Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Telly : (27 February 2017 - 01:10 AM)

i didnt. not until '83 anyway :thumbsup

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 01:00 AM)

Yeah, that was a hard one to take. So many nerds from '77 on must've grown up having a crush on her

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:34 AM)

I mean, I knew it was coming, but just hearing Carrie say "May the Force be with you" hurt :(

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:32 AM)

They always save the saddest deaths for last in the "in memoriam" sequence.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:30 AM)

I am glad they made the right choice with Best Animated, even if it was a tough call this year.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:28 AM)

I remember him from the old days on Breaker High airing on YTV

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:28 AM)

Also, Ryan Gosling. Ugh, go #### yourself Ryan Gosling, with your perfect bone structure

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 February 2017 - 12:26 AM)

Since there's way more nominees than winners in every category that's not exactly unusual.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:25 AM)

Even then, I think it lost more nominations than it won.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:24 AM)

I think the reason La La Land won so many awards is because it was basically Hollywood stroking its own ego

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:20 AM)

Kinda glad. I like Emma Stone, but for whatever reason I can't stand that movie. I'm surprised it didn't win though, as it was typical Oscar bait

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:19 AM)

This is just goddamn surreal.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:19 AM)

Holy shit. It had the second-most nominations of any movie, and La La Land just lost Best Picture.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:11 AM)

"Look where I've been, I make everything happen! Look at that mean Mini Maui just tikkity tappin'! Ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HEY!"

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:10 AM)

Yeah, same. "You're Welcome" is honestly the best song in the movie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (27 February 2017 - 12:06 AM)

I liked the Moana song, though personally I enjoyed You're Welcome a little bit more because of the humor.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:04 AM)

Ah, well. As much as him not getting an Oscar hurts, Lin-Manuel has a shitload of awards already, so missing out on one isn't too bad. The guy managed to hit the jackpot with the Tonys for Hamilton and win a Grammy for it and get an Emmy... Somewhere. Don't know where he got the Emmy.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:02 AM)

@NVK: I realize that, but I still don't like that a terrible Zak Snyder film managed to even get an award.

@  ShadowMan024 : (27 February 2017 - 12:00 AM)

Look, I can understand The Force Awakens not getting a single award. Hell, I can even understand why Transformers lost to The Golden Compass.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (27 February 2017 - 12:00 AM)

But Moana and Suicide Squad weren't nominated for the same things.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 11:47 PM)

We officially live in a world where a film involving Zak Snyder is apparently more deserving of an award than Lin-Manuel Miranda.

@  TM2-Megatron : (26 February 2017 - 10:58 PM)

I was pretty shocked Star Trek Beyond lost out in Best Makeup to Suicide Squad. Killer Croc looked good, but Trek had a lot of good alien makeup

@  Maruten : (26 February 2017 - 10:36 PM)

I was surprised to see that everyone's so into La La Land. On paper it seems right up my alley, but I thought it was pretty... meh.

@  ▲ndrusi : (26 February 2017 - 09:38 PM)

I read that as EPCOT status

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 09:26 PM)

I have a sinking feeling La La Land is going to win Best Song and keep Lin-Manuel Miranda from achieving EGOT status.

@  Echowarrior : (26 February 2017 - 07:12 PM)

Our Hydra is better than Marvel's Hydra. Just saying.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 07:05 PM)

ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CONCH!

@  TriBlurr : (26 February 2017 - 07:03 PM)

Hail Hydra!

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 06:22 PM)

Don't we still have Hydra?

@  Verno : (26 February 2017 - 06:10 PM)

There was always the chance we had some Japanese members on the board.

@  Confuzor : (26 February 2017 - 06:01 PM)

I got my MP Primal pretty quickly, but I haven't sent the payment confirmation on my Cheetor yet

@  Paladin : (26 February 2017 - 05:32 PM)

he's been out what, 3 days? Most shipping methods aren't THAT fast...

@  Verno : (26 February 2017 - 04:52 PM)

Does anyone have MP Cheetor in hand yet?

@  Confuzor : (26 February 2017 - 03:11 PM)

Y'all need more Rocko's Modern Life

@  Noideaforaname : (26 February 2017 - 11:04 AM)

I remember watching Doug all the time as a kid, but I watch it now and I don't at all see the appeal. *shrug* On the plus side, it added the word "nematode" to my vocabulary.

@  Paladin : (26 February 2017 - 10:47 AM)

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/835877002192306176 ...game over, man. :(

@  unluckiness : (26 February 2017 - 09:25 AM)

better than the current ones at least

@  Rycochet : (26 February 2017 - 09:08 AM)

90s Nicktoons were awful.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 08:16 AM)

Yeah, I'd get really pumped to watch it and the other Nicktoons.

