Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo

Effing gender, how does it work?

gender sex performance mens purses identity

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
180 replies to this topic

#41 Monique

Monique

Chaotic Neutral

• Retired Staff
  • 8703 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Is it really a "thing" for people to claim a completely new gender classification for themselves, ie agender, bigender?

It seems to me that if you like or don't mind your physical biological sex, then your emotional / psychiatric gender matches it; if you feel it doesn't match, then you're the other one (hence the very concept of transgender). I don't get how a person could feel like "none of the above," especially if they have no biological or emotional experience with one of them. If someone has two X chromosomes and female anatomy, I could understand them not feeling like a woman and the truth of them being trans. But how could they say they didn't feel like a man either, if they don't know what being a man feels like?

This is one of those times I want to say a lot about something, but then I don't because I'm worried about jive starting up.

I will agree it gets very silly very fast in some circles and I've seen some really just.. just really 'wow' classifications that make me just think "this is actually really insulting to transgender people at this point." There are those who argue that your scum if you don't validate everyone's gender classifications (truscum i think it is? Maybe that's different) and its like.. I don't want to try and be some sort of 'gender police" but at the point I see someone picking their personal pronouns based upon the decision they sound like variations on the word 'fae' and are claiming they are some sort of weird fractional sets of genders.. I'm can't help but start mentally questioning things.

Edited by Murry, 01 March 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#42 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

*angry horse noises*

• Administrator
  • 42352 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

I must confess, I did have times growing up when I was confused. My mother occasionally said she wished she'd had a girl, and I had a few teachers say some very stupid, very dangerous things. But I got over it, somehow.

It's hard to explain why I like being male, or how I learned to like it. At some point I looked in the mirror and realized that I like what I see. Every time I've imagined myself as a female I've come to the same conclusion, that I just can't see me referring to myself as "she". The thought of it gives me a strange feeling that must be what the internet calls "do not want".

It's not that I find the idea of being female revolting on some objective basis. I just do not think I would be a good one. Had I been born one, it's likely that I would be okay with it, because it would be what's familiar. Or maybe not. It happens. But assuming I were born female and learned to like it as I've learned to like being male, I believe that the experience necessary to make that work would result in a different person. It would require a perspective that I don't have, and I can't stand the thought of losing the perspective I do have. I really like who I am. I would not trade my life experience for another.

Edited by Fnu Aw, 01 March 2014 - 07:58 PM.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#43 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 49678 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

I lucked out.

I married my female copy.

No seriously. Outside genetics and gender, we're basically the same person to the point we finish each others sentences.

#44 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

I wonder if, not only gender, but the entire sense of body/mind congruence isn't more likely to be an issue when you have a group of people who interact primarily through online avenues. The whole psychological concept of "detachment" is what I'm thinking of.

Yeah, I think this is a fair point. I know that one aspect of the online environment a lot of people appreciate is being able to leave their bodies behind, and it's certainly easier to perform one's natural gender without various interferences.

It's hard to explain why I like being male, or how I learned to like it. At some point I looked in the mirror and realized that I like what I see. Every time I've imagined myself as a female I've come to the same conclusion, that I just can't see me referring to myself as "she". The thought of it gives me a strange feeling that must be what the internet calls "do not want".

Huh. Interesting.

It's not that I find the idea of being female revolting on some objective basis. I just do not think I would be a good one. Had I been born one, it's likely that I would be okay with it, because it would be what's familiar. Or maybe not. It happens. But assuming I were born female and learned to like it as I've learned to like being male, I believe that the experience necessary to make that work would result in a different person. It would require a perspective that I don't have, and I can't stand the thought of losing the perspective I do have. I really like who I am. I would not trade my life experience for another.

I've thought about it from that perspective before, yeah. It would be impossible to experience the world as a ______ and retain the perspective you developed as a not-______, so it resolves to a meaningless question.

And Murry, it's okay, we can derail the topic to argue with Thylacine if you want. = P

In fact, without further ado:

Is it really a "thing" for people to claim a completely new gender classification for themselves, ie agender, bigender?

I've never encountered such a person, but I was aware that it was a thing, given the existence of gender-neutral pronouns. Like Murry is hinting, it's such a political mess where everyone is expected to present his or her own take as universal fact as well as identity defense that I've never really felt any need to explore it. The butchering of language alone is enough to turn me off it.

However...

It seems to me that if you like or don't mind your physical biological sex, then your emotional / psychiatric gender matches it; if you feel it doesn't match, then you're the other one (hence the very concept of transgender). I don't get how a person could feel like "none of the above," especially if they have no biological or emotional experience with one of them. If someone has two X chromosomes and female anatomy, I could understand them not feeling like a woman and the truth of them being trans. But how could they say they didn't feel like a man either, if they don't know what being a man feels like?

I'm increasingly convinced that even if I felt it, I couldn't take much comfort in the kind of "comfortable" you're talking about (but I guess I said that the first time.)

See, I totally disagree with your reasoning here. This ties in a bit with what Fnu said. [Warning: the following statement may be politically awkward.] A person with two X chromosomes and female anatomy almost certainly has a phenotypically female brain. That person can deeply, fundamentally feel that he is a man, and socially, he's right about that, but it's not because his basic wiring started out as that of a man who was born with a penis, because that's flatly absurd based on any basic scientific understanding of the situation. His maleness is a social construct and a performance exactly as fundamentally real as any other man's, but not fundamentally the same thing and the same experience. (Likewise, the experience of a transgendered person is beyond reach of a cis person of either sex.)

