Energon Universe - ongoing Transformers and G.I. Joe comics from Skybound

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Instead of the Energon Universe, they should have called it the Slow Burn Universe, amirite?

I do wonder if maybe Larry Hama is planning to wind down the ARAH series (or maybe just put it on hiatus after tying up some loose ends), and they are waiting to do an EU Joe book after that, so there aren't 2 GI Joe titles competing for space on shelves (or digital offerings)?

On the plus side, finally found most of the back issues I need to get caught up on the EU, so hopefully I can sit down and read them and have some more thoughts on the actual plots!

Shadewing

Citizen
Instead of the Energon Universe, they should have called it the Slow Burn Universe, amirite?

The only series i feel like is an actual slow burn, in a negative sense, is Void Rivals where it feels like its actively dragging it feet instead of getting anywhere. Transformers is going at a good pace, and Duke and CC actually feels like their plots are going somewhere, even if we're not immedatley getting GiJoe and Cobra.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
TF #6 is out today!

Some more great fight scenes and visuals, but... I expected more of a climax? This might just be my own fault, since it's the end of the first arc (even a new artist coming on with #7) and my own expectations for that. But, Sparkplug's sacrifice aside, this is basically just a resolution to the big fight, with the Decepticons retreating and leaving things relatively similar to where we were just a couple issues ago. That said, looking at the solicits for the next couple issues, I think things will be moving along shortly.

And yeah, jeez Cliffjumper, just shoot him! If it was anyone but Starscream I might understand, but he's a particularly difficult sell for the "no, I won't kill him" situation and it just makes CJ look dumb (and insanely lucky that Carly didn't die).

ETA: "You know the song" was pretty cute.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
This was a good issue. We get our big fight, like we expected. The fight is what takes up most of the issue.

And there's even something most people won't see coming. I don't know if they'll like it or hate it, but it's something I didn't see coming. I was surprised, so that counts for something.

But, yeah, this was a interesting way to end the first arc. I'm looking forward to what this leads to in the future.

Well, before we talk about that big moment, let's talk about some of other stuff this issue.

We actually get a brief glimpse of Jimmy the astronaut. He's...pretty nondescript, really. Just a generic astronaut guy. I still have a sneaking suspicion he won't be as dead as we think he is.

Starscream's throwing up the devil horns while Devastator's rampaging around. He's so bloodthirsty in this series. It's almost endearing.

OOF, Thundercracker still thinks the Autobots are the ones who dismantled Skywarp. There's gonna be comeuppance eventually, I'm sure.

Heh...Devstators just flinging Optimus around...like a toy...I see what you did there.

"What is...dad?" You know, that's a fair question. The Transformers don't really have a frame of reference for that word.

You know, for a second here, I really thought they actually might kill off Optimus in this first arc. But...I'll save more of my thoughts on this scene for the end.

Optimus gets better and then RIPS OFF Devastator's ring finger! Now he can never get married!

The panel of Optimus just UNLOADING with Megatron's cannon and his own gun is just so cool! And then he does a flying kick to his chin.

Carly gets to shoot a gun that literally twice her size! Spike's a lucky guy.

But...Cliffjumper can't bring himself to finish off Starscream. And as far as I can tell, Starscream survives this issue. But, not before getting hit with ten tons of combiner. Optimus can THROW! But...yeah, hopefully Cliffjumper doesn't end up regretting his mercy too much later on.

Soundwave just wants to fix his cat, so he gets everyone else out of there. Optimus DID give him a chance to end this right now. Plenty of chances were wasted to end this conflict right here. They sure do seem to be setting some sort of guilt arc up for multiple characters.

And Spike wakes up...and wants to see his dad. OOF! They're gonna rub this one in, I can feel it.

So...Sparkplug enters the Matrix. Literally. He just walks into the "liquid crystal" core like it's a Stargate. Giving up his life to give his..."life energy" to Optimus, to save his life. Maybe even LITERALLY becoming a bit of his "Spark". Cute. For a second, I thought maybe Sparkplug was going to end up being the next "Prime", but, nope!

