Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

@  Rycochet : (04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

The Tim Burton Superman Movie is the DC movie we deserve. It would have Nic Cage in a technosuit punching polarbears.

@  Paladin : (04 December 2019 - 02:59 PM)

Wonder Woman was great. Shazam was amazing. Aquaman... exists.

@  RichardT1977 : (04 December 2019 - 01:54 PM)

TBF, Aquaman and Shazam! were pretty good.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Not a difficult feat.

@  Benbot : (04 December 2019 - 11:50 AM)

You just put more effort into telling a compelling story than all of WB's execs.

@  Cybersnark : (04 December 2019 - 11:41 AM)

Cue the flashback to Jonathan, reassuring a terrified child: "What you are is never as important as who you are." Cue Superman's response to Brainiac: "I already know who I am."*John Williams fanfare plays*

Photo

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 2016 film discussion

2293 replies to this topic

#41 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46595 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think part of the polarization is the fact Warner Bros. and DC haven't had...consistency...in the quality of their films. Green Lantern was pretty much a huge disappointment all the way around and I think the final consensus with The Dark Knight Rises was "Was this really necessary?". To be fair in the latter's case, there was no way anything they put out was going to top The Dark Knight, but even taking that into account it's ultimately a rather boring experience overall.

#42 Random Items

Random Items

Just this once, everybody lives!

• Retired Staff
  • 10452 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

I've just never really liked a Zack Snyder film. *shrug* There are just some names I see attached to things that dash any hopes I might have otherwise held for a project, and he's one of them.

Orci & Kurtzman are also near the top of that list for me.

#43 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46595 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE(Detour @ Jul 21 2013, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 21 2013, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've not yet seen Man of Steel, but in regards to the new Star Trek...having grown up on VHS copies of TOS I can say the new movies are very much indeed in keeping with the character and property heart and soul.

I'll never understand why people want to go back to the days of Voyager and Enterprise, when the franchise really was a soulless abomination.

I haven't seen Into Darkness but my issue with the first Trek is that it was more spectacle-driven than character-driven. It felt like it had the heart and soul of a Star Wars movie rather than that of a Star Trek movie, or a good Star Trek movie at least. Sure the characters got a lot of the mannerisms of the old actors down (Karl Urban as McCoy especially) but nothing ever felt character-driven... it was more "character does this because we need him to do this to get to that next plot point".

A good 75% of TOS, TNG, and DS9 was spectacle driven. People seem to prop up the exemplary episodes of the show while forgetting those were interspersed with a whoooooooooole lot of nonsense. Flashy, colorful nonsense...but still nonsense.

Star Trek 2009 was the first time - the first time - since I was a child watching Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country that I felt like I was watching a Star Trek movie and not a mindless scifi Action Flick.

...I take that back. Since First Contact. Generations still felt like Star Trek...like part of the 75% of TNG that people forget about.

As for character driven moments in the new Trek film...I dunno. Both Kirk and Spock had some pretty good character arcs that carry over into the sequel. They're by no means the characters we knew back in TOS but they aren't supposed to be. They have different life experiences shaping their personalities. The reason McCoy feels like McCoy is probably because his character has had the least amount of "alteration" thanks to temporal shenanigans.

It's kind of like The Dark Knight vs The Dark Knight Rises. In The Dark Knight, Bruce contemplates going public in order to stop the Joker's rampage - going so far as to start walking forward during Dent's press conference before Dent stole the thunder. That's in keeping with the spirit of the character, that's something Batman would do.

Now compare that to The Dark Knight Rises ending...and that's not something Batman would do.

The Trek characters were all in keeping with the spirit of the characters. Uhura and Spock's love interest came out of left field, but as much as I hate to say this, it kept (and keeps) Uhura central to the cast. Michelle Nicolas (I'm butchering her last name, I know it) almost walked off of TOS because her character was so marginalized and a non-entity. It took a personal appeal from Martin Luther King Jr. to keep her on the show. It didn't improve her character any - Go on. Tell me what shining moments Uhura had in the show. I'll wait. If you said "Kiss William Shatner" you win a noprize. And in the movies? Yup. "Dance Naked in the Sand". Truly, pairing her with Spock destroyed the spirit of her character.

Trying to wind this thing back around to being on topic, I think that's what I'm most scared of for the Batman/Superman film. That it will be in keeping with the spirit of the characters - who have historically come to blows more then actually teamed up. Hence why I asked for World's Finest - The animated movie, not the comic book series that featured Superman framing Batman for Witchcraft in Puritan Salem so he could run off with the good looking blonde woman they rescued from being drowned as a witch.

#44 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 21 2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not the comic book series that featured Superman framing Batman for Witchcraft in Puritan Salem so he could run off with the good looking blonde woman they rescued from being drowned as a witch.

Do you honestly believe that is a legitimate concern and not just extreme hyperbole on your part?
24674394486_13a96b16e0_o.jpg

#45 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46595 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 21 2013, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not the comic book series that featured Superman framing Batman for Witchcraft in Puritan Salem so he could run off with the good looking blonde woman they rescued from being drowned as a witch.

