X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Autobubbs

Citizen
Perhaps in three seasons? But they'd need to introduce Elixir and Wither first. Shame that Pixie became the breakout star from Academy X and she wasn't even from the original line up.

Was thinking more of a similar concept with different means. Mutant corpses re-animated by Sinister (like Morph was), or 'lost' survivors put under cybernetic mind control. An army of unwitting pawns to really sell the mutant threat to the world.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Okay, I'm gonna step back from my debate here. Instead, I'm gonna speculate. Now, don't expect me to do anything really deep, as these are probably very obvious bits of speculation, but I'm gonna put them out anyway.

First, Storm's gonna rejoin the team. This is obvious, this is a given, and they're gonna need her. I wouldn't be surprised if Forge came along to provide help too, but Storm's coming with or without him.

Second, Cyclops is going to try to bond with Cable, but Cable's not gonna have any of it...at least, not at first. They might come to an understanding, but Cable's gonna hold onto some resentment...and from his perspective, I don't blame him.

Third, Xavier's return is going to come at the absolute worst time. Regardless of what happens, Bastion's going to reveal that the X-Men have been lying about Xavier's death, and that's gonna be bad for their PR.

Dvandom

Citizen
I mean, no other episode has made it quite so clear that this series is written for, first and foremost, avid readers of X-books in the 90s and 00s. They did the Big Reveal of the BBEG and...I had no idea who it was. I think I did read some of the comics he was in, at least early appearances, but the pacing and "being clever with shadows" just screamed that the viewer was supposed to recognize him as soon as we saw enough of his appearance. There's still reveals to make in the cartoon continuity (since his origin is unlikely to be EXACTLY what it was in the comics, due to the need to simplify things a bit), but I basically had to pause the credits and look through the character credits to find out who that was. (And if I knew his comics origin before reading spoilered bits in this thread, it would have been from reading an OHOTMU issue.)

Lifedeath I and II also relied heavily on viewer memories of the original stories to flesh things out, but the big reveal this week 100% depends on memories of the original comics to have any impact at all.

---Dave

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
to be fair, that's not a bad thing... that's what the original show did... and it must have work because we're here right now talking about it.

in fact I would say more so at the time, it was the current comics that i was reading while the show was airing that back filled my brain on past events from the comics that might be showing up in story lines of the show later on. I didn't sit down to read the original Dofp or Phoenix arcs until long after the show was off air.

the way I look at it is the show is going to adapt a thing that happened in the comic, and to have a deeper understanding of it - instead of being required to know things going in to get the impact... I see it as more that I GET TO go look back at that stuff if I want to.

I don't need lore spoon-fed to me, this show is more than capable of letting me know what's going on, when it wants to and if it wants to, however it wants to.

for example there are likely people watching this series who had no idea Cable was/is Nathan. So we could be seeing that explained to us in the show at some point...

But I think a lot of the viewers are smart people, I mean the amount of people I saw online who (without prior knowledge) connected the dots that Sinister is a twisted prick based entirely on the realization of why Cable's named Nathan.

- sorry rambled a little. anywho next ep might be a banger -here's hope'n

Shadewing

Citizen
Tolerance is Extinction pt1:

So Bastion's origins keep the idea but change the details; probably for the best to simplify things. Not something I mind, just something I find interesting that they basically made Bastion a mutant himself; rather then Mastermold being turned human.

My biggest shock is that Trish was one the prime Sentinels. They made it out as only bigots were being turned, but Trish was always more of a supporter then not.

Not a whole lot to say about this episode, which isn't a bad thing. This was largely just a bunch of actions and Bastion's Origins. Though I love that we finally get to see Nightcrawler fight and it is glorious.

I suppose things will be returning to the Status Quo with Magneto and Xavier by the end of this; as yeah between Kaijumold and Sentinel Zombie, there's a pretty good triggers for Magneto going back to his old ways.

...also now I want them to do a remold of Jazz to go with X-Spanse...

Echowarrior

Citizen
I can't say that I'd blame Magneto. He's seen the worst of humanity again and again, and humanity just keeps on proving itself to be so much less than it can be. Case in point, Roberto's mother.

Also, can I take a second to praise Ross Marquand for his vocal versatility? That man has range!

Loved the cameos here. Didn't expect to see Doctor Doom, but delighted to see Spider-Man. He looks dead-on to his design from his own animated series, too. Granted, that design was pretty accurate to the comics and his show and the original series at least theoretically share a universe, but still.

Finally, I'd be a little disappointed if the Avengers didn't show up to lend a hand. Then again, this show isn't about them.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Got damn

This show is amazing, and just continues to ramp up.

Loved the "X" pun in the newscast.

Nightcrawlers scene with Jean about memories was great. The writing in general has just been phenomenal. Its all quick and condensed to fit into a 30 min cartoon, but is still so full of heart and wit.

The conversation with Cable about what appears to be a "cannon" event is pretty cool, and seems to indicate that Gambit will not be saved by time travel shenanigans.

