(40th Anniv.) Ranking the 100 Marvel (US) G1/G2 Comic Covers: #85-81

Magnusblitz

Citizen
MarvelUS-01.jpg

40 years ago today, May 8, 1984, the first piece of Transformers media - Marvel Comics' The Transformers #1 - was released. Although the cartoon would prove the more impactful of the two in the public consciousness, the comic was integral to the formation of the franchise as we know it today (we should probably all be glad that Marvel Productions' initial treatment was shot down!) Bob Budiansky developed most of the characters and background for the beginning of the franchise, and as editor, his work helped make the comic popular enough to graduate from a 4-issue limited series into an ongoing, eventually lasting 80 issues until 1991, four years after the cartoon had finished. And while it was short lived, the comic was revived for a brand-new 12-issue run for Generation 2, while the cartoon would only get reruns with Cybernet Space Cube window dressing.

I have a fond nostalgia for the comics, though, full disclosure, I was a 90's kid who first got into Transformers during G2 - so, even as a child, the original 80s run of comics had an aura of bygone history and mystique for me, even for some of the sillier stories and concepts. And while they say not to judge a book by its cover, a comic book's cover is definitely an important part of the package - it's the first thing you see, may largely decide if you buy the issue, and often feature striking images that last in your memory beyond the interior pages.

To that end, I thought it'd be fun for the anniversary to rank and discuss all* 100 covers of the Marvel US comic. I'll post my own ranks in batches of 5 or 10 every couple days or so, but please feel free to discuss in this topic however you'd like - share your own favorite (or least favorite) covers, wax poetic on the halcyon days of 80's coloring, tell me how I'm wrong and the cover to #55 is actually the greatest TF cover of all time, whatever! As art, this is of course, highly subjective, and just one fan's opinion, but I hope to spark some fun discussion.

Boring details in the process if anyone cares, spoiler boxed for space:
Issues Considered: This list covers the 80 issues of the Transformers run, the 4 issues of G.I. Joe and the Transformers, the 4 issues of Headmasters, and 12 issues of Generation 2. I decided to leave out The Movie (because it's an adaptation) and Universe (because the covers are constrained by the format). I also limited myself to the US run, partially for time/space constraints (adding in the UK covers would probably triple the list), and also because I'm just simply not as familiar with it and don't have the same personal connection to it outside of the few trades I've read. This isn't to criticize, there are some real bangers in there, but it just wasn't feasible.

I went back and forth on whether to include G2 or not, as there was a bit of a shift in style, but ultimately decided it wasn't too big of one, and only being separated by the end of G1 by a little over two years (far less than the seven years separating #1 and #80!) Also, it's nice to have an even 100.

Methodology: To help me initially rank the images, I brainstormed on what makes a good comic cover? From the company perspective, whatever gets you to buy the issue is the chief concern. Of course, bait covers are a thing, and might eventually turn off readers long-term if they keep buying comics where the covers lie, so that should be a factor as well. As a purchaser (and someone who cares enough to wax poetic about comic covers decades later), I think a more general 'overall quality' of the art is the most important factor.

So, I ended up scoring each cover in a few different categories:
Overall Quality (1-5) - how well the characters are drawn/detailed, composition of the image, if it just looks "cool" or not. Includes stuff like the characters being colored correctly, which for anyone familiar with the G1 comics, is a factor that crops up quite often.
Eye-Catching (1-3) - does the comic stand out, catch your eye on the shelf? Color contrast is big here.
Interest (1-3) - once I'm looking at the cover, does it make me want to buy it? A good cover should stir the emotions.
Accuracy (-1, 0, 1) - I detest misleading comic covers. Outright misleading covers (i.e., characters who aren't even in the book) get -1, while stuff like generic team shots or sorta-bait covers get a 0 (with some leeway for issues where it makes sense, like #1 issues). Thankfully, this is much more of a problem for current day comics; most of the books here got a 1 with no problem.

