Charles Martinet, Retires from the role of Mario.

Deathy G1

Citizen
This makes me wonder if Nintendo will be attempting to use the movie cast as official voices now...

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I mean, he's been doing the voice for a long time now. Dude deserves to retire at some point.

I don't want to get into politics here, but I have absolutely nothing against Pratt. I haven't seen the movie yet though. So jury's out on his performance. I'm going to try and see it tonight. In any case, voice acting for movies and voice acting for video games are two different things. Who's to say Pratt would even want to take over video game Mario voice work?

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I mean... given the generally minimalistic nature of mario's speech in the games... They probably just sampled his voice and will use it till the files get corrupted, or accidentally deleted by the intern.

I hope he has a nice retirement, and that he negotiated rights with nintendo.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
In literally no universe will Nintendo use fuckin Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario in the games.

They're not gonna pay for a Hollywood actor to just record 'Wahoo let's-a go'

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
In literally no universe will Nintendo use fuckin Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario in the games.

They're not gonna pay for a Hollywood actor to just record 'Wahoo let's-a go'
As I said, not long term. As a one off? Well, I wouldn't bet on it, but such things HAVE been done before....

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
I don't want to get into politics here, but I have absolutely nothing against Pratt. I haven't seen the movie yet though.
I have, and while I consider it an incompetent attempt at wringing an entertaining 90 minutes out of the franchise, Mario's voice was not one of the reasons.

Even if they did, it wouldn't be something they could do for long. Those voice actors would demand far higher salaries.
And Nintendo being Nintendo, they might just be crazy enough to pay it.

MrBlud

Citizen
Nintendo doesn’t needlessly expend budget.

They aren’t going to pay 10x as much for Chris Pratt to record five lines.

I *do* wonder if this was more Martinet or Nintendo orchestrated though.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Arlo pointed this out back when Super Mario Wonder was announced.
So, I guess he was right.

I honestly didn't even notice the change during the Wonder presentation. So...I think they might even have a replacement all lined up. It's going to be a little weird now that I notice it, though.

Man...Martinet's been Mario basically my entire life. I'm going to miss him. I wish him all the best in retirement. He deserves it.

Blot

Citizen
I mean... given the generally minimalistic nature of mario's speech in the games... They probably just sampled his voice and will use it till the files get corrupted, or accidentally deleted by the intern.

I hope he has a nice retirement, and that he negotiated rights with nintendo.
I mean the opening to Mario Tennis Aces is downright offensive in how it just flagrantly regurgitates existing audio samples.

spikeriley

Citizen
Even if they did, it wouldn't be something they could do for long. Those voice actors would demand far higher salaries.

I agree. Chris Pratt and Jack Black are going to be very expensive, and chances are may be unavailable at times since they may be doing other movies (especially if Jack has to do any more Kung Fu Panda movies). Same with the other actors (including Seth Rogen, who is also tied to Kung Fu Panda, as he voices Master Mantis, and will also be busy with the sequel to TMNT Mutant Mayhem, as he is producer and the VA for Bebop in the film), so it will be pretty costly even for Nintendo to get the movie VAs to do their roles in video games (plus who will voice Wario and Waluigi, since those two were also done by Charles, but have not appeared in the movie?)

My guess is Nintendo will be holding auditions to find the legendary plumber and his brother and their two evil counterparts a new VA (or four, if they decide on it), but all I can say is, whoever they hire will not match up to the legendary performance of Charles Martinet.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
As was mentioned in the Arlo post, a replacement has already been cast. Not sure if the guy doing the voice in Wonder is there on a permanent basis or not, though. Maybe Martinet is having a hard time doing the Mario voice consistently due to aging vocal cords or some private health concern has caused him to step away. It doesn't SEEM like Nintendo and him have any bad blood over the change.

Top Bottom