Studio Series discussion

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe they'll surprise us and pick an accurate shade of purple for once.

But I doubt it.

Steadfast

Freelancer
Citizen
I'm sure at least part of it will (need to) be unique, but I agree that it'd be neat for at least the limbs to connect to the unique torso setup via famiiar joints.

I don't mean to go on a rant, but...

[Narrator: lolololol]

I'm just frustrated that almost every time there's a new combiner, it's a new system. Just recently-ish we've had Combiner Wars, two different Devastators, Motormaster, and the 5mm system used by Volcanicus and the Fossilizers/Junkions/etc. (The latter system is great, but it doesn't scale up too well, and it's inconsistent on the limbs being pegs or ports.)

Now, if the combiners mixed things up more (side-by-side, robots forming entire upper bodies, or parts of limbs), fine, but they're all basically limb-robots and a torso.

(Or Menasor, which is a big robot with car-armor. I'm actually more forgiving of him because it's different.)

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why? Wouldn't it make sense to make him in-scale with the other combiners? Fictionally-speaking, he's not supposed to be bigger than his peers.

93bcz49.jpeg

Heck, even his original toy was the same height as the Scramble City-type combiners. It was only Predaking who towered over them all, and he wasn't dramatically bigger than the other combiners in the fiction either.
Yeah, that bugged me with the Titan sized combiners.

Especially when we got Volcanicus. Hey, the Dinobots can combine now, and take on Predaking on even footing! Just like in the cartoon based on the line, even!

*Titan class Predaking comes lumbering in, towering over Volcanicus*

...never mind.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
In terms of Leader Megatron, his prior Voyager offerings were pretty good. To the point that I’m suspecting we’ll see something like Coronation Starscream where the core figure will be a “plussed up” Voyager, and a bunch of accessories. Between blast effects and some of the myriad of weapons used in “the duel”, I think Hasbro can fill out a Leader price point.
Still holding my breath simply because of the inconsistency we’ve seen from Studio Series G1 characters. For every Ratchet or Jazz, you get a Perceptor or Brawn or Kup.

Coming to Galvatron…it wouldn’t surprise me if tooling from Legacy Galvatron was used (like Coronation Starscream). That said, even beyond the color issue, Kingdom Galvatron was VERY toy-centric in his design. His cartoon model deviated with a slimer build and a sleeker cannon mode.
He’s a curiosity because I can SEE where they could alter the design for animation accuracy with a new mold. But I can also see him being “close enough” for a retool of WfC/Legacy, too.

MrBlud

Citizen
Why? Wouldn't it make sense to make him in-scale with the other combiners? Fictionally-speaking, he's not supposed to be bigger than his peers.

93bcz49.jpeg

Heck, even his original toy was the same height as the Scramble City-type combiners. It was only Predaking who towered over them all, and he wasn't dramatically bigger than the other combiners in the fiction either.

Sure, I don’t disagree but Hasbro seems to like him standing out.

Plus he’s going to be made of six members instead of five.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I like Kingdom Galvatron well enough but there were a few things about it that I'd like to see executed better. To be honest, though, it's still an odd choice. Maybe they'll just redeco it in a bluer shade of violet, idk.
If they're doing Galvatron, then I'm looking forward to a better Springer too.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

I'm just frustrated that almost every time there's a new combiner, it's a new system. Just recently-ish we've had Combiner Wars, two different Devastators, Motormaster, and the 5mm system used by Volcanicus and the Fossilizers/Junkions/etc. (The latter system is great, but it doesn't scale up too well, and it's inconsistent on the limbs being pegs or ports.)

Now, if the combiners mixed things up more (side-by-side, robots forming entire upper bodies, or parts of limbs), fine, but they're all basically limb-robots and a torso.

(Or Menasor, which is a big robot with car-armor. I'm actually more forgiving of him because it's different.)
Hm. I don't really see the Weaponizers et al as combiners in the same way, although certainly they can and do combine. I guess they'd be the best bet at the "mixing things up".

I do sometimes wish they'd make more Combiner Wars/POTP style combiner limbs and torsos, if only for more molds to use as bases.

