Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 12:41 PM)

It arrived! Yay!

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 11:25 AM)

Given how the virus lasts about 3-4 days on metals and plastics, it's about the only way to go about getting stuff right now. I ordered a monitor mount for my desk and the delivery has been pushed back twice already.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 11:04 AM)

He ordered it online, says it was to keep those delivery boys in business. I did the same a week ago with some Transformers Studio Series figures off Kapow. Don't know if it's wise or not considering.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 09:12 AM)

You'd be the first. Everyone else has either been frustrated cause the one they wanted was sold out (like during boxing week.) or rushing to replace something broken.

@  RYNO : (03 April 2020 - 08:53 AM)

I actually walked into a store the other day and just randomly decided to buy at 32inch TV. It was just a Vizio, and grabbed a Mounting Bracket for it. No duress. Just a spur of the moment wanted a TV for my master bedroom.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:31 AM)

Conversely: I've never met a person who wasn't buying a TV under duress... so... yeah.

@  wonko the sane? : (03 April 2020 - 07:20 AM)

I think I've met maybe two people other than myself who count cables before buying a TV.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (03 April 2020 - 05:33 AM)

Seriously.. HDMI splitters and switches are so bloody finicky, but most tvs don't have enough inputs.

@  Maximus Ambus : (03 April 2020 - 05:09 AM)

Just spent a hour trying to get my brothers new Samsung TV to read his Playstation and Blu Ray player only to find he was using a HDMI splitter.

@  Steevy Maximus : (02 April 2020 - 11:07 AM)

I could never master oral bullshittery. But in my day I was quite adept with the written word.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 April 2020 - 11:32 PM)

You have mastered the art of Bulljive. You must use this power only for good, or entertainment.

@  Sabrblade : (01 April 2020 - 08:58 PM)

This morning, for one of my online classes, I had to give a positive oral presentation about a play that I hated having to watch. I went into it completely unprepared and just winged it. My professor LOVED my presentation and thought it was excellent. She believed every word I said and honestly thought that I enjoyed that miserable play. Best April Fools ever!

@  ▲ndrusi : (01 April 2020 - 10:06 AM)

Happy Everyone Thinks They're A Comedian Now Day!

@  Donocropolis : (31 March 2020 - 05:45 AM)

Who, I might add, has never been photographed together with Byteman. Just sayin'.

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 10:27 PM)

Bruce Wayne's cyberpunk cousin?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 09:27 PM)

Laser Wayne

@  Sabrblade : (30 March 2020 - 09:08 PM)

Luther Unum

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 07:09 PM)

Or Lee Derwon.

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:51 PM)

Not to be confused with Leader I

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was Leader Uno

@  Steevy Maximus : (30 March 2020 - 06:50 PM)

He was the OTHER Leader 1

@  TheMightyMol... : (30 March 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Or Sideways.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (30 March 2020 - 05:26 PM)

On the other hand, this is Armada we're talking about. It could have actually been Metroplex.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (28 March 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Oh yeah, that was Fort Max. My bad.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:12 PM)

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Peritus_Maximus

@  LBD "Nyt... : (28 March 2020 - 09:11 PM)

Christmas Maximus?

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 March 2020 - 01:13 PM)

At least the ozone layer is healing. unless this is a 0.0000000001% thing it's sounds like good news.

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:27 AM)

(But only pretty sure, not 100% sure.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (28 March 2020 - 09:26 AM)

Pretty sure y'all were thinking of Fortress Maximus yesterday.

@  Bass X0 : (28 March 2020 - 12:38 AM)

Dare! Dare to believe you can survive 2020!

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 March 2020 - 08:18 PM)

Baja Blast is back at retail!

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 03:47 PM)

Shame he wasn't around more. He seemed like such a jolly, happy soul.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 02:16 PM)

No, he was definitely Metroplex. You could tell because he was in Metroplex's distinctive red and green coloration.

