Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 07:17 AM)

I feel the '80s music would be jarring when running over current-day CGI instead of well, '80s visuals.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 05:39 AM)

Not a remake, reanimated scene for scene, like that fan vid titled they were always real to me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2020 - 04:37 AM)

Because we need more remakes these days.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:36 AM)

Be a hoot if these Studio Series 86 toys led to Transformers The Move Reanimated like Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

@  Paladin : (20 October 2020 - 05:15 PM)

only takes three pounds to be a cereal killer.

@  Kalidor : (20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM)

5 pounds is a lot of cereal! /deadpan

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Seems the area near my work place is due to be gentrified. Electric car ports, fifty pound haircuts and five pound bowls of cereal in breakfast cafes I'll bet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 11:31 PM)

@ZakuConvoy Lumines Electric Symphony. So still halfway interesting, and it’ll play on the PS TV

@  Demovere Xeno : (19 October 2020 - 10:36 PM)

@Maximus: I paired the Battle Patrol with Ironworks and they look good together, though the Off Road Patrol would probably fit best as vehicles you're likely to find at a construction site.

@  ZakuConvoy : (19 October 2020 - 09:39 PM)

So...was it something like Tearaway or Gravity Rush or was it just a FIFA or a Madden?

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 08:26 PM)

Sounds like they need to clean more often.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 06:51 PM)

From the depths of Walmart's backroom comes...a Playstation Vita game in 2020?

@  Telly : (19 October 2020 - 02:20 PM)

and my bow

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:49 AM)

<GIMLI> And my axe! </GIMLI>

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:47 AM)

He's got my vote!

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 11:26 AM)

Mayor?

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 October 2020 - 07:38 AM)

Greasepit for the Sports Car Patrol, Airwave for the Airstrike Patrol, Hot House for the Rescue Patrol, Ironworks for ????

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:09 AM)

My local Walmart FINALLY got a restock of Generations during the early September reset and got a big shipment of Earthrise wave 1 (the first I’d seen around here). IF, and that’s a big IF, they restock I’m expecting a bunch of wave 3. Or wave 2. But we’ll be skipping one of those waves.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Barricade hanging around

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Brunt barely appeared here at all, wave 3 was pretty much skipped for a big load of wave 4, with Impactor and

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Brunt is shelfwarming around me. One walmart moved the whole lot of them off to a side shelf, but couldn't be added to liquidate them.

@  unluckiness : (18 October 2020 - 09:01 PM)

Ironworks is a plague. No idea if it was overproduced or if nobody wants it but thing's clogging shelves.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 04:23 PM)

My walmart the few times I go in will be lucky to have two or three transformers period.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 October 2020 - 10:29 AM)

I mostly just see walls of Ironworks. And the occassional Siege Hound.

@  Paladin : (18 October 2020 - 08:44 AM)

condolences.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 08:40 AM)

My local Symths is still chock full of Earthrise wave 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 08:24 AM)

Yup, generally so much they don't bother with any other waves as the existing stock doesn't sell out.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:56 AM)

All the damn time.

If there's anything there's going to be plenty of stock, it's wave 1.

I'm really not worried about wave 1 of a new line EVER.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

At least you got listings for kingdom. walmart canada won't list them until they're actually in stock and that could very well never happen. I'm gonna get mine from BBTS cause I'm not missing out on the maximals.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:32 AM)

And I don't buy the "they all sold out" explanation. The Kingdom figures are still listed.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:32 AM)

I don't see any of Friday's reveals at Walmart.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:23 AM)

There's a difference between "sold out" and "no trace of a listing".

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:23 AM)

There is still a listing for the scalped and sold out Walmart exclusive limited edition version of Gigawatt.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:22 AM)

But there should still be a listing.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 06:30 AM)

Probably got scalped and sold out in seconds.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 04:10 AM)

And I don't see links anywhere either.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 04:10 AM)

So did Walmart somehow fail put up the Headmasters preorders as promised by Hasbro, or have the listings been taken down again? I cannot find them.

