DC original animated movies

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I think I must've fallen asleep three different times trying to get through Warworld.

Just terrible.

Glad I decided to preview it before buying the 4K release. What a revolting waste that would've been. Hopefully DC stick to re-releasing their older animated movies that haven't yet seen 4K releases, as they recent did with All-Star Superman are doing soon with Mask of the Phantasm.

While this is the first of them I've found completely unwatchable, the quality seems to be dropping in the last few releases.

Dessl0ck

Citizen
Ok, so I haven't seen Warworld yet, but finally got around to watching Legion, reading up on some reviews of it I saw that the next movie is going to be Crisis on Infinite Earths, I just have to ask...Why? The entire point of Crisis was to merge/simplify the different worlds DC had going on at the time, that is not an issue here, they essentially did this back when they made Crisis on Two Earths, but there IS only one continuity/earth at the moment, so this feels like a cash grab for anyone over 40. The ONLY way I can see this being pulled off, is if instead of the classic comic, they pulled in the different animated timelines they have done, BTAS-verse, Flashpoint/New52, and whatever the other one was, and then THIS is what will backdoor launch Gunn's new DCU leading into the Creature Commando's.
I just can't see any reason, and I am a total whore for DC Animation, but just.. why?

Edit: Saw Warworld, didn't hate it, it was ok for what it was, and what it was , was an interconnected series of Elseworlds issues I read some 20 years ago, duct taped together, and from WW's comment I assume they are all from different realities, hence Clark being "Just a baby".

Last edited:

diamondgirl

Citizen
"Mask of the Phantasm" was a good movie but it was very sad. I wish they could have ended it happily with Bruce getting the girl, sort of like in "Dark Knight Rises". That's what I didn't like about "Batman: The Animated Series. " They screwed over all the characters. It's depressing.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
"Mask of the Phantasm" was a good movie but it was very sad. I wish they could have ended it happily with Bruce getting the girl, sort of like in "Dark Knight Rises". That's what I didn't like about "Batman: The Animated Series. " They screwed over all the characters. It's depressing.
Mask of the Phantasm is not a love story. It's a cautionary tale about the self-destructive nature of vengeance and how it can ruin a person's life if they allow themselves to be consumed by it. Bruce and Andrea are mirror images of each other who fight for a crusade driven by vengeance that they both believe to be a just and righteous cause. But Bruce always straddles the line between fully giving into vengeance and rising above it, and is unwilling to cross that line. Whereas Andrea has crossed that line and has fully embraced the darkness that Bruce only superficially embodies as Batman because he knows how true darkness can destroy a person's life and make them just as bad as the criminals they seek to defeat.

diamondgirl

Citizen
The writers screwed Mr. Freeze over in "Batman and Mr. Freeze: Subzero" for no reason. Mr. Freeze devoted his life to saving his wife, and he succeeded. Yet he eventually ended up a disembodied head and his wife Nora marries another guy. These Batman writers must be sadists.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Yeah, if there was any DCAU villain who deserved a good ending, it was Victor. I recently re-watched all his episodes from Batman:TAS through to Beyond and, oh boy, did he get screwed over. His VA deserves a lot of credit, too.

I'd have really liked to see him get to live his new life in the future in that cloned body.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Batman and Catwoman successfully got together in the animated adaptation of "Batman: Hush", and somehow Batman messed it up at the end with his "no kill" rule which I think was dumb to begin with and should never have been introduced into the Batman mythos. Batman just keeps snatching defeat out of the mouth of victory. I hated seeing how he ended up in Batman Beyond. Yet, in the Justice League it made it seem like there was hope for Batman to get Wonder Woman because it was shown that the Batman Beyond universe was an alternate timeline from the Batman in Justice League because the Beyond Bruce Wayne said he did not remember ever going forward in time and talking to his future self.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Batman and Catwoman successfully got together in the animated adaptation of "Batman: Hush", and somehow Batman messed it up at the end with his "no kill" rule which I think was dumb to begin with and should never have been introduced into the Batman mythos. Batman just keeps snatching defeat out of the mouth of victory. I hated seeing how he ended up in Batman Beyond. Yet, in the Justice League it made it seem like there was hope for Batman to get Wonder Woman because it was shown that the Batman Beyond universe was an alternate timeline from the Batman in Justice League because the Beyond Bruce Wayne said he did not remember ever going forward in time and talking to his future self.

This could have been so beautiful:

hush_opera.jpg

It could have been so right.

diamondgirl

Citizen
DC's original animated movies are light years beyond anything Marvel has put out.

Marvel has done a good job of putting out alot of animated Spider-man cartoon series.

Here is my ranking of Spider-man animated cartoons:

1. Spider-man: The Animated Series
2. Spider-man 1981
3. 1960's Spider-man
4. Ultimate Spider-man
5. Spider-man and His Amazing Friends
6. Spectacular Spider-man
7. Spider-man: The New Animated Series.

There are two other Spider-man cartoons I have never watched. One was Spider-man Unlimited which looked weird and boring; I had no interest in it. There was another Spider-man 2017 cartoon that seems like nothing special; I found nothing oriignal about it. It seemed like a copy of Spider-man cartoons that came before it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

diamondgirl

Citizen
What does Spider-Man have to do with this thread?

Nothing really besides comparing it to DC animation. I could not find a thread discussing Spider-man animated cartoons and comics, and my breadth of input on Spider-man is so very limited and narrow that I did not feel right about starting a new thread.

So I tried to shoehorn Spider-man into this thread hoping it would be viewed as an expansion or a branch of the original topic.

Can you modify the title of this thread to somehow accommodate both Batman and Spider-man animated and comics discussion?🙏

I apologize and am very sorry if I offended anyone or overstepped. Thank you for allowing me to partake in this community of superheroes. Thank You. 🙏

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeah, if there was any DCAU villain who deserved a good ending, it was Victor. I recently re-watched all his episodes from Batman:TAS through to Beyond and, oh boy, did he get screwed over. His VA deserves a lot of credit, too.

I'd have really liked to see him get to live his new life in the future in that cloned body.

The scream when she died was haunting. Great voice and effects work.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I liked Batman Beyond but Return of the Joker was kind of sicky, particularly with what they did to Tim Drake.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I saw a preview of a new Justice League animated movie where there is a War World.

Isn't this a blatant rip-off of the War World that the Beyonder created in Marvel's Secret Wars, at least in the Avengers Assemble cartoon series.

Why are they doing this? How can they do this?

Dessl0ck

Citizen
I saw a preview of a new Justice League animated movie where there is a War World.

Isn't this a blatant rip-off of the War World that the Beyonder created in Marvel's Secret Wars, at least in the Avengers Assemble cartoon series.

Why are they doing this? How can they do this?

diamondgirl

Citizen
I hope DC does not make a Young Justice animated movie. It seems like a popular show, but I'd rather see the A team (e.g. Superman, Batman, Green Arrow, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc.). I'm not interested in watching the adventures of their sidekicks.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Not a huge fan of the animation style, or part 1... but as part 2 looks to be set in the Justice League's universe rather than the home universe of whoever those other people were, this might be better to watch.

Top Bottom