Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

In case anyone's wondering.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Also, she pronounces her own name "Zuh-see".

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I think I'd read a while back she was born in Berlin

@  TM2-Megatron : (20 September 2019 - 03:04 PM)

I thought Zazie Beetz was really fantastic in Deadpool 2. Really looking forward to seeing her in Joker.

@  Liege : (20 September 2019 - 12:05 PM)

Any sightings of Ratchet at U.S. Walgreens yet? A couple of stores around me have recently restocked their toy aisles but no Ratchets yet at those ones.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:54 AM)

You don't even hear a hint of an accent, and she only very rarely chooses some odd wording where she probably wasn't familiar with the more appropriate alternative due to its relative obscurity.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:41 AM)

Just watched what's possibly the most relaxed interview ever of a German Youtuber interviewing Zazie while walking around Berlin. Turns out she was born in Berlin and spent quite some time in Germany.

@  Nevermore : (20 September 2019 - 03:39 AM)

Actors and actresses I had no idea speak fluent German, part 4.231: Zazie Beetz from Deadpool 2.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:14 PM)

It's too bad it's like this because some of what they're doing with tiny cars is pretty cool, but I'm not willing to sign up for that f-ing hassle.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:13 PM)

At this point I'm trying to decide how much of a markup I'm willing to pay some scalper scum or if I should just say to hell with it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 September 2019 - 02:11 PM)

That is pretty much the constant story with Hot Wheels. Anything you might actually want has most likely been picked clean and marked up.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM)

I've been watching some Youtube Hot Wheels videos out of boredom and discovered there exists a new car that just came out maybe a month ago that looks just like one I had when I was little, and I've been looking around hoping to get it. Slim picking everywhere, but online there are a slew of sellers asking for 3 and 4x the retail price, plus a hefty shipping markup.

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 01:59 PM)

Oh, that explains the problem I've encountered with finding one little car

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM)

Oh boy. I work at Target, and literally every single morning, there are two or three guys outside who make a beeline straight to the Hot Wheels.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 September 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Hot Wheels

@  Benbot : (18 September 2019 - 12:25 PM)

Which collecting community has the worst scalpers?

@  TM2-Megatron : (17 September 2019 - 09:55 PM)

I've never read the source material and don't know much about it, but I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, and found the second alright

@  Sabrblade : (17 September 2019 - 09:49 PM)

The first movie was definitely not for me. I flat out hated it. Didn't even bother with the sequel.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2019 - 05:02 PM)

I liked the first movie a lot and enjoyed the original volume of the book, and the way they were developed in parallel was really interesting. It all got super extra unpleasant as soon as they went back though. I don't remember really whether the initial sequels are "good" or not, but either way both the second movie and the second run of the book quickly demonstrated that the property sure wasn't for me.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2019 - 04:45 PM)

i have a real hard time offering praise of anything connected to an utter shitstain like Mark Millar.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2019 - 01:23 PM)

Kick Ass 2 was okay for what it was, a sequel to a film that was okay, just okay. It had a good performance from Nic Cage while the sequel had Jim Carrey who decided he didn't want to promote it after one of america's regularly scheduled massacres.

@  Benbot : (17 September 2019 - 12:20 PM)

Was Kick Ass 2 really that bad? I never got around to seeing it, but after watching the first movie again the other day, I'm thinking about it.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

Photo

Gotham

873 replies to this topic

#841 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Anymore than a short season and I think it would have been too prolonged.

This whole Jerome and his twin thing is a bit ridiculous.

As is anything from Barbara past the start of season 3.

ACItEK8.png

#842 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8011 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:26 PM

I'm bummed that the show won't be continuing as is (I had no idea about the ratings), but it's nice that they've been given this time to wrap things up.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#843 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11249 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:33 PM

Honestly, I feel it's kinda jumped the shark a bit this season.

The whole thing with Ed and Leslie, introducing Jeremiah because they'd written themselves into a corner with Jerome, apparently doing The Killing Joke with Cat. It all just feels like they're running out of ideas.

Edited by Cybersnark, 14 May 2018 - 06:33 PM.

#844 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8011 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:39 PM

I'm gonna go to my grave not understanding why Jerome couldn't have just been Joker.

If they never wanted to have Joker on the show, I'd get it. If they didn't have enough access to that actor, I'd get it. But this feels like the weirdest choice of both worlds.

I did a new video thing:

#845 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

They didn't want the character to be introduced right away and found that the actor was so good as the joker that how could they not. That and it's lazy to have the Joker but not have him the The Joker.

ACItEK8.png

#846 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28533 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:16 PM

If this show ends with Bruce becoming Batman, would this be the first time a story had Bruce first become Batman in his teen years instead of after having fully reached adulthood? (David Mazouz is currently Age 17)

Edited by Sabrblade, 14 May 2018 - 07:17 PM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#847 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8011 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

It'd be the first time I've heard of it happening. Although there has been speculation of a timeskip, following whatever the events of the season finale are.

I did a new video thing:

#848 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4560 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

Yeah, it really does feel like they're reaching the "climax point" where they either have to nut up and give us Batman...or they're going to start loosing audience and repeat the mess Smallville ended up being in dragging the narrative well beyond that point.  I'm a little surprised to hear the shortened season, but if they wrap things up well enough, I'll roll with it.  Still think we could have had another season with Bruce actually folding into his roll, but with a time skip?  They might be able to swing it.

