Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 04:39 PM)

They may have had it earlier than that; Risa uses weather control tech to maintain its resort-style climate, and it was shown to already be established in the late 22nd century

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 03:13 PM)

By next gen they had weather control on earth, and were even in the process of upgrading the geologic stability network. So yeah: habitat maintenance on the next level.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 December 2018 - 02:51 PM)

Something something invert polarity something technobabble something.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 02:38 PM)

I imagine World War III managed to decimate enough of the industrial economies that they inadvertently managed to exceed their carbon reduction targets from the Paris Accords, and then by the time Earth got back on its feet after the development of warp drive and first contact with the Vulcans, electricity was able to be generated cleanly and much more efficiently

@  The Doctor Who : (16 December 2018 - 01:48 PM)

I mean, they have futuristic weather control satellites and everything, I would imagine that global warming is a thing of the past in Trek.

@  unluckiness : (16 December 2018 - 09:39 AM)

How's that unrealistic? Not even the ocean wants it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

The most unrealistic thing (from a U.S. perspective) is that Florida isn't underwater!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

I was reminded today of a funny thing about Star Trek:

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:58 PM)

Whatever they can sell it for?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 December 2018 - 09:48 PM)

Geez, WTF do those China sellers on eBay need my phone number for?

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Does the PotP voyager Starscream's chest stick out so far in combiner torso mode? It's kinda weird how much Elita Infinite's back seems so empty up top but very... protruding lower down.

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 01:26 AM)

Trying to fit Elita One's combiner head back into her torso is a pain in the arse (and not just because her torso becomes her arse in combiner torso mode)

@  RichardT1977 : (14 December 2018 - 10:04 PM)

Power corrupts and corruption empowers.

@  Echowarrior : (14 December 2018 - 07:10 PM)

Welcome to real life...at least until enough people get fed up and they break out the guillotines.

@  Pennpenn : (14 December 2018 - 06:58 PM)

It's almost as if the people with the most money have funneled money into making the systems of government and law serve their purposes in retaining their wealth, no matter how harmful, counterintuitive, or just flat out evil they have to be. Huh.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/mother-jones-vandersloot-melaleuca-lawsuit/

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:45 PM)

Some states have laws against that, but they're in a tiny minority. There are plenty of cases where rich people have gone after journalists and their employers for accurate reporting, lost, but still left their targets saddled with hundreds of thousands ofdollars in legal fees and no hope of recovering anyof the money because a partisan judge has decreed that while they're innocent, they're not innocent enough.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:43 PM)

The american system is as bad, there are plenty of cases of billionaires or corporations filing libel suits purely to kill reporting or activisim against their activities. SLAPP suits. Strategic Lawsuits against public participation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:48 PM)

e.g. British libel laws place the burden of proof on the accuser, which is how we wind up with Emirati billionaires suing Western journalists in British courts

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:46 PM)

Never visited the UK in my life, but reading about British laws in the news gives me the vibe that British culture inherently protects the wealthy and established.

@  Anonymous X : (14 December 2018 - 12:39 PM)

Sounds a lot better than labour law in the UK. It's bare minimum standards here, you don't get any employment rights as such in the first two years of employment (and the employer can arbitrarily reset the clock). Unions are limited to a few public sector professions as well; in the private sector, there basically aren't any unions.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:25 PM)

Bonus points if your company has a works council. The employer is required by law to hear the works council prior to giving you your termination. The works council cannot prevent your termination if the employer really insists on going through with it, but if the employer failed to hear the works council, didn't wait for the works council to respond, or failed to tell the works council *all* the relevant details, the termination is legally invalid due to a technicality.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:23 PM)

The employer has to tell you the reason for your termination if you explicitly ask for it, and if you can prove the reason is factually incorrect, the employer may lose the case.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

For all its flaws, I really like a lot about our German labor law. Here, if you're under a permanent contract and have been continually employed for over six months, employers can only fire you for reasons that fall into one of three categories defined by law, and the burden of proof is on the employer's side in a potential court case.

@  Paladin : (13 December 2018 - 05:38 PM)

in brightest day or blackest night?

@  Bass X0 : (13 December 2018 - 05:25 PM)

Finally we get a Greenlight toy.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 December 2018 - 04:58 PM)

See.. In America they would just fire you for having the wrong color shoes on or some BS reason.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:13 AM)

And hey, in addition to the clocked extra hours, I earned an additional 50% overtime bonus.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:12 AM)

This past Saturday, in full expectance of a strike this week, I worked a full extra shift. They assigned me and some of the other volunteers to a totally pointless task, while some ladies were seriously sweeping the floor. When asked how long I was planning to stay, I smiled and said "a full shift!"

