Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (07 September 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Funny thing is, I think the pocket edition graphics give the game more personality.

@  MEDdMI : (06 September 2018 - 11:10 PM)

Final Finception

@  Waspinator : (06 September 2018 - 10:29 PM)

They've made a PS4 version of Final Fantasy 15 Pocket Edition. For those keeping score, it's the PS4 version of a smartphone version of a PS4 game.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Ah HA! turns out the trick to installing the rift software was to run it as an admin. Stupid windows 10.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Awright! I got the display port working! Which means I can now connect my occulus rift!

@  MEDdMI : (04 September 2018 - 10:38 PM)

*just stares*

@  Noideaforaname : (04 September 2018 - 09:36 PM)

Hello there

@  wonko the sane? : (04 September 2018 - 09:06 PM)

Howdy.

@  RichardT1977 : (03 September 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Or just a set of arms and shoulder cannons that combined Legends Godbomber with CW Optimus.

@  RichardT1977 : (03 September 2018 - 07:10 PM)

I still wish someone would make an upgrade kit for Combiner Wars Optimus that transformed from a trailer to a set of limbs with Powermaster shoulder cannons...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (03 September 2018 - 09:48 AM)

I read that as "Basilisky" for some reason.

@  Anonymous X : (03 September 2018 - 03:45 AM)

Basicslly

Photo

Pokemon Anime Thread - Spoilers

Anime Pokemon XY Kalos Ash

400 replies to this topic

#1 Daith

Daith

You must Unlearn what you have Learned

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

I'm going to start this thread in hopes to actually keep things outside the video game discussions thread. I know quite a few of you will appreciate that.

So am I the only one who's slowly being drawn back into the show? I got curious in the last season when Charizard was coming back and watched a few episodes then but Iris and Cilan really struck me as annoying characters at the time. Yet now here in XY we have Clemont and Bonnie traveling with Ash and Serena soon to join up. Part of me likes the reverse of the May and Max situation, and I'm finding Bonnie somewhat adorable. After this weeks episode it seems like she's the Animes way of translating the Pokemon Amie feature since shes grooming and playing with the Pokemon. Really a great way to try and bring that to the show IMHO. Clemont takes the Brock role this time and seems like he's gonna have a running gag of having a machine hidden in hammer space for any occasion that will shortly break down and explode. Kind of a fun change compared to Cilans connoisseur comments. Serena seems like a mix between May and Dawn so far, but since we haven't seen all too much of her it's hard to see what she will be in the group dynamic yet.

Love to see TR in a good return to form. Bringing back Wobbuffet was great and James getting another tag along Pokemon (Inkay) again seems like it's his style.  Love the motto montage they have this season as well. But I wouldn't mind them having the Black Uniforms still on occaision. What was the story with that last season anyways?

As far as Pokemon, it looks like Dedenne despite being caught by Clemont is going to be Bonnies main Pokemon. It's cute and the smaller sizes gives her a cute Pika Clone of her own.

Edit to finish my thoughts (had to go get the drive shoveled)- Froakie with Ash seems like we might end up getting repeat of the rebellious mon if his attitude from his initial episodes continues on in the show.. Bunnelby just sounds weird to me.

Edited by Daith, 17 November 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#2 BHFlint

BHFlint

Bork!

• Retired Staff
  • 30666 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

How is Dedenne pronounced? "duh-den", "dead-enny"?

#3 Shadowmask

Shadowmask

Homini lupus

• Citizen
  • 7463 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

I haven't watched the anime for a while, so I don't know what's official, but I always imagined "deh-den," with the final "e" silent, since that would be the French pronunciation and Kalos is a fantasy version of France.
"Ideas are the jive of creative brains."
- Nobel laureate chemist Linus Pauling

#4 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34535 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

It's Deh-den-eh.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#5 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3520 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

This series is pure win.  You can't beat the theme song for this season.

I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was.

#6 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 9804 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Never stopped following the anime, just lost track for a while after it moved to Cartoon Network, but I can safely say...I love the new season, and I'm pleased that they're doing a remix of the original tune for this season's theme song.

I'm pleasantly surprised that they're going back to Ash only having one starter, and equally surprised that they're sticking with him having the Water-type starter rather than the Grass-type. My only annoyance is that things aren't quite moving as quickly this season as they were last season, but that's not a bad thing.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#7 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20447 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'm going to start this thread in hopes to actually keep things outside the video game discussions thread. I know quite a few of you will appreciate that.