Steadfast

Freelancer
Citizen
Hm. I don't really see the Weaponizers et al as combiners in the same way, although certainly they can and do combine. I guess they'd be the best bet at the "mixing things up".
They're their own thing, yeah, but then the Core Dinobots came along. My point was mostly that the 5mm system-- which I love-- would be suboptimal for anything bigger.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
They're their own thing, yeah, but then the Core Dinobots came along. My point was mostly that the 5mm system-- which I love-- would be suboptimal for anything bigger.
Oh, well that's for sure. I don't really compare or even count Core class with the rest, except stuff like Rattrap and Tasmania Kid and the cassettes. Core Volcanicus was a perfect fit for the 5mm peg combination, and indeed if that were on anything bigger it'd have to be enough pegged connections to basically be Lego. Or Kre-O. But again, aside from having the 5mm mechanic in common, I can't put this combiner in the same category as Weaponizers And Friends either.

But back to the main thing, I'd be very open to revisiting the CW engineering, but this time with a new batch of molds. (And a damn G2 Defensor already. Talk about a perfect capper to the Toxitron series, even belated...)

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Great, now all I'm picturing is earthspark megatron DMing earthspark prime the word "torpedo".

The Phazer

Citizen
I suspect Glavy will just be more blue too, but I'd be in to that, he's not supposed to be as purple as the Kingdom release.

In an ideal world he'd be a bit more slim and have longer legs, but I doubt we are getting a new mould.

Dake

Citizen

I'm inclined to be a bit more generous in light of what their current goals seem to be. I loved the Combiner Wars combiners and their system, but there were some necessary compromises made in order for limb interchangeability, and those compromises directly affected the aesthetics.

If the current goal is "animation accuracy" (within reason), then each combiner will have to be individually engineered. The mechanics may be similar, but likely different between each one.

Steadfast

Freelancer
Citizen
I'm inclined to be a bit more generous in light of what their current goals seem to be. I loved the Combiner Wars combiners and their system, but there were some necessary compromises made in order for limb interchangeability, and those compromises directly affected the aesthetics.

If the current goal is "animation accuracy" (within reason), then each combiner will have to be individually engineered. The mechanics may be similar, but likely different between each one.

Oh, absolutely. Devastator isn't known for mixing and matching like the Scramble City guys. I just think it's fun, and like I said, it'd be nice if the arms were compatible with an older torso.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
I am in the minority of folks that think Galvatron could do with a second pass. I get that for most, the recent Kingdom/Legacy releases are fine - and they are. But I feel like his proportions in robot mode need to be tweaked a bit (chest, legs), and he could do with a different better head sculpt. I'm not sure what this SS86 release will do, but I'm definitely interested.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
I am in the minority of folks that think Galvatron could do with a second pass. I get that for most, the recent Kingdom/Legacy releases are fine - and they are. But I feel like his proportions in robot mode need to be tweaked a bit (chest, legs), and he could do with a different better head sculpt. I'm not sure what this SS86 release will do, but I'm definitely interested.
The only Galvatrons I got were the Tron version and the toy colors.
I'd be game for a new iteration closer to the animation model with appropriate colors.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I remember from the confusing batches of early/leaked pictures that I really wasn't fond of the torso shape, in particular the flanks that the arms are attached to. It's a minor thing, but while it's clever how the cannon mode back strut folds out of the legs, I'm not wild about how chunky it is and how it ends in robot feet.

There's also the headsculpt, which is good but well low on the list of what I'd prefer. I've long considered onenof the cartoon or comic based 3D printed heads by TheMadness on TFW, but no access to a 3D printer. I did get the Dark-Ism Galvatron II head, and that looks solid.

Ultimately minor tweaks, as the engineering and such are fine. I like the central drum storing the head and forming the torso. But if they want to make improvements there I'd be open to seeing those.

But maybe this will just end up being a reuse of the mold in a darker blue purple with a new head? I wouldn't mind if they dropped the Revenge guns and put in different accessories as well.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd still hope for a new headsculpt, but those colors would definitely get me to buy the damn thing again.

Top Bottom