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

"You were asking for volunteers, right? I'm staying." - "But we have no more work for you!" - "I don't see how that's *my* problem..."

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

It's possible to use that to troll the employer a little, though... Once they allow voluntary overtime, they cannot backtrack from that. So once you notice you're rapidly running out of work, you just decide to do overtime out of spite.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:08 AM)

Now if there's *no* strike... people eventually run out of work.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:07 AM)

Amazon is prepared for strikes... they just hire way too many people for the Christmas season. If there's a strike, they still have enough (albeit inexperienced) workers.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 07:49 PM)

Not one bit :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 December 2018 - 06:46 PM)

@Steevy Did you read TM2's post? "Amazon.de".

@  Paladin : (12 December 2018 - 06:37 PM)

just wait until the European economy collapses up its Brexit-shaped asshole.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Probably not a ton of people, no. Although I'd say I order from one European Amazon site once every month or two, myself. Usually UK, but sometimes Germany as well. France and Italy a couple times, too. There are some good Blu-Ray releases that are exclusive to Europe

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 06:00 PM)

I'm not sure a European strike is going to impact North American customers.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 04:13 PM)

Well, somebody must've been working 'cuz I had an order in with Amazon.de that got shipped out the other day

@  Echowarrior : (12 December 2018 - 01:29 PM)

Amazon.

@  Benbot : (12 December 2018 - 01:01 PM)

AOL?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:22 PM)

Also, strike has been extended. So no working for 50 minutes. Would have been fun, though.

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:21 PM)

I said numerous times already that I work at that big American corporation that begins with "A".

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

Preferably the equivalent of Lara Croft or Indiana Jones a thousand years from now

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 December 2018 - 02:26 PM)

The turkeys... The answer is always the Turkeys.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 December 2018 - 02:05 PM)

Who would be the heroes in this situation?

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 02:03 PM)

When I die, I want my body to be part of a puzzle solution. Like, have my skeleton pointing at the clue the heroes are supposed to find.

@  Rodimus Supreme : (11 December 2018 - 12:38 PM)

Can you say where you work at? Or is that private?

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

It's completely pointless... whch is exactly the point. Hundreds of workers showing up 50 minutes before their shift is over.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

We're on strike until midnight tomorrow (Tuesday->Wednesday). Which means I will clock in at midnight and work until my shift is over... 50 minutes later.

Photo

Gotham

851 replies to this topic

#41 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 37763 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

Plus, giving the Joker a definitive origin kind of undoes a lot of what makes the Joker so remarkable these days, since he has no real set origin story.

Well, the current "Zero Year" arc in the New 52 might not sit too well with you, then...

I checked out before New52 ever began, so it's a non-issue to me, as I imagine it would be to most viewers since a big number for comic sales now is, what 300,000?  Put that against the actual millions of people watching TV and I am very much not alone.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#42 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Camren Bicondova is Selina Kyle.

camren-bicondova-selina-kyle-catwoman-go

#43 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

also Harvey Dent:

GOTHAM-Harvey-Bullock.jpg?1395335431

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#44 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

also Harvey Dent:

...looks more like he'd be Bullock than Dent.

#45 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

Actually here

Lots of on set shots:

http://www.dailymail...set-Gotham.html

I don't like huge 'for the sake of coincidence' coincidences in my fiction, so I'm not thrilled that it seems like Bruce and Selena know each other. I hope they just cross paths and leave it at that.

With the actress that plays Catwoman it seems like they're going for a 'young Michelle Pfeiffer' look for her since she has a similar facial structure and her eyes are spaced far apart.

also Harvey Dent:

Yeah, I had to go back and make sure I didn't make a typo, but that's what Newsarama reported him as.

I agree with you though.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#46 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51334 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:05 PM

I BELIEVE...in all you can eat buffets.

Plus Newsarama fixed the name.

Edited by MrBlud, 21 March 2014 - 01:07 PM.

card-strongarm.jpg

#47 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, just saw that.

Wow, they must have just done that because I went and checked when you posted as I was posting.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#48 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Their biggest mistake is casting kids for Bruce and any other reoccurring character (assuming they're reoccurring) because kids grow up fast.

Hopefully this is all just in the pilot to really kick it off with Bruce's parents being killed.