@  Paladin : (27 March 2020 - 02:11 PM)

that was Leader-1. or possibly Jolt. maybe Grindor...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (27 March 2020 - 01:57 PM)

Metroplex was in Armada, in a flashback. He was the same size as everybody else. I thought that was the joke.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (27 March 2020 - 12:39 PM)

@Rodimus Supreme: Gah! You are right! How'd I get that mixed up? x.x;

@  TheMightyMol... : (27 March 2020 - 12:14 PM)

There is no Metroplex. Only Zuul.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:13 AM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: There is no Armada Metroplex, he was in Cybertron.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:12 AM)

And they'd be better off just retooling Metroplex and Fortress Maximus to be somewhat more accurate and changing/adding parts for interaction with later play gimmicks.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (27 March 2020 - 11:11 AM)

I honestly would prefer that for scale purposes.

@  Cyoti : (27 March 2020 - 11:07 AM)

They can redo all the CW combiners as Titan Class figures like Predaking/Devastator.

@  Dekafox : (27 March 2020 - 07:52 AM)

They could just redo Metroplex again too. Especially if it's going to be S3 based. They could also do another Primus to go with the coming Unicron.

@  OverDrive73 : (26 March 2020 - 10:56 PM)

If anyone is bored, or interested... I just added the last chapter to my fanfic comic in Allspark Pictures

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:54 PM)

And no.. We could always get Titan Class Superion.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (26 March 2020 - 10:53 PM)

We need Titan Class Transformers Armada Metroplex.

@  Telly : (26 March 2020 - 08:39 PM)

ill be surprised if scorpy isnt the last titan

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:57 PM)

Too bad a new character titan class figure is pretty much an impossibility.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 March 2020 - 05:56 PM)

I want a titan class, really good looking bucket wheel excavator. Like Cybertron Metroplex was supposed to be but didn't quite pull off.

@  wonko the sane? : (26 March 2020 - 03:32 PM)

I just taped up a shower curtain and took my first shower in three weeks. It was heavenly.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (26 March 2020 - 11:48 AM)

I would buy that...

Photo
- - - - -

The Unicron Trilogy Positivity Thread - What did you like about it?

unicron trilogy transformers armada transformers energon transformers cybertron

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
151 replies to this topic

#1 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35140 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

I've wanted to make this thread for a while. RiD may have been where I got into the fandom, but the UT is where I cut my teeth. And I don't know... while it certainly had its flaws (its many, MANY flaws), I think there's still plenty of good to be said about it.

So yeah, this is a feel good thread. I'm not a moderator, but I'd like it if we could keep this thread mostly positive. I certainly welcome debate, but... well, the areas where the UT failed are certainly well established, and I think for this one, it'd be best if we kept it light, you know?

So... what were things you liked about the UT? What did you think it did well?

Personally, my favorite lasting addition will always be the Mini-Cons. I know the comic characterizations for them are more popular, but I generally prefer the cartoon origin. I dunno why, but I think the idea of the Mini-Cons being a third pillar of Cybertronian culture who came from UNICRON rather than Primus, and because of an act of kindness, they chose their own destiny. There's something kind of inspiring about that, I think?

Anyway, I look forward to your thoughts.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#2 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Hold your heads high, reach for the sky, never surrender

• Supporter
  • 46301 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Minicons.

#3 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42519 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Armada Starscream's portrayal. I can't really think of anything that I like better from the three series.

#4 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17039 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:32 AM

Unicron toy. Tidal Wave. And the first ten or so episodes of Energon - especially the one where Megatron comes back to life (in cel animation! and to great music!) and beats Scorponok into scrap.

#5 Sailor Unicron

Sailor Unicron
  • Citizen
  • 3551 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

1) Minicons.  Tiny robots that transform into tiny vehicles just strike a chord with me.  Just so cute!

2) Unicorn.

3) Primus in toy form

4) Lost Transformer colonies.  I just like the idea.

You are more than flesh and bone / Can't you see, you're something beautiful...you gotta believe that you are / Someone worth dying for

God's not dead!

In 1996: "TRUKK NOT MUNKEY!"; In 2013: "PONEE NOT HUGHMAN!"; in 2014: "TREE NOT CASSUL"; Regardless of the fandom, it all boils down to one thing: "RUINED FOREVA!"

DA account

I got my counter at Jellyneo.net! NaNoWriMo is GO!

#6 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35140 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Unicron toy. Tidal Wave. And the first ten or so episodes of Energon - especially the one where Megatron comes back to life (in cel animation! and to great music!) and beats Scorponok into scrap.

*blinks*

wasn't that cgi over traditional backgrounds like most of the show? I don't remember any traditional animation for Megatron or Scorponok in that scene.

