Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:42 PM)

Another great 90's animated film is, of course, The Iron Giant.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 03:25 PM)

Another thing I liked about The Prince of Egypt was that it explained (without even having to say it outright) why Moses was chosen to deliver the Israelites from Egypt. Someone who had been raised among the slaves would have had too much bitterness and would want to go in throwing the wrath of God on all the Egyptians (or at least the royal family) until they all burned alive. But Moses had been raised as a member of the royal family, so he still thought of them as family. He wanted to reach a peaceful solution if at all possible.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:04 PM)

"I know! I'll turn him into a flea. A harmless little flea, and then I'll put that flea in a box, and then put that box inside of another box, and when it arrives - AHAHAHA! I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMAH! It's brilliant, brilliant, BRILLIANT, I tell you! Genius, I say!"

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:03 PM)

Hell, The Emperor's New Groove is easily the funniest animated film ever. Disney managed to do what Dreamworks tried to do, and they did it right.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:02 PM)

None of their "funny" movies are anywhere near as funny as Aladdin or The Emperor's New Groove.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 03:02 PM)

Its a pity Dreamworks devolved into a company that churned out "funny" films filled with pop culture references.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 03:00 PM)

(also at the end of that scene, the camera pans up from the Egyptian skyline to the night sky and the most prominent constellation is Orion. Which the Egyptians associated with Osiris)

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:59 PM)

Yeah I give them full credit for treating the Last Plague with all the solemness it deserves.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:59 PM)

It freed the Israelites, but Moses sure hated seeing what it did to his brother and all the normal non-slave owning people who didn't do anything wrong to the Israelites.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:58 PM)

And it actually portrays God murdering children as a tragic thing, something most other adaptations disturbingly don't do.

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:57 PM)

So that what He told Moses becomes, "I'll lay the smackdown on Egypt, but I should warn you it's only gonna make Rameses dig in his heels more until I have no choice but to break him fully."

@  RichardT1977 : (26 March 2017 - 02:56 PM)

It also describes the "hardening of the Pharoah's heart" as his natural reaction to the plagues rather than an intentional mental override by God.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:54 PM)

Hell, it actually portrays the Plagues as something that's bad and treats most of the Egyptian people as not deserving that shit. "All the innocent who suffer from your stubbornness and pride" and all that.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:53 PM)

I'm a Christian, but Prince of Egypt is one of the few religious movies I'll willingly watch, because it's actually good instead of being self-rightous preachy nonsense, batshit crazy propaganda or schmaltzy trash. It also has a great soundtrack with music that I actually put up there with some of Disney's best stuff.

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:45 PM)

Dreamworks's best movies will always be the Dragons movies and The Prince of Egypt.

@  TM2-Megatron : (26 March 2017 - 02:40 PM)

Usually I'm willing to give animated films a go, but I have to agree this looked pretty terrible and I had no desire to see it

@  Patchouli Kn... : (26 March 2017 - 02:40 PM)

So it's the new "Bee Movie?"

@  Evac : (26 March 2017 - 02:16 PM)

Calling it now: it'll be a meme in ten years.

@  Paladin : (26 March 2017 - 02:07 PM)

every single person who said "yes" to BOSS BABY should be smacked. repeatedly. with adamantium.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 06:02 AM)

Yeah, I don't sync my Twitter since it's irrelevant to a TF forum and sometimes NSFW.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 06:00 AM)

Ah, okay. I... don't know if that's a good idea or not. I post a lot of cats.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 05:50 AM)

I believe it will auto post anything you put on Twitter/Facebook to the Status section on the main forum page?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 05:41 AM)

And I totally miss Krispy Kreme. I mean, they're still around here, but nowhere I don't have to go well out of my way for any more. =(

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 March 2017 - 05:40 AM)

"i think you can sync profiles from both to this site." Not clear on what that means.

@  MEDdMI : (26 March 2017 - 05:04 AM)

:D I'm glad I have people and sheep who are willing to eat doughnuts for me.

@  Bass X0 : (26 March 2017 - 04:48 AM)

YOU'RE ALREADY CRAZY, MR. "I AM SHRAPNEL, DECEPTICON HERO"!!

@  Waspinator : (26 March 2017 - 04:45 AM)

DON'T MIND IF I DO

@  WorkbenchManiac : (26 March 2017 - 04:07 AM)

Go crazy?

@  Waspinator : (26 March 2017 - 03:31 AM)

No TV and no beer make Homer something something

@  TheMightyMol... : (26 March 2017 - 02:18 AM)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.

@  Foffy the Sheep : (26 March 2017 - 01:27 AM)

Then again, I'd hate to fill up on Krispy Kremes right before dinner. What if I just bite his face off instead?

@  Foffy the Sheep : (26 March 2017 - 12:49 AM)

Yup.

@  OrionPax44 : (26 March 2017 - 12:48 AM)

MED has a fool proof protection plan. Foffy and I will eat all the Krispy Kreme donuts that stand in here way. Right Foffy?

