X-Men '97 - continuation of 1992 Animated Series

Dvandom

Citizen
Well, we got a Magical Girl Transformation in X-Men.

The unifying theme of the episode was "colonizers are evil."

And as for spoilery speculation, if Magneto had actually died, Charles would've seen him in the psychic vision, not Gambit.

---Dave

AgentOrange

Citizen
Well, we got a Magical Girl Transformation in X-Men.

The unifying theme of the episode was "colonizers are evil."

And as for spoilery speculation, if Magneto had actually died, Charles would've seen him in the psychic vision, not Gambit.

---Dave
Except that psychic vision was very much Gambit is Death not Gambit is dead. But yes, Magneto's definitely still going to be around

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Magneto's being killed wasn't shown in the recap. He's not dead.

Great episode. Loved the space stuff and how terrible the Shi'ar actually are. Storm going to one of her most stereotypical feminine looks should shut up all the losers that said they were making her too masculine (even though that assertion in and of itself is completely ridiculous).

Shadewing

Citizen
Magneto's being killed wasn't shown in the recap. He's not dead.

But tbf like Gambit he's also not in the opening Credits.

Bright Eyes:

And now we get to the actual Aftermath of "Remember it" a Funeral for Gambit, and we've learn its been a week since the attack. And everyone is hurting. Rogue is living up to her name by going rogue and smashing her way cross country to get answers; and we get our first glimpses at the greater Marvel Universe with General Ross, mentions of The Hulk, and Captain America. Meanwhile the X-Men deal with the frustation of Polictics and their anger at what happened and try to help find more survivors in Genosa. We finally get Roberto dealing with his Mother and its both better and maybe worse then expected as she's fully accepting of who he is; but like what is a constant theme in this episode there is a balancing act when it comes to humans. Some of this is, imo, understandable. Not right, but understandable. Sometimes you have to work within the system to achieve goals, even if the process sucks. I kinda feel like President Kelly and Cap are in this position, and this is clearly Cap before he becomes completely disillusioned by the process. The X-Men are totally right to be upset with how things are going; but I don't fully thing Scott is right about "If it we're humans, you'd not be worried about polls." or maybe I'm jaded but even in our real world we see people not caring about what's not happening in their backyards. Again, I don't think this is right; but I feel its accurately messy on both sides with no clean answer; as right or wrong things will get messy before they get better.

After a touching scene between Siblings, we get the reveal everyone's been expecting; and I've wanted: Bastion, which was coming when Rogue found stuff for 'OZT' Operation: Zero Tolerance. But I am curious how this ties to Sinister. Even with Trask's comments it feels strange that Bastion and OZT would work with him. And then Rogue continues her slide down the dark side, and is a big mistake since his death leads to being reborn as a Prime Sentinel. After a Fight and reunion, we get a scene with Bastion and Sinister, before we learn they know Xavier is alive; and twist ending that most of us suspected; Magneto is too. Bastion has him and is likely going to use him as a weapon. The combo of these are probably what will lead to the "roll out" as Sinister calls it as we head into the 3 part end game: Tolerance is Extinction.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Guess we know why the credits started to drop the Nimrod retrospectives...
Bastion can also be seen in Forge's lab in an obscured photo. I wonder if the cartoon will have Bastion be the "descendant" of the remnants of Nimrod left behind from "One Man's Worth"?

Shadewing

Citizen
Guess we know why the credits started to drop the Nimrod retrospectives...
Bastion can also be seen in Forge's lab in an obscured photo. I wonder if the cartoon will have Bastion be the "descendant" of the remnants of Nimrod left behind from "One Man's Worth"?

Well Bastion has always been the result of Mastermind and Nimrod doing the fusion dance. He specifically comments about how he's evolved. So clearly some aspect of him being one or both is being kept.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Well Bastion has always been the result of Mastermind and Nimrod doing the fusion dance. He specifically comments about how he's evolved. So clearly some aspect of him being one or both is being kept.
He was a combination?! I didn't know that! How did he get involved?

I know of the operation but never read the issues or know how it's resolved (who wrote it btw? Lobdell?). I guess this isn't a Morrison run adaptation.

Rogue is so mean, hahaha

I also love it when we get a surprise guest star because I almost always forget that it isn't real, haha

Shadewing

Citizen
He was a combination?! I didn't know that! How did he get involved?

I know of the operation but never read the issues or know how it's resolved (who wrote it btw? Lobdell?). I guess this isn't a Morrison run adaptation.

Rogue is so mean, hahaha

I also love it when we get a surprise guest star because I almost always forget that it isn't real, haha

Here's two, fairly short videos by a YT I like that has been talking about this for the past month that explains who Bastion is and what might be his origins in this show:

Bastion Origins:

Theory on Bastion's past in 97:

Echowarrior

Citizen
Okay, gonna say this right now.

I am not shocked that Magneto survived. I'm not shocked that Emma Frost survived. I am annoyed that a number of other characters didn't survive, however.

Yes, I know that death is senseless and doesn't play favorites, and that's likely the point behind why certain characters died and certain other characters didn't. I just dislike the idea of killing off a character when there's still some storytelling potential attached to them.

Shadewing

Citizen
Okay, gonna say this right now.

I am not shocked that Magneto survived. I'm not shocked that Emma Frost survived. I am annoyed that a number of other characters didn't survive, however.

Yes, I know that death is senseless and doesn't play favorites, and that's likely the point behind why certain characters died and certain other characters didn't. I just dislike the idea of killing off a character when there's still some storytelling potential attached to them.