I will say that I've largely enjoyed the series since season 3.  The first couple seasons seemed hampered by "lamp shading" every major Batman character and villain they could, almost to the point of distraction.  Since season 3?  They really seemed to embrace a sense of "crazy" that has greatly helped this series stand on its own (for good or ill).  While the reluctance to naming the Valenskas as "Joker" is a bit annoying, I can't deny they picked a HELL of an actor, who's managed to do not one but TWO fantastic interpretations of The Joker (and huge props to the costume department for 89 Joker callbacks to go with the script's "artist" callbacks).

#849 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4560 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:17 PM

Semi-related: Producers Bruno Heller and Danny Cannon got a 10 episode order from the channel EPIX for a new Batman prequel called "Pennyworth".

http://variety.com/2...rth-1202812429/

It will NOT be a Gotham spin-off or prequel, supposedly.

#850 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:59 PM

They didn't want the character to be introduced right away and found that the actor was so good as the joker that how could they not. That and it's lazy to have the Joker but not have him the The Joker.

I read about this after this post.

Joker was off limits due to the films. So they couldn't call someone that or even give a person green hair.

Seems another DC show limited to what they could do by other unrelated media.

ACItEK8.png

#851 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10440 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

I read about this after this post.

Joker was off limits due to the films. So they couldn't call someone that or even give a person green hair.

Seems another DC show limited to what they could do by other unrelated media.

That seems to have been the rule for a long while now. It's a stupid rule, too. Do DC and Warner Brothers think that their audience is so stupid that they can't tell the difference between one portrayal of a character or another?

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#852 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:27 AM

Apparently.

ACItEK8.png

#853 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28533 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:42 PM

The final season has begun.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#854 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10600 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:20 PM

I wonder how many more “not joker” origins we’re gonna get..

#855 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36388 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

I'm gonna go to my grave not understanding why Jerome couldn't have just been Joker.

If they never wanted to have Joker on the show, I'd get it. If they didn't have enough access to that actor, I'd get it. But this feels like the weirdest choice of both worlds.

Having cuaght up on the show, minus the current and final season: I thought this was a reference to the Multiple Joker theory. Where there are three canonical Jokers, that are similar but completely different in how  they do things. Basically the Over-the-top evil clown, the "Serious" mob boss, and the complete anarchist. Gotham gives us two Jokers that kinda follow that ideal. Jerome and Jeremiah are both essentially Joker, but complete different yet valid takes on how the Joker can be.

My only issue is the use of 'Jeremiah' just because of Batman already has a long standing antagonist by that name, Jeremiah Arkham/Black Mask. While they're not beholden to any characters of continuity, it just still feels odd. Like creating a character named Jarvis who has absolutely nothing to do with the Mad Hatter.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#856 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 28533 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:26 PM

My only issue is the use of 'Jeremiah' just because of Batman already has a long standing antagonist by that name, Jeremiah Arkham/Black Mask. While they're not beholden to any characters of continuity, it just still feels odd. Like creating a character named Jarvis who has absolutely nothing to do with the Mad Hatter.

Well, Batman fiction has already had two notable guys named 'Harvey' (Dent and Bullock), and at least Jeremiah has his own last name of 'Valeska' to distinguish himself from Black Mask.

Edited by Sabrblade, 24 February 2019 - 03:27 PM.

#857 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4116 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:54 AM

One thing to remember is that Warner Bros will not let Gotham use the name Joker in the the show.  This choice goes so far that Jerome can't have green hair, though in this case they have cheated a bit and given him really dark green hair and had his scenes with said hair color in areas with dark lighting to obfuscate that a bit.

Spoiler

I don't think we have heard the reason why for this rule, but it may be tied to the two Joker movies coming out.  This is a damn shame, since Cameron Monaghan has done a such great job with both versions of the character.

Been really enjoying this last season.  The arcs are pretty tight thanks to the reduced episode count, and we are seeing the final pieces fall into place.

#858 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

This is a rule that DC has had for years.  Extending back to Justice League Unlimited not being able to use any Batman characters except for Batman due to "The Batman" cartoon.

Might even extend further, as The New Adventures of Batman / Gotham Knights ended to make way for Batman Beyond.

ACItEK8.png

#859 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65631 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:15 AM

But that's just speculation on my part, as it's not like they had separate creative teams (as far as I know).

ACItEK8.png

#860 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10440 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 11:29 AM

This is a rule that DC has had for years.  Extending back to Justice League Unlimited not being able to use any Batman characters except for Batman due to "The Batman" cartoon.

Might even extend further, as The New Adventures of Batman / Gotham Knights ended to make way for Batman Beyond.

But that's just speculation on my part, as it's not like they had separate creative teams (as far as I know).

The Bat-Embargo began around the time of Justice League Unlimited, and unfortunately didn't extend to just Batman - Aquaman potentially getting his own show forced him to be dropped from the series, and ended up changing Black Manta into Devil Ray.

As far as Gotham Knights being forced to end in order to make Batman Beyond...I don't think so. Kids WB definitely wanted a series that was focused on a young Batman, but I think it was the decision of the production team to end the latter show before starting work on the former.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users