ASOIAF: Winds of Winter is still only 75% complete after 12 years...

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Posted on Reddit:

To put it in terms easy to understand, when the last book came out, Obama was in his first term, Tesla was just making an electric Lotus sports car, and the first seasons of Game of Thrones and Walking Dead had just finished airing.

I really am at the point where I am wondering if he ever intends on actually finishing the series.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I started with book 1 when it came out. Reread it when book 2 came out. Reread both when book 3 came out. Was pissed off when 4 took five years but bought it and I THINK I read it. By the time 5 came out after six years I said screw this series, it's not that good and I do not have any desire to read it again from the start which I would absolutely need to to remember what was happening and I never bought it and never bothered to watch the TV show. He successfully killed all my interest even before this 13 year gap.

Conversely The Name of The Wind series seems equally unlikely to ever finish at this point but only has two books to reread and I remember LOVING them so I'm still in on that one if it ever happens.

-ZacWilliam, meanwhile Brandon Sanderson is kinda better than both and his output is ridiculous.

Noip

I'll think of something later.
Citizen
Intends to? Probably. Really cares all that much? Doesn't seem to honestly.

Probably a case of "if I get around to it".

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I started with book 1 when it came out. Reread it when book 2 came out. Reread both when book 3 came out. Was pissed off when 4 took five years but bought it and I THINK I read it. By the time 5 came out after six years I said screw this series, it's not that good and I do not have any desire to read it again from the start which I would absolutely need to to remember what was happening and I never bought it and never bothered to watch the TV show. He successfully killed all my interest even before this 13 year gap.

Conversely The Name of The Wind series seems equally unlikely to ever finish at this point but only has two books to reread and I remember LOVING them so I'm still in on that one if it ever happens.

-ZacWilliam, meanwhile Brandon Sanderson is kinda better than both and his output is ridiculous.

dcf.jpg

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Honestly? I kept waiting for the series to finish before I even STARTED on this series. I knew waiting between books would probably be torture for me if I didn't. Never watched the show, either. And at this point...I'm not sure if the ending would actually be worth it or not, if it's similar to what I heard about the show's ending?

Unfortunately, I'm kind of expecting a Wheel of Time situation with this series. It'll only finish after the original author dies, and someone else finishes it for the publisher.

As I understand it, this ONE book is supposed to be about 1,700 pages long, if it ever finishes. The ENTIRETY of Lord of the Rings is about 1,400 pages long (Depending on your version). Are you REALLY telling me that ONE volume of your ongoing series NEEDS to be longer than ALL of Lord of the Rings?

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Reminds me of how Robert Jordan used to joke that the twelfth and final Wheel of Time book would be so long that it would have to include its own library cart. Sanderson ended up splitting it into three, and they were each still some of the longest in a series of very long books.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Honestly? I kept waiting for the series to finish before I even STARTED on this series. I knew waiting between books would probably be torture for me if I didn't. Never watched the show, either. And at this point...I'm not sure if the ending would actually be worth it or not, if it's similar to what I heard about the show's ending?

Unfortunately, I'm kind of expecting a Wheel of Time situation with this series. It'll only finish after the original author dies, and someone else finishes it for the publisher.

As I understand it, this ONE book is supposed to be about 1,700 pages long, if it ever finishes. The ENTIRETY of Lord of the Rings is about 1,400 pages long (Depending on your version). Are you REALLY telling me that ONE volume of your ongoing series NEEDS to be longer than ALL of Lord of the Rings?
He does have a history of writing a giant book and splitting it into two books for this series.

Top Bottom