Christian Evangelicals - not all are made equal

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Well that certainty took long enough. Guess whomever is behind this account missed the fact that Gigaice is comfortable where he is spiritually.
Indeed. I'm in a good spot. G-d is G-d, and the "father" in Christian theology is the same G-d I pray to as a Jew. Ultimately I'm fine where I'm at.
That my idea of spirituality is more "pray to G-d on my own time when I feel I need Him" and less "follow this set of rules exactly" means there's flexibility there. If my bf's family invites me to mass one day I can go and it'll be cool, I don't need to stress or worry about this stuff. I'm not zen about much in life, but spiritually I'm at a very peaceful place.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
And God seems to be sending the Hound of Heaven for you, to bring you home.
"Home."
I'm both gay and Jewish, I'm of two families with two different ethno-religious makeups. What "home" is was always a question and a lot of this was teenage/early 20s me trying to find myself, trying to figure out my identity.

In the end I realized "home" isn't any one box, any one identity. I'm just me, and everything that entails. Finding peace in that and not chasing a desire to fit into boxes that are by their nature limiting was a huge revelation for me.

I appreciate the discussion, I truly do, but I'm in a very good spot.

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
One could also argue that there's a distinction between that and evangelising. Also, some religions are more driven by evangelism than others?
Seems like the only difference is that evangelizing is an attempt to convert someone to Christianity specifically.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Seems like the only difference is that evangelizing is an attempt to convert someone to Christianity specifically.
The term has been said to have parallel ones with Islam ("da'wah") and Buddhism (teaching the "Dharma"), so perhaps there is a broader term to encompass all of these actions?

diamondgirl

Citizen
Consciousness is an emergent property of the brain.

The research and evidence into quantum mechanics is showing more and more that consciousness comes first.

That's why you can take all the most powerful computers in the world and put them together and you still would not achieve consciousness, not even close.

Transformers lore has even evolved to align closer with this. In the 80's robotic consciousness was thought to emerge from hardware (ie. emergent from naturally occurring gears, levers, and pulleys). That did not work so they adjusted it to consciousness emerging from software programming. Say hello to Vector Sigma.

Well it became clear that it was neither hardware nor software, or the combination of both, so they realized consciousness has to come first. Ergo, "Starscream's Ghost".

And they took that truth and ran with it, introducing the All Spark in Beast Machines and the Dreamwave Generation One comics. And they haven't looked back since. The science, particularly at the quantum level, the supports the idea that we are actually ghosts in machines.

NovaSaber

Citizen
No, it's the opposite; it's more and more clear that changes to the brain cause changes to the personality, and that there is no aspect of thought that is not a function of the brain.

No neuroscientist even thinks about any supernatural causes for anything in the brain; they think about souls as little as biologists think about creationism, if not even less because there's no parade of clowns trying to get the existence of souls taught in public schools.

Also, I thought Christians were supposed to be against new age beliefs, which "everything supernatural is quantum" woo definitely falls into.

diamondgirl

Citizen
No, it's the opposite; it's more and more clear that changes to the brain cause changes to the personality, and that there is no aspect of thought that is not a function of the brain.

No neuroscientist even thinks about any supernatural causes for anything in the brain; they think about souls as little as biologists think about creationism, if not even less because there's no parade of clowns trying to get the existence of souls taught in public schools.

Also, I thought Christians were supposed to be against new age beliefs, which "everything supernatural is quantum" woo definitely falls into.

I always saw Dr. Wayne Dyer on PBS Public Television so I figured he must be mainstream. PBS Public Television is committed to sensible, educational, family-friendly content.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Jordan Peterson is obviously a very smart man,
He is obviously a very dishonest man about many things, including about how smart others think he is:
Another objection came from The Times reviewer James Marriott, because the blurb included from his review quoted him calling the book “A philosophy of the meaning of life… the most lucid and touching prose Peterson has ever written.”

In a now-deleted X post, Marriott noted that the ellipse covered up that his full sentence was “A philosophy of the meaning of life which is bonkers.”
Thirdly, there was Suzanne Moore of the Telegraph, who was mostly favorable to the book two years ago, giving it four out of five stars in her review. She noticed, however, that book cover’s quote only read “Wisdom combined with good advice” when her actual quote was “Hokey wisdom combined with good advice.”

Top Bottom