And who would you have die? Just random no names we've never seen before? Just have all names characters just miraclously survive an entire city getting devastated?

Echowarrior

Citizen
And who would you have die? Just random no names we've never seen before? Just have all names characters just miraclously survive an entire city getting devastated?

That's the thing. For people who read the comics, the deaths had an impact. For people just jumping in, all the characters who died essentially are random no-names. Gambit's death hurts and has meaning mostly because we got to know him and like him, regardless of whether or not we read the comics or saw the original series or just this one. For others, we can only mourn what could have been.

Shadewing

Citizen
That's the thing. For people who read the comics, the deaths had an impact. For people just jumping in, all the characters who died essentially are random no-names. Gambit's death hurts and has meaning mostly because we got to know him and like him, regardless of whether or not we read the comics or saw the original series or just this one. For others, we can only mourn what could have been.

So no deaths ever, is what I am hear then. Everyone just lives because the sentinels attacked the empty warehouse district. Or they were lucky it was sunday and no one was at work.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Perhaps in three seasons? But they'd need to introduce Elixir and Wither first. Shame that Pixie became the breakout star from Academy X and she wasn't even from the original line up.

Echowarrior

Citizen
So no deaths ever, is what I am hear then. Everyone just lives because the sentinels attacked the empty warehouse district. Or they were lucky it was sunday and no one was at work.

My objection is not to characters dying. Gambit got one hell of a good, worthy, heroic death - he went out saving lives and preventing further casualties. Banshee was at least trying to get people to safety when he got (apparently) got vaporized. My objection is to named characters whom the audience recognizes from the comics, characters who show up in minor cameos, just barely showing up to provide a little bit of fanservice before getting wiped away.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a storyteller. This series has given us some damn good writing, and while what we've gotten is good, I feel like there's some stuff that could have been shown but wasn't because the writers didn't want to do it. If "Remember It" had been the season finale, if we'd gotten some stories in between that had featured more of the various characters seen who were apparently killed off, then I wouldn't be raising these points. I'd have liked some stories focusing on the population of Genosha, how Madelyne handled dealing with Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost given the last time she remembered dealing with them, maybe even some interaction with Dazzler. We caught a glimpse of how the Morlocks were adjusting to life in Genosha, and I would have loved to see the politics involved in Callisto finding herself in Genosha's government and how she interacted with the members of the Hellfire Club. Now, all of that potentially interesting stuff can't happen. Makes me glad that Emma Frost is among the survivors, because that means the writers can still do stuff with her.

Again, my issue isn't with characters dying. My issue is with how they die, how that death is presented, and how the character is treated before they die.

Shadewing

Citizen
My objection is not to characters dying. Gambit got one hell of a good, worthy, heroic death - he went out saving lives and preventing further casualties. Banshee was at least trying to get people to safety when he got (apparently) got vaporized. My objection is to named characters whom the audience recognizes from the comics, characters who show up in minor cameos, just barely showing up to provide a little bit of fanservice before getting wiped away.

I'm looking at this from the perspective of a storyteller. This series has given us some damn good writing, and while what we've gotten is good, I feel like there's some stuff that could have been shown but wasn't because the writers didn't want to do it. If "Remember It" had been the season finale, if we'd gotten some stories in between that had featured more of the various characters seen who were apparently killed off, then I wouldn't be raising these points. I'd have liked some stories focusing on the population of Genosha, how Madelyne handled dealing with Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost given the last time she remembered dealing with them, maybe even some interaction with Dazzler. We caught a glimpse of how the Morlocks were adjusting to life in Genosha, and I would have loved to see the politics involved in Callisto finding herself in Genosha's government and how she interacted with the members of the Hellfire Club. Now, all of that potentially interesting stuff can't happen. Makes me glad that Emma Frost is among the survivors, because that means the writers can still do stuff with her.

Again, my issue isn't with characters dying. My issue is with how they die, how that death is presented, and how the character is treated before they die.

To says that death always need to mean something, is doing death a diservice. Death doesn't care about what if your story has unfinished business, untold tells. Death is messy, death is sudden. To say everyone need to have their story told before they die, removes much of the teeth from death. You care becuase there stories won't be complete, they won't continue; but they can always be expanded on. Flashbacks exist for reasons. I am a story teller as well, and believe death works best when its real. Killing faceless nameless people gets no reaction, even in the real world people aren't always going to care if random people die; but when names and faces are given to them; that promotes more empathy. Look at the after math of tragidies, you have people speaking out about who died, to tell people who they were. That is how it's handled here, people we know have their lived ended suddenly, cruelly, and pointlessly we might never know all they did or what they would have done; and that is why people care.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
yeah, The argument that death ruins potential future stories - is an interesting idea, theoretically and retrospectively... but to preemptively not-death a character who isn't a focal point of THIS story... because they could be one in a different Story -later...

doesn't really work in narrative, and for sure doesn't work in comicbooks.

"oh don't kill Uncle Ben, he might have things he could do next issue."
"Age of Apocalypse... nah we can't tell that story, it's better to keep Chuck alive in the past than to tell the story about how important one life can be to a world."

Episode 7 already un-deathed one of the characters we thought could have been dead ... two if you think I was talking about Emma ;)

LOL we've got like 3 or 4 potential time travelers in this story already, if my math is mathing and we haven't seen one of them yet so like, none of them could be actually dead dead at the end of the season.

we're mid stream in this one folks we can do the recriminations at the end

Top Bottom