April Fools! Real Transformers developments that would have seemed fake years earlier

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ah, the famous Absence of a Loving God set.

Still in stock on BBTS.

I'd get this, for the Rodimus mainly... if I either had lots more money, or they dropped the price a bit more (I'm trusting that's not the original MSRP?).

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Well you better get your set fast. There are only 16 left in stock!

There are so many "I can't believe that this is real" moments for me from the past 20-or-so years. A lot have been mentioned already, but I'll throw in the following:

-An actual-ass MP Skyfire. Not Jetfire, Skyfire. And he looks like he stepped out of the TV. I'm looking at it right now and I am still in such disbelief that I want to stab my brain with a Q-tip.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd get this, for the Rodimus mainly... if I either had lots more money, or they dropped the price a bit more (I'm trusting that's not the original MSRP?).

It would be cheaper to buy a standalone Titanium Rodimus. Even boxed ones are pretty cheap. There aren't many of us still buying Titanium Transformers.

I recommend experiencing it. For better or for worse, the Titanium designers never knew what couldn't be done. An all-in-one Rodimus without a separate trailer is an ambitious idea. The result isn't pretty but it's interesting and kinda fun.

Shadewing

Citizen
It would be cheaper to buy a standalone Titanium Rodimus. Even boxed ones are pretty cheap. There aren't many of us still buying Titanium Transformers.

I recommend experiencing it. For better or for worse, the Titanium designers never knew what couldn't be done. An all-in-one Rodimus without a separate trailer is an ambitious idea. The result isn't pretty but it's interesting and kinda fun.

I respect a lot of Titanium figures just for what they tried to accomplish. Some work a lot better then others, but Rodimus is about mid-way in my opinion. He's not as good as guys like RiD Prime or G1 Ultra Magnus, but he's still miles a head of things like G1 Soundwave or that weird Megatron. This was a team that had no experience making transformers, and sometimes it shows very much, but then you get the ones that just really stand out for being good or being creative.

Shadhausen

Citizen

Rufus

Citizen
Picture it. Hasbro, 1990. "We're excited to announce: ACTION MASTERS! These are brand new toys of your favorite TRANSFORMERS characters, but, get this....."

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
And actually sort of look like the Cartoon and Comics depict them look like!
Krok: "I suppose so. I mean, I was prominent in the comic...."
Krok.jpg

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
I respect a lot of Titanium figures just for what they tried to accomplish. Some work a lot better then others, but Rodimus is about mid-way in my opinion. He's not as good as guys like RiD Prime or G1 Ultra Magnus, but he's still miles a head of things like G1 Soundwave or that weird Megatron. This was a team that had no experience making transformers, and sometimes it shows very much, but then you get the ones that just really stand out for being good or being creative.
Titaniums are bad, but they are a fascinating kind of bad. They are the Ed Wood movies of Transformers.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So much of what's been the norm for at least the past several years of the toyline has been ridiculous. It's a hell of a time to be a fan, with the main concern now being whether or not Hasbro is still super invested in breaking wholly new ground, rather than revisiting and updating all the old stuff, but all our old favorites are getting their flowers for sure.

It's hard to throw a brick at the TF toy lineup from like 2018 on and NOT hit something that would have been an infuriating "ugh I wish this weren't a April fool's joke and they were REALLY making that". G2 Jhiaxus? Almost all the ehobby reissue redecos? Canceled G2 decos? Galaxy Shuttle? An entirely new-mold Sky Lynx sold at his own price point? WFC Netflix Bumblebee AND Origin Bumblebee? Botcon decos at retail? Scramble style combiners, a transforming ARK (that isn't even an Animated rehash but an all new thing), a transforming HISS Tank, the War Dawn bunch, Magenta Hot Rod, Transformers who become hot dogs and doughnuts and cupcakes (oh my), a Delorean AND an Ecto-1 AND the X-Men Blackbird, Pretenders that actually hide Transformers inside (followed by another take on the designs), Toxitron, Nightprowler...

It's gotten to the point where the real April Fool's Day joke would be to claim Hasbro wrote new lyrics to "We Didn't Start The Fire" listing all the deep cuts and wild things they've delivered in recent years.

(Makes note to save this for next year)

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Before today I would of said the Nemisis and now have her
I still stare at CW Devy in disbelief

Oh, Devastator - that is another one that I still have to pinch myself about, years later. I remember a time (not all that long ago, in the grand scheme of things) when the notion of an updated G1 Devastator was laughable. "It'll never pass the drop test", "Hasbro will never release six figures in the same color", etc.

Top Bottom