Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

You'll shoot yer eye out, kid.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 July 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I shot the sheriff.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:24 PM)

han wasn't even in the movie until later

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 July 2020 - 04:23 PM)

the stormtroopers shot first

@  Sabrblade : (14 July 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Maclunkey

@  Paladin : (14 July 2020 - 06:18 AM)

the correct answwer to "who shot first" will always be "Harrison Ford if he ever hears that hugging question again."

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 July 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Han shot first. Plain and simple.

@  -LittleAutob... : (13 July 2020 - 06:21 PM)

\(-_-)

@  Bass X0 : (13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM)

"Here's a little---whatever. A little thing. A disclosure. An insight. Revisionism---I've always been fascinated by it. By the idea of a writer going back and altering things. Make no mistake: an edit is a profoundly aggressive act. As Froid once said, we grieve for the murdered word. If you want to get the measure of an author, don't look at what they've left on the page.... look at what they've taken away." -- Rung (MTMTE #28)

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

Photo

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 2016 film discussion

2293 replies to this topic

#2261 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14629 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:40 PM

Btw anyone watched The Ultimate Cut yet? coz i have, it certainly improves the film somewhat, it fleshes some things out that was wrong with the standard version, some of the fight scenes are longer and more brutal(being R rated).

So i'd deffo recommend this version! & forget the standard one(or at least try to).

It's definitely a better cut of the movie. 100%. It makes the film flow better and gives much needed character beats for almost everyone - especially Lex (although there are still major issues there) - while giving an easier to follow through-line to the film. It still doesn't solve the problems I had with the script and the tone of the film from the get go. I especially dislike the brutality of Batman and this script just adds to that. That said, there wouldn't have been nearly the critical outcry if this was the movie released in theaters. I'd recommend anyone watch the "Ultimate Cut" over the theatrical version.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 29 June 2016 - 01:43 PM.

Yep.

#2262 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:11 PM

I just watched it. It's much better.

If your main issue with it was the overall tone, this is not going to win you over. If your main issue with it was its structural weirdness/things just not making basic sense, this might turn you around.

I fall into the latter category and feel a lot less wary about calling it a movie I like now.

#2263 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10827 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

I'll have to wait for the disc. $20 for a download is a little too much for me.

It's a shame the ultimate cut couldn't have been released in 3-D.  Japan seems to be the only country where the UHD release includes a 3-D disc (theatrical-only, though).  Since the ultimate cut is sounding like the definitive cut of the movie, I guess I'll forget about the theatrical and just get the UHD release.  For the future, I hope companies start going with UHD+3D+BD combo packs, though.

#2264 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23155 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:06 AM

Just watched the Ultimate Edition, having skipped the movie prior to tonight.

I feel like I understood everyone's motivations throughout, except Lex. I have no idea why he came up with this whole plan, and "he's crazy" seems like a pretty lame explanation.

Also, Doomsday felt silly and out of place in such an otherwise over serious and dark movie, and the Martha thing was as bad as I'd heard. Plus, it had about three dream sequences too many. But I didn't get the sense that it was disjointed (well, aside from the villain's motivations being totally unclear), which is what so many people said about the theatrical cut, so I imagine this version is about as good as it gets.

Which still wasn't great.

#2265 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

As far as Lex's motivations go, I subscribe to the theory that an outside force (almost certainly Darkseid) was manipulating both him and Batman pretty much from the start to take Superman off the board. Batman's Mad Max nightmare doesn't really make any sort of sense unless he's being directly manipulated; he has no independent reason to dream of Parademons and Omega symbols burned into the earth. So Darkseid is subconsciously ramping up his (somewhat valid) fear of Superman, and ramping up Lex's (less valid) Napoleon complex and daddy issues so he can get rid of the only credible threat to him on Earth. That's how I read it, anyway.

Releasing the three hour cut theatrically was probably a non-starter with WB, but I think it would have gotten far less shit from critics if they'd released this version instead and probably would have made a bit more money. It's just a much more coherent movie.

#2266 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30410 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

If Darkseid needed Lex to create Doomsday to get rid of Superman because he (Darkseid) feared Superman would be too powerful an obstacle to deal with in his (Darkseid's) conquest of Earth, then what was Darkseid gonna do about Doomsday had Doomsday succeeded in killing Superman but wasn't killed himself? If Darkseid needed Lex to create a living superweapon more powerful than Superman, then how would Darkseid deal with said superweapon if it were more powerful than the guy Darkseid needed dealt with before his coming to Earth? If Superman was too much for Darkseid, then wouldn't Doomsday be even more of a hassle for Darkseid?

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2267 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23775 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

Maybe he assumed that Luthor would have went with something simpler like Kryptonite weapons rather than doing something so insane.

