Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (15 December 2019 - 10:51 AM)

Hey, at least you baked a cake in the bathroom. Not many can attest to that. :p

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Nope. Forgot entirely, had to make another trip.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 December 2019 - 04:04 PM)

Well, did you get water?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 December 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Went to the bathroom, shaved, baked a cake... wait, I only got up to get some water...

@  unluckiness : (14 December 2019 - 09:01 AM)

That's a common misconception. You see compared to the first run, it's a new mold.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (14 December 2019 - 03:27 AM)

Wouldn't that just add packaging authenticity? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2019 - 01:44 AM)

I read a anecdote of someone recently receiving a Glacialord with mold because apparently online stores' warehouses have been sitting on Fansproject products like that for years.

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

Photo

City of Titans (was Project Phoenix Kickstarter)

27 replies to this topic

#1 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17117 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

City of Titans, the fan-run game intended to be a successor to City of Heroes.

Several of the people involved in running this are long-time friends of mine, so I trust that this is an honest attempt by people with at least some clue how the industry works. icon-hotrod.gif

---Dave

Edited by Dvandom, 03 August 2016 - 08:04 PM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#2 Devcon

Devcon

'Sup?

• Retired Staff
  • 11869 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

Was about to post this myself. Been following this for a while, hoping that they reach the goal.
From the Page of Cage!

#3 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Lots of smoke and mirrors in that video.

Good on them though for getting as far as they have, though 320,000 is very, very, VERY little for what you need to create an MMO. Especially after reading that after paying the fees for everything, it's only 180,000.

I see this going no where if they can make their goal.
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#4 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

I want Phoenix Project to succeed, but the Kickstarter goal indicates what I've long feared - ignorance of what it takes to build something as complex as a MMO from the ground up. Plus it's assuming the Volunteers will remain Volunteers as the project reaches completion. I foresee a lot of legal fights in the future if the game is successful to the point it's banking rather then simply covering operational costs because the question then becomes who gets the money?

I miss City of Heroes dearly, and Phoenix Project is a lot more down to earth then it's counterpart - Heroes and Villains - in terms of operational realities, but they're still really lowballing the price tag and the final name for the project just feels really uninspired, to boot.

I really, really hope they can make this game a reality but there's still so much work to do.

Edited by Rust, 02 October 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17117 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

If you read the whole page, this is basically a "get it far enough to start selling subscriptions" kickstarter. They plan for it to be self-supporting once it gets going, but the kickstarter is to cover basic startup (license the Unreal engine, get software to let them get the work done by 2015 instead of by 2020). There are gaming industry veterans involved, they're not ignorant of the costs involved. They're simply not trying to kickstart the entire cost.

---Dave
DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#6 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

yeah...

I'm curious who the industry vets are and their experience. The only ones I saw that had 'experience' on their page looked like members of the community or QA department. If they honestly had veterans, then that should be a selling point on their page.

Any vet worth their salt wouldn't start with the Cry Engine for an MMO.

Also, 180K for software like 3d max is not right either. A single license for Max is roughly 3,700. 180k will buy you 50 seats. That's not unreasonable for an MMO sized team, but still, this doesn't seem right to me. All your money should go to programmers and servers if you're making an MMO.

Plus, what does 'get it far enough to start selling subscriptions' mean? To me that would mean there would have to be a demo at least. A demo would have to have major systems completed. After that it's all about building content. That's where you're subscription money will go.
-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#7 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17117 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

That $180,000 is mostly going straight to software.

Autodesk's Maya and 3DS Max. They’re not cheap, and we need them to do the work. Each of them has strengths and weaknesses, and we need at least 24 copies for the art and tech teams to be able to do their jobs. There are several different versions, each targeting different levels of needs, and the 24 total copies are split between the various members to their need, based on the tasks they have.

We’ll need multiple copies of a few tools like zbrush, Allegorithmic, 8DIO, Photoshop and Illustrator.

Then we have the costs for the website servers and bandwidth. The more you love us, the more expensive it’s going to get.

And, finally, a little cash to put a tax lawyer, book keeper and legal professional on retainer. Purely fee for service, but they will pay for themselves in troubles solved and money saved.

There are a few smaller items, such as RAM for some rendering, some 3D mice, drawing tablets, depending on individual artist needs.

It's not $180K for 3DMax alone. There's also Autodesk, no clue how expensive that is, but they say it's not cheap. They're looking for 24 sets of software, because that's how many people they have working on stuff.

---Dave

Edited by Dvandom, 02 October 2013 - 06:45 PM.

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#8 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 2 2013, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That $180,000 is mostly going straight to software.

Autodesk's Maya and 3DS Max. They?re not cheap, and we need them to do the work. Each of them has strengths and weaknesses, and we need at least 24 copies for the art and tech teams to be able to do their jobs. There are several different versions, each targeting different levels of needs, and the 24 total copies are split between the various members to their need, based on the tasks they have.

