A Long Time Ago In a Galaxy Far, Far Away.... - Star Wars General Discussion

Axaday

Citizen
Not so sure how much Disney proper will be making off of those since they sold off their physical media division to Sony.
I don't know how that kind of thing works, but presumably Sony would have to pay a license to make the DVD sets.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Not so sure how much Disney proper will be making off of those since they sold off their physical media division to Sony.

They didn't sell it off as much as contract out the manufacturing and distribution, mostly because their own physical media division was a mess, and Sony's is top-notch. I'm sure Disney still gets the lion share of the sales, with Sony getting a cut in addition to offsetting their costs. Now Disney can layoff their own department, and just collect the money from the releases they get Sony to put out. Although the Disney Movie Club is now toast, I do hope Sony continues putting out the older works here and there. Especially the livev-action 60s/70s/80s material like That Darn Cat, The Cat from Outer Space, and The Three Lives of Thomasina (three of my favourite cat films from their archive that I had taped off TV as a kid and watched the hell out of ). We also still need 1997's The Love Bug with Bruce Campbell, as the rest of the series already made it out through the DMC.

These discs actually come out before that deal takes effect, though. These are still 100% Disney releases.

Their first joint release will be (the somewhat ironically titled) The First Omen.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
Empire already had some complicated subtext with Lando and Han, but does Solo change it? I'm processing here myself. I think when Empire came out, what you had was that Han and Lando were old friends, but that Han had some uncertainty how welcome he would be because of their last encounter. So when Lando first fronts that he is mad at him, Han is fooled by it, but when Lando hugs him he is relieved. But unfortunately we later find out that Lando knew at that moment that he was setting Han up. To me that leaves it kind of unclear how Lando was feeling there. He showed two fronts and did not show the reality.

After Solo, we don't know when their last encounter was, but it could perhaps have been when Han won the Falcon. If so, they never were friends. Han was naive to think he would get any kind of welcome, but maybe he was that naive. He seemed to like Lando more than Lando liked him in Solo.

=-=-=-=

Has an insider ever talked about how Lando was allowed to mispronounce Han and 3PO was allowed to mispronounce Leia and the director didn't do anything about it?

Dake

Citizen
It's part of Han's character to assume everyone mostly loves him. Remember, it's Chewie that implies Lando might be less than thrilled to see him. Han mostly blows it off but it plants that seed even as they are getting ready to meet each other after landing. Ultimately, I think it's implied it's all part of the game. Lando had to make a good show of it regardless, in order to not get in trouble with Vader.

As to the mispronunciation, I think they fixed the Han thing in Solo by showing Lando do it to annoy him. I forgot about the Leia thing though - chalk it up to no one thought it mattered back then - much like Leia's disappearing British accent.

Axaday

Citizen
As to the mispronunciation, I think they fixed the Han thing in Solo by showing Lando do it to annoy him. I forgot about the Leia thing though - chalk it up to no one thought it mattered back then - much like Leia's disappearing British accent.
It is something that probably bothers most people less than it does me, but it feels really strange from someone who is always bragging about being fluent in 6 million languages. It makes me wonder "how fluent?"

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Maybe it's specific to the accent that 3p0 was programmed with.

Axaday

Citizen
He shouldn't be programmed with any accent carried over from one language to another.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Not to overthink it, but it actually would make sense for interpreter droids to have an accent. it's a pretty intuitive way to express that, while I speak your language, I am not a local and may not know local customs/culture.

Dake

Citizen
I mean - C3P0 has the accent of a person from a country that doesn't even exist yet in that universe soooo...

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
I mean - C3P0 has the accent of a person from a country that doesn't even exist yet in that universe soooo...
north.jpg

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
Star Wars is set a long time ago. So is Pride and Prejudice. English might already exist.
This is where we get into the whole Ringer-style pretention of The Journal of the Whills being a notional source document for the saga we know....

Anyway, we know from multiple explanatory tomes (The New Essential Chronology, The Essential Atlas, The Essential Guide to Warfare) that humanity arose in the Core Worlds region and spread out through the galaxy, first in sleeper ships then in hyperdrive-equipped vessels. Cultural splits started happening amongst prominent worlds, most notably Alsakan (Great Houses with titles, use of the High Galactic (Latin) alphabet) and Coruscant (more corporate-friendly, use of Aurebesh). Later on, Corellia (which had a royal house prior to about 800 years before the films, then became a republic) developed its own sphere of influence around two major hyperlane extending from its system, antispinwards of the previous expansions. Eventually the Seventeenth and Last Alsakan Conflict (approximately 3000 years before the Great Resynchronization -- for reference, the Battle of Yavin was in 35 GR) was settled at sword point in the Galactic Senate offices by the Corellian monarch of the day.

My concept that is mine (and seems to be born out by the films), is that while Coruscant and Alsakan had different writing systems, worlds in there spheres of influence had a similar sound to their Basic dialects (ranging from Received Pronunciation English to the sort of wandering Mid-Atlantic we here from Carrie Fisher and Natalie Portman). Worlds in the Corellian sphere of influence (Tatooine became a de facto Huttese dependency, but is very close to to the Corellian Run) tend to sound more like American English to our ears.

Of course, this doesn't factor in regional enclaves such as the Tapani Cluster, the Atrisian Commonwealth or the Tion Hegemony -- but to the best of my knowledge we haven't seen or heard anyone from those places either, so a future writer has some room to plant some ideas.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
That point is pretty quibbleable. Qui-Gon walks in and says he saw a Sith and someone tells him it is impossible. What's impossible? Surely they aren't telling the man that he imagined the whole thing. I am sure they are telling him that the guy he saw dressed in black and carrying a red lightsaber wasn't a Sith.

Dake

Citizen
Yoda's comment about the Sith being gone for a millennia likely refers to the final battle on Ruusan, after which the Sith went underground with Darth Bane.

It's been reported this takes place 100 years before Phantom Menace (so about 132 BBY). We could be seeing the early days of the Sith resurgence as part of their "Grand Plan". The red lightsaber could be Darth Plagueis. He does not have a canon birth date, but Legends puts him born as early as 147 BBY (the director has also said she's pulled in some EU bits). No reason they couldn't push that back a bit further to make him a little older during this time period - perhaps having just killed his own master. Stenberg's character could be his first apprentice prior to taking on Palpatine who was born 84 BBY. Heck, the Jedi murders could be partly to hide his own killing of his master as just one of many.

The show definitely looks like it jumps around a bit in time (the youngling scene in the trailer seems to show a time earlier than the scene with the group of Jedi).

I'm wondering if the titular "Acolyte" will actually wind up being Palpatine.

Last edited:

Top Bottom