Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Foffy : (24 May 2017 - 11:05 PM)

I mean, a large portion of the status updates are snippets of peoples' twitter accounts...

@  Steevy Maximus : (24 May 2017 - 09:34 PM)

I thought that was the status updates?

@  ▲ndrusi : (24 May 2017 - 09:18 PM)

Wait, I thought Twitter was the P&R shoutbox.

@  Noideaforaname : (24 May 2017 - 06:11 PM)

Nerd talk is infinitely better than P&R talk...

@  Bass X0 : (24 May 2017 - 04:30 PM)

Warning: Chatbox subject to spontaneous outbursts of nerd talk

@  Bass X0 : (24 May 2017 - 03:50 PM)

Most people should rap their age as a math problem.

@  Foffy : (24 May 2017 - 03:24 PM)

More people should state their age as math problems. I'm nine squared minus sixty-three.

@  Benbot : (24 May 2017 - 03:16 PM)

That's a complicated way of saying you're 20

@  Whirl Maximus : (24 May 2017 - 03:08 PM)

Simpsons movie is ten years old. I'm ten years older.

@  The Doctor Who : (24 May 2017 - 02:48 PM)

Or Facebook

@  Paladin : (24 May 2017 - 02:07 PM)

it's called Tumblr.

@  lastmaximal : (24 May 2017 - 02:04 PM)

Is there a p&r shoutbox?

@  Bass X0 : (24 May 2017 - 02:02 PM)

Quote from Facebook (not from me): "Religion is like having a penis. It's all very well and good to be proud of it. Just don't shove it in my face UNLESS I ASK YOU TO!"

@  Rycochet : (24 May 2017 - 11:21 AM)

In an mmmbop they're gone! In an mmm bop they're not there!

@  unluckiness : (24 May 2017 - 08:13 AM)

can't touch this

@  Robowang : (24 May 2017 - 08:09 AM)

It's Skyline time.

@  MEDdMI : (24 May 2017 - 06:28 AM)

It's that time of the month.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (24 May 2017 - 06:27 AM)

Communist bananas?

@  Pennpenn : (24 May 2017 - 06:25 AM)

Bad sign when bananas go red.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 May 2017 - 10:41 PM)

I read that as "What color are their bannanas"....

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2017 - 05:21 PM)

They're all red.

@  Paladin : (23 May 2017 - 05:20 PM)

what color are their bandanas?

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2017 - 04:48 PM)

*rescue, though

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2017 - 04:47 PM)

Hooray, animal rescue! TMM & I have a red-eared slider. Not a resdue,

@  Noideaforaname : (23 May 2017 - 03:26 PM)

@MEDdMI - Me and my teacher both had box turtles. The teach did animal rescue work, so two of her turtles were actually deformed and couldn't be released (one's shell was too large and the other's too small), so they ended up being class pets.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (23 May 2017 - 02:12 PM)

They had regular flat, cereal bowl-type molding at the bottom, so it wasn't much an issue that I can recall.

@  OrionPax44 : (23 May 2017 - 02:10 PM)

How tough is it to clean out those bowls. I'd imagine the nooks and crannies from their spines are tough areas.

@  LBD "Nyt... : (23 May 2017 - 01:47 PM)

I had two of those bowls, Michelangelo and Donatello

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2017 - 01:46 PM)

Nice. What kind of turtles?

@  Noideaforaname : (23 May 2017 - 01:10 PM)

I had that turtle bowl too. Never did the obvious 'pretend to be Shredder and dine on turtle soup'... but that's because I had a bunch of pet turtles plus I frequently pet-sat a teacher's trio.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 May 2017 - 12:36 PM)

You ate out of a Ninja Turtle? Kinky.

@  NightViper : (23 May 2017 - 12:33 PM)

My bowl didn't just have a picture of a Ninja Turtle, it WAS a Ninja Turtle. And came with a box of Cookie Crisp that I didn't eat.

@  Foffy : (23 May 2017 - 12:31 PM)

My favorite dish is this bowl I had as a kid that had a picture of a Ninja Turtle on it.

@  Robowang : (23 May 2017 - 10:32 AM)

mmm. That's my favorite dish.