I'm not sure how I feel about it. The scene itself is pretty well done. But, the Matrix has never done something quite like this before. But, this is a new continuity. I guess it doesn't have to work EXACTLY like it usually does. But, I'm not sure if we really need to be giving the Matrix MORE powers than it usually has. I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I guess this gives us a chance to maybe "Enter the Matrix" to save him later? That could be a interesting arc.

This DOES mean that Optimus is more "Spike's Dad" than in any other continuity EVER. He's now LITERALLY a substitute father figure. That's...uhh...something. I wonder if Spikes gonna be all like "You're not my REAL DAD!"

It's interesting, anyway. I'm willing to see where they go with it. Hopefully, it's not too much of a downer.

Shadewing

Citizen
Decided not to wait like the last issue, with it takign forever for some reason,

Yeah, I don't quite get the how/why Sparkplug thing works. The Matrix has never been connected to Prime's Spark (BW Animation error aside), so I don't really get how this works. I'm not even sure why Sparkplug thinks/knows it would work... It just does... for reasons.. And I think I kinda would have liked Prime to actual die here, becuase that would be something really kinda different. Prime dying early and someone else taking over. Even if its not permenant. It would kinda mirror the Decepticons with both sides having to make due with out their typical leaders.

This is the first time I've not come off an issue hyped. It's not a bad issue, I just feel like the whole Prime Death scene is overall kinda forced to give the issue an 'important' death. I would have much prefered Sparkplug to stick around... I just kinda feel its too early for a scene like this tbh...

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I have to say...

The "Aw yeah!" and "You know the song" panels really gave me Scioli vibes ala the TF vs Joe IDW series. And it was great!

MrBlud

Citizen
You know what I think is gonna happen?

Sparkplug isn’t dead. He merely went through the Matrix to wind up at the Well of All sparks (or whatever) on Cybertron where he meets Elita. Remember the solicit for #8

“As the Autobots and Decepticons make some tough choices to survive on Earth, the return of SPOILER will change the war on Cybertron forever.”

Seems really dumb to SPOILER someone appearing on the actual cover but Sparkplug definitely would be one, especially after this issue

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Setting aside the whole "how did this work" thing, the part about Sparkplug's sacrifice that bugs me is, if these Decepticons got an inkling that they could somehow use humans to restore themselves, the book could end up with wholesale butchering of people, and I'm sure I'm not down for that. It's an epic moment, to be sure, but there's just something worrying me about the implications here.

Also, when Optimus tosses Devastator, is that Godzilla's "SKREEONK" sound effect in the background?

Shadewing

Citizen
Setting aside the whole "how did this work" thing, the part about Sparkplug's sacrifice that bugs me is, if these Decepticons got an inkling that they could somehow use humans to restore themselves, the book could end up with wholesale butchering of people, and I'm sure I'm not down for that. It's an epic moment, to be sure, but there's just something worrying me about the implications here.

Also, when Optimus tosses Devastator, is that Godzilla's "SKREEONK" sound effect in the background?

tbf... isn't this how we eventually got Powermasters? :p [/spoilers]

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Cobra Commander #3 is out!

It's a solid issue. Most of the issue is just Cobra Commander dealing with the Dreadnoks, though. There is a very slight Transformers connection, but it's basically just a background element for now. And if you're turned off by this univerde's violent excesses...I don't think you'll like this issue. Otherwise, this is a middling middle issue. It gets the job done. And some of the imagery might end up sticking with you...for good or for ill.

We DO get confirmation that there be Energon in 'dem dar swamps! In cube form no less! But, that's it for the Transformers connection.

Most of the issue is spent with the Dreadnoks torturing Cobra Commander in bloody fashion. It gets a little much. They even paint a little smiley face on his helmet with his own blood. That's uh...that's a image that might stick with me for a bit.

Taking a wielding torch to CC's mask with little results is also kind of a interesting scene. Whatever that thing's made of, it's tough stuff.

I do like Cobra Commander playing mind games with them to turn them against each other. Even though, it almost feels too easy. But...these ARE the Dreadnoks, so outsmarting them probably isn't rocket science. It's not even a motorcycle repair class at the local community center, though.

