Toy and Action Figure Thread

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Okay, kind of a weird request here:
So recently, Haywire3 has been watching Tetsujin 28 (aka Gigantor) and Shin Tetsujin 28 with me, and he is absolutely in love with the show. So now, he is asking for a Tetsujin 28 toy. The problems being, 1) He's 5-1/2, so it needs to be TOY and able to handle reasonably rough play, and 2) Everthing I can find currently available is a model kit and/or ungodly expensive.
I guess my question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a decently Toyetic Tetsujin 28 figure for a reasonable price for a child's plaything? Or, failing an official version, a knock-off of enough quality to not poison him with lead paint or break into dangerous pieces? My Google-fu is pretty weak, and I came up with nothing on Amazon or the Bay of e.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I do see a Good Smile Moderoid kit on HLJ for under $30 before shipping, but are those truly model kits? Or can they hold up to some play?

Last edited:

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
IMG_3070.jpeg

I found this at Target today. Of course Predator toys aren't exactly hard to find by any means. But I wanted one that was specifically designed after the original movie. So I was happy to find this

IMG_3071.jpeg

So I guess someone should tell Sub Zero that the Predator's been ripping people's spines out since before it was cool.

IMG_3072.jpeg

And it comes with an unmasked head as well as a mask he can hold.

IMG_3073.jpeg

And it came with a blaster effect.

IMG_3074.jpeg

And alongside an older Predator I had. The old toy's shoulder cannon broke off, so the new one dropped its own cannon to keep it sporting. Though he's not above using his nifty explosive thingy.

So, these are both NECA, but this new one has so many cool accessories and little details. It's really nice. Now all I have to do is not break the shoulder cannon.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, got a question:

My wife and I (though mostly her, admittedly) have been doing some cleaning up, reorganizing, and packing away of things lately, and something we've come across is yellowed blister card bubbles.

im not sure what is doing this, other than maybe plastic quality, as it seems to happen regardless of how they're kept. For example, in the case of some Mario figures, there were some together, and it was actually the ones behind the smaller ones in front that were yellowing, while the smaller ones were pristine.

But unless there's an answer or solution there, that's not what I'm here to ask about.

Rather, due to this conditioning, my wife thinks that whatever value the packaging adds has been effectively negated, but I'm not so sure.

Anyone know if this has made the packaging worthless, or is there still value in keeping it?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, there's ALWAYS value in the original packaging, even if it is yellowed. It's probably less valuable now that's yellowed, but it's not worthless. How much it decreases the value depends on what the toy is. And how bad the yellowing is. And if these are still mint in the box, otherwise. Or if these are just spare boxes you kept around.

But, yeah, with some of these plastics, yellowing is almost unavoidable. You can delay it, but most of these plastics weren't designed to last forever. This might be something that effects the entire line of these toys, which means future collectors just have to deal with the yellowing.

There may be some way to "clean" it, but even that may kind of a dicey proposition, if the chemicals are too harsh. I honestly don't know enough about it, to recommend anything either way.

But, I'd be willing to bet the packaging is still worth something, even yellowed. Less, perhaps, but not worthless.

Dake

Citizen
Are these all still figures sealed in package, just yellowed bubbles?

I'd say stuff sealed in package is still worth more than loose, but obviously damaged packaging (to include yellowing) is worth less than pristine. If it's just opened packaging that's been set aside, the value is even less still.

Ultimately, your market just shrinks because when it comes time to sell, you're now looking for a person that cares enough to want packaging, but not enough to care what shape it's in.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Personally, as a known toy-opener, I would pay more for something still in package, even if the package was in rough shape. Knowing that everything INSIDE the package is still there and in unused condition goes a long way. As said, it may be worth less to an in-package collector than a nice, minty box, but still better than open.

Now, all of that goes for if your just planning on selling these things. If you plan to keep them in your collection and have been waffling about opening vs. not-opening purely for your own enjoyment, than I could see how this could affect the decision. I've had things, too, that I had avoided opening because I felt that the packaged value outweighed the desire to actual use the toy. But, once that value goes down a bit, suddenly it may be worth more to you personally to open it.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm no MISB collector but I also don't want to be the guy who ruins something. So when it comes to old toys I like buying one that's already loose. But I would consider a sealed one if the package is degraded enough.

So the packaging might be worthless to the extent that I'm going to throw it out, but it might also lure me as a buyer in the first place.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I would agree with what's already been said, basically that if the figures are still sealed inside the yellowed bubbles that the packaging has value by ensuring the figure inside is complete and unhandled. On the other hand, if the packages are opened, then (if it were me) I would probably cut the bubbles off the cards and just save the backing cards for informational value and/or cool artwork.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Are these all still figures sealed in package, just yellowed bubbles?

I'd say stuff sealed in package is still worth more than loose, but obviously damaged packaging (to include yellowing) is worth less than pristine. If it's just opened packaging that's been set aside, the value is even less still.

Ultimately, your market just shrinks because when it comes time to sell, you're now looking for a person that cares enough to want packaging, but not enough to care what shape it's in.
Nope, still unopened! ...unless the glue has worn off or something and I just haven't found out yet.

Thanks, everyone!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Amazon is running a sale on Mattel stuff, particularly of interest here is probably the Lightyear toys.
Hyperspeed jets for under $6, the second year stuff like the Armadillo (in film colors) and the 5" scale Starbase for $31 and change.

Top Bottom