Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So Q could still be alive, or the Continuum could bring him back.
If I recall correctly, it really wasn't explained how or why Q was dying in Star Trek: Picard. All that was said about it was that he had believed his species was immortal, and that his deterioration was something he had previously thought was impossible.

Season 3 Picard spoilers
But after the point where he apparently went away to let his death come and go, he showed up again at the end of the following season somehow alive and well with no solid explanation. When questioned about how he wasn't dead at a point when he was supposed to be, he merely answered, "Oh, and here I was hoping the next generation wouldn't think so linearly." So this later appearance from Q was either a version of him from an earlier point in time before he died, or his death doesn't work in the same linear and finite fashion that ordinary mortal deaths do. The writers intentionally left the true nature of how death works for him and his species completely vague and mysterious.

As for the other Q from the Voyager episode who wanted to die (and renamed himself "Quinn"), he was permitted to be separated from the Continuum and made into a mortal humanoid being before he died, so his death was just an ordinary one with nothing vague or mysterious about it (as he was no longer a Q when it happened).

Last edited by a moderator:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Q has the power of life and death. He can inhabit and live in the afterlife:

Death means nothing to him.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why would they set a synthetic body to degrade?

Why not just make it last forever?
Well, they could have, but they didn't. Picard himself said that he didn't want to be an immortal, but wouldn't mind a few extra years. I imagine that they put that line in the end of season 1 to explain how Picard continues to age over the next few seasons.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Why is Q losing his powers when they were given to him by the infinite Q continuum?

Why would Q be dead after using the last of his powers to snap Picard and his crew to where they wanted to go?

It was established in the Next Generation that Q is immortal and omnipotent. His powers are all or nothing; the Q continuum gives them to him in full or can take them all away. So how can they fade unless the Q continuum takes them away?

The Q are the gods of the Star Trek Universe, the top of the hierarchy of beings.
1. Q was experiencing something that was new to not just himself, but the rest of the Q.

2. Q specifically said that he had just enough energy to send them home, and that doing so would kill him, which is why Picard embraced him.

3. It was also said in TNG and Voyager that the Q aren't as all powerful and all knowing as they claim to be. There clearly are limits, and the continuum can remove abilities, but it is possible that all that Q has been through, that he just simply was dying. Remember that he was gravely injured in the Q civil war, and it could just be that over time he started to die. This is Q at the end of his life though, so how many trillions of years he has lived since the Q Civil War is unknown. It could be possible that at this point in the story, he was the last Q.

4. There are a lot of godlike beings in Star Trek, some even more powerful that the Q.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Remember that he was gravely injured in the Q civil war, and it could just be that over time he started to die. This is Q at the end of his life though, so how many trillions of years he has lived since the Q Civil War is unknown. It could be possible that at this point in the story, he was the last Q.
He hasn't seen Voyager. He's only watched episodes of TOS and TNG.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Let's not forget that there was an episode of Voyager where the entire premise of it was that one of the Q (not played by John De Lancie) wanted to die, and our familiar Q (the John De Lancie one) refused to let him kill himself because the Continuum wouldn't allow it.
Believe me, I haven't. It was part of why the war I referenced started.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Barclay was one of the best guest stars on Next Gen:

I don’t know whether it was because he was Murdock on the A-team that made him so compelling, or because he was so known for being Murdoch on A-team it typecasted him to the point where he couldn’t gain traction to become a more permanent member of the crew.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
And he had cameo in First Contact, which was apparently a pretty last minute thing he agreed to come out and do during the shoot.

Personally, I had no clue about his role on A-Team. I hadn't even heard of the show back then. I think Barclay's main appeal is that his character spoke to many in the audience... particularly Star Trek's audience.... who were socially awkward themselves. We were able to watch his character grow... not in huge leaps and bounds, but modestly over time and gain more confidence, make friends with his crewmates and be accepted. Picard and Guinan deserve a lot of credit for that... without their pushes in "Hollow Pursuits", I don't think Geordi would've given Reg the chances he did.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
How did they bring Data back to life when Picard shut down the machine that had his ghost?

If Q was able to show up at the end and interact with Picard, is he really dead? I’m guessing he was conversing in a contemporary fashion responding to the present and commenting on the new events. It wasn’t just a message or recording, or an echo.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
And he had cameo in First Contact, which was apparently a pretty last minute thing he agreed to come out and do during the shoot.

Personally, I had no clue about his role on A-Team. I hadn't even heard of the show back then. I think Barclay's main appeal is that his character spoke to many in the audience... particularly Star Trek's audience.... who were socially awkward themselves. We were able to watch his character grow... not in huge leaps and bounds, but modestly over time and gain more confidence, make friends with his crewmates and be accepted. Picard and Guinan deserve a lot of credit for that... without their pushes in "Hollow Pursuits", I don't think Geordi would've given Reg the chances he did.

Barclay was the opposite of “Howling Mad” Murdock on the A-team:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Yes, the Next Generation used the words immortal and omnipotent to characterize Q:

over and over again. That’s canon.

Star Trek: Picard is an alternate universe, elsewords, what-if series.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
How did they bring Data back to life when Picard shut down the machine that had his ghost?

If Q was able to show up at the end and interact with Picard, is he really dead? I’m guessing he was conversing in a contemporary fashion responding to the present and commenting on the new events. It wasn’t just a message or recording, or an echo.

In Season 1 of Picard, they had data's memories running in a computer to sort of simulate data. Picard's mind was loaded into the computer as well when he died, giving the two a chance to talk again. Data asked Picard to shut him down, which he did after they put Picard into his new positronic body.

Q died in season 2 of Picard. The whole point of the second season was for Q to get Picard to forgive himself for the death of Picard's mother. As that death is what sent Picard running into the stars and never letting anyone ever truly get close to him. Q didn't want Picard to be alone like Q was at his end.

When Q shows up at the end of season 3, it's clear that Q, hasn't reached that point(Season 2 of Picard) in his timeline yet. Q chastises Jack for "being so linear". What is important here is, the one thing that you should always remember is, the Trial Never Ends!

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
So Q was the last survivor of the Continuum?

They are gods. Time and space mean nohing to them.

It would make more sense that Q changed his appearance to look older in order to increase his credibility to Picard.

The Positronic body makes everyone potentially immortal. You don’t think the Q’s have technology way beyond this?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So Q was the last survivor of the Continuum?

They are gods. Time and space mean nohing to them.

It would make more sense that Q changed his appearance to look older in order to increase his credibility to Picard.

The Positronic body makes everyone potentially immortal. You don’t think the Q’s have technology way beyond this?

He said that he was dying alone. Whether that meant that his partner nor his son where with him, or that meant that all the other Q were dead is up to interpretation.

All the Q still live on a linear progression. While they can go from any point in space and time to any other, they still experience it in a linear progression like you and me. The Q in season 2 was just at the end of his progression even though it happened earlier in our time line.

Q just wanted to catch up with Picard in season 2, but it gave a good reason not to have to de-age or recast John De Lancie.

I am sure that they do have some amazing technology, but eventually, over trillions of years, everything breaks.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star Trek 4 is approved and moving forward. I like the Original crew characters. They seem more iconic.

The atmosphere of Captain Kirk’s ship seems more relaxed and casual, rules can be broken.

For the longest time in 80’s sitcoms and tv shows referenced the line, “Beam me up Scottie. “ It was used all of the time in pop culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom