Castlevania

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Of course, this thread can be used to talk about anything Castlevania. But I just wanted to say that a Castlevania Advance Collection has been released that includes Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow and Dracula X. It also includes a rewind feature, art gallery and a music player for each game. Absolutely gloriou.

I've been playing Circle of the Moon just because it's the first handheld Castlevania I ever played but never beat. I beat Aria of Sorrow before, but it'll be nice to play it on a bigger screen.

Honestly, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are my top favorite Castlevanias, but who knows if they'll ever figure out how to put DS games on a 1-screen system?

spikeriley

Citizen
Of course, this thread can be used to talk about anything Castlevania. But I just wanted to say that a Castlevania Advance Collection has been released that includes Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, Aria of Sorrow and Dracula X. It also includes a rewind feature, art gallery and a music player for each game. Absolutely gloriou.

I've been playing Circle of the Moon just because it's the first handheld Castlevania I ever played but never beat. I beat Aria of Sorrow before, but it'll be nice to play it on a bigger screen.

Honestly, Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin are my top favorite Castlevanias, but who knows if they'll ever figure out how to put DS games on a 1-screen system?

I have to agree, and with Dawn Of Sorrow, I have to wonder how a console release would do the magic seal drawing that is required to defeat bosses.

Who knows? The Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection had both ZX games and they found a way to implement the dual screen for those two games.

Caldwin

Citizen
If they were to take out the seal drawing (personally the only part of DoS that I didn't like) that's really the only thing keeping it from a single screen release. The map and sub+screen were the only other things that were on the bottom screen and they could just use Start/Select for those. I'm just not sure if they'd be willing to release it if they had to take out the seals.

Portrait of Ruin...I don't recall much that required both screens. There were a couple parts wre Charlte and Jonathan were on separate screens and you had to switch between them. That could conceivably be taken down to one shared screen though.

So really there are ways they could be released (with possibly the sacrifice of the seals in DoS). Question is if they'd fo through the troubl.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I mean for Dawn of Sorrow. If you played as Alucard and co, you didn't have to do the magic seal drawing. I imagine if they just implemented that for the whole game, it'd work.

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, all this Castlevania talk has gotten a couple songs stuck in my head. So pardon me for a sec... (also wanted to test to see how many YouTube vids you can post at once.

TerraEsperZ

Videogame Cartographer
Citizen
It's really too bad that they included Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES) instead of Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine CD) which is a much superior game.

I love the Game Boy Advance Castlevania games. As a matter of fact, I love them so much that I once made it my mission to assemble pixel-perfect full castle maps for all three games. Well, I got beaten to the punch by someone else for Harmony of Dissonance ☹️ but I still managed to do all of Circle of the Moon as well as Aria of Sorrow 😁.

If you want to admire the art for all three games, make sure to check those maps out!

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Presumably, they didn't include Rondo because it's already in another recent collection with Symphony. Shame that one isn't available on Switch. So from that perspective, it's nice that Dracula X did get included, since I don't know if it's had any sort of release since the SNES.

I'm more disappointed that they didn't include Castlevania Legends in any of these collections. Aside from other versions of Castlevania 1 (Vampire Killer, X68000, etc.) and the DS games, I think it might be the only 2D game left out.

Caldwin

Citizen
Dracula X was on the WiiU virtual console. It's an okay game. But as a "port" of Rondo,it just pales in comparison.

I already have the Rondo/Symphony collection on PS4. But it would be nice if it were available on Switch. The system is capabl. It would be nice to have all my Castlevania games in one place.

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Yeah, Sony puts up a lot of money to hold onto their exclusives, it seems.

I mean, FF7: Remake was supposed to be a timed exclusive, with that window expiring in April. All that happened on that front is that the game got a new PS5 edition. Still no word on PC or XBox ports.

Genshin Impact was originally announced to have a Switch port in the works, but that's completely gone up in smoke apparently. The game instead has a few PS-exclusive items, plus the game's only collaborative guest character in Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn, despite being a game heavily rooted in its own lore, rather than showing any interest at all in crossover promotions like virtually every other Gacha game.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Eh, I feel like the pandemic might be a plausible enough reason for those. The Castlevania 2-in-1 was well before that, though.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
I finally watched thru the Netflix anime and really enjoyed it. Was gonna go back and read the old thread back when people were commenting on it as it aired. Old forums nuked. Am sad.

Caldwin

Citizen
I watched seasons 1-3 as they came out. I tried watching season 4 but just couldn't get into it. I started over again last night and I'm enjoying it more. I must've just been in the wrong head-space the first time.

I honestly don't remember too much about season 3. But it is nice getting caught back up with it.

Caldwin

Citizen
I just beat Circle of the Moon. Go me! I really did have a lot more fun with it on Switch than I did Advance. Really glad I gave it a second chance.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
I'm really of two minds about stuff like the Advance Collection. on the one hand, I love the games, I'd love to play them on the TV, and I want to show support for the series. On the other hand, I'm a completionist. I've put so many hours into each one of these games. I don't think I have the time to replicate that, and I don't think I would fully enjoy them knowing that my good save files are locked away on another console.

I know I'm still going to get it eventually...

Caldwin

Citizen
Probably the same reason I don't want to go through Majora's Mask on 3DS. I spent so much time getting everything on N64...all...those...masks. I just don't think I could replicate it so I just don't even want to play the update.

But Circle of the Moon, I just couldn't get through on Advance (screen's too dark). So my Switch is a much better play through. I d know if I can do better on Aria of Sorrow, but I'm always up for some Soma.

I don't know why, but I never really cared for Harmony of Dissonance.

Top Bottom