@  lastmaximal : (26 February 2017 - 08:04 AM)

You digdug?

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:40 AM)

Hate watching stuff like that.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:40 AM)

Also, I digged Doug. Mostly for the ancillary characters, though. Doug himself is one of those characters who gets into situations that make YOU feel embarrassd. Like Fred Savage on The Wonder Years.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:39 AM)

@PlutoniumBoss *Pinwheel fistbump*

@  LBD "Nyt... : (26 February 2017 - 07:38 AM)

I remember Today's Special. The Toronto part was something of a revelation from my wife and her family when I came here.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 02:34 AM)

In hindsight, I'm pretty sure Miss Frizzle was a Time Lord.

@  ShadowMan024 : (26 February 2017 - 02:34 AM)

I got into science because of Magic School Bus.

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 February 2017 - 11:25 PM)

Anyone else remember Puttnam's Prairie Emporium? Not sure if it aired outside Canada

@  TM2-Megatron : (25 February 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Today's Special was a favourite of mine. Some of it was actually filmed at a department store here in Toronto

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 February 2017 - 10:34 PM)

Eureka! and Start Here were awesome too.

@  The Doctor Who : (25 February 2017 - 09:59 PM)

I remember watching Newton's Apple on PBS. That's where I learned about thermal insulation layers and why things change temperature faster when you blow on them.

Photo

Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage each getting a netflix series, culminating in a "Defenders" mini-series!

Holy Crap

935 replies to this topic

#1 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 9964 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

Disney's Marvel and Netflix Join Forces to Develop Historic Four Series Epic plus a Mini-Series Event Based on Renowned Marvel Characters

Landmark Deal Brings Marvel’s Flawed Heroes of Hell’s Kitchen, led by "Daredevil," to the World’s Leading Internet TV Network in 2015

Burbank, Calif. - Nov 7, 2013—The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel's most popular characters exclusively to the world's leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a mini-series programming event.

Led by a series focused on "Daredevil," followed by "Jessica Jones," "Iron Fist" and "Luke Cage," the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell's Kitchen, New York.  Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel's "The Defenders" mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

"This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel's brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty," said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. "This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what's sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure."

"Marvel’s movies, such as 'Iron Man' and 'Marvel’s The Avengers,' are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels," said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. "With 'House of Cards' and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we're thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude."

This new original TV deal follows last year's landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm.  Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.

About The Walt Disney Company

The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international entertainment and media enterprise with five business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. Disney is a Dow 30 company and had annual revenues of $42.3 billion in its Fiscal Year 2012.

About Netflix

Netflix is the world's leading Internet television network with over 40 million members in more than 40 countries enjoying more than one billion hours of TV shows and movies per month, including original series. For one low monthly price, Netflix members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on nearly any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.

Source: http://marvel.com/ne...ni-series_event

Not sure why they're using the "Defenders" name instead of "Heroes for Hire" or even "New Avengers" but it's still pretty awesome.

Edited by Undead Scottsman, 07 November 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#2 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

This, my freinds, is literally everything I have been asking for. Daredevil. Alias. Heroes for Hire. Defender. On Netflix. Is it my birthday?!?!

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#3 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Along with the Disney deal in general, this is Netflix firmly planting their flag and daring Amazon Prime to show up.

#4 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14158 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

This, my freinds, is literally everything I have been asking for. Daredevil. Alias. Heroes for Hire. Defender. On Netflix. Is it my birthday?!?!

I don't know why Marvel didn't go this route for their ABC series? Go with limited series. Low risk, high reward. Also, it's so much easier to do street level heroes. With Agents of SHIELD we expect so much more. 

Yep.

#5 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

I don't know why Marvel didn't go this route for their ABC series? Go with limited series. Low risk, high reward. Also, it's so much easier to do street level heroes. With Agents of SHIELD we expect so much more. 

Meh, I'm glad they didn't. Screw network television, it's too safe.

#6 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Staff
  • 10439 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

...who the heck is Jessica Jones?

photo 1446489_1420344741314_full_zps63gobam0.jpg

#7 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14158 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

If you don't think they're still going to go safe on Netflix I think you're in for a disappointment. They've got a brand to protect and they're probably not going to break the "PG-13-ish" barrier they've created. Then again, we could just wait and find out. Casting for this is going to be crazy.

Yep.

#8 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

...who the heck is Jessica Jones?

Star of the book Alias. Seek it out and read that sucker, it's truly amazing.

If you don't think they're still going to go safe on Netflix I think you're in for a disappointment. They've got a brand to protect and they're probably not going to break the "PG-13-ish" barrier they've created. Then again, we could just wait and find out. Casting for this is going to be crazy.

