Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (23 February 2018 - 06:12 PM)

James Cameron doesn't have the resources to go deep enough to find THAT bar...

@  Foffy : (23 February 2018 - 05:38 PM)

it is a bar so low that it's deep underground

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2018 - 03:43 PM)

Not a high bar.

@  Bass X0 : (23 February 2018 - 03:42 PM)

still a better quote than anything Trump has ever said.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2018 - 03:35 PM)

Thanks, Obama!

@  Bass X0 : (23 February 2018 - 03:26 PM)

Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.

@  2018 : (23 February 2018 - 08:24 AM)

If anyone has an issue they'll revert your changes and tell you why on the wiki. If you're really bothered there's a thread on this board to ask in.

@  Plokatron : (22 February 2018 - 09:35 PM)

@2018 I'll do so ASAP then if no one minds. :)

@  2018 : (22 February 2018 - 08:38 PM)

Go change it then!

@  Plokatron : (22 February 2018 - 07:22 PM)

Also I just found a Error not listed on the Wiki for "Plus One" episode of Prime. The locomotive in said episode starts with slow puffing sounds like a steam locomotive but it is clearly a Diesel-Electric.

@  Plokatron : (22 February 2018 - 07:14 PM)

I said it wasn't recomended didn't I?

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 February 2018 - 06:54 PM)

There's still the background radiation. If all you had was a sealed helmet and an air tank, how long would you want to hang out being dosed by that?

@  Plokatron : (22 February 2018 - 06:52 PM)

Far more likely for us to boil. Since no air pressure means rapid case of The Bends. If we were aclumated slow enough we could possibly keep going with a Oxygen tank and sealed helmet. But it's not recomended.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 February 2018 - 10:49 AM)

Or a human would freeze to death if dumped out into the vacuum of outer space.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 February 2018 - 10:46 AM)

Or the left hemisphere of the brain is exclusively responsible for logic while the right is responsible for creativity.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 February 2018 - 10:45 AM)

@Pennpenn Haha, like human blood is blue without oxygen?

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 February 2018 - 10:30 AM)

That's a pretty crappy gift.

@  Robowang : (22 February 2018 - 09:45 AM)

The magic butthole fairy brought me a turd

@  Pennpenn : (22 February 2018 - 07:28 AM)

Ah, the only "science fact" I dislike more than "humans only use 10% of the brain".

@  Foffy : (22 February 2018 - 01:39 AM)

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway, because bees don't care what humans think is impossible

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2018 - 10:22 PM)

Nothing wrong a good B movie now and then. What's bothering me is that the search on seems to work based on titles.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 February 2018 - 09:50 PM)

Not quite as bad as FilmRise's lineup, though

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 February 2018 - 09:50 PM)

Crackle is full of a lot of low budget B movies, too

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2018 - 09:47 PM)

urg. Sounds as bad as broadcast TV.

@  Shrug : (21 February 2018 - 08:24 PM)

Completely free. Has commercials inserted in awkward moments. IIRC they tend to slot some in right before the credits. So, show ends. Buffers. Commercials. Buffers. Credits. Buffers. Intro to next show. Buffers. Commercials. Buffers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2018 - 07:50 PM)

crackle is actually free too? I was oddly leary of that one for some reason, but couldn't find any proof it was pay.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2018 - 07:38 PM)

They ARE an official content licensor, not "one of those other free sites"

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2018 - 07:37 PM)

One of several free VOD sites/apps that are ad supported. I think Tubi is Paramount. Similar to Crackle, which is owned by Sony

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2018 - 06:51 PM)

what is Tubi tv?

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2018 - 06:01 PM)

And there's an android app! Sweet!

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2018 - 05:57 PM)

oohhh, thanks for the heads up. Seems like lots of decent stuff on there too. Bookmarked.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2018 - 05:07 PM)

So, I guess Tubi TV got some deal with Hasbro. They got the entire Transformers saga through Animated...minus Beast Wars for some reason.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 February 2018 - 05:06 PM)

To be fair, if the TF Wiki split a new character page every time a story diverged from previous material, it would spiral ludicrously out of control.

