Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

@  TheMightyMol... : (31 July 2020 - 05:13 PM)

KHAAAAAAAN

@  PlutoniumBoss : (31 July 2020 - 03:04 PM)

Bueller? Bueller?

@  Jet : (31 July 2020 - 11:31 AM)

DONKEY!

@  Maximus Ambus : (31 July 2020 - 06:55 AM)

Spanner

@  Xaaron : (31 July 2020 - 06:49 AM)

Jetstorm

@  Nevermore : (31 July 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Tankor

@  SG Roadbuster : (31 July 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Overrun

@  lastmaximal : (31 July 2020 - 01:33 AM)

Buckethead

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 July 2020 - 07:15 PM)

Now I wonder how many Transformers we can name with the fewest possible different names.

@  Nevermore : (30 July 2020 - 06:38 PM)

Ransack. That's like another 20 or so.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

[OOC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

play by post STOMP

20759 replies to this topic

#21 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:20 AM

That sounds sorta like a reflavored berserker build. That gives me a decent start though final name/flavor choices will be up to you.
Spoiler

#22 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Made an attempt at his combat build but it still needs to be reflavored. When you get a chance, I'll need a short paragraph for his character bio. Or a long paragraph if you prefer. Also, I'll eventually be asking more directed questions about Night Cap. Though I get the feeling he'll be one of the ponies recruited from within the museum employees.
Spoiler

#23 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40805 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

More questions would be good. That'll force me to figure out what the answers are.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#24 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

One question all players will need to decide is if their character is part of museum staff that's getting promoted to save the world duty or if they're an outside hire for various accomplishments.

Also, let me know if you have any build questions since I'll be glad to help and there will be alternate rules for this campaign.
Spoiler

#25 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:22 PM

I haven't started building yet, but the character I want to play is mechanically inclined, and she shouldn't be famous. I imagine we could work her in that she'd work with setting up displays or something? Or are there gadgets on display at the museum, that she might study? I'm wanting her to be a reasonably educated unicorn.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#26 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:32 PM

Any names in mind for her? And worldbuilding for museum exhibits is mostly encouraged. Your choice of if she set things up or if she studies them since it's two different valid concepts.
Spoiler

#27 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

I'll take the study route, then. 

It's a somewhat indirect connection, but I've been stuck on the name Amber Shimmer for a bit. Obviously for the pun, but also because it evokes old CRTs, which of course don't exist, but still.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#28 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*Vader breathing*

• Administrator
  • 40805 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

Night Cap's got to be an outside hire. I intend to never specify what he does as a day job. Other characters can go ahead and ask him, but he will give a witty non-answer.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#29 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

That may lead to another issue though it might be an interesting one to work around. Basically, at a point closer to campaign start, there will be an in-universe interview of sorts for why each member thinks they'd be good for the team.
Spoiler

#30 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

Ooh, fun. = D

Do you know who's in and what character types to expect? I want Amber to basically be on the Pie Spectrum - takes things way too literally, talks to inanimate objects - but youngish or oldish, meek, energetic, or abrasive, I'll take anything that helps the cast balance. Not everyone can be the straight mare.

Edit: I guess that's an odd question at this stage. Night Cap is the only other character we know for sure, huh?

Edited by Copper Bezel, 21 April 2014 - 11:44 PM.

#31 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:21 AM

Started building Amber Shimmer.

So far, Amber Shimmer and Night Cap are the only two outright confirmed characters. Though if you want to help with cast balance, you're the one stuck with Honesty.
Spoiler

#32 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:22 AM

Oh, wow, thanks!

And yeah, Honesty I can do. That actually works best for how I'm thinking of her.

Edit: Oh, wow, "Found It" is perfect - you're a mind reader. Can "mechanical fault" be a class of things? = D

Edited by Copper Bezel, 22 April 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#33 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Most of the questions you see here that I asked for Night Cap would apply to any character.
Spoiler

#34 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:41 AM

Can "mechanical fault" be a class of things? = D

Elaborate on that a bit.

Also, I don't always catch edits if I'm not refreshing within the thread.
Spoiler

#35 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:47 AM

Sorry - I guess I didn't think it was immediately important. I meant, for the "Found It!" skill, it would be neat if she could sort of ... diagnose things. Or is there another skill that would work better for that? Depending on how Indiana Jones things actually get, that could be a completely useless or an absurdly overpowered skill (if applied, say, to traps.) But mostly I'm thinking that she's looking at some mechanical widget and could use her magic to see where the gears are sticking. It just seems in keeping with her character, although as I said it's a skill of dubious role play importance.

#36 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:48 AM

Okay, I've been working my way through them, and then got to the last threeish and realized that for the bio, I probably need more location puns than I'm awake enough to assemble. I'll get there tomorrow. = / 

Any particular broad strokes on what he'd be capable of?

So far, the build attributes you set look exactly right. She's not particularly athletic, and she's used to working in a controlled environment, but she doesn't mind (or rather notice) getting dirty if it puts her closer to a discovery or a fix. She has reasonable social skills and isn't particularly selfish, but she has somewhat a one-track mind and can get absorbed into things that interest her to the point of forgetting about other ponies and her surroundings. She knows Equestrian history intimately, but only through the lens of technology, so she can detail the proper flaking and use of a Paleopony period hand axe but has never heard of Princess Platinum. 

She attempts to resolve conflicts by carefully pointing out motivations that she often misunderstands and can sometimes be patronizing, but also insightful. She can be resourceful, whether it's making use of the (physical) tools the situation provides or resolving a dispute, but sometimes she has to be "reminded" of that - effectively, she has "forgot I could fly" moments. 

BTW, is Night Cap an earth pony by virtue of "kinda a druid", having a bit of super strength, or "the one that can't fly or magic"?

She's pretty damn unicorn. A little pretentious. She's educated, she's never set foot in a rube town like Ponyville, and she occasionally forgets that not everyone comes equipped with telekinesis and a light source. She is well-mannered and expects others to be, as well, but tends to react with confusion more than scorn when they're not (social protocol error - abort / retry / fail?) She has been accused on occasion of whining. 

That said, what is he good at?

She's good at understanding, restoring, or fabricating machines. Not, like, Gilligan's Island style, just within the realm of plausibility. If she can have a skill to manipulate widgets the way Rarity sometimes manipulates fabric telekinetically (poof, it's a part,) I'll take it, but if that's off the table, it's all good. Obviously, she's good at catching fine details, good with her hooves, could easily be the person to sketch the map, etc.

Who is he? There's a lot to be gained from personality.

I'd think of her as introverted, for the most part, happy to be alone with her work. She's single, no children, but not overly private or likely to shut people out - more likely to give uncomfortably honest answers to simple questions. She's sometimes quick to jump to judgements and actions. She's able to work very patiently when the situation requires, but not so good at sitting still when it doesn't. 

She's socially aware for the most part with a couple of exceptions: she often takes things too literally, both in the sense of surface misunderstandings and in the sense of oversimplifying other ponies' motivations and intentions, and she's bad at intuiting when other people aren't interested in what she's talking about, including during crisis situations. 

She's not incapable of small talk or reading a room - except when distracted by something she's interested in. At a party, she'd be likely to latch onto someone at random and walk away with his or her life story, out of genuine interest, unless someone said something that related to historical pony technology. She'd be less likely to mingle and find out how everypony in the room's kids and lawns are doing.

What role would he try to fulfill in battle? Any number of concepts are possible, ranging from direct damage, to beserker, tanking, healing, crowd control, or any number of things.

This one I'm really struggling with. She's not physically strong or agile, but she's also very direct. I actually think she'd mostly want to hit people with hammers, telekinetically....

Edited by Copper Bezel, 22 April 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#37 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

BTW, while the campaign will deliberately take place away from mainline events in G4, you may or may not see some familiar faces from across the franchise as NPCs.

Sorry - I guess I didn't think it was immediately important. I meant, for the "Found It!" skill, it would be neat if she could sort of ... diagnose things. Or is there another skill that would work better for that? Depending on how Indiana Jones things actually get, that could be a completely useless or an absurdly overpowered skill (if applied, say, to traps.) But mostly I'm thinking that she's looking at some mechanical widget and could use her magic to see where the gears are sticking. It just seems in keeping with her character, although as I said it's a skill of dubious role play importance.

Found It! is purely for searching. It's a metal detector or Rarity's gem finding spell.
Freaky Knowledge is the wide ranging stat buff ability for knowledge and application of a trade. A character is better at apples/sewing/etc than someone with similar base stats without that specialization.
Individual skills would be used for die rolls/skill checks based on what you're doing, such as Dexterity for manipulating things.

Okay, I've been working my way through them, and then got to the last threeish and realized that for the bio, I probably need more location puns than I'm awake enough to assemble. I'll get there tomorrow. = /

People here may be able to help with that. The campaign city is based off of Charleston, SC due to my desire for Equestria to have a city based off a southern city.

She's pretty damn unicorn.

See, this here is interesting. I presented the question for earth ponies since there seems to be three facets for how G4 portrays them. The broad strokes for the other pony races don't seem to have much variance. Yet, I allow earlier gen stuff which greatly skews how one would build a unicorn and slightly shifts pegasi.

This one I'm really struggling with. She's not physically strong or agile, but she's also very direct. I actually think she'd mostly want to hit people with hammers, telekinetically....

Vague conceptual stuff is the best way to go about it. The names of combat moves can be easily reflavored to more character specific concepts. More of looking at the overarching concepts though that might take some thought.
Spoiler

#38 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

Vague conceptual stuff is the best way to go about it. The names of combat moves can be easily reflavored to more character specific concepts. More of looking at the overarching concepts though that might take some thought.

So, should I be looking over the skills and pitching possibilities, or do you want me to throw out more vague concepts and see what you can work out of it? Ideally, I'd want her to fight, well, like a Unicorn - standing still and pitching things - but in a very "direct" manner. That makes her sound like a tank with low HP, which probably means she's going to get knocked out a lot. I don't see her as a healer, and that's a separate, specific skill, right?

How specific should categories be for the "Found It!" spell? Like, could she detect switches, or magitech (which I only assume is canon because of Tank's copter harness?)

#39 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18315 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:31 PM

I guess I mean in more overarching RPG classes. Like, healer/tank/direct damage/etc. Your descriptions make her sound direct damage based and in very simple concepts. It's not a bunch of status effects but just damage. Unicorn tosses stuff with telekinesis plus horn lasers. I have a decent idea now. I have a set of templates I had made that I abandoned but wound up being of use for building Night Cap and should be of use here.

How specific should categories be for the "Found It!" spell? Like, could she detect switches, or magitech (which I only assume is canon because of Tank's copter harness?)

Considering Flim & Flam, the setting most certainly has magitech. Updating right now but let me know what you think of the build so far.
Spoiler

#40 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 51643 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

Gotta go teach a thing, but I'll do so as soon as I can.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users