I'm not talking about simple garbage like "PG-13ish". I'm not asking for buckets of blood or violence beyond reason. That's not at all what I'm talking about.

Shield is safe in that it takes ZERO risks with the characters. Everything is super sanitized and broken down to its most simple premise in that show. There is no nuance at all unlike what we see in the films. It's very ABC Network Television.

Stepping away from ABC is nothing but a good thing as they won't be held to that kind of nonsense.

All a moot point anyway BECAUSE I'M GETTING WHAT I WANT MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#9 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14533 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

On the one hand cool news. More Marvel, and more Marvel building to a shared Universe (even one not connected to the Movie-verse) is a very cool thing.

On the other hand I've never had much interest in any of these characters. Ok, Jessica Jones is kinda cool in her Jem-esque 1980s Jewel persona, but other than that they're kinda characters that have always bored me.

I'll still check em out of course.

-ZavWilliam, It makes sense for them to use the Defenders name, because it's a stronger heroic name and reminiscent of "Avengers" but at the same time it makes me just a little sad as I'm fond of the classic Comic style Defenders which these guys really aren't.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#10 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

The Defenders were never a set team, they are just whoever happens to team up on that day.

#11 Ironbite

Ironbite

The King is here

• Supporter
  • 22250 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

*yawn*

Ironbite-Call me when Deadpool reverts back to..,.,wait.  Defenders?  DARKHAWK!?

IBanimated.gif

darkmatchsmall.jpg

#12 Random Items

Random Items

• Staff
  • 10439 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'll look into this 'Alias' business. I've heard of the book... I guess with the other Alias show being a thing, they can't call this that.

The Defenders were never a set team, they are just whoever happens to team up on that day.

I'd like to see a Hulk/Dr Strange/Silver Surfer/Namor team... but with the way the rights are currently split, it's none too likely.

#13 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14533 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

Recently maybe, but there's a pretty definitive Classic Defenders line up: Hulk, Namor, Silver Surfer, and Dr Strange as the big names, guys like Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Hellcat and Gargoyle as the lesser names. The roster was classicly fluid, as Avengers is, but they definitely established a stable of characters who are "Defenders."

-ZacWilliam, now in the Modern comics it's definitely been more open as Marvel has struggled and failed to relaunch them with different concepts, but for me at least the Defenders will always be the Classic Silver Age team.

#14 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14533 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

*yawn*

Ironbite-Call me when Deadpool reverts back to..,.,wait.  Defenders?  DARKHAWK!?

? Who said anything about Darkhawk? Did I miss something? (I mean he's perfect for this sort of concept but if they're considering him I havn't seen it)

-ZacWilliam, and I'm pretty sure by "Defenders" they just mean they are calling the Team of Daredevil, Jessica, Power Man and Iron Fist that.

#15 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

I hear ya, I do, I just don't think it needs to be a thing right now. Nor do I think it can when two of those guys are owned by Fox, one is solidly an Avenger and another, according to rumors, is being set up to be the next Iron Man.

#16 Random Items

Random Items

• Staff
  • 10439 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

and another, according to rumors, is being set up to be the next Iron Man.

....what.

#17 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 14533 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

I hear ya, I do, I just don't think it needs to be a thing right now. Nor do I think it can when two of those guys are owned by Fox, one is solidly an Avenger and another, according to rumors, is being set up to be the next Iron Man.

Oh I know, I don't think it's viable in live action right now at all. It's just a bit of a let down seeing the name of a team I like used for an entirely different team that's much less interesting to me. But yeah, the "Classic" line up is unlikely and the name is more Heroic and has more potential than "Heroes for Hire" so I can totally understand why Marvel would go with it. 

-ZacWilliam, it's fair use, it's just sort of like if Marvel used the old villain Black Knight in a future film I'd be a bit sad as the Heroic Avenger by that name is a favorite of mine. 

#18 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

• Retired Staff
  • 48441 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

....what.

Downey is only doing Iron Man in two more Avengers films. They need to fine the next big draw and what it seems like is they are preparing to make Doctor Strange that guy. They just have to cast him perfectly.

#19 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 9964 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Namor is under Universal, not Fox.  Just a FYI.

#20 Random Items

Random Items

• Staff
  • 10439 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

....what.

Downey is only doing Iron Man in two more Avengers films. They need to fine the next big draw and what it seems like is they are preparing to make Doctor Strange that guy. They just have to cast him perfectly.

Oh, yeah. I knew all that, but your phrasing made me think they were planning Stephen Strange as the next guy in the Iron Man armor.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holy Crap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users