We also get the reveal that CC's bodyguard IS Nemesis Enforcer...after he pulls off his own skin. This comic is NOT afraid to be gory. I do kind of feel bad for that snake that he just pulls apart at the beginning of the book. You made me feel bad for a snake, well done, comic! I have to ask though, is Nemesis Enforcer a big fan favorite in this franchise? They're making a big deal about him showing up in the letters pages. Maybe that's just generic editor hype *shrug*.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
I was always more of a Cartoon and toy Joe fan than a comic one. I might have read only 2 or 3 as a kid that didn't have Transformers in them, but Nemesis Enforcer was definitely a big deal to me. He was basically the Cobra Equivalent of like Devastator or Grimlock. A "Big Gun" with power beyond the normal cast.

-ZacWilliam, He's a Frankenstein/Vampire in a world full of normal soldiers.

Shadewing

Citizen
CC #3

This continues to be my favorite of the two Joe titles. I love what they are doing with Commander. He just silently takes all this punishment and abuse; torture does nothing to him... he just waits and bides his time. It has to hurt like a bitch, but he remains calm and focused the whole time and that makes him /scary/. And then when he does speak, he shows that he's been using that time of being tortured to listen in and use what knowledge he's gain against them. As Zaku says with the Dreadnoks that really isn't that hard; but still if Zarana wasn't there? He probably could have walked out on his own given a little more time. This whole issue, imo, is mostly showing how effective and dangerous Commander can be even without his weapons. Just talking is a weapon for him.

And then, yeah. Nemesis Enforcer; pretty much everyone seen that coming... but its still like dropping a Hulk on a bunch of boozed up rednecks... Becuase that's pretty much what it is exactly...

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
June solicitations are out!

And some thoughts on the solicits.
From the looks of things, something big might be happening in Void Rivals 10. Finally. Hopefully, it's a twist that's worth all this build up.

Shadewing

Citizen
And some thoughts on the solicits.
From the looks of things, something big might be happening in Void Rivals 10. Finally. Hopefully, it's a twist that's worth all this build up.

Considering VR's track record; I'm expecting the twist to be utterly underwhelming.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
*Googles* Oh, I totally forgot about those guys. Small wonder, I know. Yeah, that'd be in this universe's wheel house, alright.

But, I do think it's possible we get a interesting twist. Even as middling as Void Rivals has been so far, this is still written by Robert Kirkman. I'm betting he's got something up his sleeve. I do wonder if some of Void Rivals' pacing issues are linked to this being a shared universe and trying to give the other books time to establish themselves before changing the status quo.

I still think it's possible that these guys are basically made of Energon, given the crystals in their foreheads. Being evolved from it or something. Then the Transformers start fighting over them like they're Mini-Cons in Armada.

Last edited:

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Well, Duke #4 is out!

It's still good. It's a fun action movie romp in comic book form. The art's still pretty great and I have no complaints about the writing.

There's not much else to add. If you like action, I think this issue will be for you. This issue is mostly one big action scene. Things do go boom!

It feels like they really are trying to make the Baroness just the "bad girl" of the team. Instead of a...actually bad person. I guess we'll see how that goes. I mean...she's almost guaranteed to betray them at some point. I guess the dramatic part is just waiting for the "when".

We do get some classic Joe vehicles in this. I'm sure that's making plenty of people really nostalgic right about now.

Oh, and Destro's army needs a new fuel source. These vehicles they're making are just too big and cool. Gee...I wonder what energy source they could possibly get their hands on in the future?

...Although, that really does seem like poor design work. Who designs a tank that can't move with "normal" fuel? Destro needs to fire his weapon designers.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Void Rivals #8 is out!

And, I'd say this issue actually picks things up a bit. There's some action. There's a bit of backstory. And we actually have a interesting hook for the next issue. Things seem to be getting interesting.

I'm not sure it'd be enough to win back anyone who's already dropped the book. But it does seem like the pace is finally starting to pick up, just a smidge.

Salt-Man Z

that is not dead which can eternal lie
Citizen
Anyone else digitally subscribed to Void Rivals through Amazon/Comixology and not get #8? Usually you get charged for an issue a week or two in advance, but it looks like my subscription hiccupped and paid for #9 early (two weekends ago) and skipped #8 entirely. I suppose at this point I'll just wait until May and get #8 at half price, and then read it and #9 back-to-back...

Top Bottom