Do you honestly believe that is a legitimate concern and not just extreme hyperbole on your part?

It was meant to be a humorous anecdote.

Though I suppose, I'd be shocked and kind of impressed if that's the story we got on screen. Since it also features Superman deliberately trolling Benjamin Franklin.

Edited by Rust, 21 July 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#46 spikeriley

spikeriley

Time To Go Turbo!

• Citizen
  • 3618 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Nice. Maybe this movie will be a set-up to the long-awaited Justice League film that's been talked about.

#47 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

It came off a bit more serious than you intended then considering your prior acknowledge stance.

#48 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 59940 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:01 PM

I've seen at least two or three people in this thread state they've never seen a particular movie, but then proceed to talk about why it wasn't very good or how it missed the mark (over the course of pages even).

Your uniformed opinion is completely moot unless you actually have an idea what you're talking about.

#49 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8714 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Epic whining in this thread.

I'm squeeing at this news because I was very much in favor of Bruce Wayne being introduced in the next Man of Steel if only to avoid retelling his origin story.

#50 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46595 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It came off a bit more serious than you intended then considering your prior acknowledge stance.

Yeah, I should have used a smilie.

#51 Big Show

Big Show

Had about enough of your crap, Mario.

• Supporter
  • 7862 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

I guess I'm in the minority that when I want depth and story, I go to the comics-and when I want fun and spectacle (and am more forgiving about shallower story elements), I go to the movies.

In keeping with that mentality, I eagerly look forward to Bruce and Clark squaring off on the big screen. I just hope they put some in-universe time between this and MoS. Well-trained Bruce vs. green Clark really doesn't seem like a fair fight.
QUOTE(David Willis)
There's a distinct difference between buying something and SUPERbuying.
And SUPERbuying is not quite as extreme as buying the HUG outta something.
There's a hierarchy.

#52 Lizard King

Lizard King

I burned out my eyes, I cut off my tounge.

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm hugging pumped. I thought Man of Steel was amazing, and I have tons of faith in Zack Snyder to pull this off. Let's just hope they don't hug Batman up. Really hoping Lex is the villain too. Can't see it being anyone else.

#53 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8714 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

My head-canon has already written a scene with Bruce and Lex debating "the Superman issue" over cigars and whiskey.

#54 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

QUOTE(Local Trouble @ Jul 21 2013, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My head-canon has already written a scene with Bruce and Lex debating "the Superman issue" over cigars and whiskey.

Oh god please

#55 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

I'd like to second that GOD PLEASE.

#56 Lizard King

Lizard King

• Citizen
  • 9610 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

I think they'll try and introduce another tent pole franchise or two, and try to build the Justice League from there. Wonder Woman is certainly the most logical candidate for her own film though. I honestly don't feel like Flash can carry his own film.

#57 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8714 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

I'd like to see a Wonder Woman origin movie that actually takes place in Hellenic Greece. Let us see her in her proper context before you throw her into Man's World.

QUOTE(Lizard King @ Jul 21 2013, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Local Trouble @ Jul 21 2013, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh god please

I'd make it the opening scene. Let it set the tone of the entire movie.

Edited by Local Trouble, 21 July 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#58 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1724 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I think I would have rather had a second dedicated Superman movie before jumping into the team-up, but this will be fine. If they're really determined to get to Justice League ASAP, then this might make a better bridge for that anyway. Who knows, maybe having the big team-up will even satisfy some of the WB execs into holding off on the full Justice League until after another couple solo movies, which I think could do it some good.

My only concern is the Frank Miller reference. I also want TDKR to be kept as far away from the DCCU as possible. There are a lot of stories out there that would make great reference material for a Superman/Batman movie. I'm not at all convinced that TDKR is one of them. I really hope that its influence doesn't extend much beyond providing a quote people would recognize.

I have no reservations regarding Snyder, Goyer, and MoS all feeding into the project. As someone who's been a huge Superman fan my whole life, and especially the last 25 years or so, I was absolutely thrilled with MoS. Yes, I could nitpick a couple things, and I'm not completely thrilled with one scene in the middle of the film. But if you take Superman as a whole over the past 75 years, rather than a snapshot of one particular incarnation, that movie absolutely got the heart and soul of the character right.

#59 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10399 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 20 2013, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Frank's not gonna make money from this movie.

Good lord, this thing is being judged before a single shot is filmed. Calm down, people.

Both Goyer and Snyder have pretty poor track records IMO. Snyder is very much style over substance, and Goyer's scripts either suck, or he's been the unluckiest writer ever and it's the directors, actors and editors fault every time something goes wrong.

Plus, you know, I seriously disliked the LAST collaberation they had that involved Superman.

I think that's more than enough to pass judgment.

MSzBav1.jpg

#60 BlitzwingHaz

BlitzwingHaz

"Wooo! I'm freaking out!"

• Citizen
  • 16321 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Do we think he's gonna have Superman vs Batman though?
I'm sort of hoping they do a story where a threat is too big for Batman, and he reluctanly has to accept Superman's help and by the end they agree to collaborate which leads to Justice League.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users