Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

[OOC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

play by post STOMP

20759 replies to this topic

#41 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'm loving it. The abilities are just wonderful - exactly what I was hoping for. And I still have a few points left there, right?

I'm looking over the combat talents list now, and the set of effects makes sense. These can be renamed or restyled as long as the effects stay the same, right?

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#42 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yep, renaming is encouraged. One pony's horn laser is another's jump kick from the stratosphere.
Spoiler

#43 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Very cool. I'll get started on that. 

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#44 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:11 PM

Okay, so some* "utilities" change your combat abilities completely into a set related to the utility? And when do "reaction attacks" feature? (I'm kinda considering a reflavored "Granite Axe" and "Vengeance Is Mine.")

Edit: I'm going to need some dice. (!)

Edit the second: Um, if it isn't obvious, this is like the second RP campaign I've ever been more than tangentially involved with, so I'm sorry if my questions are silly. And * means yeah, that's an edit, too, because I wasn't paying attention. Just because my character is a systematizer doesn't mean I'm good with that. *Sweatrdrop*

Edited by Copper Bezel, 22 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#45 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:33 PM

Oh, I get it - "redirect focus" is for recharging energy by spending a turn, and it's necessary to have a balance of + and - talents. I missed that bit. So that keeps powerful, expensive attacks to a minimum of uses. Suddenly I understand why Voltron has to hack away with those dopey little gimmick attacks for ten minutes before using the blazing sword. Neat. 

Looking more closely, I'm still getting distracted by the flavorings. Your original set of abilities makes much more sense.

#46 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Edits are only an issue if I've already posted since I might not scroll up to the previous post. But yes, some utilities essentially give you a whole new set of attacks. Thankfully, Granite Axe finally got a buff to be less suicidal than it used to be.

There's online die roller utilities. I usually use Invisible Castle.

I prefer newcomers to RPGs since they have fewer bad habits and preconceived notions.

I'll type up a separate post for talent order and such since I may need to give examples.
Spoiler

#47 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Okay, cool. Thanks!

Edit: Tentatively, some reflavorings for the combat talents. Arcing Bolt, Gather Energy, and Redirect Focus are cool. The other skills really do look like a balanced set for direct damage fighting. Like I said, the hammer thing had distracted me since it was potentially a bludgeoning attack, but if I can turn a beam attack into a bludgeoning attack anyway....

Lightning Bolt --> Toolcase Bop (It's a sturdy toolcase.)

Fireswath --> Extreme Reorganizing (Telekinetically flings random objects from around the room.)

Electrocution --> Arc Lamp (Cosmetic name change, just keeping to character theme.)

Hyperbeam --> Resonant Wave (Pokémon? Really?)

Inferno --> Plasma Globe (Just making it not fire.)

Buccaneer Blaze --> Collections Sale (Object flinging again. The description in the Combat Talents document is different than yours, though, and more random - is this part of your house rules?)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 22 April 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#48 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

For the Skype version of the combat rules, there's 5 types of actions: Standard, Minor, Free, Interrupt, and Reaction. When it's your turn, you have two actions, a Standard and a Minor, that you can take in any order. Standard Actions are the most common thing in the system. Damage, healing, status effects and more. Standards can be downgraded to Minors or Free Actions. When dazed, you can only use Standards unless you downgrade. Minor actions are much more rare and are much weaker or have drawbacks. You may go a turn without using a Minor and might not have them in your build at all. Instead of combat, Minor actions can be used to do some out of combat actions at GM discretion such as various skill checks or using an ability to try to avoid combat. Free actions can be done whenever you want but require that you pay the cost which is usually very costly or can only be done so many times a battle due to being part of an item. Interrupts and Reactions activate off of their listed triggers with the difference being their "speed". Interrupts happen before a trigger, sometimes stopping things like enemy damage. Reactions happen after. Neither Interrupts nor Reactions can be used while dazed.

With us today for the demonstration is Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and the three diamond dogs (Rex, Spot, Fido) controlled by the GM as enemies.

Dash uses a standard action for a taunt-like move on Rex, then does a minor attack for 1 damage. The GM has Rex respond with a Standard attack for 4 damage.
Fluttershy give Dash a hug, since that's what she's reflavored her Standard heal as. Dash is healed for 3 damage.
Well, Spot and Fido are jerks, so they decide to attack Fluttershy.