The council of villains was cool and unexpected, not sure who the woman towards the end of it was though.

They have a done a good job of elevating Bastion beyond a mustache twirler or bigot, in such a short amount of time.

All of the action and powers scenes are great here and I hope whomever is working on them gets involved in the live action stuff, and creative use, combos, and synergy is a big part of what makes good comic action really sizzle.

When the Blackbird was flying through the storm I though for sure it Storm.

I love that Wolverine oddly enough is getting to be the comic relief of the show.

I was not surprised by him not landing any blows with his claws with as "human" as these foes are. I was expecting him to get one eventually with a "Logan what have you done?" kind of response from the team. Then he started stabbing Trish, then he slashed another, then he started swiping them in half and severing limbs THEN Nightcrawler gets in on it triple wielding swords. I know they make sure to show scenes of them "reassembling" themselves, even from decapitation, but was still surprised to see them let loose on cyborg foes like this.

Seeing the teleport from Wolverines POV was a wonderful shot with great effects and animation.

I think the Porsche is based off of a car Scott had in the OG series isn't it? Also loved his "my kid is surprised by my cool car" smirk.

They seem to be wanting to keep Sinister as a top tier threat and not truly relegated to lackey.

I really hope this is a jumping off point for an animated MCU. MAU? At least do a Spiderman sequel series in this style.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Feels like we are getting ready to merge more storylines together by the end of the season. However as Unlimited it feels they were given to do things in '97, there were a few things that felt a bit Beyond Marvel in inspiration.

Ultra Magnus13

Citizen
Tolerance is Extinction pt1:

So Bastion's origins keep the idea but change the details; probably for the best to simplify things. Not something I mind, just something I find interesting that they basically made Bastion a mutant himself; rather then Mastermold being turned human.

My biggest shock is that Trish was one the prime Sentinels. They made it out as only bigots were being turned, but Trish was always more of a supporter then not.

Not a whole lot to say about this episode, which isn't a bad thing. This was largely just a bunch of actions and Bastion's Origins. Though I love that we finally get to see Nightcrawler fight and it is glorious.

I suppose things will be returning to the Status Quo with Magneto and Xavier by the end of this; as yeah between Kaijumold and Sentinel Zombie, there's a pretty good triggers for Magneto going back to his old ways.

...also now I want them to do a remold of Jazz to go with X-Spanse...
I think the bulk of them are "volunteers" but I would wager there are specific figures that have been stealthily converted. Key people in positions of power, people with access to the Xmen/xmansion etc.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Yeah, who was that woman?

And which X pun?

I'm a bit confused but is the arc over already?
Didn't expect 'Cannonball'. I don't like that change.

Oh, cool thing but that throwaway mutant with the metal arms? He was in the original series in the Days of Future Past or whatever episode. He stuck out to me because I'm pretty sure he was never a comic character (like, why bother making a mutant with ONLY metal arms when you have Colossus). So him being shown there was the writer really paying attention, aaaw.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Yeah, who was that woman?

I'm a bit confused but is the arc over already?
The woman was likely some variation on Madame Hydra

I think they're (like the original series) "mixing and mashing" story arcs. My belief is:
OZT is going to transition right into Fatal Attractions, possibly with a build to Onslaught for season 2. They've already been dropping wider Marvel cameos and hints, and something like Onslaught might be a solid X-Men counterpart to the Secret Wars arc Spider-Man got.

Also, cameos by William Striker (from the original graphic novel that inspired X2) and Rachel Summers. Nightcrawler's fight is scored and structured VERY similarly to the character's introduction in X2.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
ScreenCrush has been doing some solid "Easter Egg" Videos on an episode by episode basis (including the Bastion cameos!), I'd recommend people catch them if they can.

Echowarrior

Citizen
Personally, I can't decide if it's funnier that Cable's reacting to Cyclops having a Porshe...or that Cable actually knows what a Porshe is.

And given some of the less pleasant parts of that company's history, one has to wonder what Magneto's reaction to it was.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Question about Cable's "future"
If I understood this correctly, Cable described the future as a mutant utopia and that Bastion, a cyborg mutant, directly led to this. Yes its foundation seems to be on bloodshed of thousands of current day mutants, but the line fron point A to point B is kinda muddied in my head.

Granted I was watching this late last night with the volume turned low ans trying to read subtitles while focusing on the animation, so I may have misread something

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Question about Cable's "future"
If I understood this correctly, Cable described the future as a mutant utopia and that Bastion, a cyborg mutant, directly led to this. Yes its foundation seems to be on bloodshed of thousands of current day mutants, but the line fron point A to point B is kinda muddied in my head.

Granted I was watching this late last night with the volume turned low ans trying to read subtitles while focusing on the animation, so I may have misread something

It's a utopia built on the backs of Mutant slavery. Mutants haven't been exterminated but they are under the thumb of the Prime Sentinel ruling class. It's not the worst possible future but it's still pretty grim.

Top Bottom