@  Bass X0 : (23 May 2017 - 10:06 AM)

like.... Fractured But Whole?

@  MEDdMI : (23 May 2017 - 06:51 AM)

everything sounds dirty

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 May 2017 - 06:49 AM)

why does this sound dirty

@  Bass X0 : (23 May 2017 - 06:05 AM)

Psh. I'm still waiting for Ranma Whole.

@  unluckiness : (23 May 2017 - 05:08 AM)

I'll wait for the sequel series Dragon Whole.

@  Maruten : (23 May 2017 - 04:26 AM)

Can't believe the Dragon Half manga is finally being translated this year.

@  Bass X0 : (23 May 2017 - 03:22 AM)

DRAGON HALF!

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2017 - 09:00 PM)

Xellos...? *looks at avatar pic* speaking of old anime... DRAGON SLAVE!!!

@  Xellos : (22 May 2017 - 08:56 PM)

Yeah, Tylor is awesome. One of the few series (Tylor and Escaflowne) I watched multiple times subtitled. On VHS even. Own two sets of each on DVD (or BD in 2nd Escaflowne's case). Original Tylor DVD and the remastered DVD, and both sets of dubs for Escaflowne (not counting the aborted Saturday morning edit, though I did tape that as it aired).

@  Steevy Maximus : (22 May 2017 - 08:28 PM)

Man, I'm so sad I missed so much of the mid-90s anime. The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is SO MUCH FUN!

@  Paladin : (22 May 2017 - 11:43 AM)

where's GALVATRON in MP form dammit?! he didn't even get in for the anniversary year...

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 May 2017 - 11:35 AM)

I'm still waiting on the rest of the Dinobots.

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 11:24 AM)

The Decepticon MP cassettes are probably my favorite MP figures so far. Fantastic little dudes.

@  Bass X0 : (22 May 2017 - 11:23 AM)

I want a Masterpiece Blaster if only because I'm fond of the Masterpiece cassettes and want Takara to make more. They should also do Slugfest and Overkill since they were in the cartoon too, even if it was only very briefly.

@  Robowang : (22 May 2017 - 11:21 AM)

I just want the Chip figure. The only Autobot cars I have or want are G2 Sideswipe and Hot Rod.

@  Paladin : (22 May 2017 - 11:14 AM)

another Autobot car. "yaaaaaay."

Photo

Gotham

815 replies to this topic

#21 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5431 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

A Gotham Central show, I see working. But yeah, as a prequel, it's going to have all of the issues of Smallville, which I loathed.

#22 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48459 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:23 AM

http://www.ign.com/a...007c5f953000055

Back in September, it was announced that FOX had given a straight-to-series order to a new live-action television series entitled Gotham, which was purportedly an origin story for Commissioner Gordon. Many of us were left wondering how the network planned to do a comic-based TV show without a superhero at its center. What would distinguish Gotham from another cop/detective series?

At today's TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour Chairman of Entertainment at FOX Kevin Reilly revealed that this series would indeed function as an origin story for Batman.

"This is an origin story for young Bruce Wayne," Reilly said, promising that all of the classic Batman characters and villains would make an appearance, including: The Penguin, The Riddler, Commissioner Gordon, and The Joker. This is a series about "Gotham on the brink" he said, and "how they all became who they were, what events led up to these characters becoming Catwoman [and so on]." The Chairman described the series as "operatic" and "larger-than-life."

It will follow Bruce Wayne from childhood through his development into the Dark Night, with the final episode marking the moment when he puts on the cape. They're not certain what age young Bruce will be at this point, but Reilly estimates that he will be about 13 at the start of the series. "The actor will grow-up, if we do our job well he'll be a young man and ready [to be Batman] by the end," he said. "Which isn't to say we might not skip ahead."

Reilly followed up by saying that this would be a serialized show that will function on its own, separate from the Warner Brothers DC cinematic universe. "We own all the rights.That's what we're licencing," he said. "They brought us the entire franchise for a very healthy licence fee. We're not negotiating this piece meal. We have all of the underlying Batman rights for the entire franchise for this series."

He continued, saying, "That's what I like about this, it's not some sort of adjunct companion series. This is the Batman franchise, just backing it up. I think that gives it a real focus as to what the show is about and what stories we're telling."