@  ZakuConvoy : (21 February 2018 - 05:01 PM)

It's not a 1 to 1 situation, but it's the closest I can really come up with on the spot. Transformers is kind of different that way.

@  ZakuConvoy : (21 February 2018 - 04:59 PM)

No, but they do put the (trigger warning) pre-Mephisto Spider-Man in with the current Spider-Man. Not to mention Miles Morales's whole deal.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2018 - 04:49 PM)

I mostly meant how Marvel wiki doesn't put say, '80s cartoon Spider-Man as a sub-page of 616 Spider-Man.

@  Shrug : (21 February 2018 - 04:48 PM)

I guess I don't talk to enough Marvel fans.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2018 - 04:47 PM)

Those are still events pertaining to a specific Superman. Not really comparable to how all the G1 Scorponoks are on the same page despite having very different traits and origins, with no retcons attempting to reconcile them.

@  ZakuConvoy : (21 February 2018 - 04:45 PM)

Well, that's kind of what happens with DC comics characters, too. Stories that happened to Pre-Flashpoint Superman, like Doomsday, are still treated like they happened to the current Superman, even if that causes continuity problems, for example.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2018 - 04:42 PM)

If Marvel characters were treated like TF, then a bunch of cartoon and video game versions would be lumped with their main universe counterparts because of similar designs.

@  Shrug : (21 February 2018 - 04:39 PM)

I'd say we treat TF like comic book fans treat Marvel/DC characters. Hasbro doesn't though.

@  ZakuConvoy : (21 February 2018 - 04:36 PM)

I think the closest comparison with how we treat TF characters, that I can think of, is DC comic characters. Sort of.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2018 - 02:47 PM)

There's been a few statements from Hasbro people suggesting that they don't make that kind of distinction between G1 and otherwise as far as characters go. Like whatever somebody said about Magnus Prime's identity.

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2018 - 02:45 PM)

The IDW comics are the old characters in a new continuity, even if sometimes they don't act the same as they used to. War For Cybertron could have been the G1 characters in a new continuity but Hasbro said no. Whereas the Devastation game is the G1 characters in a new continuity.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2018 - 11:10 AM)

I think it's worth keeping in mind that the TF fandom's definition of same character isn't really used elsewhere.

@  Boomhauer : (21 February 2018 - 11:09 AM)

For what it's worth, the character blurb bios in that one kid's book matched the ones in Aligned, but that could just be a matter of "Hasbro isn't going to let a expensive 600 page story bible go to waste so it keeps being referenced" instead of proof it's an Aligned story.

@  Gryllid : (21 February 2018 - 08:57 AM)

But like, if we say "G1 Soundwave", are the cartoon, comic, and toy bio really all the same character in a way that Aligned Soundwave isn't?

@  Gryllid : (21 February 2018 - 08:57 AM)

I'm not even sure how we'd tell the difference between "G1 characters in a new continuity" and "new characters who look like the G1 characters". Maybe it's sort of a philosophical thing.

@  Nevermore : (21 February 2018 - 04:54 AM)

If you ask Hasbro, Cyberverse is about the Transformers characters.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 February 2018 - 10:09 PM)

We don't really know yet. It could be an amalgamation of things.

Photo
- - - - -

Building a MAME Cabinet: Also Restoring multiple Classic Arcade games!

227 replies to this topic

#21 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

My Streetfigter cost was 270 when I got it home it had 70 bucks in quaters in the bottom of it

If you dont have to move an acrade dont unless you have really wide doors

My SF came from an old Rampart machine turned CPS2 with the mylars and contol board added it has 16 diffrant connectors to slide the controls and  board out

sweet man! 

Here's my surviving cabinet.

1267085_10153262795345504_81375148_o.jpg

After I saved them.

1239198_10153247312430504_1095945113_o.j

My second cabinet had something go wrong in transport after I saved them from Terminal Reality before they shut down. I haven't gone in to really troubleshoot it, but for now it's just in the garage.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#22 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

That's... not a bad idea.

If someone is brave enough, they would make the cabinet into a dock for the portable MAME system.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#23 (Deactivated) XeroWarlock

(Deactivated) XeroWarlock
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2014 - 08:42 PM

I've been debating throwing together a MAME cab for years now using an LCD and an old tower or laptop. 

btw, shouldn't this thread be in Insert Coin?