Photo

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 2016 film discussion

2293 replies to this topic

#21 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

Man of Steel was just like Star Trek Into Darkness. Didn't get everything from the source material right, pissed off some of the fanboys, but it was a darn sight more enjoyable that most or all of the previous attempts to tell a story with these characters on the big screen. At the end of the day if your movie is a slave to your source material but ends up boring as heck, what good did it do anyone to get the details right?

Edited by Quantumhawk, 20 July 2013 - 10:32 PM.

#22 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18259 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE(Quantumhawk @ Jul 20 2013, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Man of Steel was just like Star Trek Into Darkness. Didn't get everything from the source material right, pissed off some of the fanboys, but it was a darn sight more enjoyable that most or all of the previous attempts to tell a story with these characters on the big screen. At the end of the day if your movie is a slave to your source material but ends up boring as heck, what good did it do anyone to get the details right?

What good is it to make a sparkly, shiny, pretty action adventure if you lose the entire heart and soul that made everyone love the source material in the first place?

ZacWilliam, you can capture the soul of a property people love without being boring and you can be fun and exciting without being hollow and untrue to the source. Look at Avengers for a film that did it right.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#23 Onyx

Onyx

Quintesson Hunter

• Supporter
  • 4579 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Warning for language and some Man of Steel SPOILERS

#24 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48463 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 20 2013, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ZacWilliam, you can capture the soul of a property people love without being boring and you can be fun and exciting without being hollow and untrue to the source. Look at Avengers for a film that did it right.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate to compare Man of Steel or Into Darkness to Avengers. Avengers was the culmination of five movies - the sixth of the franchise. Stand alones like Man of Steel or even sequels like Into Darkness don't have that legacy behind it. If you want to be fair to the franchises, the appropriate comparisons would be Avengers vs Superman Returns or Star Trek VI.

And while Superman Returns is left bleeding at the bottom of some Kryptonite spawned mineshaft, I'd say Star Trek VI is about equal with Avengers in terms of entertainment value.

In my opinion.

#25 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8358 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry, but I don't think it's appropriate to compare Man of Steel or Into Darkness to Avengers. Avengers was the culmination of five movies - the sixth of the franchise. Stand alones like Man of Steel or even sequels like Into Darkness don't have that legacy behind it. If you want to be fair to the franchises, the appropriate comparisons would be Avengers vs Superman Returns or Star Trek VI.

Well, the appropriate comparison for his point would probably be MOS/Star Trek vs Iron Man.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#26 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48463 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Sean Whitmore @ Jul 20 2013, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the appropriate comparison for his point would probably be MOS/Star Trek vs Iron Man.

Of which I'd say all three rank fairly evenly between each other.

#27 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18259 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not in relation to trueness to the heart and soul of their source material. Which is what we were specifically talking about.

Iron Man IS the embodiment of that character and property heart and soul.

Even folks who like Darkness and MoS can't really honestly say that.

-ZacWilliam, that's the issue at hand.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#28 Spectre

Spectre
  • Retired Staff
  • 10639 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Neither the last Superman or Batman movies were any good, so I'm not really that excited.

#29 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23047 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 21 2013, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not in relation to trueness to the heart and soul of their source material. Which is what we were specifically talking about.

Who the hug cares about source material.

Who the hug cares if they don't capture what people think is the heart and soul of the character.

The original Swerve, for example, was some boring guy who studied chemical compostion and was a terrible driver. The new one is a annoying, but lovable bartender who's a terrible shot. Does that mean the original is better?

Things gotta evolve, man.

#30 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20754 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 21 2013, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what's depressing is that I've seen people applaud Man of Steel for "not being a goddamn kiddie movie like what Marvel's been doing". Eeeeeeeegads.

QUOTE(Spectre @ Jul 21 2013, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Neither the last Superman or Batman movies were any good, so I'm not really that excited.

Sadly, I'm in agreement.

QUOTE(Escargon @ Jul 21 2013, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Who the hug cares about source material.

Who the hug cares if they don't capture what people think is the heart and soul of the character.

The original Swerve, for example, was some boring guy who studied chemical compostion and was a terrible driver. The new one is a annoying, but lovable bartender who's a terrible shot. Does that mean the original is better?

