Christian Evangelicals - not all are made equal

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Do you, as a Christian, read the Koran or the Veda?

The only Jews who read the New Testament are those questioning their faith, or those curious about the beliefs of others.

diamondgirl

Citizen
No, I don't read the Koran. I don't even know what the Veda is.

The Old Testament and New Testament are part of the same book, the same story, even Jewish people will acknowledge that.

I was just wondering whether they are as well versed in the New Testament as they seem to be in the Old Testament.

The two parts mirror each other.

diamondgirl

Citizen
They are not the same book or the same story. Jesus is as totally irrelevant to us as Mohammed is to you.

I apologize. The Old Testament Jewish Bible is totally relevant to us Christians, so I just thought it was a two-way street. Like I said, I'm trying to learn. I'm sorry.

diamondgirl

Citizen
I heard this explanation of Jesus Christ being the fulfillment of the Old Testament that's pretty cool.

In the Old Testament the acts (ie. the sacrifices, rituals, etc.) were in and of themselves not sufficient for Salvation, just as a dollar bill has no intrinsic value. It's the fact that those acts and rituals of sacrifice were backed up by Jesus in the bank of Heaven that gave them value, just as a dollar bill is backed up by the gold at Fort Knox, or wherever it's kept.

Jesus when he came into human form became the proof coin of the value of those symbolic acts in the Old Testament.

Isn't that neat?

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
No, I don't read the Koran. I don't even know what the Veda is.
It's the core texts of the Hindu religion. Not the only sacred texts in the Hindu religion, but pretty much all of them connect back to the Vedic texts in one way or the other.(I could be wrong on this, I'm not a scholar of the Hinduism or even culturally linked to Hindu culture, but it is my understanding of it)

I brought it up to expose the absurdity of expecting people of other faiths to read texts that hold no real spiritual meaning to them.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
"I finally actually read the Bible" is actually one of the most common reasons people give for why they left Christianity anyway.

Half the people who claim to "believe the Bible" would fail a quiz about what the Bible actually says.
While I remain a believer, I really do have to agree with both clauses of this statement.

Last edited:

diamondgirl

Citizen
They are not the same book or the same story. Jesus is as totally irrelevant to us......

Jesus was Jewish and he knew the Old Testament backwards and forwards:

In the New Testament, Jonah is mentioned in the gospels of Matthew[45] and Luke.[46][47] In Matthew, Jesus makes a reference to Jonah when he is asked for a sign by some of the scribes and the Pharisees.[48][49] Jesus says that the sign will be the sign of Jonah:[48][49] Jonah's restoration after three days and three night inside the great fish prefigures His own resurrection.[48]

39He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. 40For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here."
— Gospel of Matthew, 12:39–41

NovaSaber

Citizen

In the New Testament, Jonah is mentioned in the gospels of Matthew[45] and Luke.[46][47] In Matthew, Jesus makes a reference to Jonah when he is asked for a sign by some of the scribes and the Pharisees.[48][49] Jesus says that the sign will be the sign of Jonah:[48][49] Jonah's restoration after three days and three night inside the great fish prefigures His own resurrection.[48]
Yes, people writing derivative works are usually familiar with the ones they're referencing (but see again that part where Jesus rides two donkeys because the author of Matthew misunderstood the older text), but that doesn't mean it goes both ways.

The Book of Mormon references the Bible a lot, and Mormons really do talk about its relation to the Bible a lot like the same way you're talking about the New Testament's relation to the Hebrew scriptures.

Also, you know, fanfic.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen

The Koran repeatedly mentions the Gospels and teaches that Jesus was a miracle-working virgin-birthed Messiah who will have a Second Coming. It's the same story. You should be a Muslim.

diamondgirl

Citizen
Is Jordan Peterson Christian? It's hard to tell. I think he is.

Jordan Peterson is obviously a very smart man, but I've only seen him on YouTube. Is that how he got famous?

I also see he is a regular guest on Joe Rogan, another very smart man. I think Joe Rogan is Christian.

Top Bottom