Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2018 - 02:47 AM)

Woah.

@  MEDdMI : (20 November 2018 - 11:01 PM)

*the spin top spins, cutting away to black before we can see if it falls over or not*

@  Paladin : (20 November 2018 - 10:21 PM)

"none of this is actually happening. There is a man at a typewriter & this is all his twisted imagination."

@  Benbot : (20 November 2018 - 06:54 PM)

We're not actually back, this is all a dream.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 November 2018 - 06:12 PM)

It was, we're just humoring you.

@  Arazyr : (20 November 2018 - 02:17 PM)

I was wondering if that was just me...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 November 2018 - 02:01 PM)

And we are back after that round of Forum downtime.

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2018 - 06:30 AM)

Feels like it's been so long since there's been a proper storm that I've been awake for. This one even has pink lightning, which always great.

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2018 - 06:22 AM)

So long as he has an R by his name. Even if the R is for "Recepticons"

@  Nevermore : (20 November 2018 - 06:18 AM)

Sadly, my first reaction was "And I'm sure way too many people would seriously, unironically really vote for the blatant bad guy and still cheer at him while he's slaughtering the masses because they saw him on TV and he's cool."

@  Nevermore : (20 November 2018 - 06:17 AM)

Someone over at TFW2005 just discovered an old photo of political campaign signs, with one saying "Vote Megatron! Global Domination."

@  Paladin : (19 November 2018 - 07:02 AM)

let's be real. at this rate we're not lasting until 2075.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 November 2018 - 06:34 AM)

The rest of the world may build a wall around the US in 2075.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:53 AM)

Tell an conservative conspiracy maniac that women are literally the Satan's spawn out to infect humanity with the gender virus that will turn everyone into communist Muslims who eat children, and they will be like, "Well of course! That makes perfect sense!"

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:49 AM)

It's evidence of Poe's Law.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:48 AM)

The world is insane.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2018 - 05:48 AM)

Geeez, I just read a story about a liberal satire Facebook page that would publish absolutely outlandish, ridiculous made-up conservative propaganda, stuff so absurd nobody with half a brain could take it seriously... and conservatives are taking it at face value.

@  Pennpenn : (19 November 2018 - 02:27 AM)

Oh don't make me go talk to Peter Dutton. My week has been painful enough as it is...

@  Telly : (18 November 2018 - 09:13 PM)

he cant leave quarantine until he talks to the king of the potato people

@  Pennpenn : (18 November 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Debateable. It's a sunday anyway. Wonder if I'll still feel up and ready to go tomorrow. Don't want to take too many days off leading up to the end of the year.

@  MEDdMI : (18 November 2018 - 12:01 AM)

@Pennpenn hooray! Now you can leave quarantine.

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2018 - 08:58 PM)

The national tour is currently in Raleigh-Durham.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2018 - 06:29 PM)

Ok, feeling much better now.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 November 2018 - 06:20 PM)

Is hamilton playing in hamilton?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 November 2018 - 03:34 PM)

Maybe the show in the city?

@  wonko the sane? : (17 November 2018 - 01:21 PM)

To the show or the city?

@  The Doctor Who : (17 November 2018 - 11:01 AM)

Niiice!

@  RichardT1977 : (17 November 2018 - 10:48 AM)

My mom won two tickets to Hamilton!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 November 2018 - 09:46 AM)

Welp, good morning so far. My brother helped me get my sister in law's christmas gift, and reminded me I still had to get my mom's calendar for next year.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2018 - 08:22 AM)

Oh yeah, feeling feverish. What fun.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 November 2018 - 10:07 PM)

My father used to ask his boss that question. Then he STOPPED asking, and got used to twiddling his thumbs. Made things so much easier, and didn't actually change how his bosses thought of him.

@  Nevermore : (16 November 2018 - 07:31 PM)

So of course you wait until the end of your shift like everyone else, THEN you walk up to the manager on duty and ask him what you're supposed to do during the requested overtime.

@  Nevermore : (16 November 2018 - 07:30 PM)

Fun: The employer allows (paid) voluntary overtime, cannot backtrack on the permit, and before the regular end of your shift, you notice you're rapidly running out of work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 November 2018 - 06:27 PM)

Fear is a state of mind.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 November 2018 - 06:25 PM)

Did you just assume my sociopolitical status?

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2018 - 06:13 PM)

Oh stop being such a pack of drama monarchs!