Admittedly, these factors are not the be-all end-all, and this was just a rough framework to help me organize the initial rankings (and thankfully, the overall scores ended up in a decent bell curve). Some issues got moved around in the final rankings, and I often would use gut feelings to break ties (especially since some of the factors really tended to clump around the middle grades).

For each cover, I'm referring to the artists as listed on the wiki - the penciler should always be listed, but I think sometimes the inkers weren't credited. And I'm assuming Yomtov was the colorist for all issues except G2, so I won't bother listing him.

With all that out of the way, onto the rankings! (Links to each post to be updated here):
#100-96, #95-91
#90-86, #85-81

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
#100: The Transformers #58 - "All the Familiar Faces!"
Jose Delbo

MarvelUS-58.jpg

I went back and forth between this one and the next one for the dubious honor of the worst cover, but in the end, had to go with the one that's little more than a giant, all-red Optimus Prime head, zoomed in so far his whole head doesn't even fit. The eyeballs especially give it some unintentional comedy, as (to steal a joke from someone smarter than me on the wiki) it seems like Prime is just glaring angrily at poor Spider-Man in the corner.

Admittedly, it's certainly eye-catching from afar, and the background makes a nice contrast I suppose, but that's about all it's got going for it. The blurb is is somewhat misleading as well, as Optimus was 'out of control' last issue, but he also realized as such and calmed himself down by the end of that issue as well. In the end, this cover feels like a deadline got missed, or something else went awry, and this was a last-second scramble. A good one to pull out for a laugh.

#99: The Transformers #33 - "Man of Iron! (parts 1-2)"
Charles Vess

MarvelUS-33.jpg

There's really no ignoring the elephant giant robot in the room, and that's the hilariously miscolored and shoddily drawn Megatron on the cover. Not only is he cast in colors that would make anyone this side of Action Master Thundercracker wince, but the artist forgot to give him eyes. The cover is also highly misleading, as Megatron isn't even in the story, and the medieval setting is limited to two pages of backstory while most of the story takes place in present day. Orange text on a green bubble is also nigh unreadable. That said, I do like a couple of the flourishes here, such as the UK flag behind Grimlock in the corner box, and the knights are pretty well drawn. But there's no getting away from the giant clown robot.

#98: The Transformers #51 - "The Man in the Machine!"
José Delbo, Danny Bulanadi

MarvelUS-51.jpg

Clearly I'm supposed to feel like Fort Max is in dire straits, but something about the awkwardness of how the scene is constructed this scene keeps me from feeling that. Instead, I get the sense that Max is just bumbling around - like "oh silly me, what an unfortunate time to get tangled up in these ski lift cables and drop my head, right as this giant wolf and warthog attack!"

I'm generally a bit frosty on Delbo's art, but I think Yomtov shoulders a fair amount of blame for this one, as Fort Max is miscolored (despite having been a main cast member for a year now, so no excuse) and the general color scheme is flat and bland (except for bubblegum pink Prime in the corner box). It also feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, as the meat of the story (Spike's nightmares and grappling with himself) could be mined for a much more creative cover image than just copying the obligatory robot fight.

#97: The Transformers #46 - "Ca$h and Car-nage!"
Frank Springer

MarvelUS-46.jpg

"The Sparkabots battle the Roadjammers!" was never going to be a strong hook, but having the focus of your cover be a giant unidentifiable magneta robot crotch certainly doesn't help. I guess I appreciate trying something different, but I think this one didn't work.

#96: The Transformers #52 - "Guess Who the Mecannibals Are Having for Dinner?"

MarvelUS-52.jpg

On average I find Delbo's work underwhelming if passable, but this is a notch below his usual. The Mecannibals aren't too bad, if a bit goofy, but Landmine looks extremely silly here (even taking into account that the inner Pretender robots don't give much to work with). To be honest, I think a large part of it is the pupils - Delbo loved to give his robots little dot pupils, with the end result of almost always making me think of googly eyes.