There will be no connection to the Batman/Bruce Wayne that Ben Affleck will be introducing in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel 2, tentatively titled Batman vs. Superman. "Warner Brothers manages the entire franchise and its one of their top global franchises of all," Reilly said."So there will be an awareness of both and we'll have to coordinate when we're in the market place, but the productions are not piggy-backing off one another."

The series will be in the vein of the grittier tone that Christopher Nolan established in his Dark Knight trilogy, it will be very organic to that world, though Nolan will not have a direct connection to the production. We won't see Batman's cape and cowl till the series' conclusion, as mentioned, and it will be a slow reveal on the Supervillains alter-egos as well. "We're arcing to that," Reilly clarified. "We're not starting in that world where the villains are in costume. You see markers for it that are kind of delicious. You begin to see the evolution of the eccentricities that become those characters, but you really sort of arc there. We don't start out in capes and costumes."

When asked if there is a possibility that they may spinoff additional characters, Reilly said that he "certainly hopes so." Adding, "Do I think we'll peel out The Riddler? I don't. There's a large tapestry of characters to service over many years. So I hope we can just keep it on for a long, long run."

As the the number of episodes, Reilly jokes that, "Warner Brothers would like it to be 22 because they'd like as many as they can get," but no decisions have been made in regards to either the length of the series or a premiere date.

The show begins staffing shortly, with scripts expected to quickly following.

We will keep you updated as details on this series emerge.

I don't like the sound of any of this. At least in Smallville he still had powers. In this we will have a child. In Gotham. With villains running about that he can't deal with. Just... no thanks.

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#23 Rust

Rust

EXTRA THICK

• Supporter
  • 40991 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 AM

Nope.

Not interested.

Numbers 24:17
lup_zps837154f7.jpg
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#24 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 21410 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#25 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

So its a show explaining why Bruce Wayne never showed up in Smallville. Eh. With a bit of that ever elusive competency, anything's possible.

At least it sounds more excited than the Agents of Shield show we have now, if only that we'll actually see comic book characters in this one..

#26 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condemented

• Supporter
  • 5431 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

This is only going to make me sad and angry, just like Smallville.

Or, more accurately, like Smallville would have if I hadn't stopped watching somewhere during the first season.

#27 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34800 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

Ooo!  Ooo!  I bet the Joker and all the rest will be high school buddies of Bruce to add to the angst!  The Penguin will be that nerdy kid in the corner that no one ever appreciated and thus embarked on a life of crime!  Joker will be the star athlete jokester scarred by a horrible astroturf accident!  Riddler will be that kid with Tourette's!  Bane will be the special episode about steroid abuse!  Cat Woman will be the school slut out for vengeance for those that talked about her on Facebook!

Yeah, this is gonna suck.

Edited by Spark, 14 January 2014 - 09:52 AM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#28 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34800 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Ooo!  Ooo!  I bet the Joker and all the rest will be high school buddies of Bruce to add to the angst!  The Penguin will be that nerdy kid in the corner that no one ever appreciated and thus embarked on a life of crime!  Joker will be the star athlete jokester scarred by a horrible astroturf accident!  Riddler will be that kid with Tourette's!  Bane will be the special episode about steroid abuse!  Cat Woman will be the school slut out for vengeance for those that talked about her on Facebook!

Yeah, this is gonna suck.

They already pitched that jive back in 2010.

Oh wow.

It's nice to know even my most intentionally terrible ideas are somehow viable for WB.

Edited by Spark, 14 January 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#29 unluckiness

unluckiness

Dogoo-der

• Citizen
  • 13775 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Every time I manage to repress the memory of that, someone somewhere brings it up.

i0E0W0o.png

#30 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Staff
  • 10439 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

So, this.

photo 1446489_1420344741314_full_zps63gobam0.jpg

#31 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Commissions! cheetimus@cheetimus.com

• Retired Staff
  • 48459 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Oh wow. That was well done!

24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#32 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 8476 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

This seems like the sort of idea that could be good for two or three seasons and then outgrow its premise.  You can only hint at and build up to the inevitable for so long.  That's why I quit watching Smallville, even though I liked it in the beginning.

