Depressing Beast Wars question

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, that's kind of how I view it.

Sort of like the growing nostalgia for PS1 era game graphics.

Game engine developers must be scratching their heads these days. They worked so hard to make sure even the lowest settings won't produce graphics like that, and then we work just as hard trying to force the graphics to look like that.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
There is a fairly massive, and flush, demographic which literally grew up thinking "Wow! Polygonal lara croft! So life like!" with even a hint of irony in it because it ACTUALLY WAS the most realistic, life like graphics to date.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and making game mods to turn games ugly is within the skill level of even the most basic computer users.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
With scant few exceptions (Mega Man Legends, Metal Gear Solid, maybe a few others), the 3D video game graphics of that age (which, incidentally, is around when Beast Wars was airing) felt like a big downgrade from what we had on SNES and 2D games on the same platform to me. It wasn't until the Dreamcast where I felt like "Alright, this is good."

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
With scant few exceptions (Mega Man Legends, Metal Gear Solid, maybe a few others), the 3D video game graphics of that age (which, incidentally, is around when Beast Wars was airing) felt like a big downgrade from what we had on SNES and 2D games on the same platform to me. It wasn't until the Dreamcast where I felt like "Alright, this is good."

Honestly.. I was one of the few people back in the day that liked the DOOM sprites more than the Quake Models.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I don't lump that whole era together. I consider the PS1 a different beast. N64 characters move like marionettes, and I can't unsee it. For me the PS1 warping and jiggling... I want to say "smooths it out" but that's wrong, because PS1 graphics are exactly the opposite of smooth. But it does something that my brain likes.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Honestly.. I was one of the few people back in the day that liked the DOOM sprites more than the Quake Models.
There was a definite drop in fidelity when we went from sprites, which were just getting better and better quality, to primitive polygonal models. The industry had gotten very good at rendering sprites but 3D graphics were still in their infancy. The PS1/N64 generation could have stood to have more sprite based games (like Symphony of the Night) as they worked through the transition.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't lump that whole era together. I consider the PS1 a different beast. N64 characters move like marionettes, and I can't unsee it. For me the PS1 warping and jiggling... I want to say "smooths it out" but that's wrong, because PS1 graphics are exactly the opposite of smooth. But it does something that my brain likes.
How do you mean? I wasn't really trying to lump anything together.

For me, there was 16-bit consoles, then 32/64 bit, and then 128 or whatever Dreamcast was, since they quit counting.

For Beast Wars, I was just pointing out it came out during the PS1 era, and around the time the N64 hit, which is an era people are getting nostalgic for. Which leads to the sort of irony that those video game visuals, which are subjectively worse, hold nostalgia for people, while I don't think the contemporary cartoons like Beast Wars have quite the same.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Just the opposite for me. I love the N64, but I always wished the PS1 would have stuck more with 2D stuff. The 3D graphics just weren't good. Games like FF8-9 could justify it by being just way too big to ever work on the N64, but it's largely games like SotN and MMX4-6 that I associate with the PS1.

At the most extreme, I actually bought a Dreamcast when it was a dead system just to play Soul Reaver. I had bought it for the PS1, but couldn't play it. The game's underwater graphics on the PS1 at the start of the game actually made me nauseous. Within minutes of starting, I had shut it off and started looking for alternate ways to play the game.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
How do you mean? I wasn't really trying to lump anything together.

For me, there was 16-bit consoles, then 32/64 bit, and then 128 or whatever Dreamcast was, since they quit counting.

For Beast Wars, I was just pointing out it came out during the PS1 era, and around the time the N64 hit, which is an era people are getting nostalgic for. Which leads to the sort of irony that those video game visuals, which are subjectively worse, hold nostalgia for people, while I don't think the contemporary cartoons like Beast Wars have quite the same.

I mean, you're dividing it by chronological eras, and I feel like 3D graphics of that era are distinct branches. A lot more visually distinct than SNES vs Sega Genesis.

So I get how someone could be feeling nostalgia for one branch of that 3D era, but not all of it. Someone could like one style but be repulsed by the others, because they're just very different things.

There was a definite drop in fidelity when we went from sprites, which were just getting better and better quality, to primitive polygonal models. The industry had gotten very good at rendering sprites but 3D graphics were still in their infancy. The PS1/N64 generation could have stood to have more sprite based games (like Symphony of the Night) as they worked through the transition.

Maybe PS1 works for me because the jagged edges remind me of sprites. It doesn't look as far removed from the sprite era as the N64's clearer polygons, but I don't want to see the polygons clearly.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Fair enough, I suppose. For me, there wasn't a marked enough difference between the two for me to really separate them, especially when there were a fair few games featured across both.

That said, I feel like Beast Wars looked better than either PS1 or N64, and yet, here we are, discussing why people don't like the primitive CGI...

Anonymous X

Citizen
Oh, it seems that yesterday (22nd) was the 28th anniversary of the Beast Wars pilot airing in the States. Doesn’t that make you feel old?

(I saw both parts of the pilot in August ‘96 at the fan meeting, which was held in the old-style “cram 20 people into someone’s living room” format. I enjoyed it.)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I didn't see the pilot when it first aired because I was too young at the time to even know what a "Beast Wars" was.

I only saw what I did of the show's first season because my older brother watched it. It wasn't until midway through season 2 when things got real that my young mind had finally developed enough to keep up with the show and follow its plot (as best as me and my brother could, that is, considering how erratic the new episodes first aired back then).

Top Bottom