#24 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Perhaps, but I wanted it to get more eyeballs in General, in case the member I was remembering would see it and pop in to comment.

Well, I have ordered more parts now:

1 Red Joystick

1 Green Joystick

1 Yellow Joystick

1 Blue Joystick

Illuminated player 1 - 4 buttons

6 Red LED Lit buttons

6 Green LED Lit buttons

6 Yellow LED Lit buttons

6 Blue LED Lit buttons

4 White LED Lit buttons for player coins,

I-PAC 4 for encoding

That along with the trackball and mount, and I am well on my way for my control panel. I just need the MDF and boards for the case and the wiring to connect it all. I might be able to build this control box next week if all the parts come in.

Edited by The Predaking, 04 March 2014 - 09:53 PM.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#25 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

take pics for us.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#26 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 38399 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Yes please!

#27 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Will do! It seems that most of my parts have shipped so maybe I can work on this this weekend!

#28 Kilby

Kilby

Imaginaut

• Supporter
  • 408 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 05 March 2014 - 11:11 PM

I can't recall who, but I know that someone here once built a MAME arcade cabinet, and since I am planning on building one myself, I thought that I would start a thread about it and see if anyone had any advice our just interest in seeing how this project will progress.

<Snip>

I have to admit, that I am leaning towards the four player route, but I was wondering what are your guys/gals opinions?

I built a MAME cabinet about ten years ago (wow, doesn't seem like it was that long ago.)

I used a small form factor PC configured with the Ultimarc ArcadeVGA graphics card with an old Mortal Kombat cabinet. For the controller I used the X-Arcade controller board/kit.

I also included a Playstation 2, Xbox and Dreamcast which connected to the monitor via a VGA switch. Each was outfitted with the Ultimarc monitor adapters for the respective system. I had to build out a video cable that ran from the monitor to the switch but from that point, it was just a matter of connecting the VGA switch to the video adapters. I connected the consoles to the control panel using a serial switch and the X-Arcade controller adapters. 

I let the cabinet sit for a few years after a move and the monitor went bad. I've been in the process of gutting it and converting to a LCD panel (for simplicity's sake) and upgrading the PC to an Intel i5-based NUC. I've been in the planning process of doing this for the last two years. I expect to actually get to it some time in 2025.

For photos of the project (as well as lots of embarrassing photos of me) you can check out my Flickr page. The first part of an unfinished guide can be found here.

I should really learn to finish a project.

#29 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:28 AM

Woot! Most of my parts came in today! I have the buttons, joysticks, and trackball, so all I need now is a few more buttons and the ipac4 encoder!

#30 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I should have the Encoder in today, so I need to get the wiring that I need to setup everything. I will also need to get a power supply to power the LED buttons and Trackball.

I did get a huge piece of cardboard to make a template for my control panel. That should help me immensely with my layout testing and building the actual panel.

#31 tec

tec

Its a mystery

• Supporter
  • 27275 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

trackball I always got shocked by them no Cinaped for me

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#32 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:46 PM

It's rare I ever play any games that require trackball. 

720 perhaps?

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#33 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

There are a few classic games out there that play with one, so I figured that I would use one. I picked it up for cheap on eBay, and it fits the control panel theme. Now if I can only find some light guns that work on LED HDTVs, and a spinner that doesn't cost an outrageous amount, I might add those to the system too.

#34 DeltaSeeker

DeltaSeeker
  • Supporter
  • 4683 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

There are a few classic games out there that play with one, so I figured that I would use one. I picked it up for cheap on eBay, and it fits the control panel theme. Now if I can only find some light guns that work on LED HDTVs, and a spinner that doesn't cost an outrageous amount, I might add those to the system too.

http://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html‎

Edited by DeltaSeeker, 11 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

signature.gif

#35 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hmmn, that looks pretty cool, but the cost is a bit much at $100 a piece. Being USB though, I can always addd them later on!

I have ordered the wiring and quick disconnects, so now all I need is a power supply for the lights, and I believe that I can use an older PC's power supply that I have laying around. I doubt that I will be using that 2004 HP XP Media Center again, especiall since it won't boot any more, and I have already scrubbed the data off of the hard drives.

