Florida, Florida, Florida

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Bigot being bigoted, what a shocker.

Isn't amazing how democrats are literally just trying to help everyone actually live, and the republicans want to kill just ******* everything. Trans people, gay people, black people, the environment, the economy, hope...

Wheelimus

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The only reason to not literally Bugs Bunny Florida is Coffeehorse and his peacocks, and any other Allsparkers we've got there.

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
Just had to, again:
florida-bugs-bunny.gif

Xaaron

Citizen
So what happens when a grade school child becomes insubordinate in the face of authority?

Name your worst case scenario and how long before it inevitably happens. Let's make a dead pool...

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Will membership in our new State Guard count once people have actually served in it? if so, I could see this idea expanded and used as a conveyor belt to get DeSantis' allies into certain jobs.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Exactly. DeSantis has the legislature in Florida right where he wants them. Heck, they let HIM draw up the congressional maps despite the fact that, legally, he DOESN'T HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO. Frankly the amount of power he has centralized in Florida is astounding and scary, especially if it translates to the national stage.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

There's no way this gets used for anything other than indoctrination.
I'm not so sure. In Japan, although I've got a university degree, over 20 years teaching experience and a diploma to teach EFL, I'm not a certified Kindergarten or Primary school teacher. I do, however, teach such children at an international school.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Exactly. DeSantis has the legislature in Florida right where he wants them. Heck, they let HIM draw up the congressional maps despite the fact that, legally, he DOESN'T HAVE THE POWER TO DO SO. Frankly the amount of power he has centralized in Florida is astounding and scary, especially if it translates to the national stage.
A lot of that is that there are no real supervision, or consequence involving overstepping the bounds because "the bounds" are poorly defined and maintained by an honour system which is so long dead that looting the grave would be called archeology.

As a culture, we're starting to see just how fly by night government actually is: and if we want to make any kind of progress, there's going to need to be a LOT of shit written down, and powerful punishments placed to prevent abuse. And frankly: politicians cannot have a hand in writing that code. Contemporary politicians cannot be trusted with that kind of responsibility to draw up their own boundaries and oversight. I don't think anyone actually is.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
No one can be trusted. With anything. Not with power, and not with freedom. It is the great paradox of humanity.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
No one can be trusted. With anything. Not with power, and not with freedom. It is the great paradox of humanity.
See, thats not right either. There's plenty of folks out there whom will not abuse power, abuse their freedoms. We don't see it because of two things: 1.) good news doesn't make the news broadcasts, and 2.) the people of the mindset to NOT abuse power or people aren't inclined to seek out positions of power. It's why there's a disproportionate level of representation for psychopaths in the highest echelons of politics and business.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series put forth the idea that those who seek power over others shouldn't be allowed to actually have it. Thus, the role of Galactic President was to be a distraction from the real leader, a random hermit living on a planetoid somewhere.

Top Bottom