April Fools! Real Transformers developments that would have seemed fake years earlier

Rufus

Citizen
I was thinking about what day it is today, and then started thinking about Transformers, and how the modern Transformers brand has been doing a LOT, including some really OUT THERE things. Things that, if announced during an earlier time in the fandom, would have sounded like an absolutely unpossible April 1st joke.

I've thought of a bunch, I'll list a couple to get thing started. But yeah, what things did Transformers make a reality that would have seemed absolutely crazy years earlier?

Hasbro doing (multiple) mainlines devoted to G1 cartoon accuracy - We loved our "Classics". Yes there were some liberties taken with Grimlock, Bumblebee, Optimus... Cliffjumper, Mirage, Megatron... er... but these were so close, or at least inspired by our G1 guys! Better gobble them up while we can, because without a major media push, there's no way Hasbro will keep doing characters like these!

Beast Wars live action - So the original news of a movie studio getting the rights to make a live action Transformers movie wasn't so much a surprise to me as an "about time", it seemed like an inevitability with what special effects were capable of at the time. (Heck, I still think they could have done one in the '90s and would still love to see that version!) I was more worried about if they would mess it up (...) or if it would just end up in development hell. Once the Movieverse became the juggernaut it was, the idea of introducing Beasts to it was always seen as a joke or way out there rumor. Anyway, here we are...

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
If we go back far enough where mainlines devoted to G1 accuracy was only a dream, then there's a lot more that you can add, like Straxus getting his own mold, new Scramble City combiners that can actually scramble with each other, multiple JG1 guys getting accurate mainline figures, fan-funded anime-accurate Deathsaurus(or however his name is spelled nowadays)...

But there's some recent ones that would ahve come as a shock even more recently than then:
Mainline G2-accurate Jhiaxus
An actual mainline Quintesson figure
Multiple actual vehicle-accurate figures of the MTMTE Cybertronian designs WITH their G1 robot modes as retail releases

Just for a few that might have come as a shocker even just around the time of the Prime trilogy.

Rufus

Citizen
fan-funded anime-accurate Deathsaurus(or however his name is spelled nowadays)...
Absolutely. Along with "Hasbro is going to do a $600 transforming Unicron toy but you have to preorder it directly from them so they know there's enough interest." I can touch the thing and it still doesn't seem real.

All of the Crossover figures feel like internet pranks. Especially with Ectotron and Gigawatt's G1 packaging, it really takes them to '80s fanboy levels.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
Legacy Jhiaxus would have been mine. If he had been a retool or something sure, but the fact that we got a new G2 accurate (mostly) mold for Jhiaxus is nuts.

Actually, you know what the weirdest thing about modern Transformers? That's there's an entire thriving market for unlicensed Transformers stuff that seems to be peacefully coexisting alongside of Hasbro's official releases, sometimes enhancing them in the case of stuff like addon kits or stickers. It's utterly bonkers and feels like a ridiculous scenario now, let alone twenty years ago.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I remember when ANY Arcee toy was a pipe dream, or Ironfist, now you have to clarify 'which one from which line'. But I also was around on Ben Yee's old Beast Wars board when everyone kept repainting their Transmetal Waspinators in G1 Starscream colors, or arguing that if "Rampage" and "Silverbolt" were rumored to be in the show it was PROOF that we'd get Superion and Predaking on the show. The entire fandom has long moved past what used to be 'reasonable expectations' of the past.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
What about an officially licensed VW Bumblebee? A G1 Bumblebee at that! There was a time when Porsche weren’t even willing to talk to Hasbro about toy licenses, and now? We’ve gotten an ENTIRE MOVIE LINE filled with VW Bugs. And a Generations figure. TWO Masterpiece figures, and even a dang Goldbug.
And now we have a chance to get a real Porsche Jazz given the appearance of a classic Porsche in the newest film.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Way back in the murky early days, if you had told me there would be a line where girls kissed Transformers to give them super-powers to fight dick-tongued Megatron clones, I would've laughed and then asked what the hell you'd been drinking.

Thinking back on it now, I still wonder what the hell they were drinking.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Way back in the murky early days, if you had told me there would be a line where girls kissed Transformers to give them super-powers to fight dick-tongued Megatron clones, I would've laughed and then asked what the hell you'd been drinking.

More surprising, we now even have nearly the entirety of that series fully translated into English! Meaning some poor souls actually took the effort to DO that ungodly task, and all for professional purposes.

Rufus

Citizen

No respectable (or un-respectable) fansite would have dreamt that up to use as an April Fools joke, way too out there!

Announcing the original Marvel comic series was going to continue with 20 more issues, with Furman/Wildman/Baskerville returning to work on it was a good one.

Beast Wars Retrax being re-released.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
AbsenceofALovingGod.jpeg

I don't know if anything will top this.

I actually had this idea when we started planning this year's April Fool's story, until I remembered that it actually existed and was sold with complete seriousness.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
View attachment 13040

I don't know if anything will top this.

I actually had this idea when we started planning this year's April Fool's story, until I remembered that it actually existed and was sold with complete seriousness.
Ah, the famous Absence of a Loving God set.

Still in stock on BBTS.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Imagine if they fixed the joints for that release but we never noticed because none of us bought it.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
More surprising, we now even have nearly the entirety of that series fully translated into English! Meaning some poor souls actually took the effort to DO that ungodly task, and all for professional purposes.
Yeah....
PLEASE_MAKE_IT_STOP!.png

...I don't know if there's enough compensation in all the worlds for that.

(In the style of the old G.I Joe PSAs)
"But now we know!"
"And knowledge can be a dangerous thing!"
"S-C-P!!!"

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
On a lighter note, finding out that PSAs for the Transformers cartoon were scripted, fully animated, voiced, and somehow never aired was most unexpected.

I was also amused that the "Running Away from home is not the answer!" PSA was delivered by the Autobot that ran away from home in both Marvel and Dreamwave continuities....

Plutoniumboss

Citizen

Top Bottom