Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Travis Knight Lights Our Darkest Hour; A Tale of Redemption!

Cheap babby toys for babbys wrong opinions horrible taste Overpriced repaints Bludgeon was here #TeamTrypticon Bayhem Red Swoop

49508 replies to this topic

#49501 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17230 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted Yesterday, 12:31 PM

I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!

Well, not really, but that's awesome and I want it.

nzo8WYb.png

#49502 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 25441 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted Yesterday, 02:15 PM

Guess I'm skipping Magnus then.

How come? They don't have anything in common aside from being toys with super modes.

This new Cybertron Prime is a retool of Magnus.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#49503 Logicron

Logicron

Another bootleg brought to you by Logicron

• Citizen
  • 29671 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Oh, that makes it even less awesome than the original.

#49504 Lancer

Lancer
  • Citizen
  • 24553 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Getting a Unicron Trilogy homage in this day and age is awesome enough for me

#49505 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17836 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 PM

After years of Optimus being a red boxman and maybe sometimes a knight, this year, I get like five super mode Optimuses all at once. Incredible. 

pDHhVB1.jpg

#49506 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 17230 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

Picked up Magnus and he's hugging gorgeous.

Details to follow.

nzo8WYb.png

#49507 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

• Supporter
  • 17230 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:05 PM

Siege Ultra Magnus looks really good in person.  The greebles aren't nearly as noticable when they aren't highlighted by studio detail lighting.

The vehicle mode is probably the weakest, primarily because it doesn't seem especially solid, even though it holds together perfectly well.

Spoiler

Like, don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but you can clearly see the Magnus head, his arms and the upper thighs, but, I mean who's going to keep him in vehicle mode?

The inner Prime mode is great looking and very pose-able, managing to look both like Optimus but different enough to be unique thanks to the imported design cues:

Spoiler

The only downside to the inner Prime is that the bumper section doesn't detach and remains hanging off his back.  I can see where a customizer could modify it so it would slide off and there's really no reason why it shouldn't given that it can slide from his hips to his upper back via a transfer rail while still leaving him with a waist twist.  Like, just remove the bit that stops it going the rest of the way up and it would just slide right off.

The Magnus Armor mode is just sublime. It can be a little tedious to go from one extreme to the other due to the parts forming, but nothing feels particularly difficult about splitting up the trailer and sliding the bits on.

Spoiler

The bumper bulks out his ass so that he looks nicely proportionate and due to the split transfer rail on his back, he still retains his waist swivel!  The overall look reminds me of the better Power Rangers Megazords.  This is a guy dressed up in boxy armor ready to pound a monster.

The paint detailing is great throughout and the weathering effects wind up in very reasonable places (feat, chest, legs, arms).  I love the bold colors, which seems to be a theme with Siege, very bold and rich colors.  The amount of articulation they've stuffed into him is brilliant.  Ankle tilts in both modes and while the armor does inhibit his movement a little bit, it's still more than enough to get him in some expressive poses.

He's easily the winner between him and Shockwave.

Really the only downside is the partsforming shenanigans 

Edit: One more for good measure, a group shot:

XAIYPSyl.jpg

Edited by The Doctor Who, Yesterday, 11:18 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#49508 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 36674 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:27 PM

I hope this Cybertron Prime turns out to be gorgeous once we get pictures that we can be sure are properly transformed and have all the armor attached tightly. Right now I'm not so sure about it.

I don't know why I care. The whole Cybertron line bores me. I've never seen a single clip of the show. Prime's vehicle mode is too out there for my taste*. But I'm rooting for this thing so hard. I want it to be gorgeous.

It has to be hard to make a new Cybertron Prime, because the original is still about the most premium mainline Prime we've ever gotten. Anything that only has a mouthplate or doesn't have a Matrix or doesn't have hands that can hold it (looking at you, Potpie Optimus Prime, and Rodimus for that matter) was going to feel like a downgrade. This new one has a lot to prove, and it's saddled with the limitation of just being an Ultra Magnus remold.

This one brings to the table ankle tilts, wrist joints, a waist joint, a basic robot mode that isn't just a boring version of the super mode but actually gets to be its own thing, and oh gosh yest it has handles for the cannons. They're a simple thing but they matter. This is a really respectable effort. It would be a shame if it's marred by the wings being as stubby as they look in the in-hand picture or the shoulders being as low as they look. The pixelly picture looks okay, so I want to believe.

*I just can't see Cybertron Prime's vehicle mode as a future Earth truck. Who do you think you're kidding? Our trucks aren't going to look like that. However, I've long maintained that Cybertron could have worked an interesting Armada Prequel. Come on, Starscream's a tetrajet all pre-Earth proper. So I'm quite amused that SIEGE is now placing this Prime design on Cybertron as a pre-Earth mode.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#49509 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17836 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 12 minutes ago

818MZX0.jpg

pDHhVB1.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users