not that she's interested in the job even a little, but it would just be fun to participate.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
I feel like it's trickier to come up with a good new character than it looks like at first glance. I have NO INTENTION of entering. But, I can't help think of what it would take to win.

They don't just want a Sven-clone. So you have to do your own thing. A character that can not only play off of Sven, but also sustain the show alone if you get want to get picked to take over when the time comes.

You have to be "spooky" but not TOO spooky. This is still a family show. So, the executives in charge probably don't want anyone who's actually scary. The new character has to be more Addams Family or Munsters to get the executives in charge to sign off on them.

And you have to actually have charisma. People have to like having you around. And you have to be funny. Some experience with improv probably would help.

I can't help but think a "younger" character who...doesn't actually like corny old black and white horror movies could be kind of fun? Like as they appear on the show, they slowly learn to like and appreciate some of these older movies? Thing is...I think they want a CHARACTER, not a CHARACTER ARC. And I don't know how the audience would react to someone who doesn't like the movies they're watching. It could get grating fast, if played even slightly wrong.

You could get more gimmicky with it. Maybe someone who paints a rubber chicken to look like the Monster of the Week every episode? But, that would get repetitive pretty fast.

A coffin repairman? Eh, it might be a cute gag ONCE, but I don't know if it's got legs enough for multiple episodes.

The new host could be a "shapeshifter" cosplaying as something related to the movie every episode. But, that would BLOAT the costume budget of this show.

They could just make it a puppet, somehow. A living skeleton or monster...but we basically already have Sventoonie for that.

It might just be simple enough to change the type of monster hosts the show. We've had various vampires and mad scientists and ghouls already, on various late-night movie shows. Maybe a "rarer" monster? A mummy who's "wrappings" are made of movie film, maybe? A gargoyle that turns to stone during the day and watches B-movies all night? A multi-headed monster that argues with itself, with different people being the different heads?

Maybe go Quantum Leap with it. The new host is trapped inside the movie until the end of the movie. (That way you could work in the station breaks and Sven-surround parts into the character's backstory). And the next movie could be the leap home....

So, I don't know. I'm not sure what kind of new character or eventual replacement I want for this show.

Last edited:

Top Bottom