Edited by Razorsaw, 23 December 2013 - 09:38 AM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#7 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Hold your heads high, reach for the sky, never surrender

• Supporter
  • 46301 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

Energon sometimes switched to cell animation for closeups. It's like they KNEW the CG sucked.

#8 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35140 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

I know that. I just don't remember them doing that in THAT scene.

#9 Axaday

Axaday
  • Supporter
  • 34703 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

I quit watching in the middle of Armada, but not really because I hated it.  My job made it hard to catch and I didn't have a DVR.  I didn't LOVE it, though.

I got the DVDs for all of it a year ago, so I could watch them.  I got a little ways into Energon before I started dating my wife and I've never found time to pick it up again.  Again, not because I HATED it, but I have had time to watch other things.

So I can only talk about Armada a lot and cursory things about the others.  About Armada, I enjoyed the new take on the characters which was kind of a new thing.  We're used to it now, but it was kind of new then.  Prime is a very good toy.  Wheeljack is a very good toy.  Starscream and Megatron are good toys.  I liked Starscream's redemption story.  A totally different kind of treachery than we are used to.  I loved it that the guy that looked like Devestator was actually a good guy.  Edit - Oh and like Thy said...Unicron toy.

I didn't love the Energon combining gimmick, but the homages to Rodimus and Wheeljack and I can't remember who else were nice (though they have since been surpassed).  Sidelining the Decepticons and bringing in the Terrorcons for the villains was neat.  Scorponok was a really good toy and his little mindless minions were neat.  I don't know how the story ends and haven't seen Megatron's return.

I haven't seen a single minute of Cybertron, but GalaxyConvoy is a great toy and so is the speed planet leader.  Both of Hotshot's toys and the repaint Excilion are great and I really loved it that they made two versions of Hotshot where he scanned a different vehicle, but you can see in the robot mode that he's the same guy.

Edited by Axaday, 23 December 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#10 unluckiness

unluckiness

4 U

• Citizen
  • 20022 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

Toy-wise, I loved how creative some of the gimmicks ended up becoming, things like Scavenger's stomping, the various combinations and pretty much everything about Cybertron Optimus. Fiction-wise, it was great how characters weren't 100% tied to previous portrayals of characters with the same names.

XgxCpmP.png

#11 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52348 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

I loved the Armada toys. That Optimus fully loaded up with Jetfire and Overload is the biggest badass we've ever gotten. It looks so imposing displayed. Tidal Wave is only knees away from being in the Top 3 Transformers ever. Plus we finally got a Unicron toy!

card-strongarm.jpg

#12 Cat

Cat
  • Retired Staff
  • 11612 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

Armada Overload.

Cybertron everything.

#13 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1489 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I liked the part where the Energon cartoon ended. 

Seriously - I really enjoyed a lot of the toys, and felt like they consistently improved throughout all three series. The Cybertron Scouts were just wonderful, every one of them, and most of the Deluxes were too - Cybertron, for my money, marks the point when Hasbro/Takara really mastered the Deluxe size point, and it generally remains the highlight of the toylines for me. Mini-Cons are terrific. The Autobot Energon Deluxe combiner guys are a huge amount of fun. Energon Landmine is just awesome, one of my absolute favorite large toys. 

Fiction-wise, I really enjoyed most of the Armada comic. The moonbase saga remains one of Furman's best stories. If they hadn't forced him to shoehorn Unicron in, I'm sure there would have been another good arc after it. Cybertron's dub was a lot of fun and a huge breath of fresh air after the all-round excrement that was the Energon cartoon.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#14 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17039 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

I know that. I just don't remember them doing that in THAT scene.

They did.

#15 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35140 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

Here are some characters I liked, beyond the obvious Armada Starscream example.

Sixshot - He's one of the bright spots of the latter parts of Energon/Superlink. The idea of a Decepticon nerd whose more dangerous due to his mind, reads comic books, sounds kind of sniveling but is really cunning, speaks to me. I wish he could make the jump to the wider canon, but his name is an obstacle.

Cyclonus - Everything this guy did made me laugh, even if the yodeling as Snowcat got old. He's the quintessential "hyperactive berserker" Decepticon to me, and I will always love him. "Morale?! We've never had morale around here!"