Last edited:

Magnusblitz

Citizen
#95: The Transformers #56 - "Back from the Dead"
Dan Reed

MarvelUS-56.jpg

Dan Reed was a frequent artist on the UK books, and was the first one from that title to work on the US book, getting to do the cover of Furman's first US issue (he also did interiors for issue #64). Reed's UK work is somewhat infamous for its curvy, 'organic' style, including some rather toothy growls.

This cover reins his style in though, appearing almost somewhat Delbo-esque. Unfortunately, the end result is rather blah IMO - the robots aren't really that interesting (and the two jets are very oddly shaped), the colors are subdued, and there's ultimately not much calling me out to make me want to buy/read this issue. It's hard to make the Micromasters interesting, but it's certainly an inauspicious start to Furman's run.

#94: G.I. Joe and the Transformers #4 - "...All Fall Down!"
Tom Morgan
JoeTF4.jpg

This cover is a perfect example of the "generic team shot" cover that's become far too prevalent in modern times, but was thankfully much rarer back then. To be somewhat fair, it's not a totally random selection, as these are the characters (minus the Decepticons) that feature in the issue. But everyone is standing around in a strangely composited design, and the Transformers are especially stilted and awkward looking crammed in the back. A disappointing final cover for the climax of the miniseries.

#93: The Transformers #22 - "Heavy Traffic!"
Herb Trimpe
MarvelUS-22.jpg

For the 25th anniversary of Marvel (going back to the 1961 release of The Fantastic Four), all the Marvel books released in November 1986 shared the same cover design, with a close-up portrait of a major character surrounded by the border filled with Marvel's biggest superheroes. X-Men got Storm and Wolverine, GIJOE got Snake-Eyes, etc.

But for some reason, instead of say, Optimus Prime or Megatron, Transformers got... Menasor? While it's a well-drawn robot face, it doesn't even particularly look like Menasor, but more like a Menasor/Motormaster mashup with the shortened crest and purple face. In any event, while Menasor does at least feature in the story, but Prime and Megatron do show up too, so it's a very befuddling choice.

And while the theme is cute, it ultimately doesn't make me interested to read the story inside (though I suppose it might've spurred collectors to buy it along with the other 25th Anniversary covers). I don't hold this one against Trimpe, I think he did a decent job with the rules he was given, but the constraints don't make for a good Transformers cover. He'll have some much better ones later though...

#92: The Transformers #11 - "Brainstorm!"
Herb Trimpe
MarvelUS-11.jpg

...Okay, but not this one. One positive is that it does create some immediate emotion that the Autobots are in trouble (unlike say #51 above). But there's a lot of problems here. Jetfire is extremely poorly drawn and off-model (and he's got a really cool jet model, so it's extra-sinful). Bluestreak and Bumblebee are miscolored as Hound and Cliffjumper. And while I do typically appreciate bright colors for contrast, here everything is a bright color, either red, yellow, or green, creating an eyesore.

#91: The Transformers #8 - "Repeat Performance!"
Mark Bright, Kyle Baker

MarvelUS-08.jpg

I expect this one will garner disagreement, and a lot of people will say "what, that Dinobots cover is awesome!" Admittedly, there was a bit of a separation between the last 9 and the next set of issues, and I agonized a bit over which one to join the bottom 10, before eventually deciding on this one. Highly subjective, but it hits just a few too many pet peeves for me. One, it's a generic team shot, that attracts interest solely on your desire to see the characters (though, for Dinobots, that's probably not a bad bet in the same way the Airstrike Micromaster Patrol is). Two, they're drawn in a bit of a weird style, a little too "adorable" for my tastes. Third, what's up with that weird lime green rock? And fourth, where are Swoop and Snarl? Bad enough they had to wait to debut in the cartoon, but this issue came out in May 1985! I will not abide Dinobot caste division!

Shadhausen

Citizen
#98: The Transformers #51 - "The Man in the Machine!"