@  Telly : (26 March 2017 - 12:08 AM)

*throws a krispy kreme* bite that! :p

@  Foffy the Sheep : (25 March 2017 - 11:59 PM)

Anyone who was going to try use MED's weaknessses against her would have to go through me first. And I'm warning you, I bite.

@  Telly : (25 March 2017 - 11:17 PM)

we now know meddmis weakness *rubs hands together sinisterly*

@  MEDdMI : (25 March 2017 - 04:44 PM)

My friends and I sold them in college for fundraising. We often had boxes of them sitting around. I can still smell them. I won't be touching them again unless I'm forced to.

@  OrionPax44 : (25 March 2017 - 02:37 PM)

I love love love the hot Krispy Kreme donuts. They opened one in my area and for the first few weeks there was a line out the door of people waiting for hot donuts.

@  wonko the sane? : (25 March 2017 - 02:33 PM)

OFF WITH HIS HEAD! Whoa... okay, that was a total over reaction. What I meant to say was... OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!

@  D Immortalis : (25 March 2017 - 12:52 PM)

honestly i'm not much of fan of Krispy Kreme.

@  Hg Dragon : (25 March 2017 - 12:11 PM)

Who DOESN'T want Krispy Kreme?!?!

@  Noideaforaname : (25 March 2017 - 11:12 AM)

Diabetes? Pftt. I'm a survivor!

@  wonko the sane? : (25 March 2017 - 11:04 AM)

But diabetes tastes so goooodddd....

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 March 2017 - 09:06 AM)

Nah, I can do without diabetes.

@  Bass X0 : (25 March 2017 - 08:37 AM)

So... who wants Krispy Kreme donuts?

@  Paladin : (25 March 2017 - 06:50 AM)

i think you can sync profiles from both to this site.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (25 March 2017 - 05:04 AM)

So I'm looking around at my settings at the moment, and I'm noticing "Manage Facebook" and "Manage Twitter," but I have to log in with those to see anything. What do those offer?

@  Robowang : (24 March 2017 - 04:38 PM)

Thanks.

@  Jalaguy : (24 March 2017 - 03:38 PM)

A gun was definitely jumped, we'll make sure it doesn't happen again. Big apology to everyone who wanted to stay spoiler-free.

@  ▲ndrusi : (24 March 2017 - 03:08 PM)

Oh hey the news post in question turned up on my Tumblr dash, too. Thanks for that. Thanks a lot.

Photo

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage each getting a netflix series, culminating in a "Defenders" mini-series!

Holy Crap

994 replies to this topic

#41 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

shippididoo

• Supporter
  • 48884 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

I don't remember seeing posts after Batman begins asking why Batman wasn't cast non-white since he knew kung-fu

maybe I'm just resentful because I had to give up break dancing when I was told I was I white guy and shouldn't try to be good at things from other cultures.

lot of racism up here back in the day.  

You must have Signatures turned on

#42 Rust

Rust

EXTRA THICK

• Supporter
  • 40719 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

The obvious answer is to get Keith Carradine to play Iron Fist's mentor.

Numbers 24:17
lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#43 Detour

Detour

People.... What a bunch of bastards!

• Supporter
  • 19779 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

I don't remember seeing posts after Batman begins asking why Batman wasn't cast non-white since he knew kung-fu

maybe I'm just resentful because I had to give up break dancing when I was told I was I white guy and shouldn't try to be good at things from other cultures.

lot of racism up here back in the day.  

Well, maybe it has to do with the fact that while the League Of Shadows was located in Asia, it wasn't a strictly asian culture and had agents of all makes of life and was even run by an irish dude with an arabian name that had an asian guy pretend to be him to throw a shocking swerve at the viewer.

And even then, we're getting into DC territory, who're even worse than Marvel at having good asian heroes amongst them. Marvel at least has Shang-Chi, Sunfire, Jubilee and a bunch of others, but DC just has Katana, and then there's all these other martial arts dudes who're all totes white, like Richard Dragon and Batman and his Bat-pals....

They had Ryan Choi too, but for a ridiculously short time before killing him off so his white-dude predecessor could come back to be the Atom again.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#44 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

shippididoo

• Supporter
  • 48884 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:51 PM

I've always swung more toward the 'make more good not-white characters' then the "make more good white characters -not" group.

I just can't see the problem ... is it wrong for a non-white kid to admire the exploits of a white superhero?

... cause on that score ...I don't think any of us should be following transformers anymore

#45 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

It's not about him knowing Kung-Fu, it's about him being the great white savior of another race. No one needs that. Either change the race or change the story.

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#46 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 19779 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

It's the horrible implications of the thing. This ancient asian culture with legends of a chosen one, and it turns out the chosen one is the Aryanest mothertrumpeter ever.

Can you seriously not get that?

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#47 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50325 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

I just can't see the problem ... is it wrong for a non-white kid to admire the exploits of a white superhero?

Of course not.

And if they want to admire the exploits of a white superhero they have HUNDREDS to choose from.

So yeah, there is absolutely no reason for him to still be a white guy given the year, the demographics, and his origin.

card-strongarm.jpg

#48 Devcon

Devcon

Notable, apparently

• Retired Staff
  • 11239 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

I've seen that and I really don't like it.

