Amazon preorder links:

Last edited:

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Good pictures up on Amazon as well.

With the addition of a 5mm hole, some of those Pet Shop Boys would make good "Beast Wars Minicons."

BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB3.jpg

BB4.jpg

BB5.jpg

BB6.jpg

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My one complaint is that they seem to have settled into the less-detailed paint application type faces that had started to become the norm in the last wave.

Edit: I guess I should say single-color. The old faces weren't necessarily more detailed, but often used a couple of colors to make the details pop more. Back in the first few series, the Hamster would have looked more like Rhinox's little brother here:

hamster 2.jpg

Last edited:

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Still processing all this awesome on too little sleep, but it looks like we have the usual 24 singles, 5-packs and 8-packs, just now split up between 5 teams overall. Two split up in the 5-packs, two split up in the 8-packs, and one (Oil Slicks, apparently oil-covered redecos) scattered across all of them. Is that right?

If so, this seems like a more contained series, which I appreciate ("75 characters" versus the glut we had before). I hope the Amazon exclusivity isn't going to cause problems. Blind packing and ordering sight-unseen are a rough combo, and with reduced availability that's even less fun. And I already need to figure out how to unload those vehicles.

Still, loving these. That Autobot logo is a definite get. And the toyline that gave us a pet rock, a mug of hot chocolate, a pizza slice, and a stapler continues to be the gift that keeps on giving, now offering a 90s mouse, a toilet brush, a straight-up poo pile, and a freaking turkey.

71vVVQbNeaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81XgqYRhoGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81TyIfjPAhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

ZootyCutie

Citizen
I'm glad the "oil slick" finish for some of the characters weren't ditched from that rumor, I still love that aesthetic for a color scheme.

Vexwing

Not dead
Citizen
There were some cheeky lil' references on the BotBots revealed today; not only the Transformers brand with Kremzeek and Megatron on a genericized-to-be-legally distinct Star Wars Han Solo blaster but also to the Hasbro/WotC-owned Dungeons & Dragons!

BotBotsSWKremzeek.jpg

BotBotsDnd.jpg

The dragon head icon being from the D&D logo was immediately obvious, but I'm having trouble placing the other two. I don't think they're from D&D (at least not 5e), and they don't seem to line up with anything from MtG or Hero Quest based on my Google searches.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Also, I do wonder if they ever actually produced the series 6 that the online catalog from last year was promoting.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
CV5svq8.png

Not that BotBots have been completely consistent, but the aesthetics in this particular series are weird. Realistic cat that contains a cartoon crazy cat lady, neither of which fit with the established robot style. Or the actual BotBots cartoon.

RV2nY6h.jpg

Mad Butcher!

rQQEalS.jpg

Little Green Man! ...in barf?

AleBafy.jpg

Feels like they forgot to add a proper head here....

accmJgt.jpg

It's just Spud Muffin again.

8cyA7wX.jpg

The bone's got a real unusual bot mode.

v1s4HN4.jpg

XENOMORPH GRAPES

Only available in $40, $60, $70 sets?! Yeesh. $15 for an 8-pack where you only wanted one or two was bad enough.
EDIT: And they don't come out for another full year. Friggin' hell.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Couple more things I've noticed that I love:

1 - The snake from the pet store group is totally a stealth Cobra-Kai crossover
2 - That Atari joystick from the video game group is on-point, and represents a large part of my childhood (yes, I know I'm old.)

Looking forward to these when they eventually do come out.

ZootyCutie

Citizen
I've noticed both Shopkins and Grossery Gang, the two blind bag brands that were around when a lot of BotBots was probably being conceptualized, also fell into the "we're running out of ideas, let's make actual animals" trappings for later seasons for inanimate object-heavy lines.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Only available in $40, $60, $70 sets?! Yeesh. $15 for an 8-pack where you only wanted one or two was bad enough.
EDIT: And they don't come out for another full year. Friggin' hell.

Those are retail cases. the $70 is for an entire case of the blind packed singles. The 60 is for a shipping box of the large multipacks like a Target would receive, etc.

Why they are only selling them this way is shrug. It's a weird choice. But the product descriptions seem clear.

-ZacWilliam, also yes the aesthetics of some of them are very removed from previous sets in a way that makes me wonder if a new designer was put on some of their faces and such.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Question - Does anyone know what the playing card repaint with the skull is meant to be? My first thought was Tarot, but I'm not sure that's it.

-ZacWilliam, he looks interesting regardless.

Top Bottom