Fluttershy: O_O

But wait! Dash has both an Interrupt and a Reaction at her disposal. Spot has 1 HP and Fido has 20 HP. An Interrupt attack would be calculated before the attacks land, which would knock Spot out before his attack hits Fluttershy. A Reaction would knock Spot out but Fluttershy would still get hit.
Back to Dash's turn, she has a Free action available that allows her to spend 25 HP to gain 15 energy. It's all sorts of broken but hadn't been nerfed yet so she's using it. Since she still has a Standard, she unleashes a big attack on the remaining diamond dogs to knock them out.

Buccaneer Blaze --> Collections Sale (Object flinging again. The description in the Combat Talents document is different than yours, though, and more random - is this part of your house rules?)

Yes and no. There was a big combat revamp in the works that never arrived since the developers decided to revamp the whole system. The forum poster who volunteered to revamp the specials got permission to release them as their own optional supplement. They've actually picked up a fair bit of popularity since they're more balanced and there's some brand new concepts added. In all my campaigns I allow them and generally prefer these be used unless someone wants to use Assassin's Gambit.
Spoiler

#49 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

Okay, that makes sense (although the randomness was appealing.) The play order makes sense, too - kinda tempted to swap something out for an interrupt skill, now.

Stupid ... Pony creator ... being so ... fun. Normal people are sleeping, I'm twiddling dials....

Amber%20Shimmer.png

Amber Shimmer always preferred her building toys to her dressage lessons, and she had disassembled every appliance in the house and reassembled most of them before her cutesinera. A chance meeting with a majestic crystal orrery from the Reneighssance period on a visit to the C&L Museum with her parents crystallized her passion. She became a dedicated student, eventually graduating from the Barb Center for Cursorial Studies with a degree in Antiquities and Restoration. At the Keep, she worked with the research team led by Solar Prince that unlocked the enigma of the ancient Canterkythera Mechanism and worked to identify, study, and reproduce or restore dozens of pivotal magical and mechanical artifacts.

However, many of the most priceless artifacts she longs to study have been damaged or lost in recovery or have "had to be" destroyed "for the good of Equestria." No longer content to leave the hunting to the adventurers, she wants to take matters into her own hooves.

Making friends with adventuring types might be a challenge, but Amber is resolved to the task. Somewhat literal-minded and direct, easily excited, she can be at times off-putting or even seem a bit airheaded, but she genuinely wants everyone to go home happy, and she's willing to make sacrifices to make that happen. She's also heard many exciting things about "roughing it" and is looking forward to experiencing it first-hand. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 23 April 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#50 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

Okay, that makes sense (although the randomness was appealing.)

Had fun with it but am glad it was actually useful.

kinda tempted to swap something out for an interrupt skill, now.

While I won't stop you, I will note that these will still have costs so it may slow you down if you burn all your energy on interrupts. Yet to note on top of that, one of my house rules is a passive +1 energy per round.

Stupid ... Pony creator ... being so ... fun. Normal people are sleeping, I'm twiddling dials....

With that horn aura, I'm assuming you have additional art skills.

-bio-

Ah, going the employee route I see. That has it's own quirks that need to be worked out but that's for PMs.
Spoiler

#51 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

While I won't stop you, I will note that these will still have costs so it may slow you down if you burn all your energy on interrupts. Yet to note on top of that, one of my house rules is a passive +1 energy per round.

Fair enough. I'll trust your expertise. = )

With that horn aura, I'm assuming you have additional art skills.

Limited ones. Originally, I was just trying out the general appearance in the Pony creator, and was going to try to draw the character art myself, but I was fairly content with how this looked. I'll probably still do one eventually.

Ah, going the employee route I see. That has it's own quirks that need to be worked out but that's for PMs.

Fair enough. And yeah, I thought that since this is this character's first campaign, she might as well be one of the existing staff.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 23 April 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#52 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

Fair enough. I'll trust your expertise. = )

Well, it's still your character and the request isn't suicidal. You have a lot of high cost attacks so dropping one in favor of something else is fine if you want.
Spoiler

#53 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

Okay, I think I'll drop Hyperbeam for Guardian's Shield, then. Hyperbeam is pretty badass, but it's not that much different from doing Arc Lamp (Electrocution) succeeded by Toolcase Bop (Lightning Bolt) on the next turn. Guardian's Shield, on the other hand, could really save my flank in the right situation (I don't think it needs renaming - I'm picturing it as a tiny barrier spell.)

