Tomb Raider

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Well, like I said in my last post, this game is so much more brutal than I remembered. But I'm happy I finally got to this part because if there was one part I wanted to do a comparison for, it was this.

Caldwin

Citizen
So I killed Pierre but let the Centaurs live. Who knew, there's a trophy for that. I'm now in Obelisk of Khamoon. I don't know why I continue to do this to myself. Every new room is a new reminder of how difficult these first gen Tomb Raiders are.

I also tried going back to Legend and Anniversary. I was surprised by the graphics. I mean, sure the PS3 was two generations ago, but I don't remember it being so, I don't know, blurry? They still seemed fun enough except my PS3 controller is borked, so I had to get some new ones. Problem is, apparently Sony isn't making controllers for systems 2 generations ago and I had to go third party. The controllers I have are...usable. But they're pretty stiff.

It makes me wish even more that Legend/Anniversary/Underworld would get remastered for PS5. It's not like they haven't remastered darn well near everything else!

Caldwin

Citizen
I just finished Sanctuary of the Scion. This game right here is why so many people of my generation developed the habit of save scumming.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'm afraid I'm done with the Remasters. I really wanted to at least see the first game through to completion. But these games were hard back when I was comfortable with the controls. I'm afraid now I'm beating my head into a brick wall here.

May do some Croft Manor stuff or even beat my head against the wall every once in a while to see if something shakes loose. But with all the other games I'm working on, on is going to be on the back burner for now.
Well, I'm on the last stage of TR1. I beat the torso monster last night (much easier with modern controls).
Thought maybe I'd give some remaster comparisons.

IMG_3087.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg

Now here I'm not sure which is better. On a still frame the remake looks far better and fleshy. But in action, the original version has a better pulsing animation on the walls that just feels far more icky which I like.

IMG_3089.jpeg
IMG_3088.jpeg

Remaster has the definite edge here. Original looks like she needs to phone home.

Edit before actually posting:
I beat it. I can't remember when the last time was that I beat the original TR, but let me just say...Windows 95.

Wow, the memories!

Caldwin

Citizen
So for some reason quite beyond my comprehension I am now on level 2 (Venice) of Tomb Raider II. I distinctly remember saying I was done with it early on in TR1 because it was just too brutal. But something about classic Lara just won't let me stop

I don't know how far I'll be playing this but it hasn't let me go yet.

Caldwin

Citizen
I just finished the Offshore Rig in TR2. These games are really making me ask myself, why doI stay with these games. They don't love me. They give me nothing but misery and pain and laugh in my face to see me cry. And yet somehow I'm the one who keeps crawling back begging for more!

Caldwin

Citizen
I just started Crews Quarters on TR2 and it really makes me wonder... how the heck did I get through this game originally? I mean, the only guide I had was extremely piss poor and sure the internet existed, but it was in its early 46k modem days where pics and videos weren't exactly feasible. How in the world did I get past this?

Caldwin

Citizen
Anyone who says they can get through Tomb Raider 2 without a guide has eith played it as many times as I've played Mass Effect or they're a hugging lier!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
If you want another way to play the Classic PSX games...

Evercade is really stepping up the last year with a lot of PSX ports (which is probably the limit to what the hardware can do). Though, I'm not a fan of them claiming "64 bit titles" with Glover since the version being released is the PSX version, not N64. But anyway...
Trailer is for Collection 1, which means the remaining PSX era games are almost guaranteed. The Tomb Raider Collection will also be available bundled with the revised Evercade hardware.

Caldwin

Citizen
I finished the second game. I'm not sure if I really feel up to going for the third. Here's a little comparison video I captured.

EDIT:
Also, what's the point of photo mode if you don't take photos "

IMG_3103.jpeg

Last edited:

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, here we go. You knew it was coming. In fact, I'm surprised it took me this long.

IMG_2483.jpeg

Core/Eidos collection. Far right column is PC. Middle column is PS1/PS2. Yes, I got a PS1 version of TR 3 since Page 1. Far left, I found an Ebay listing that was cheaper to get TR1 and TR3 together than any of the other TR 3 solo listings. So I have an extra copy of TR1 with no case, no instruction manual if anyone is interested.

IMG_2484.jpeg

Crystal Dynamics collection. Yes, that's the expensive collectors edition of Tomb Raider. I still display the figure on my collection shelf.

IMG_3108.jpeg
IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3110.jpeg

IMG_3111.jpeg

Digital games. Survivor series is via PS+. I don't really care to have a physical copy of Shadow. I played it for a little bit and it was just kinda, meh!

IMG_2485.jpeg

I don't remember ever seeing any actual toys back in the day. So this was my own person "close enough."

IMG_2489.jpeg

Seperate pic for the POP figure because I keep forgetting I own it.

IMG_2486.jpeg

Yeah, I'm not to proud to use guides. Particularly the old games can be hard as balls!

IMG_2487.jpeg

Comics. Not a huge fan of Witchblade, but hey! Throw in some Tomb Raider with her...

IMG_2490.jpeg

And of course there were movies. Daniel Craig before he was Bond.

Top Bottom