-----------
jesse sosa
Dinosaur Games

#49 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

Sometimes bad ponies make the best good ponies!

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:48 PM

There is nothing pointing to Bruce and Selena knowing each other (that I'm aware of) other than a picture of the two actors standing together.

They are planned as reoccurring characters as one elements of the series is Jim Gordon's concern over the orphan left over from his first big case in Gotham, the death of the Waynes. Selena is a troubled street kid apparently.

#50 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

I hope they're making this Bullock the DCAU/Arkham series version of the character instead of the comic books version. Still no Harlene Quinzel or Jack Napier, but I can't imagine they'd possibly leave the childhood incarnations of these characters out.

Part of me kinda hopes this doesn't mess up the continuity of Smallville so that they can leave open the possibility to do a crossover episode with Tom Welling someday.

#51 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Eventual origin of the Joker has been mentioned.

Bullock has been described as a break the rules to enforce the law rough type.

...Tom Welling will be in his early to mid 40s by the time the kid is old enough to even be a first year Batman. Besides which, Smallville was a CW licensed show. Gotham is a Fox licensed show.

#52 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26420 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:59 PM

Not to mention that Bruce/Batman has already made frequent appearances in the Smallville Season 11 comics, which appear to be canon to the show.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#53 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

...Could still be a prequel. >_>

#54 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26420 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

...Could still be a prequel. >_>

Only if it's set back in the 90s. :p

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#55 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35858 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:08 PM

I will say that if Bullock is a major player, and played well, I will probably just watch this for him. Bullock's has become one of my favorite supporting characters in the franchise.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#56 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:28 AM

Donal Logue is often good.

Something I posted on another board...wondering of thoughts here:

That's an interesting point you hint around. This isn't a show on the CW. Fox is a big boy network and a show has to get decent ratings to survive. (And this isn't the fanboy "fox hates sci-fi shows" conspiracy crap...like they invest millions of dollars so the show can fail).

The show has to thread the needle of being a good cop show, inventive enough so people will watch it, but not SO different from the safe stuff they like because they're mainstream TV audiences. Bring in the comic book stuff, but not so much that it turns off or scares or confuses the mainstream folks. Make sure people know this isn't Batman the series...but at the same time make people want to turn in because it's totally Batman the series.

It doesn't have the lax atmosphere of CW to operate in, or the integrated corporate support SHIELD has. FOX is surely paying a pretty penny for the rights to do this show, so from a tv business side, there's some interesting hurdles to jump over.

Edited by Scavgraphics, 25 March 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#57 (Deactivated) BB Shockwave

(Deactivated) BB Shockwave
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Actually here

Lots of on set shots:

http://www.dailymail...set-Gotham.html

I don't like huge 'for the sake of coincidence' coincidences in my fiction, so I'm not thrilled that it seems like Bruce and Selena know each other. I hope they just cross paths and leave it at that.

With the actress that plays Catwoman it seems like they're going for a 'young Michelle Pfeiffer' look for her since she has a similar facial structure and her eyes are spaced far apart.

also Harvey Dent:

Yeah, I had to go back and make sure I didn't make a typo, but that's what Newsarama reported him as.

I agree with you though.

Has to be Bullock - not only looks like him but well, he has a police badge - I don't think DA's have those. :)

I hate Smallville, but I like Arrow - so hoping this will not mess too much with established characters, it could be good. I just hope they leave Bruce and Alfred on the sidelines and don't make Gordon into someone who shapes Bruce into Batman, as that'd be silly. Bruce has to grow up, and leave to travel the world anyway, eventually.

Hope the Penguin will look the part. I don't want a Burton-esque guy, but he should be short and with a long nose, being NOT handsome is kind of a defining factor as to why he became bitter at the world.

#58 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26420 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

Hope the Penguin will look the part. I don't want a Burton-esque guy, but he should be short and with a long nose, being NOT handsome is kind of a defining factor as to why he became bitter at the world.

He'll be played by Steve Martin.

roxanne_bar.jpg

#59 Scavgraphics

Scavgraphics

• Supporter
  • 6393 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:02 AM

#60 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 20882 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:27 AM

Has to be Bullock - not only looks like him but well, he has a police badge - I don't think DA's have those. :)

The news site already made the correction that it's Bullock. Did you miss the post right underneath the one you quoted?

I BELIEVE...in all you can eat buffets.

Plus Newsarama fixed the name.

Edited by Naas, 07 May 2014 - 05:27 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)