Transformers Beast Wars Comics.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Transformers Comics.jpg
    Transformers Comics.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 94

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Interesting thing about Razorbeast's upcoming appearance in this series: he was chosen because of Hasbro vetoing the comic writer's original character choice. Erik Burnham wanted to bring in a different Beast Wars character, but Hasbro said "No, that character is off limits." So he went with Razorbeast instead. Makes you wonder who it was originally and why Hasbro stepped in and forbade that character's use. Burnham wasn't allowed to say who it was nor what their beast mode was since that would have given away its identity.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Interesting thing about Razorbeast's upcoming appearance in this series: he was chosen because of Hasbro vetoing the comic writer's original character choice. Erik Burnham wanted to bring in a different Beast Wars character, but Hasbro said "No, that character is off limits." So he went with Razorbeast instead. Makes you wonder who it was originally and why Hasbro stepped in and forbade that character's use. Burnham wasn't allowed to say who it was nor what their beast mode was since that would have given away its identity.

That's... really weird given they let them make brand new characters for this story. Sadly just not enough info to do anything but speculate wildly. Put me down for it being a Beast Wars 2/Neo character (Big Convoy?) and Hasbro wanted them to stick with a US cast.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
That's... really weird given they let them make brand new characters for this story. Sadly just not enough info to do anything but speculate wildly. Put me down for it being a Beast Wars 2/Neo character (Big Convoy?) and Hasbro wanted them to stick with a US cast.
The only BW character that comes to mind that I could see Hasbro putting their foot down on is BW Grimlock, but it's fun to wonder if it could have been someone without any ties to G1.

I guess we'll have to see what kind of role Razorbeast plays. If he emerges from his pod a newly born Maximal, that'll make it harder to figure out who he replaced. But if he emerges as a preexisting person from Cybertron who was put into stasis, that might make it easier.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
Yeah Grimlock is the only one I can think of that they might say no to, I thought the cameo in issue 6 could have been setting up his appearance in the comic later.

I suppose maybe it was a BW2 or Neo character but I can't think of any reason Hasbro would say no to them.

But holy moley, Razorbeast looks great on that cover, I'm excited they went with him just from that.

Another thought, with all the pods coming down so early we should see non-Fuzor and Transmetal 2 versions of characters, unless they don't want to (or can't) use them and go with new characters, but we've already seen Protoform X's pod in the first issue.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Just read #9. An interesting character piece. Razorbeast is very likable and I've very glad that he was not killed off. Hope to see more of him interacting with more of the main cast in forthcoming issues.

electricidad

Citizen
It was a good done-in-one story. I like that I don't really know where this is going, and we're doing some meaningful character work.

The past two issues in particular have been good stand alone stories. I think this is the book's bread and butter: strong character pieces that push forward a larger narrative.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
The more they get away from the original cartoon premise, the more interested I'm getting. Giving depth to the Maximals/Predacons as factions instead of the blatent "good guys/bad guys" of the original gets a big thumbs up for me. Especially getting to see a Maximal and a Predacon working together without animosity, if only for a brief moment, and without it ending with them both on the same side is really something Transformers could stand to do more in the future.

Art is definitely an aquired taste, but I'm good with it. It's almost like Beast Wars: Animated.

Loving the Vok as mad scientists instead of enigmatic plot devices. If you're going to bring them back, doing something new with them is appreciated.

Between this and where the main series is going, I'm pretty stoked about the state of TF comics.

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
Things are still kinda bland, but this issue was probably the best yet. Lots of time getting into Skold's head, and it's starting to feel like we're diverging appreciably from the show with the introduction of Razorbeast.

I still think Burnham is kinda missing the finer points of some of the characters (here, mostly Dinobot), though.

The whole Megatron/Terrorsaur convo lampshading travelling back in time has me wonder if these guys haven't actually travelled back to the Ark on Earth, which I'm really hoping is the case.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The whole Megatron/Terrorsaur convo lampshading travelling back in time has me wonder if these guys haven't actually travelled back to the Ark on Earth, which I'm really hoping is the case.
In that interview I mentioned above where Burnham said that Razorbeast was originally gonna be someone else that Hasbro vetoed, Burnham also revealed that the Ark and its occupants are currently "not on the table" for this series.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Yeah, since this issue reveals that this planet is being treated like some sort of Vok Intergalactic Wildlife Preserve due to the Ironwolves...I'm guessing we'll be getting some sort of reveal by issue 12. This probably isn't even Earth. I'm not sure where this is going...which is good!

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I was worried Razorbeast wasn't going to make it to the end, then remembered the solicits for #10 mention the Maximal's new member, but the tension was there.

It did a good job in one page to show Skold's past. Manta Ray you traitor! You were only a Maximal in Uprising, but it was a good use of them.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So many cameos on Page 12:

Skold's flashback on page twelve is a veritable bonanza of random characters. The Maximal trio who bully Skold are based on the McDonald's-exclusive characters Manta Ray, Rhino, and Panther; while Manta Ray was originally described as a Predacon, she was reimagined as a Maximal in the Beast Wars: Uprising prose stories. And, speaking of Uprising, Bighorn and Stiletto appear on the same page, both using the bodies Josh Burcham designed for them in the prose story "Burning Bridges". The rest of the characters are all based on various Pretenders from the original Transformers toyline, including Stranglehold, Submarauder, and Vroom.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well I'm still not hyped about the art in the book but I'm loving the divergence from the show's story now that we've gotten further in. The great part of this is the fact that our cast isn't limited as much by rendering restraint. Razorbeast becoming a cast member is awesome after he stole the lead in the previous mini series. The downside is the new characters I have to find a voice of their own in my head compared to the classic cast who I can hear reading their lines.

But the artwork continues to be a point of dislike for me. I especially hate in the latest issue how Scorponok's tail just becomes a thin lined @.

Fenix Twilight

Citizen
I forget if I said this on the old board, it took me awhile to figure out what was bothering me about Dinobot, he has normal five finger hands.

After the last issue I was looking forward to seeing Razorbeast with the Maximal's, annnnnd I did technically see him with them, but he only spoke one sentence the whole issue.

I liked the flashback seeing Wheeljack was neat.

Yeah it bothers me when Scorponok's tail and Tarantulas's legs are squiggles.

Top Bottom