Gender isn't a pair of binary states that can just be flipped between. Both of the "basic model" genders are complex modes of social interaction that are defined mostly, but not entirely, through opposition to one another. Individual traits that we normally define in opposition to one another (sportsball vs. knitting?) aren't poles of a binary in any sense. They're just things, arbitrarily associated with genders.

So, how does someone determine that he or she is - well, not? If you don't yourself know what being nearer the center of the binary, or off the axis entirely, feels like, how could you know that you aren't that? Well, you just do, same as them; and I know you've heard that old saw before, but intending no offense, it's entirely applicable here. Subjective experience is inherently impossible to quantify and share - that's what the phrase means - but it's not difficult at all to see something outside yourself and say, "that's not me." Which of these do you think you resemble? What triggers the mirror nerves the strongest? I think that's the simplest part of the whole gender question.

It actually surprises me that so many people find themselves a fit for the genders as they're defined. (I'm including myself in that, too, to be clear.) Every other ancient binary with as much resonance as this one gets played with much more freely than this one has. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#45 Varnon

Varnon

Counterpoint is a man's soul.

• Citizen
  • 10207 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

[Warning: the following statement may be politically awkward.] A person with two X chromosomes and female anatomy almost certainly has a phenotypically female brain. 

I agree with a lot of what you say CB.

I do have one point of pseudo contest. Although I'm not really sure, given your post, that we are in disagreement.

An XX person or an XY person can still have *something in their brains that is different than what would be expected given the genotype. I am primarily referring to mailability in development and sensitivity to hormones. I don't see why something like androgen insensitive syndrome could not result in, for example, an XX woman with a "male brain." If there are truly male and female brains (I am not totally convinced that this is true), then it seems there are a few biological mechanism that might result in a individual of one genetic sex having a brain a little different than traditionally possessed by individuals of that sex.

*I say something instead of a specific thing because I don't know the specifics and the details are irrelevant I think.

Edited by Varnon, 01 March 2014 - 08:52 PM.

What signature?

#46 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:59 PM

gene expression is also an interesting factor to take into account. if a gene is unable to be expressed then the phenotype it's related to does not occur. That's when things start to get really complicated.

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#47 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

I'm sure there is something genetically different, though I don't find it important that there is in any social sense. I just wouldn't suspect patchwork gene expression or a literally differently-sexed brain. That's just not the simplest assumption and I don't see any reason to jump to it first. Or, alternately, if other phenotypic traits were expressed, then that kind of patchwork effect would be the default assumption.

And yes, brains are sexed. Whether the differences are significant to personality, cognition, identity, or any but a few aspects of behavior is another question, but there are measurable differences.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 01 March 2014 - 09:25 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#48 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:27 PM

My much earlier post wasn't a joke. It may have been seen as such but I honestly want to know if there are those that consider themselves bi-gender in a similar way that people see themselves as bi-sexual. Or is there some other label for it.

That's one thing that is really difficult to wade through. The enormous number of labels people use...

#49 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Infuriatingly so, yes.

Agender and bigender both have Wikipedia pages, which might be a good first stop.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 01 March 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#50 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

Honestly I think that there are only two genders. People who think they're some sort of third gender are just experiencing a point somewhere on a line between the two. It's like, you have 0 = male and 100 = female, and the majority of us fall between either 0 to 20 or 30 or 70 to 100. Then you have people who are 60 or 40 and are kind of confused by it, so they think they don't fit with either and decide they have their own classification rather than just "I'm masculine in some areas and feminine in others".

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#51 Varnon

Varnon

Counterpoint is a man's soul.

• Citizen
  • 10207 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Cheets, I think the way we use labels is part of the problem. If possible I prefer describing behavior to making a label to describe people.

Nyarlothotep, I agree. If there is a such thing as masculine and feminine, they should be on a continuum.

What signature?

#52 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

The labels are confusing and off putting yet positive role models such as the following seem to revel in them.

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive

#53 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:06 PM

It sucks how I never get to watch those colbert report videos.

if you can see this, i apologize for the above tweet, i was young and stupid and had nothing of value to say. please support lgbtq rights and listen to women's voices. that's all that really matters now. the right is evil, and should be opposed. thanks.

#54 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52953 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Yeah I've never understood why there needs to be 50+ gender identifiers, using Facebook as an example.

I can understand 3.

Male (if you identify as male)

Female (if you identify as female)

Transgender (if you're confused or unsure)

Anything more than that seems like static noise.

card-strongarm.jpg

#55 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

Can you access Hulu?

#56 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Now I'm not trying to be a dick about these identifiers. I simply don't get it and I'd like TO get it.

#57 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

Can you access Hulu?

Nope!

#58 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Former Staff~

• Retired Staff
  • 23162 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

As far as I'm aware Bi-gender refers to alternating between identifying as man and woman, and agender is "neither", I don't think these are unreasonable at all.
<p>Like my art? I do commissions!! -> <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='https://www.allspark...3622784</a></p>

#59 2019

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

As far as I'm aware Bi-gender refers to alternating between identifying as man and woman

I don't think that's how it works though. You don't choose a gender, it's like homosexuality- it's something you're born with. It just takes time to manifest.

#60 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:19 PM

As far as I'm aware Bi-gender refers to alternating between identifying as man and woman, and agender is "neither", I don't think these are unreasonable at all.

That's fine.

LGBT? Fine.

LGBTQ? I don't understand the need but whatever.

LGBTQIA? I don't even know what's going on anymore.

Edited by Cheetimus Primal, 01 March 2014 - 10:20 PM.