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 November 2018 - 06:11 PM)

Too late. They can smell your fear.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 November 2018 - 04:10 PM)

Nobody say anything and you'll be safe from the mob.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 November 2018 - 03:41 PM)

It used to be

@  Arazyr : (16 November 2018 - 02:05 PM)

I would agree.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 November 2018 - 01:15 PM)

I say yes, but I imagine many would disagree with me.

@  Paladin : (16 November 2018 - 12:34 PM)

settle a bet: is "drama queen" a gender-neutral description?

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 November 2018 - 08:38 PM)

Sounds like management is the same everywhere :p

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2018 - 08:12 PM)

My bosses are too busy trying to see if they can have their heads up their own asses while still being able to kiss the asses of everyone above them. It'd be amusing to watch if I wasn't one of the ones trying to get everything done to cover for it.

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 07:05 PM)

He's living by the standard "bow to those below you; kick at those above you. You got more people below you than above you."

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 07:04 PM)

Whenever we go on strike, he's there with us. He told me that this is the only completely legal way for him to show his own bosses the finger,

@  Nevermore : (15 November 2018 - 07:03 PM)

Well, this guy has been getting flak from above, it's just that he doesn't care. He's doing what he thinks is right. He's easily the smartest of my superiors, and also the one with the biggest balls.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 November 2018 - 05:24 PM)

Must be nice, having a boss that cares.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 November 2018 - 01:03 PM)

Indeed.

@  Echowarrior : (15 November 2018 - 11:58 AM)

That's a good superior.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

[OOC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

play by post rpg STOMP

19991 replies to this topic

#1 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

So...what in the world is this?

Planning to start another forum RPG campaign and gauging interest. This will be a different setting and setup than the last. As opposed to an escalating mystery about an illness and a plotting enemy, this will be more akin to a team of Daring Do. The team involved will be explorers sent out to recover artifacts to protect them from evil. Allows a bit of adventure and worldbuilding, still has breathing room for character interaction, and has a clear cut end goal for each mission so story arcs are easier to plan and define. The catch to it is that the narration frames this as an old school radio serial, hence the name.

"In universe" promo:
Spoiler

We will be using the Pony Tales: Aspirations of Harmony system with some things pulled from Wanderlust. While this is the same system as the previous forum RPG, there's a fair number of changes that have happened since last year. Furthermore, I'll be using a few house rules to help better smooth out a few of the issues. I'll also be helping people with their builds. While I prefer sticking to equine characters, I am lenient with build styles representing earlier generations. There will be plenty of time to get things sorted out since May is the soonest I'd be starting the campaign.

Starring cast:
Spoiler

Personal GM Quirks and House Rules
Important notes and items (can be edited by players)
NPC cast

Keep map:
Spoiler

Story chapters:

OOC Chapters:

Edited by Zamuel, 22 July 2018 - 03:24 AM.

Spoiler

#2 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36204 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

You know, I did want to try Dungeons and Dragons back in its heyday. If this is anything like that, I don't see why I wouldn't give it a shot.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#3 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:12 PM

Any particular character concepts in mind? I'll need to link to the player guide but I didn't want to drop the full thing on people at once. Plus, I tend to ask a lot of character personality questions gearing up than only stats.
Spoiler

#4 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36204 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:22 PM

Night Cap.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#5 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:58 AM

Night Cap

Made a quick sheet for him. We can get the details worked out over time. I will note that the ability Fracture the Fourth Wall is banned.
Spoiler

#6 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:39 AM

I'd be interested.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#7 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36204 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Working out those details should be fun.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#8 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35781 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I'm kinda interested, but I feel the previous RP would have been a better fit for Shadewing.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#9 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Fair, in a condescending way

• Administrator
  • 47350 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

I am intrigued, and I have been messing with an OC. How active does a player need to be to keep up with the gameplay in one of these? Despite my recent constant presence at Allspark, there really are days I might not be able to log in more than once or twice.
Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#10 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

Those like Sailor Unicron who have gamed with me before, or really anyone, start tossing ideas my way. This campaign will be semi-canon to G4 but most of the show characters will be kept out of the campaign. Minor characters just might show up where appropriate. If Celestia and Luna show up, things have probably gotten pretty bad.

Working out those details should be fun.

Any particular broad strokes on what he'd be capable of? I will note that there is a possibility some stuff may not be possible. BTW, is Night Cap an earth pony by virtue of "kinda a druid", having a bit of super strength, or "the one that can't fly or magic"?

I'm kinda interested, but I feel the previous RP would have been a better fit for Shadewing.

You may want to try a brand new character. Some people bend the same character or stable of characters across multiple campaigns while some create new characters for each campaign.

I am intrigued, and I have been messing with an OC. How active does a player need to be to keep up with the gameplay in one of these? Despite my recent constant presence at Allspark, there really are days I might not be able to log in more than once or twice.

General preference for forum campaigns is posting roughly once a day and giving a heads up if you think you'll be away for an extended time.
Spoiler

#11 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36204 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Any particular broad strokes on what he'd be capable of? I will note that there is a possibility some stuff may not be possible. BTW, is Night Cap an earth pony by virtue of "kinda a druid", having a bit of super strength, or "the one that can't fly or magic"?

I'll save the powers for my comics. For the purpose of an rpg, he'd be solidly in "the one that can't fly or magic" territory.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#12 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Well, I figured that most of his powers were by virtue of being in a dream realm. That said, what is he good at? Who is he? There's a lot to be gained from personality. Plus, he may need to be slightly super boosted by virtue of needing to being able to work with an exploring team.
Spoiler

#13 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Fair, in a condescending way

• Administrator
  • 47350 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

General preference for forum campaigns is posting roughly once a day and giving a heads up if you think you'll be away for an extended time.

Cool, that won't be a problem, then. I guess I should start getting used to the system. *Goes to read the handbook.*

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#14 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'd be interested.

Out of curiosity, will you be playing a converted version of Daisy Belle or a brand new character?
Spoiler

#15 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Hmm, I'd have to think about that.  I'm not entirely sure, to be honest.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#16 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36204 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

That said, what is he good at?

He's partly based on me, so it's hard to give an answer other than "Ha ha ha ha ha ha".

I guess he's good at working while tired.

Who is he? There's a lot to be gained from personality.

He's a deceptively happy guy. Despite outwardly appearing to be a screwup with no skills or accomplishments, he's got high self esteem. Even though people have no idea what he does, and in fact he can't even prove to himself that what he does matters, he believes it does matter. If anything, the fact that people don't know what he does just gives him a bit of a superiority complex. They just don't know.

Plus, he may need to be slightly super boosted by virtue of needing to being able to work with an exploring team.

The lack of abilities might make for an interesting dynamic with the team. You've seen a glimpse of what his dreams are like. You have an idea what he deals with. And he's a pro at it. When he's awake he has to remember what he can't do. He might forget sometimes.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#17 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:06 PM

In some ways, Night Cap is shaping up to be the normaliest Normal who ever normed but he's got quirks. Mostly finished the non-combat half of things but it can still be fleshed out a fair bit.

What role would he try to fulfill in battle? Any number of concepts are possible, ranging from direct damage, to beserker, tanking, healing, crowd control, or any number of things.

To reclarify something from earlier, the princesses may make friendly visits to the "perfectly normal" museum staff. It's if they show up with the unhappy face that you should be utterly terrified somewhat concerned.
Spoiler

#18 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 22001 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

This is certainly interesting, but I'd probably have to make a new character for it, and it sounds like a step away from last RPG, which was more character/story focused than game focused, so I dunno.

Then again, game focused might be a good bit easier than the last RPG.

(Maybe I am just too attached to the last RPG for my own good. I still have Bone Brush's character sheet up on my bookmarks bar. =T)

Edited by Cabooceratops, 19 April 2014 - 03:28 AM.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#19 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17133 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

I was actually contemplating requesting permission to use Bone Brush as an NPC.

While this would have a fair bit more overt "stuff blows up" factor by design, character interaction would still be valued and promoted.
Spoiler

#20 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36204 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:49 PM

In some ways, Night Cap is shaping up to be the normaliest Normal who ever normed but he's got quirks. Mostly finished the non-combat half of things but it can still be fleshed out a fair bit.

What role would he try to fulfill in battle? Any number of concepts are possible, ranging from direct damage, to beserker, tanking, healing, crowd control, or any number of things.

That's kinda the direction I decided to go. The funny thing is that the character he's based on from my unfinished novel is in absolutely no way a normal, but I've stripped away stuff that doesn't fit the setting or makes him overpowered, which turned out to be most of what's interesting. But I like that. It's forcing me to keep things subtle.

Tricky. In the dreamlands with all his abilities and equipment at his disposal, his default plan is "There is no plan", in a heroic kind of way. He's a Leeroy Jenkins that makes it work. Outside the dreamlands where he's a total normal... he'd probably forget that he can't do that, and I'm not sure how well that would work out. Not knowing what can't be done works best when one can actually do things. I guess he can be the guy that runs in, chaotically blunders his way to victory, and says "I meant to do that" while trying not to look surprised.

Edited by Fnu Aw, 19 April 2014 - 10:49 PM.

B5ofTKU.jpg

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users