Arrow, on the other hand, started at the interesting part.  It might not be the most compelling show, but at least it doesn't have to take weird plot twists to avoid hitting a particular plot point.

That said...I'm a Batman fan.  I'll watch it unless it becomes really bad.

Twitter:  @ToyBoxComix

http://ToyBoxComix.tumblr.com

#33 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 4170 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:13 PM

Sounds terrible.  Smallville was bad enough.  I don't want to go through that again.  The whole series is one huge tease.

#34 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 3400 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Actually, I thought the series had potential in the idea of exploring rookie cop/detective Jim Gordon coming to Gotham City, seeing the corruption and the crazy (maybe be forced to take down some other vigilantes who ultimately prove to be doing right).   Then move to a season or two later  where he's put in charge of investigating the supposed "Bat-Man" whispered in rumor.  After a season or two of that angle, finally make them oddball partners in superhero detective partnership investigating the increasing number of extreme criminals Gotham has spawned.

I could see a solid 6 plus seasons in all that.  

But no, can't have a Batman thing without Batman.  And my real fear is that this series is going to suffer Smallville syndrome where it vastly outstays its premise and avoids the costume and whatnot WAY longer than it should.

#35 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in Austin!!

• Citizen
  • 7420 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:18 PM

I enjoyed Smallville except seasons 5.5 - 7. Really, Smallville should have only been 4 seasons. There was no need for it to be 10. Teen heroes have always been one of my favorite areas to explore.

As far as this goes, I'll give it a chance, but one thing I've always loved about Batman was the uncomfortable fact that he elevated the villains in Gotham to become super villains. I'm not too keen on this notion that the super villains existed before Batman.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games
studio art director
Samsung

#36 ZeroX

ZeroX
  • 2226 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

Sorry guys, all this needs to have is teenage Harley Quinn and I'm sold. Don't know where all this negativity is coming from.

Maybe it because I was the only one who actually read that the show would "what events led up to" these characters becoming the villains they are destined to become, not the villains themselves. I see people posting comments like they expect the Joker in full clown makeup will be created death traps in amusement parks while Bruce is still in High School.

What I expect to see is an aspiring comedian with little real talent becoming more and more disillussioned as he starts fall in with bad crowds and crime bosses. Show Harley having a high school crush on him. You know, show the type of events which would eventually lead up to the Ace Chemical disaster without ever actually giving us the Joker until the very last episode. Could make for a very effective finale for the entire show.

All it would take is good writing; its not nearly as impossible a concept to make good like all of you are making it out to be.

#37 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 8379 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

No thanks, not interested.

Seriously, you shouldn't spend an entire series about how Bruce Wayne became Batman. One movie at most, yes, but an entire series? Heck no. I'd rather Fox reshow that Timm-Dini-Burnett series from the early nineties, or better, give me a Batman series with, y'know, BATMAN. 

Edited by Echowarrior, 07 May 2014 - 09:39 AM.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#38 Telly

Telly

Puckish Rogue

• Retired Staff
  • 5739 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

So, this.

make it a comedy and ill watch

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#39 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

WTCHOP?!!!

• Retired Staff
  • 23541 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Batman/Bruce Wayne is the World's Greatest Detective.

A young Bruce Wayne doesn't need to roam the rooftops in order to solve crimes like a young Sherlock Holmes or Veronica Mars.  He could be an awkward shut-in nerd with no ability to physically handle himself.  As he gets in over his head a few times over the course of the series, he realizes he needs to start working on his combat skills, and starts training with Alfred.  To keep his rep as a detective on the d/l, maybe he turns in evidence to Gordon without identifying himself... which he eventually does as Batman, anyway.

Maybe that's a stretch, but a "Veronica Mars" set in Gotham City doesn't sound so bad.

VOTE FOR SNAPDRAGON: GETTING KRUNK SINCE 1987!

card-snapdragon.jpg

#40 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 34800 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

All it would take is good writing

Man, you have high hopes.

Still, it runs straight into the same problem either way, where you spend the whole series waiting for Bruce to be Batman, except it's compounded by waiting for all the villains to become who we already know them to be.  Plus, giving the Joker a definitive origin kind of undoes a lot of what makes the Joker so remarkable these days, since he has no real set origin story.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users