We?ll need multiple copies of a few tools like zbrush, Allegorithmic, 8DIO, Photoshop and Illustrator.

Then we have the costs for the website servers and bandwidth. The more you love us, the more expensive it?s going to get.

And, finally, a little cash to put a tax lawyer, book keeper and legal professional on retainer. Purely fee for service, but they will pay for themselves in troubles solved and money saved.

There are a few smaller items, such as RAM for some rendering, some 3D mice, drawing tablets, depending on individual artist needs.

It's not $180K for 3DMax alone. There's also Autodesk, no clue how expensive that is, but they say it's not cheap. They're looking for 24 sets of software, because that's how many people they have working on stuff.

---Dave

Autodesk makes 3d max...

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#9 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

Ultimately, it's a blue sky project whose primary selling point is people who badly want City of Heroes back.

I'm one of those people, but even I know that's not the way you make a game.

#10 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6357 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

I was pretty excited about this until I read through the Kickstarter page and found a surprising lack of details on features. I mean... are they just pitching it from the standpoint that they're going to ape City of Heroes/Villains and that's all we need to know? I'd like to back this, but as is I'm going to just wait until 2015.

#11 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE(Teufel @ Oct 9 2013, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mean... are they just pitching it from the standpoint that they're going to ape City of Heroes/Villains and that's all we need to know?

That's not a bug - it's a feature.

Both City of Titans and Heroes and Villains aren't trying to break the mold here. They were both started with the intent of recreating City of Heroes as close as possible without warranting legal action from NCSoft.

#12 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6357 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

I suppose as someone who found City of Villains unnecessary and lost interest in City of Heroes in general after several months of regular play the idea of just recreating CoH was a little disappointing.

#13 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32921 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

Just recreating CoX is not what's going on with ANY of the 3 in-progress successors.

It may or may not fly, but please, let's not mis-characterize it.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

Oh come on, you can't tell me looking at the CoT Concept art that they aren't heavily aping Atlas Park there. Like I've said, I want this project to succeed, but I'm going in with both eyes open. They've talked heavily about the various storylines for various classes, but I'll believe those when I see them.

You can promise anything when the game isn't anywhere near completion but once deadlines start coming down around you...it'll be interesting how many of these features they promise get into the game and how many are willingly left to the wayside in order to get out something with the "Feel" of City of Heroes. That's ultimately what they're concerned about and that's what the game is going to use as its foundation.

Edited by Rust, 26 October 2013 - 04:02 AM.

#15 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32921 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I don't consider "evoking" the same as "aping", but then I may simply be taking umbrage at Teuful's negative dismissal.

Now, that said, I honestly don't expect much of anything to ever truly materialize from any of the 3 Phoenix Project efforts, and I really haven't since day one. As far as I've been able to discern, very few of the people involved have any experience in the PC gaming industry. The projects are all long on hope, dreams, and talent, and short on expertise, manpower, and capital, and these are the primary reasons why I didn't get directly involved myself.

Honestly, our best shot at seeing something like CoX return would come with NCSoft's release of the IP and related properties, and who knows if they'll ever sell it. Their history at this point leans strongly towards "don't hold your breath."

Edited by CORVUS, 26 October 2013 - 12:08 PM.

“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#16 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17117 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:04 PM

I knew if I looked back far enough I'd find an existing thread.  Will edit thread title in a second.

City of Titans proceeds apace, if not yet ready for alpha.  But Missing Worlds Media seeks to actually be a media company beyond just publishing one game (or just games), and we're launching the first step in that with a Patreon-backed superhero webcomic set in the City of Titans universe: HiJinx!

I created the character and wrote a few test strips, but I couldn't commit to regular writing, so we found someone who actually does write comics as a professional and hired them to do the writing.  :)

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#17 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17117 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

There doesn't seem to be a City of Heroes thread anymore.

NCSort MOBA Master X Master adds Statesman.

This is a post-CoH Statesman, the Tyrant version having redeemed himself during the Battalion invasion and taking up his old mantle.  I hear there's no American release planned for MXM, but this little bit suggests NCSoft is uninterested in ever releasing the IP to another company.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#18 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:03 PM

While I still have a knee jerk negative reaction to all things NCSoft, I have to admit that's a very clever means of "reviving" Statesman.

#19 Dvandom

Dvandom

• Supporter
  • 17117 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:17 AM

Well, the storyline was planned for CoH, NCSoft took it pretty much directly from the Lore Dumps and tacked on "and then he went to MOBA-world".

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#20 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46598 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:41 AM

Man I miss CoX.

I want to run the Shooting Stars quest chain again.

EDIT: I miss my boys.

1h2W99x.jpg

WZA6akH.jpg

Edited by Rust, 22 March 2017 - 06:54 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users