This, however, I would pay to see...

jU0xK0J.jpg

ALL OF MY MONEY. ALL OF IT.

With many thanks to Alex Milne for the new Dragnet Avatar!

#49 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 3328 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

*yawn*

Ironbite-Call me when Deadpool reverts back to..,.,wait.  Defenders?  DARKHAWK!?

I want to see a live action Darkhawk SO BADLY.

I still think he'd make a great addition to Agents of Shield as well,  but it would tickle me to no end to see the character get some sort of spotlight in any live action Marvel project

#50 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Darkhawk was one of the stranger attempts at recreating the magic of Peter Parker. It never really hooked me, even when he was a Warrior.

#51 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 19779 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

My only exposure to Darkhawk was with Amazing Spider-Man: Friends And Enemies. Which is the last thing you'd want to be remembered for.

#52 Aberration

Aberration
  • Citizen
  • 2421 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:42 PM

The obvious answer is to get Keith Carradine to play Iron Fist's mentor.

I think you meant David Carradine, star of both Kung Fu TV series.  But then again, I just learned that he's no longer with us, so I guess Keith would have to do.

It's the horrible implications of the thing. This ancient asian culture with legends of a chosen one, and it turns out the chosen one is the Aryanest mothertrumpeter ever.

Can you seriously not get that?

I really want the next movie with this trope to have someone say this line verbatim.

#53 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 32105 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:00 PM

Well legends don't usually say what color, creed, and sex the chosen one will be. Prophecies and such tend to be really vague.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#54 Sockie

Sockie
  • Citizen
  • 1602 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

*yawn*

Ironbite-Call me when Deadpool reverts back to..,.,wait.  Defenders?  DARKHAWK!?

Do you mean Nighthawk? I don't think Darkhawk was ever a Defender.

#55 Ironbite

Ironbite

Let's clear this with no continues

• Supporter
  • 22430 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Did I stutter?  Did I attempt to write Nighthawk at all?  No.  I meant mother hugging Darkhawk.

Ironbite-because I want my killer cyborg android raptor thing on live tv damn it.

IBanimated.gif

darkmatchsmall.jpg

#56 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

shippididoo

• Supporter
  • 48884 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

Darkhawk would be awesome.

okay, so it's the fact that a prophetic assumption turned out to not be true... which the people who had the prophecy all that time, seem to be okay with.. that you guys think needs to be changed.  I'm following this, i just don't see one outcome being better than the other.

Danny is a white guy ... are we having the Peter Parker /Spider-man thing again just with magic tossed in?

3 options:

Danny stays Ironfist and white

Danny stays Ironfist and isn't white

Ironfist is a different person.

since I like the character as is, 2 of those options 'feel' better to me for adaptation. However I understand that this is not 616 the tv show and I'm a huge fan of how Nick Fury's character has maintained -regardless of his race. So I happily admit it can/ has/ and like would be done marvelously in this scenario as well... I'm just not convinced it has to.     

#57 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 19779 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:38 AM

okay, so it's the fact that a prophetic assumption turned out to not be true... which the people who had the prophecy all that time, seem to be okay with..

Yeah, because the writer says they are. Doesn't magically make all the implications disappear.

I'm just not convinced it has to.

If Heimdall hasn't convinced you, I'm starting to think nothing will.

#58 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

I swear to god I will only going to post this once. If you still don't get it then it's on you.

For centuries. have been inundated with tales of a white person, usually male, showing up to save the natives/minorities/foreign culture from themselves/ancient prophecy/outside force. It's a tale as old as Europeans discovering they could travel.

It even goes beyond that. Stories HAVE to be told from the white perspective in order for people to listen. The Help was a great movie but at the same time does it really need to be told from perspective of the white girl that ends up being the only one that could help them?

I haven't seen The Impossible because it centers on the one white family in the middle of a foreign land. With all the pain and loss that area went through they chose this story, based on true events or not, to center on this one family.

It's tiresome. It's old. If really damn insulting.

Is Danny Rands race actually important? Does his background as a white kid really reflect on who he is as Iron Fist? No? Then change it and stop promoting more of these insulting stories. Stop showing every other race as some bunch of infants in need of saving.

#59 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Staff
  • 50325 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:18 AM

So I happily admit it can/ has/ and like would be done marvelously in this scenario as well... I'm just not convinced it has to.

It doesn't *have* to no but realistically the only reason a character with that background/origin would be the white son of a wealthy white billionaire would be because "it's like that in the comics".

Which I hope we can all agree is a stupid reason to keep something.

Edited by MrBlud, 08 November 2013 - 04:21 AM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#60 Zodberg

Zodberg

The doctor is in.

• Citizen
  • 14951 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

Change the race, keep the nationality.

It's not "He's white", it's "He's the same color as the audience."

And the audience has changed, so has he.

On the other hand, having an asian guy team up with a black guy? Sorry, I'd rather watch Lethal Weapon than Rush Hour.

Like Daredevil, I actually don't think any of this matters and I'm just waiting to see who the announced directors and show-runners are.

Woooo!

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holy Crap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users