40th Anniversary Haslab: RID2001 Omega Prime

Shadewing

Citizen
I been charged!

I doult they'll do them as a Haslab but they'll likely end up as a regluar retail again

Considering God Bomber was kinda godawful last time, and that Haslabs keeps being "Leader and Friend combiners" God Ginrai/Powermaster Prime and God/Apex Bomber both fit that theme, and would be another "Optimus" They can offer.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
what are you talking about legends godbomber was awesome i love how his arms constantly fall off and i have literally never been able to transform him back into vehicle mode since getting him

at least super ginrai was cool and i got the minerva headmaster out of the set.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
Considering God Bomber was kinda godawful last time, and that Haslabs keeps being "Leader and Friend combiners" God Ginrai/Powermaster Prime and God/Apex Bomber both fit that theme, and would be another "Optimus" They can offer.

Godbomber has never exactly been the greatest of desgins to start with, in a sense, he was the first weaponizer that was of serious note, the first one I'm aware of comes with Metroplex but not really had any media to them, where's Godbomber appeared in the Masterforce show thou we in the west didn't become aware of his existance until the internet early days

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Godbomber has never exactly been the greatest of desgins to start with, in a sense, he was the first weaponizer that was of serious note, the first one I'm aware of comes with Metroplex but not really had any media to them, where's Godbomber appeared in the Masterforce show thou we in the west didn't become aware of his existance until the internet early days
Hey, learning that Sky Lynx contained dinosaur transform static might have been the single most important Transformer moment of our day!

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
I do wonder if, with Deathsarus getting 2 extra micros after his campaign closed, might be giving people false expectations regarding this or any future HasLabs.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This has been a real rollercoaster for me.

I knew from the announcement that this was an inevitable funding. It's one of the best-looking projects they've done, and really it seems to deliver on the idea of upgrading this popular design set. That there were even people wondering what they changed (or would change) does speak to the excellence of the originals, but the opportunity to revisit these with more current engineering and materials and the less retail-affected HasLab budget is a very intriguing one. I'm very happy for everyone who's into it, and am glad it's gotten backed (again, inevitably so) and that everyone's gonna get what seems like an awesome set.

Now, there were some issues with the size of these in terms of meshing with the rest of the mainline collection, but this set seemed like one that I might eventually consider getting another way.

But what really gave me pause was that, right around the time these were announced, a preorder I had with a local specialty store for Deathsaurus came due.

And while I had financially prepared for that, the reality of dropping such a big stack of cash in one go for this huge thing packed with also-huge and (honestly) what felt like superfluous stuff was a pretty sobering moment. Not that there's any issue with the quality of that OR this current offering. Just a stark reminder of my current ability to play in that realm of "costs this much" and "is this size"/"takes up this much space". Especially for a character like Deathsaurus that I didn't really have that kind of attachment to (less than the RID2001s, for sure) but that I'd talked myself into getting since I'd gotten the Victory Saber set. (Which, oddly, I didn't feel that kind/degree of sorta-buyers remorse after getting, despite me being as not-attached to them as Deathsaurus?)

(Also oddly, I haven't been able to talk myself into selling Deathsaurus either.)

The RID2001 period was a great time for me as an online Transformers fan. The air crackled with possibility, with the Beast era engineering being applied to vehicles and the Japanese media being adapted to the US, and with so much feeling invigoratingly new for the brand. I have so much love for RID2001 as a brand period (a shade more than the fiction, although that kind of fresh sandbox was also lots of fun.) And so these designs will always be enticing, and tbh if much simpler retail-compliant versions had been available I'd probably have jumped at them. But I'm having to sit this one out, and while I'm SURE I'll be consumed by the FOMO once they see release, I'm feeling better about that more and more right now.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I think it went over so well because it’s basically what adult fans want out of Generations executed near-perfectly, but unlike Star Saber and Deathsaurer, it’s from media that was distributed worldwide.

Lobjob

Citizen
I mean, with the constant rereleases, essentially of new characters for Western markets, Deathsaurus and Star Saber were must own. Omega Prime here is a wonderful rendition, but I still own the Car Robots and RID2001 versions, so while I think he rules, I was okay passing on him.

If I'm being honest, my recent collecting habits have sidewined in to spending goofy money on vintage G.I. Joe. Things are getting wild over here.

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon
Citizen
Still feels kinda weird not backing a TF HasLab, especially right when I'm finally setting up a place where I can properly display them. But he's just too big. There's no place I could add him to any part of my collection where he would fit in, and I have no interest in him as a standalone piece. If/when I want to add a RiD Prime to any display, the original will have to make do.

Really hoping this does lead to some more RiD figures in the next few years though. I know Sky-Byte and Side Burn are coming. If we can get a Commander Gigatron and the Predacon trio, I'll be very happy.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
For 'water' effects, I'd noted before that some of the Tricranius ones might work well with the ladder, I finally figured out where I left them. Not the best picture, but it gives an idea of what I was thinking for Optimus.

53593375517_fdca39902f_o.jpg

Edit: I should note these are really unstable due to weight, I assume the ladder nozzle sockets will hold them better than the HISS guns little nubs.

Last edited:

Top Bottom