Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 01:52 PM)

50/60's Twilight Zone, the 80's, millennium and recent ones also, all are in The Twilight Zone.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 October 2020 - 08:03 AM)

Twilight zone. Duh.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 October 2020 - 07:52 AM)

Um.... what did I log in on...

@  Paladin : (28 October 2020 - 06:17 AM)

have they actually gotten worse than the one where Homer gets paralyzed by a spider and has to learn to communicate through his farts?

@  unluckiness : (28 October 2020 - 05:53 AM)

It's only fitting that SImpsons have halloween specials since it's been a shambling corpse of its former self since its teens.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 04:12 AM)

No I caught one of the latest one with parodies of Stranger Things which admittedly is horror series but Heaven Can Wait and The Shape of Water are Fantasy films. Plus implications of the characters being sociopaths or twisted has become a norm these days.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

Which probably adds to the "reasons they should just stop making more of The Simpsons" pile.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (28 October 2020 - 02:58 AM)

You make it sound like The Simpsons becoming less repetitive is a bad thing.

@  Maximus Ambus : (28 October 2020 - 02:48 AM)

Remember when Simpsons Halloween specials parodied horror movies and would have the characters make off out of character remarks like "we chucked donuts at a old man for kicks."? they don't and can't do that any more.

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 08:00 PM)

Tired of the same old Halloween stuff? Check out Tubi. The depths of the schlock available is astounding.

@  Donocropolis : (27 October 2020 - 11:51 AM)

Not sure if it's news or not, but I'm at Ross right now and they have Masterpiece Movie Ironhide for $24.99

@  Steevy Maximus : (27 October 2020 - 12:45 AM)

Final Fantasy 7 Remake’s Best Buy exclusive deluxe version is available for $10 as one of today’s daily deals

@  PlutoniumBoss : (26 October 2020 - 08:50 PM)

We can play the "Is it a real headline or an Onion headline" game.

@  Steevy Maximus : (26 October 2020 - 08:22 PM)

It's weird to see how much of Larry Hama's "satire" from the old GI Joe comic has no longer become satire in the past few years.

@  Maximus Ambus : (26 October 2020 - 11:29 AM)

Funny how 2020 gave me new appreciation for Dawn of the Dead 1978.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 07:43 PM)

@Fenix Twilight Sure. Just not a good one.

@  Fenix Twilight : (25 October 2020 - 04:02 PM)

@Sukoshiko Well his clothes left an impression on you didn't they?

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 October 2020 - 06:09 AM)

I just read "Tesla Cybertruck" like AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", now it won't get out of my head, so I inflict it on all of you as well.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:25 AM)

Tesla Cybertruck: amazing or just silly looking? I can't decide.

@  Sukoshiko : (25 October 2020 - 12:24 AM)

Weird question: I had to deal with a guy today... I'm not exactly up on modern fashions... or even archaic fashions... But this guy... Tuxedo Jacket and shirt, studs in all the button holes except the bottom one, blue jeans, and cowboy boots... Take a moment to imagine that get up. And this was to a business meeting, trying to impress someone. What look is that? Who on earth would dress that way? (I mean on purpose)

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:04 PM)

I think the few up here were lost to bad placement, poor weather, and the usual language trap.

@  TM2-Megatron : (24 October 2020 - 04:25 PM)

There are 5 spread around southwestern Ontario, all run by the same company. I've only been to the one in my area, but it seems to do good business even in non-pandemic times. On long weekends, when they do triple features, there's a normally a lineup to get in Friday and Saturday nights

@  Telly : (24 October 2020 - 01:51 PM)

there been one outside of my town for as long as ive been alive at least. its gone through its share of owners and periods of being closed down, but its been open for the past decade at least

@  Otaku : (24 October 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Bias from personal experience, but drive-in theaters are nearly extinct.  I grew up near one but it went out of business in the late 80s, and was torn down and replaced with some other business by the early 90s.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

Out here, I mean. Couldn't comment on their popularity in place where they actually exist.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 October 2020 - 06:44 AM)

I wouldn't know. They've only come back into vogue with the social distancing from the plague, and while some places have made an effort to shoestring the places together, it's all largely too distant to be accessible.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:46 PM)

I'd hate to see ours replaced by condos. They're a great way to spend an evening, whether with family or on a date. And they've never been as common in Canada as the US, so we cna't afford to lose as many

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:45 PM)

Largely they were either poorly placed or bought out and torn down to be replaced by something other than over priced short term parking. Mostly condos.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:14 PM)

I guess your winters are worse, so they have a shorter operating season. Drive-ins in the Toronto area can usually operate until early or mid-December; maybe even into early January if there's no real snowfall, and open up again sometime in March.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 09:13 PM)

THere's really only 1 left in the entire province?

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Ha! It's probably faster for me to drive to your drive in than to make my way to the only one left in quebec.