I also have 2/3 of a sheet of plywood that I have been storing in my garage, so I am going to use that to start on the controller panel as soon as all the parts come in.

#36 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Thread Necromancy time!

Okay, so I have all the parts other than the wood, the Marque, and the T-molding. I even have a lot of the tools now that I will need to create the new MAME cabinet. I have been spending a lot of time trying to come up with a design for it though. I am trying to design it where it's easily assembled and disassembled for storage and transportation. However, all that has been sidelined for a bit as I start what should be an easier first project to tackle.

Okay, I bought what I thought was a Galaga machine at what I can only describe as an arcade junkyard here in Montgomery. I only paid $50 for it, but it was obviously not working. At first I thought that I would MAME it, but now after looking around around, I realized that I wanted to make it original again. So after looking into this, I discovered that I had not a Galaga cabinet, but a Galaxian one that had been converted to a Galaga one. What tipped me off was the envelope that I found in the bottom last night with all these electrical diagrams for Galaxian, that the cabinet was made in 1979, the overlay is Galaxian, and it had green T-molding.

6dc609998c2ee612335d7b9d774f33fa_zpsf3ff

Here is the album of Pics that I took last night:

http://smg.photobuck.../library/Arcade

So, now I am at an impasse, as I don't really know where to go from here. Would it be a tragedy to fully convert this into a Galaga machine? Should I 60 and 1 it? Just gut it all out and throw a MAME PC in it? Or should I restore it to the original Galaxian?

Edited by The Predaking, 13 July 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#37 WaveRyder

WaveRyder

Guardian of love and..no wait, that's not right..

• Citizen
  • 2045 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

Thread Necromancy time!

Okay, so I have all the parts other than the wood, the Marque, and the T-molding. I even have a lot of the tools now that I will need to create the new MAME cabinet. I have been spending a lot of time trying to come up with a design for it though. I am trying to design it where it's easily assembled and disassembled for storage and transportation. However, all that has been sidelined for a bit as I start what should be an easier first project to tackle.

Okay, I bought what I thought was a Galaga machine at what I can only describe as an arcade junkyard here in Montgomery. I only paid $50 for it, but it was obviously not working. At first I thought that I would MAME it, but now after looking around around, I realized that I wanted to make it original again. So after looking into this, I discovered that I had not a Galaga cabinet, but a Galaxian one that had been converted to a Galaga one. What tipped me off was the envelope that I found in the bottom last night with all these electrical diagrams for Galaxian, that the cabinet was made in 1979, the overlay is Galaxian, and it had green T-molding.

Here is the album of Pics that I took last night:

http://smg.photobuck.../library/Arcade

So, now I am at an impasse, as I don't really know where to go from here. Would it be a tragedy to fully convert this into a Galaga machine? Should I 60 and 1 it? Just gut it all out and throw a MAME PC in it? Or should I restore it to the original Galaxian?

International Arcade Museum marks Galaga was being way more common than Galaxian. The question is, how much time and money are you willing to put into restoring this machine? It looks pretty rough. Do you know if any of the components are working?

My gut feeling is that I'd try to restore the conversion unless I was going to go ahead and MAME it. See what works and then revisit the question.

#38 tec

tec

Its a mystery

• Supporter
  • 27275 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

I say turn it back into ether Glalaxian or Galaga geting it back to its former glory as ether or works for me

Edited by tec, 13 July 2014 - 01:27 PM.

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#39 The Predaking

The Predaking

Warlord is amazing!

• Supporter
  • 37689 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I have no idea if any of the components are working, and to be truthful, I can't even tell you what is missing.

Yeah, as much as I would love to have it as a Galaga machine, I am thinking that I will convert it back to Galaxian.

Sand it,

fill in the scratched in names

paint it white,

put new stickers on the side and kick plate,

Add the PCB

Swap out the power supply

Swap out the control panel

Put a new back panel on

fix the coin door

Add new coin door lock

#40 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 38399 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

Me personally; I would shoot for the 60 in 1. Just for the extra gaming, since you could turn it off galaxian and leave it on pac man if it suited your mood.

But restoration is basically a given.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users