So am I the only one who's slowly being drawn back into the show? I got curious in the last season when Charizard was coming back and watched a few episodes then but Iris and Cilan really struck me as annoying characters at the time. Yet now here in XY we have Clemont and Bonnie traveling with Ash and Serena soon to join up. Part of me likes the reverse of the May and Max situation, and I'm finding Bonnie somewhat adorable. After this weeks episode it seems like she's the Animes way of translating the Pokemon Amie feature since shes grooming and playing with the Pokemon. Really a great way to try and bring that to the show IMHO. Clemont takes the Brock role this time and seems like he's gonna have a running gag of having a machine hidden in hammer space for any occasion that will shortly break down and explode. Kind of a fun change compared to Cilans connoisseur comments. Serena seems like a mix between May and Dawn so far, but since we haven't seen all too much of her it's hard to see what she will be in the group dynamic yet.

Love to see TR in a good return to form. Bringing back Wobbuffet was great and James getting another tag along Pokemon (Inkay) again seems like it's his style.  Love the motto montage they have this season as well. But I wouldn't mind them having the Black Uniforms still on occaision. What was the story with that last season anyways?

As far as Pokemon, it looks like Dedenne despite being caught by Clemont is going to be Bonnies main Pokemon. It's cute and the smaller sizes gives her a cute Pika Clone of her own.

Edit to finish my thoughts (had to go get the drive shoveled)- Froakie with Ash seems like we might end up getting repeat of the rebellious mon if his attitude from his initial episodes continues on in the show.. Bunnelby just sounds weird to me.

The black uniforms came about as part of a controversial make-over for the pair. The idea was to make Jessie & James competent, and in fact they very nearly scored a number of victories over the course of Black & White; more often than not, it was a cheap deus ex machina that stopped them instead of anything Ash & co. did. However, the team was reverted back to their old selves for the final installment of B&W.

With Iris, it was strongly hinted at (but not outright stated) that she was an orphan and that the mon around her village raised her Jungle Book-style. The village elder made sure that she received at least a basic education, but by Iris' own admission she hadn't even seen a book (let alone a textbook) until she was sent off to a boarding school. Although she's a little more "world-wise" due to being somewhat older than Ash, she has virtually no book-learning under her belt and is almost completely helpless in most social situations. I'm guessing that the writers were trying to portray her as a 180 from the other girls to that point (who were increasingly "girly" and who often simply reacted to what the male characters around them did).

As far as X&Y goes -

I'm not entirely keen on Ash's first capture (aside from Froakie) being Fletchling. Unless there's someone I'm forgetting, since day one a flying type - or a mon that can fly - has always been the #1 or #2 catch Ash makes. And while Fletchling is perhaps the most "appealing" of the flying types this round, we already had one Fletchling that belonged to Serena's mom; a bit of variety might have been nice, even if only so far as to make Ash's Fletchling a shiny.

#8 Daith

Daith

You must Unlearn what you have Learned

• Supporter
  • 8532 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

You gotta give him a flyer. Be harder to do the whole search and rescue plot without one. And in game Fletchling is most likely the first Kalos flyer your going to see.

I saw a few of the earlier BW episodes and saw TR were actually acting a lot less like themselves. Didn't mind them having somewhat competent ideas but it did feel a bit off after a decade of them being complete screwballs. Still I think they should occasionally use the Black outfits for night or stealth shenanigans.

#9 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

I saw a few of the earlier BW episodes and saw TR were actually acting a lot less like themselves. Didn't mind them having somewhat competent ideas but it did feel a bit off after a decade of them being complete screwballs. Still I think they should occasionally use the Black outfits for night or stealth shenanigans.

They were acting like their first two appearances. You know, like an actual threat. Enemies who you might actually fight in a Pokemon battle that didn't immediately boil down to Ash's Pokemon immediately taking them out with one hit.

I want to see Ash using an actually strategy to take on an enemy Pokemon. I don't want to see enemies thrown in at the end of an episode just to pad out an extra minute of screentime with Pikachu throwing thundershock at a giant mech or balloon to immediately win. You want to make them humorous? Fine. But if you're going to have them as villains, then make them a threat.

I. Want. Conflict.

You may argue that their initial B&W appearences were out of character, and maybe they were. But those episodes succeeded in doing what this show hadn't accomplished since season 1; they made Team Rocket an actual threat that had to be taken seriously by Ash and company. And that, that did the impoeeible for me; it made me actually interested in this show again after not caring about it at all in years. Because I finally knew that every time I saw Team Rocket in an episode, I'd also see Ash needing to use all his skill as a Pokemon trainer to defeat them, which is what I might actually watch this show or play the games for to begin with.

#10 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20447 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

Another thing of note for B&W is that they were taking direct orders on each assignment, either from Giovanni himself (via his secretary) or a scientist who they were assigned to assist.

However, at the end of the Meloetta arc, Giovanni is severely injured and has to be rushed back to headquarters for treatment, the scientist and secretary in tow. At this point, Team Rocket is out on their own again... and acting just like the comedy relief they've always been.

In other words, they're good at following the plans of others, but are terrible at coming up with their own.

#11 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20447 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

One thing I'd like to see in the anime?

An anime-exclusive gym leader whose mon are such a brick wall that he has never lost in the however many years he's been a gym leader.