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Fortunately we still have a drive-in theatre that's exempt from the closures about a 10 minute drive away

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 October 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Theatres around here are closed again for at least another couple weeks (wouldn't be surprised if it's extended by another month or so, either), but that's what they've been doing here as well. Playing the old classics

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 October 2020 - 02:36 PM)

I got Earthrise Megatron, he's better then I thought he'd be though Netflix Megatron is still tops.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:44 AM)

The original Rocky movie is also showing. May go next weekend. That’s how you get people back in the theatres - show the old classics every adult loves.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 October 2020 - 10:35 AM)

They did a limited run showing of it up here too, back when the theaters were open... red zones suck.

@  Bass X0 : (23 October 2020 - 10:13 AM)

The original Back To The Future is showing in the Odeon in the UK now. I think I will go see it tomorrow.

@  Donocropolis : (23 October 2020 - 05:51 AM)

It was either the Bumblebee or Cliffjumper. Can't remember the colors.

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

Photo

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 2016 film discussion

2293 replies to this topic

#1 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

http://www.slashfilm...knight-returns/

OK, here?s the official word about the future of the DC Universe on screen via Warner Bros. Or the official suggestion. Zack Snyder took the stage at the end of the DC panel, gesturing that moderator Chris Hardwick should move aside. Snyder said, ?I?m gonna take the lectern from you, because some jive?s going to happen up here.?

Snyder continued:

It?s official that we are going to make another Superman movie. And you say, Zack, what is the movie about? But you don?t want me to tell you that. You want to go and see the movie. But I can say that maybe there?s a single element that will be in the film that I could? help you out with. I was thinking about how to do that. I pored through the DC Universe to look for a way to tell this thing. We?re writing the thing now, but I came across a thing I found that?ll help you understand it.

And then Harry Lennix read this, from Frank Miller?s The Dark Knight Returns: ?I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember your hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you.?

Snyder said ?we?re not adapting this thing, but it is the thing that will help us tell that story.? So while the logo he showed on screen, pictured above, uses the bat logo design from Miller?s work, this won?t quite be a direct adaptation.

No title was announced, and no actors were mentioned. Snyder did say that this is effectively the sequel to Man of Steel, and a press release confirms Henry Cavill as Superman as well as the returns of Laurence Fishburne, Amy Adams, and Diane Lane. No actor for Batman was suggested in any way.

Here?s the press release from WB:

NEXT DC SUPER HERO MOVIE IN PRE-PRODUCTION
Director Zack Snyder Unites Superman and Batman in One Explosive New Film

BURBANK, CA, July 20, 2013 ? On the heels of the worldwide success of ?Man of Steel,? director Zack Snyderis bringing together the two greatest Super Heroes of all time?Batman and Superman?for the first time on the big screen. The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution,Warner Bros. Pictures.

The current hit, ?Man of Steel,? has taken in more than $630 million at the worldwide box office to date, and climbing. Along with its star, Henry Cavill, the upcomingfilm brings back Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane. The new Batman has yet to be cast.

Snyder is co-writing the story with David S. Goyer, who will then pen the screenplay. Production is expected to begin in 2014, with an anticipated release date inSummer 2015.

Silverman stated, ?Zack Snyder is an incredibly talented filmmaker, but beyond that, he?s a fan first and he utterly gets this genre. We could not think of anyone better suited to the task of bringing these iconic Super Heroes to the screen in his own way.? Kroll added, ?We are thrilled to be back in business with Zack and his team on this next movie. The success of ?Man of Steel? is a wonderful testament to the love and support that both fans and new audiences, worldwide, have for these characters. We are very excited to see what Zack has in store for all of us.?

YES!

#2 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13720 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

How many times has WB failed to follow through on a Justice League promise so far?

And how many times have they dropped the ball on DC properties?

Not excited.
Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#3 Lio Kaiser

Lio Kaiser

Gattai! Lio Kaiser!

• Retired Staff
  • 4096 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

If they get a good Batman/Bruce Wayne (someone who can do justice to both and not one or the other), and the dynamic between him and Superman is great, then I bet this will be an amazing film!

Actually, the way the DCU is, this is probably a good way to introduce new heroes in the DCCU, using Superman as an anchor to draw in other heroes around him. Call this film "World's Finest" and use it as the prequel to the Justice League film! Give us Wonder Woman or Flash before JLA, and we'll be setting up for a great DCCU over the next few years.

-Lio Kaiser.

#4 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48491 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

No.

God...No.

Not Miller. Use anyone but Miller. Not the inane Batman/Superman Rivalry that turns Superman into a naive boyscout working for the wrong side because he won't come down to the level of the common man.

I can't suffer a big screen adaptation of "Batman is the best at everything, Superman is a loser".

#5 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.

God...No.

Not Miller. Use anyone but Miller. Not the inane Batman/Superman Rivalry that turns Superman into a naive boyscout working for the wrong side because he won't come down to the level of the common man.

I can't suffer a big screen adaptation of "Batman is the best at everything, Superman is a loser".

It's not going to be an adaptation. They kinda went out of their way to say that.