Demolishor - A Decepticon that honestly thinks he's doing his duty and isn't truly a bad guy. I will always agree that what Energon/SL did to him was unfortunate, but as he was in the first arc and in Armada is how I'll always remember him. A great character who deserves to continue.

Ransack and Crumplezone - You guys can't talk about one without the other, and these guys are two halves of the same coin. We've had pathetic villain characters before, but these two are full on Team Rocket. It rather disappoints me that the Aligned novels tried to turn Ransack into a "legitimate" villain...

Vector Prime - Say what you will about the 13, but I love Vector Prime greatly. He felt... relatable, like a kindly old grandfather. And unlike a lot of Furmanian characters, he wasn't larger than life... he got beat up, he had weaknesses. His "death" and reaching out to Optimus in the final episodes are some of the most poignant TF moments for me.

#16 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14319 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

1. Minicons. To this day I cannot get enough. I loved the toys for all of the UT, to varying degrees, but offer me a Minicon and I'm sold.

2. Just the feel of possibility -- it was, for all intents and purposes, a new era in nostalgia after BM wrapped up the G1 plot and RiD served as a stopgap/transition. It was sort of like the Movie era, except more contained. We'd never seen so much attention, I think.

3. In line with possibility for the brand in general, the storylines for the series. And nifty new characters like Armada Wheeljack, Scattorshot, and Hot Shot.

4. Cybertron. My favorite part out of the three had something for everyone!

5. Unicron. Sure, they beat him into the ground storywise, but man, before that well ran dry, was it ever good to see him back. The recent Amazon exclusive one took it to another level, but Armada made it happen.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#17 Rycochet

Rycochet

We are hostages.

• Citizen
  • 3344 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

By the end of Cybertron, they had vehicle transformer engineering perfected, they'd found the perfect balance of gimmicry, complexity, durability and articulation which made the toys a whole heap of fun, something that I don't feel that more recent lines have managed. Classics greatly benefited from the lessons learned and we got two of the best deluxe scale transforming toys of all time in Bumblebee and Mirage.

I would take Cybertron Defense Scattorshot or Cybertron Mudflap over 90% of the toys from the lines that have followed... While some of them have been engineering marvels, they haven't come close to being as much fun.

Edited by Rycochet, 23 December 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#18 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

In no particular order:

• Generally revitalizing the brand for a new generation.  We all give credit to the films, but I think Armada's success was the seed to getting TFs as healthy as they are now.
  • Unicron in toy form.
  • Cybertron/Primus in toy form.
  • Some gorgeous moments of Japanese cel animation.
  • Peter Cullen's first involvement with Transformers in over a decade, doing the Toonami Armada promo.  Who DIDN'T get excited when they saw this?

• Armada Starscream's character.
  • I liked the beginning of Energon for showing Decepticons being reintegrated into Autobot society and Demolishor's conflicts over the change.
  • I liked the story of Cybertron a lot more than the execution.  The idea of ancient Autobots establishing far off colonies, with the idea that they'll evolve in different ways, and in turn return to the homeworld to evolve it as well, that's incredible.  There's so much follow-up potential, seeing how all the new elements of the world clash or coexist over the millenia, and what happens when it becomes time to retrieve the Cyber Planet Keys again.

Edited by Aberration, 23 December 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#19 Tindalos

Tindalos
  • Citizen
  • 1895 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I was a huge fan of how Cybertron gave the bots from each colony world their own little flourishes. Velocitron's top heavy designs with slim limbs and clear wheels. The robot mode tusks of Animatros' warriors.

They provided some interesting differences to the bots of Earth and Cybertron, suggesting just how long they had been separate from their homeworld.

#20 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 6133 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

Note: I avoided the  actual shows, as every attempt to watch any of them lead to nothing but wincing.

Unicron and Primus toys.

Minicons. (Essentially upgraded micromasters with interactive features? Yes, please)

Scorponok's design (has surplanted the G1 version in my mind as far as shape goes. Colors need work)

Lots of toy innovation.

The Playstation 2 video game. 

Tidal Wave, as a concept & design (Again, can't speak for characterization).

Establishing that a mix of contemporary vehicles, futuristic vehicles, and beasts remains viable.

Bringing the idea of more Transformer-colonized planets into focus.

j1GI7Gi.gif