#2268 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

If Darkseid needed Lex to create Doomsday to get rid of Superman because he (Darkseid) feared Superman would be too powerful an obstacle to deal with in his (Darkseid's) conquest of Earth, then what was Darkseid gonna do about Doomsday had Doomsday succeeded in killing Superman but wasn't killed himself? If Darkseid needed Lex to create a living superweapon more powerful than Superman, then how would Darkseid deal with said superweapon if it were more powerful than the guy Darkseid needed dealt with before his coming to Earth? If Superman was too much for Darkseid, then wouldn't Doomsday be even more of a hassle for Darkseid?

I think the entire movie played out the way Darkseid wanted, basically.

#2269 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9304 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

The Ultimate Cut "not changing anyone's mind" is a pretty true assessment of it. It's a better-made version of the film, fleshed in around the edges with small moments (and at least one sub-plot that's really not necessary) that spell out some characters' action choices a little better and also makes Lois not Completely Useless, with fewer logic errors than the theatrical cut. Anyone looking to watch it should get this version of it. But it's still a dour, mean-spirited film with the subtlety of diarrhea in an elevator, its first two acts little more than a montage that leaps from character to character, utterly uninterested in actually exploring or resolving any of the moral questions it raises, and burdened to breaking point with forced set-up for future films. 

Edited by Chris McFeely, 03 July 2016 - 12:04 PM.

#2270 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13372 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Someone made a video counting the number of people killed by Batman in this movie. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#2271 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30410 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:16 PM

I liked how the dream sequence kills were swiftly de-counted when it was made clear to be a dream.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#2272 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

All the movie Batmans (Batmen?) have killed guys. It has never much bothered me.

If Batman were to casually kill innocent people or even bad guys who were incapacitated, that would bother me. But Russian mercenaries who are about to burn Superman's mom alive? Nah, hug them.

#2273 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 47909 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:27 PM

Yes, Batman's always killed people in his movie outings. I think the main beef people have with this portrayal is they aren't hiding it like in previous films.

Batman blowing up Joker's factory? There was a delay between the grenade and the explosion, suggesting that maybe people had time to evacuate. Batman shoving dynamite down a guy's pants and throwing him into the sewer? A delay long enough that the guy could have possibly fished it out and thrown it away. Letting Ra's crash? No body found. Tackling Harvey off a building? Heck, even I argued at the time whether or not Dent was actually dead considering.

Kinda hard to do that rationalizing here.

#2274 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:26 PM

My rational is this is Dark Knight Returns Batman.

He has simply had enough and doesn't hold back anymore.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#2275 Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

Have a Pickle

• Supporter
  • 4562 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

I have zero problem with Batman killing people because I was never attached that aspect of the character. 

I am actually marginally excited to give this movie a watch now. 

#2276 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

My rational is this is Dark Knight Returns Batman.

He has simply had enough and doesn't hold back anymore.

But he's not like TDKR Batman either. At least, non superficially.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#2277 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30410 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

This video was also made as part of a larger series that counts the kills of characters from various movies - https://www.youtube....EBSmyyt4bSlMgQD

Other characters' kill counts in this series include all film versions of Batman (pre-Affleck), all film versions of Superman, Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Captain America, Iron Man, and Wolverine.

#2278 Dusty

Dusty
  • Citizen
  • 5850 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:27 PM

Yes, Batman's always killed people in his movie outings. I think the main beef people have with this portrayal is they aren't hiding it like in previous films.

Batman blowing up Joker's factory? There was a delay between the grenade and the explosion, suggesting that maybe people had time to evacuate. Batman shoving dynamite down a guy's pants and throwing him into the sewer? A delay long enough that the guy could have possibly fished it out and thrown it away. Letting Ra's crash? No body found. Tackling Harvey off a building? Heck, even I argued at the time whether or not Dent was actually dead considering.

Kinda hard to do that rationalizing here.

He killed all those people. You can try to rationalize it away, but it was clearly implied that they all died. Batman sticking the dynamite down that guy's pants and then SMILING at him as he falls to his death is way, way more sadistic than anything Batman does in BvS.

He also pretty clearly killed Talia and her driver at the end of The Dark Knight Rises. He shot the driver with what certainly looked like a machine gun mounted on The Bat and nobody seemed all that bothered. He killed the driver of the dump truck in The Dark Knight; there's no plausible way a human could have survived that impact. He even killed the Joker's dogs!

And I'm fine with all of that! Virtually all of them were deaths Batman orchestrated to save innocent people and/or defend himself. I have no problem with that.

#2279 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

Personally, Batman not killing has never been purely about the morality of it. It's about Batman's personal issues, it's about the fact that his origin begins in death, it's about the fact that he desperately wants to avoid becoming like the man who essentially created him.

Having him kill a bunch is, frankly, taking the easy way out and avoids a huge part of the character's themes and pathos.

And all those other movies doing it doesn't make it okay here, either. I didn't like when they did it either.

Edited by Razorsaw, 04 July 2016 - 07:43 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#2280 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2356 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:21 PM

Out of universe, the main reason is that if he kills random thugs without a second thought, the fact he doesn't kill the recurring named villains (including the worst serial killer in history) kind of stands out as nonsensical.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users