Hasbr-uh-oh

The Phazer

Citizen
We got a movie line this year as well, with a greater Q4 focus at that. That's on top of Hasbro's 40th initiatives that'll probably goose sales a bit. We'll probably not see a significant softening of Transformers brand revenues until the end of 2025.

That might be true but it's unlikely that an animated feature will be predicted to have nearly the box office and therefore merch shifts that a live action one will by retailers.

Again, we'll see, but I think people in this thread people are papering over the cracks a little bit because of one data point.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
there hasn't been a star wars movie in five years, nobody really gives a shit about the MCU anymore, and kids haven't given a shit about cape comics in decades. Makes sense to me.
I get what you’re saying, but I think the nature of streaming has…lessoned…those issues. Especially when you consider the biggest “thing“ to happen to Star Wars since Force Awakens was a streaming TV series. The luster of MCU has certainly faded, but those films remain in hefty rotation on basic cable and consumers with D+ have access to nearly 50 years of animation content.

I think a better question is: What happened to the kids toys? Hasbro has become so focused on milking us old farts, it feels like stuff FOR KIDS is barely a secondary concern, and that’s reflecting in, broadly, lackluster showings across the board. Going back to my local Ollie’s, aside from the Mission Fleet dump, it wasn’t kids product overflowing across multiple end caps and in the toy section…it was MULTIPLE assortments of Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black.
Compared to what Mattel makes for Jurassic or especially Spin Master’s DC output, Hasbro’s stuff is frustratingly conservative. Doubly so for Star Wars, which brought back a 4“ line...only to NOT offer the same degree of articulation seen in the Marvel segment. Guardians of the Galaxy‘s kids line omitted 3 of the film’s CENTRAL characters (Nebula, Warlock, High Evolutionary) for no discernible reason (aside from keeping the assortments to as few items as possible).

So the issue I have to ask is…Is this a Disney issue or Hasbro issue? Or a little both? Because it sure feels like Hasbro’s sacrificing future generations of fans/collectors for the sake of milking what they can from the existing pool of them.
That might be true but it's unlikely that an animated feature will be predicted to have nearly the box office and therefore merch shifts that a live action one will by retailers.

Again, we'll see, but I think people in this thread people are papering over the cracks a little bit because of one data point.
I think Transformers One is in a better position compared to this time last year due to the strike. Due to the strike, Transformers is well positioned as family friendly counter programming for the fall (akin to how TMNT Mutant Mayhem ended up last year). Inside Out 2 and Despicable Me 4 will be out in June-July, and Disney won’t have anything of significance until the end of November, at minimum.
On the merch angle, TF One should be benefitting from rolling out with the fall product resets (generally mid-late August) and be more “on point” with the film’s release, plus being a “fresher” film by the time holiday sales roll around. And that doesn’t even address that Earthspark should be getting new episodes and whatever Hasbro’s 40th initiatives might bring by that point.

If they keep the budget under $100 million (TMNT:MM was $70 million, Into the Spiderverse was $90 million), they won’t NEED to do especially large business, and I think Transformers will have bigger international returns compared to Ninja Turtles.

If anything is going to hurt Hasbro’s numbers this year, it’s going to be a lack of major initiatives from Star Wars, despite a pair of streaming series, and only two meaningful Marvel films for merch purposes (Madame Webb is getting squat, neither will Kraven. Venom will get some support and Deadpool 3 is the ONLY MCU film this year, period).

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
so chris cox said this shit recently
1710432239501.jpeg

ourexpectations.jpg

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

tl;dw; Hasbro licensed Monopoly to another developer, who after 7 years of development put out Monopoly Go last April. It's since made 2 billion in the past 10 months, 1 billion of that in the last three. Basically 11 mil a day. While they aren't seeing ALL of that obviously, they're almost certainly getting a nice chunk from licensing which is bound to help going forward(and will likely encourage them to push for even more licensing out properties for mobile games than they already have since they can collect the money with little cost to them). Video is included mostly because it has footage of the actual game, if you wanted to see what it was like.

And to be clear, this is something that makes it more likely for Hasbro to keep on trucking, rather than yet another albatross around their neck, whatever we may think of this kind of game.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hasbro always turns it around somehow. They make a lot of crazy decisions, but sometimes crazy works.

UndeadScottsman

Citizen
I've heard that the first signs of the investor class getting cold feet on AI is happening; apparently developers overhyped and under delivered on what it was capable of (shock) so we may see companies pull back from it in the next few years as it no longer holds the special buzzword appeal.

Probably a pipe dream, but one can hope.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I've heard that the first signs of the investor class getting cold feet on AI is happening; apparently developers overhyped and under delivered on what it was capable of (shock) so we may see companies pull back from it in the next few years as it no longer holds the special buzzword appeal.

Probably a pipe dream, but one can hope.
AI is the current "crypto" or "NFT" hype word for investors.

I think Chris Cox's comments above are just lip service for the sake of investors. Hasbro did a couple of NFT items...but NEVER seemed to go all in on that (and rightfully so).

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, I'd be more surprised if there weren't at least an attempt to pivot to leveraging that. The NFTs were also my first thought, followed by relief at how shallowly they'd dipped into that pool.

I wish there were better reasons for them to hold off (like the ethics and human impact and general clutter of it all) but I'm under no illusions that anything but the money motive is the deciding factor.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm going to say this much for it: at least the way he's talking, they'd be using it to scrape their own content (of which they have copious amounts) instead of trawling the internet for stuff.

I still don't like it, and to be honest, I don't even trust the statement as such, but if it's the case, at least there's some small moral "yay" there.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It sounds like they're talking videogames with a lot of procedurally generated content, but calling it AI because that's the new buzzword.

Videogames remain Hasbro's forever dream, and they're hoping they've found a shortcut.

Top Bottom