#54 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Giving you a heads up, that will be quite useful but there are things that utterly bypass it.

(Pokémon? Really?)

So...this. While I've given a fair bit of constructive criticism about this system, this is not "mine" so to speak. Last summer was a big brainstorming push from the designers where they let people suggest things. There was some back and forth and things that didn't make it in but there was some that did such as that. That's why you might see my name on some things. Some people are more loose in name choices than others and that's farther amplified by there being a pony themed half and a super generic fantasy half, plus some people's thought processes.
Spoiler

#55 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

Giving you a heads up, that will be quite useful but there are things that utterly bypass it.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

(Pokémon? Really?)

So...this. While I've given a fair bit of constructive criticism about this system, this is not "mine" so to speak. Last summer was a big brainstorming push from the designers where they let people suggest things. There was some back and forth and things that didn't make it in but there was some that did such as that. That's why you might see my name on some things. Some people are more loose in name choices than others and that's farther amplified by there being a pony themed half and a super generic fantasy half, plus some people's thought processes.

Yeah, I get that. I saw that it was a collaborative effort and noticed the abilities and talents with your name attached. But yeah, that one stood out to me among the Pony puns and genericized D&D skill names. It really just struck me as funny more than anything, but I did feel a slight twinge of annoyance at whatever contributor offered that one. = )

#56 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

The user suggested it for the effect, though they wanted a version with more ways to mitigate the turn skip by having it be a self stun instead. Considering their tastes, I'm surprised they chose something Pokémon inspired. I take bigger issue with some of the things in the system that use profanity, despite some of the supposedly "clever" uses. Most of those are in items and boons but no need for me to get ranty about it. There are things I like and things that utterly frustrate me about the system.
Spoiler

#57 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice the profanity, but that really is unnecessary. I mean, I know there's a lot of variation in terms of how "pure" and in-tone bronies want their MLP experience to be, but they could at least try to be coy about it ("buck the horde" and suchlike.)

#58 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

If you ask my prior players, I'm more than willing to be mildly terrifying while keeping the tone clean. Granted, that's keeping in line with G1 but it's possible.

There's really not much profanity but I feel that's something an individual campaign setting should choose instead of it being in any of the official documents at all. However, I think it simply didn't cross anyone's mind. I feel I'm more of an abnormality in that regard. That said, I don't think most fandom word choices are that coy or clever. Fluttershy's word choice in her rant from Putting Your Hoof Down? That was clever. Incredibly emotionally charged and felt like it fit the setting. Not, "hurr look I changed one letter of this word". Though I'm actually pretty lenient as long as a player doesn't overdo it.
Spoiler

#59 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Hey, I never said they were actually clever. = ) And yeah, I see what you mean about the difference between a particular campaign's attitude vs. the official rules.

Goddamn, that moment in "Putting Your Hoof Down" is a freaking slap in the face every time I see it. So very nicely done.

#60 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40805 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Working on a profile. Here's what I've got so far.

Night Cap
Allegiance: Equestria
Function: Dreamwalker
First Appearance: Birthday Sketches

"Wise ponies have interpreted dreams, and the gods have laughed."

Profile: Night Cap looks like a pony who hasn't slept in weeks. His body may sleep, but his mind gets no rest, for the moment he falls asleep his mind instantly plunges into nightmare worlds filled with terrors from beyond ordered space. Night Cap spends his nights slaying monsters and exploring unknown vistas, saving kingdoms and discovering powerful relics. These dreams leave him feeling accomplished, but empty, for he lives his waking life with nothing to show for his efforts. Night Cap spends much of his time in libraries and museums in search of clues about the recurring locations and characters in his dreams, hoping to one day prove that anything he's done mattered.
Abilities: Night Cap has ample questing experience. His nightly adventures may or may not be real, but the experience he gains certainly is. He remains calm in the face of danger, acting quickly with a well-practiced plan.
Weaknesses: Night Cap’s plans usually consist of charging into danger and making a mess. Night Cap has trouble distinguishing between waking life and dreams when in dangerous situations, and often forgets what he isn’t capable of. When this happens he resorts to running around until luck comes through and the situation works itself out. Night Cap is too proud to admit this failing to others, and will maintain well past the point of credibility that everything is going according to plan. Night Cap enjoys travelling with others, but doesn’t always work well with them. He can’t help but feel he’s privy to some great secret and has developed a touch of a superiority complex.

B5ofTKU.jpg

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users