Things gotta evolve, man.

There's a difference between "staying true to the heart and soul of a character", "deviating from the heart and soul of the character" and "actually giving heart and soul to the character", the latter of which is what happened to Swerve. The dude never got used before. He had a tiny filecard and otherwise he did spit-all. Not to mention that he was just a toy that was meant to be sold to kids.

Evolving does not mean "leaving everything behind", it doesn't mean "dispose of the heart and soul". Or would you say Batman ruthlessly killing criminals in Batman Returns was the right "evolution" for the character?

Edited by Detour, 20 July 2013 - 11:23 PM.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#31 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48463 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 20 2013, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've not yet seen Man of Steel, but in regards to the new Star Trek...having grown up on VHS copies of TOS I can say the new movies are very much indeed in keeping with the character and property heart and soul.

I'll never understand why people want to go back to the days of Voyager and Enterprise, when the franchise really was a soulless abomination.

#32 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

Nerds are hugging jaded...

#33 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33820 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.

God...No.

Not Miller. Use anyone but Miller. Not the inane Batman/Superman Rivalry that turns Superman into a naive boyscout working for the wrong side because he won't come down to the level of the common man.

I was worrying about the same things when I read the announcement. Fortunately as Cheets said, its more of a starting-point as opposed to an adaptation.

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't suffer a big screen adaptation of "Batman is the best at everything, Superman is a loser".

Amen.
"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#34 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(ZacWilliam1 @ Jul 21 2013, 04:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel I can say this about Man of Steel perfectly fine, thank you.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#35 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20754 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 21 2013, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've not yet seen Man of Steel, but in regards to the new Star Trek...having grown up on VHS copies of TOS I can say the new movies are very much indeed in keeping with the character and property heart and soul.

I'll never understand why people want to go back to the days of Voyager and Enterprise, when the franchise really was a soulless abomination.

I haven't seen Into Darkness but my issue with the first Trek is that it was more spectacle-driven than character-driven. It felt like it had the heart and soul of a Star Wars movie rather than that of a Star Trek movie, or a good Star Trek movie at least. Sure the characters got a lot of the mannerisms of the old actors down (Karl Urban as McCoy especially) but nothing ever felt character-driven... it was more "character does this because we need him to do this to get to that next plot point".

This is actually why I'm interested in seeing Abrams tackle Star Wars. He's already sorta doing it in my eyes. icon-arcee.gif

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 21 2013, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nerds are hugging jaded...

Well what did you expect a jaded movie like Man Of Steel to leave us feeling???

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#36 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

How soon people forget the modern Batman is the result of Miller's writing. I'm not saying to praise the man and all his works but try not to jump to conclusions when they say they want to lift a bit from what he did.

#37 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48463 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE(CORVUS @ Jul 21 2013, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was worrying about the same things when I read the announcement. Fortunately as Cheets said, its more of a starting-point as opposed to an adaptation.

The problem as I see it (Which is just paranoia at this stage) is even using Miller's work as a starting point, you open the door to have Miller's biases taint the adaptation, regardless of its ending point.

Give me World's Finest, not The Dark Knight Returns.

Edited by Rust, 21 July 2013 - 12:03 PM.

#38 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Ugh. I don't feel like debating this. These comic movie threads have been so damn negative lately and I just want to bask in the excitement of such potential awesome instead of dwelling in the pits of sadness and despair... over a comic book movie.

#39 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33820 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Wholeheartedly agreed Rust.

And Cheets, you know that these things are polarizing. They are always polarizing.

Edited by CORVUS, 21 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.

"Whoa, it's been upgraded to stank. Just last week it was only stink. Stonk can't be far away." - Strong Bad

#40 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'm sorry, but... I hate it when people say "you can't say..." or "you have to admit..." about something so nebulous as the so-called "spirit" of something.

What the heck is that, anyway? "Spirit" and "magic" sound more like words people throw around to keep their preferences as something ethereal and unquantifiable so they don't have to actually justify or debate it for real.

"Disabled people dont have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnt a special need. Its a basic human right. Its a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users