MarvelUS-51.jpg

Clearly I'm supposed to feel like Fort Max is in dire straits, but something about the awkwardness of how the scene is constructed this scene keeps me from feeling that. Instead, I get the sense that Max is just bumbling around - like "oh silly me, what an unfortunate time to get tangled up in these ski lift cables and drop my head, right as this giant wolf and warthog attack!"

I'm generally a bit frosty on Delbo's art, but I think Yomtov shoulders a fair amount of blame for this one, as Fort Max is miscolored (despite having been a main cast member for a year now, so no excuse) and the general color scheme is flat and bland (except for bubblegum pink Prime in the corner box). It also feels like a bit of a missed opportunity, as the meat of the story (Spike's nightmares and grappling with himself) could be mined for a much more creative cover image than just copying the obligatory robot fight.
Interestingly, Fortress Maximus color scheme here and on the cover of The Headmasters #1 seem to be based off a red and gray/tan prototype that can be seen here.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
#90: Transformers: Generation 2 #12 - "A Rage in Heaven!"
Derek Yaniger

MarvelUSG2-12.jpg

As you could probably guess from my avatar, I'm a big fan of Derek Yaniger's style, and it's probably one of the most memorable aspects of Generation 2 in general. It was perfect for the XTREEEME vibe that mid 90s comics cultivated, and at its best (for example, his interiors for #1 and #6) still remain some of my favorite Transformers art. Unfortunately, Yaniger seems to have trouble keeping up with deadlines, as while he did do all 12 covers of the book, after the first issue he fell into doing the shorter halves of the books, before eventually being replaced by Geoff Senior.

As for this cover? As much as I like Yaniger's style, I feel this is several steps below his usual output. Prime is fairly simplistic (by his standards) and has a red crotch for some reason. I also don't think the Swarm effect is rendered very well here (is it the black? the white?) All in all, compared with the other 11 covers, this one sticks out in a bad way, and is a of a disappointing note to go out on for the series.

#89: The Transformers #34 - "Man of Iron! (parts 3-4)"
Tom Morgan, Ian Akin, Brian Garvey

MarvelUS-34.jpg

Back to complaining about the Man of Iron covers! I actually do really like the shot Prime taking the brunt of blasts to protect the human behind him - a very heroic picture. Unfortunately, the rest is a bit wonky - the kid is too big compared to Prime, and the Decepticon jet is WAY too small and has very odd proportions. And, as will be a theme for a lot of the following covers, this cover is quite misleading - while Optimus does show up, he doesn't do any fighting, so sorry kids who bought this issue wanting to see their favorite Autobot Commander show his stuff. And, sadly, they didn't carry over the UK flag corner box from last issue.

#88: The Transformers #26 - "Funeral for a Friend!"
Herb Trimpe

MarvelUS-26.jpg

After losing Optimus in #24 and Megatron in #25, this issue features an emotional funeral send-off for Optimus (and Ratchet grappling with his grief), with the B-story of Ratchet tussling with a human villain opportunistically taking advantage of stolen Autobot tech. So of course rather than focus on Prime's funeral, the cover focuses on the guy in the jumpsuit with a 5 o'clock shadow. I do appreciate how well Trimpe drew the Autobots piled up in the background, but there's just no getting past that a cover centered on The Mechanic just isn't a draw.

#87: The Transformers #57 - "The Resurrection Gambit!"

MarvelUS-57.jpg

This one suffers a bit from the Delbo wonkiness, such as Megs being off-kilter and having part of his leg disappearing. That said, I do kinda like the action of it. The problem? That action is also misleading, as (much like #34 above it) Megatron doesn't actually do any blasting in this issue (apart from a generic Autobot in a flashback). This might well be me overrating the 'misleading' factor, though.

#86: The Transformers #48 - "The Flames of Boltax!"
José Delbo, Dave Hunt

MarvelUS-48.jpg

In many ways, the companion piece to the one above. I really do like the way this one is composited, with a pretty intimidating Megatron (in full color), surrounded by underlings and standing victorious over Prime (mono-shaded to let Megs stand out), all against an ominous red sky. Even the Delbo pupils and Megatron's little Grinch smirk don't ruin it.