[Mentor]: "The strongest gym? That would be the _____ Gym."

Ash: "Really? Tell me all about it!"

[Mentor]: "At this gym, you don't get badges for winning... because no one has ever won. You get your badge based on how long you last and how gracefully you accept your inevitable and potentially embarrassing defeat."

Ash has never really faced an "impossible" opponent in the series. In the rare events where he hasn't won a badge or frontier token, he won on the second go-around. He always beats his rivals whenever it's the final showdown, no matter how many time he loses beforehand. He also typically gets pretty darn far in whatever tournaments or leagues he competes in, and has this success as a consolation prize.

But he has never really been faced with the prospect of hitting a wall that he has no way to maneuver around.

#12 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

The sage, the fool, the sinner

• Supporter
  • 42038 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:45 AM

Another thing of note for B&W is that they were taking direct orders on each assignment, either from Giovanni himself (via his secretary) or a scientist who they were assigned to assist.

However, at the end of the Meloetta arc, Giovanni is severely injured and has to be rushed back to headquarters for treatment, the scientist and secretary in tow. At this point, Team Rocket is out on their own again... and acting just like the comedy relief they've always been.

In other words, they're good at following the plans of others, but are terrible at coming up with their own.

At least they stopped relying on pitfalls to do everything.

#13 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20447 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

Also -

I don't think I've seen James ever capture a mon through battle.

Every mon I can recall him capturing, he either convinced to join him (like his Chingling) or suckered into a trap with bait (like his Inkay).

Not even Ash can boast such a record.

#14 Cabooceratops

Cabooceratops

Girl Whomst Love Girls

• Staff
  • 21869 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Team Rocket are the best screwup villain trio ever, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Like my art? I do commissions!! -> https://www.allspark...

#15 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34535 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

XY in general has hit that fine line between threatening and pathetic for Team Rocket. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#16 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Also -

Every mon I can recall him capturing, he either convinced to join him (like his Chingling) or suckered into a trap with bait (like his Inkay).

He caught Weepinbell by defeating it in battle with Weezing.

#17 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Citizen
  • 20447 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Also -

I seem to recall an episode where he said that he raised his.

#18 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Also -

I seem to recall an episode where he said that he raised his.

Yes. After he caught it with Weezing.

Here's flashback footage of it. In Spanish because I'm lazy:

Edited by ZeroX, 10 February 2014 - 07:53 PM.

#19 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 9804 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

One thing I'd like to see in the anime?

An anime-exclusive gym leader whose mon are such a brick wall that he has never lost in the however many years he's been a gym leader.

[Mentor]: "The strongest gym? That would be the _____ Gym."

Ash: "Really? Tell me all about it!"

[Mentor]: "At this gym, you don't get badges for winning... because no one has ever won. You get your badge based on how long you last and how gracefully you accept your inevitable and potentially embarrassing defeat."

Ash has never really faced an "impossible" opponent in the series. In the rare events where he hasn't won a badge or frontier token, he won on the second go-around. He always beats his rivals whenever it's the final showdown, no matter how many time he loses beforehand. He also typically gets pretty darn far in whatever tournaments or leagues he competes in, and has this success as a consolation prize.

But he has never really been faced with the prospect of hitting a wall that he has no way to maneuver around.

I seem to vaguely recall the guy who beat him in the Sinnoh League - the dude with the Darkrai and Latios, I think his name was Tobias - being pretty dang undefeatable. Seriously, Ash was the closest that guy had to a real fight in that entire tournament - took down those who and got his entire team dropped in the process - and he's probably never gonna rematch with the guy.

Also, one thing about undefeatable opponents...they're boring. I don't want to see Ash go up against an undefeatable opponent because we already know the outcome - he loses. Sure, Ash might do some crazy stunts, come up with an excellent strategy, bring in his big guns, but if we know he's going to lose, then that's just not interesting. You would have a Boring Invincible Antagonist. It'd be like the fight with the Black Knight in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" if the guy didn't get his limbs hacked off and just kept killing whatever random dude came along. Seriously, it'd get old. Foes exist to be defeated, not to stand around going "hur dur dur, I'm so badass you'll never beat me" and then demonstrate why and go "hur dur dur, try as many times as you like, you'll never win". If I'm Ash, I'd say, "Screw this" and have Charizard turn him into a crispy critter.

Reminds me of why I don't like the Borg in "Star Trek" all that much, I feel pretty much the same way about them. Makes me glad they got taken out of play permanently in the novels, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, back on topic; I don't like your idea, I find it to be stupid and boring, and I look forward to this weekend's episode.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#20 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 7192 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

Team Rocket are the best screwup villain trio ever, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'd still give the nod to the Doronbo gang, who manage to balance being evil-for-the-sake-of-evil scum who constantly swindle folks, to endearing screwups who never win.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anime, Pokemon, XY, Kalos, Ash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users