#6 Quantumhawk

Quantumhawk

Fight the Future

• Retired Staff
  • 18489 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

Queue I Am Legend references.

#7 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36888 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 20 2013, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No.

God...No.

It's not going to be an adaptation. They kinda went out of their way to say that.

Yeah, they state two or three times in that artical its not an adaption, its just a few ideas and lines they like. If this is supposed to be the Batman we've seen, even recasted, he's someone with more experence then Clark, despite having no powers. It kinda fits to some degree that in that frame Batman could beat Superman.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#8 Don_East

Don_East

Stop, Collaborate, and...

• Citizen
  • 341 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

I believe the plan DCCU is to have Supes be the first superhero much like Nu52 and since Batman was a known figure in the Nolan films, it's doubtful to it'll be that version of the Bat.

Also, since kryptonite doesn't exist yet, Bats can't use it unless he makes some huge jumps to conclusion like Luthor in the first Reeves movie.

Personally, I'm all for doing World's Finest before JL but I wish they fleshed out Superman more with a direct sequel.

Edited by Don_East, 20 July 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#9 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8364 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE(Don_East @ Jul 20 2013, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, since kryptonite doesn't exist yet, Bats can't use it unless he makes some huge jumps to conclusion like Luthor in the first Reeves movie.

It wouldn't be such a jump. The military now has information that the Kryptonian atmosphere makes Superman weak; information I fully expected to make its way to Luthor in a sequel, but now might make its way to Batman instead.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/
And a fic thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/169332-do-no-harm-first-aid/

#10 Undead Scottsman

Undead Scottsman

THANOSCOPTER

• Citizen
  • 10782 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Ugh, Goyer and Snyder?

I'll pass.

MSzBav1.jpg

#11 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 18265 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Still havn't seen Man of Steel but everything I've heard fans say about it suggests it misses A LOT of what I think is best about Superman.

Somehow I feel like throwing him and Batman together in a film by these folks would only make that worse. When they have the right connection/chemistry they're a great pair and the "World's Finest Team" but I feel doubtful that is what were gonna get.

-ZacWilliam, would be happy to be wrong but, yeah, this news doesn't make me particularly happy.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48491 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE(Cheetimus Primal @ Jul 20 2013, 04:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm aware of that. This is the part of the announcement that invoked that reaction:

And then Harry Lennix read this, from Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns: “I want you to remember, Clark, in all the years to come, in all your most private moments, I want you to remember your hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you.”

Snyder said “we’re not adapting this thing, but it is the thing that will help us tell that story.

Even using Miller's work as a guideline throws up all sorts of red flags with me. I'm a Batman fan and even I find Miller's insentient Mary Sueing of Batman in relation to Superman tiresome.

Even using it as reference material taints the whole production. Now maybe I'm overreacting and maybe they just used it as a round about means to announce the project as Miller's work is the most famous of the two's "team ups" (Though I use that term loosely). I hope that is the case, because I've zero interest to watch the kind of movie they're implying to making.

Edited by Rust, 20 July 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#13 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20755 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE(Undead Scottsman @ Jul 20 2013, 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, Goyer and Snyder?

I'll pass.

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even using Miller's work as a guideline throws up all sorts of red flags with me. I'm a Batman fan and even I find Miller's insentient Mary Sueing of Batman in relation to Superman tiresome.

Even using it as reference material taints the whole production. Now maybe I'm overreacting and maybe they just used it as a round about means to announce the project as Miller's work is the most famous of the two's "team ups" (Though I use that term loosely). I hope that is the case, because I've zero interest to watch the kind of movie they're implying to making.

This is the only thing I ever felt Miller got right about Superman. And my money's on Snyder and Goyer ignoring it entirely.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#14 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:40 PM

I'll do the crazy thing and wait to pass judgement until I see / hear more. icon-ball.gif
-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#15 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48491 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE(skankerzero @ Jul 20 2013, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll do the crazy thing and wait to pass judgement until I see / hear more. icon-ball.gif

What madness is this? Rational thought? 'E'S A WITCH!

#16 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20755 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE(Rust @ Jul 20 2013, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(skankerzero @ Jul 20 2013, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What madness is this? Rational thought? 'E'S A WITCH!

Man, can you imagine if when Orson Scott Card got hired to write for Superman people said they'd wait to pass judgement?

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#17 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52710 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Not writing a good Superman /= Being a leading proponent of discriminating against homosexuals.

card-strongarm.jpg

#18 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20755 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE(MrBlud @ Jul 20 2013, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not writing a good Superman /= Being a leading proponent of discriminating against homosexuals.

What about discriminating against women? Because that's Frank in a nutshell.

#19 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48491 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hey! HEY!

We don't use that word in regards to Miller's work!

The proper term is "Whores".

#20 Cheetimus Primal

Cheetimus Primal

Posted 20 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Frank's not gonna make money from this movie.

Good lord, this thing is being judged before a single shot is filmed. Calm down, people.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users