But what does ruin it for me is that its one of, if not the most misleading covers - Megatron hasn't returned at all, the whole thing is just a holographic flashback. I wonder how many readers, bamboozled by this cover, bought #57 with some trepidation at being potentially misled again.

Magnusblitz

Citizen
#85: The Transformers #59 - "Skin Deep"

MarvelUS-59.jpg

This one rounds out the (imaginary) trio of Delbo-drawn potentially misleading Megatron covers. Still a bit wonky, but I think Delbo drew a decently cool Grimlock here. I also like the way Megatron is storming in like Hey, what in tarnation is going on in here?! The background gets more confusing the longer I look at it, but the coloring is good, especially the nice reds at the top contrasting with the dark grey-ish blues below.

As for the blurb, it's argubly misleading (as Ratchet turns out to not actually be dead), but I think it's also a tongue-in-cheek jab at an old 60s trope so it inherently comes with a grain of salt.

#84: The Transformers #43 - "The Big Broadcast of 2006"
Herb Trimpe

MarvelUS-43.jpg

Trimpe did a lot of the covers early on in the series, with this being his only one after issue #30. Like Delbo, his covers were often takes on scenes lifted directly from the interior art, though this one is especially on-the-nose, being a clear re-draw of the top panel on page 18. This one is ranked low simply based off the quality of the pencils, which IMO are rather rough. Rodimus looks like he has a Princess Leia hairdo, Galvatron's legs don't look like they attach, Galvatron's missing his arm cannon and both characters are missing their back kibble.

#83: The Transformers #9 - "DIS-Integrated Circuits!"
Mike Manley

MarvelUS-09.jpg

Manley's only work on Transformers was penciling this issue, both cover and interiors. While his interiors are probably mostly remembered for two things - the full-page panel of Circuit Breaker, and the mid-transformation Wheeljack meme panel - his pencils are actually quite good for the most part, and I wish he had gotten to work on Transformers more.

But, this is a ranking of the covers, and the cover is not the greatest. I do like the overall setup of the cover (with Starscream looming ominously behind CB, hand outstretched like a Pat Lee creation), but Starscream himself is oddly drawn, with an especially weird helmet and chest design, as well as floating with his feet obscured by clouds (?) Just kinda awkward.

#82: The Transformers #54 - "King Con!"

MarvelUS-54.jpg

I originally had this one in the bottom 10, as I just don't think the obvious King Kong reference (with Iganus of all robots) would attract many readers. The Delboriffic Micromasters don't help, and the giant red arrow taking up the bottom fourth of the cover to point them out is certainly a choice. Buuut the homage does work, and Iguanus is decently drawn, so this one gets bumped up a bit. Though I bet if this was crowd-sourced it'd probably be a lot lower than some in the last batch.

#81: The Transformers #19 - "Command Performances!"
Herb Trimpe

MarvelUS-19.jpg

Like the Dinobots cover in #8 above, I think this is another one where a lot of people would probably say they love this cover - it's Omega Supreme kicking ass, what's not to love? While I do love the way Starscream is getting mangled, the rest of it is shoddily drawn, especially Omega's lower half, as well as the scale issues (Frenzy comes up to Omega's hips?) Just feels like this one should've been oh-so-cooler.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
#84: The Transformers #43 - "The Big Broadcast of 2006"
Herb Trimpe

MarvelUS-43.jpg

Trimpe did a lot of the covers early on in the series, with this being his only one after issue #30. Like Delbo, his covers were often takes on scenes lifted directly from the interior art, though this one is especially on-the-nose, being a clear re-draw of the top panel on page 18. This one is ranked low simply based off the quality of the pencils, which IMO are rather rough. Rodimus looks like he has a Princess Leia hairdo, Galvatron's legs don't look like they attach, Galvatron's missing his arm cannon and both characters are missing their back kibble.
This one drove me nuts as a kid.

We finally get Rodimus Prime and Galvatron in an issue, and for the cover, we get... this?!

Top Bottom