40th Anniversary Haslab: RID2001 Omega Prime

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I feel like if they tried to do that, people would just say that that line could have easily been done at retail, either as mass retail or a store exclusive line.

In other words, its a no win thing, much like with Omega Prime, where I believe on some forms some fans are complaining about the fact they are making the two bots Haslab instead of regluar retail

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's just salt. Having to miss out feels bad. Especially with the 'this is your one chance ever' factor. Titans get repaints and reissues. Masterpiece gets repaints and reissues. With HasLab your finances better be in place right now or you're just out of luck forever.

MrBlud

Citizen
Even at retail, these would still be two Commanders so you’re already at $180 ANYWAY.

At that point, what’s another $70?

Although yes that would also possibly mean sales or coupons and you’d have far longer to save for it too.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I honestly would like to see the concept art for the Grimlock retool, just to gage what might of been and what they would of done with the mold, thou it would of likely been a major retooling, given the fact that Grimlock wings in robot mode form the chest of the Dino mode, but then again, they might of simply gone and retooled the heads and called it a day, kind of what they did with Skylynx in the Power of the Primes line!

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Even at retail, these would still be two Commanders so you’re already at $180 ANYWAY.

At that point, what’s another $70?

Although yes that would also possibly mean sales or coupons and you’d have far longer to save for it too.
You're forgetting that if the new starting point were two Commanders, their new whining demand would be for both to be at the Leader price point, widening that gap again. Moving goalposts make everything pointless.

But yeah, I get being salty. It's rough to have to miss out, but it's also difficult to justify the (not insignificant) cost unless it's something really meaningful. And at these prices "meaningful" tends to need to mean something more than "crossing it off the Have They Remade This list".

Of course, the solution to that isn't to insist a replacement offering at your preferred price point would have been the right idea. I'd love a Tidal Wave at Commander class, sure, but that doesn't make it any less cool or worthwhile that they made a Titan class one (that nevertheless includes Megatron-appropriate parts).

ZacDeath

WWOPD
Citizen
I was hoping they would have fixed Ultra Magnus's wonky proportions, then I looked up pics of the original figure. They are definitely better. Also, does this mean the next Haslab will be Gigatron?

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I was hoping they would have fixed Ultra Magnus's wonky proportions, then I looked up pics of the original figure. They are definitely better. Also, does this mean the next Haslab will be Gigatron?

I would say it means the odds of getting Gigatron in some form in the next 4-5 years goes up to about 85%.

-ZacWilliam, nothing is definite and he could
show up anywhere from Leader (probably not, but possible) to Commander (even more likely size-wise) to Haslab m.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
If nothing else, vintage copies of the original RID Megatron/Galvatron can be found pretty easily for prices below $100 on eBay.

Particularly the Hasbro versions. Only the original Takara versions are expensive, but the Hasbro versions were barely any different.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
I think RID Megatron is likely to become a mass retail release if only for dodging the nowin situation of somehow releasing a Galvatron within the mechanics of Haslab.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
They could just do a nice nod to Generations 2.0 Galvatron by designing the RID version first as a Haslab entry, scrapping it, and then doing a mass-market release that still has weird, "path not taken" elements all over it.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
They could just do a nice nod to Generations 2.0 Galvatron by designing the RID version first as a Haslab entry, scrapping it, and then doing a mass-market release that still has weird, "path not taken" elements all over it.
Heh, at that point, one would probably be better off just buying the original off eBay.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
One of the things to come out of this is that now that the Optimus barrier has been broken, everyone under the sun is speculating for what Optimus or Megatron they can do next and I really hope this is a one off; if Haslab just becomes a place to get fancy versions of big name characters, especially various flavors of Optimus Prime, it's going to become really unappealing to me.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
One of the things to come out of this is that now that the Optimus barrier has been broken, everyone under the sun is speculating for what Optimus or Megatron they can do next and I really hope this is a one off; if Haslab just becomes a place to get fancy versions of big name characters, especially various flavors of Optimus Prime, it's going to become really unappealing to me.

I doult they'll keep doing Optimus & Megatron, over and over in Haslab as they are two of the four primary TF characters these days along side BB & SS

Shadewing

Citizen
The only other Optimus I could see them doing is Powermaster Optimus/Super Ginrai; and that's mostly becuase I don't think they could sell a Apex/God Bomber seperately. Takara did, sure; but that's a different audience. He's just not that interesting solo, he transforms into a box on wheels. So a Haslab of Them together feels like a possibility. But I'd hate that as I really don't feel like either should be Haslabs. PM Prime isn't any more complext then Armada Prime, and Apex Bomber is just his personal armorizer.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I hate to imagine them locking Powermaster Prime behind HasLab, but it's disturbingly believable. Someone at Hasbro clearly has no faith in that design as a retail toy.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I mean, it's not like they have never given us a modern, updated take on Powermaster Optimus Prime in previous years.

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
Legends Ginrai was a clusterhug of questionable design. A new one could do much better, even if the only change was a regular solo robot mode

Top Bottom