Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

@  Telly : (13 June 2021 - 12:08 AM)

or feed him after midnight

Photo

Race

1842 replies to this topic

#1821 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6566 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 27 December 2020 - 01:39 AM

Not that I ever expect to hear anything about Prager U that isn't shitty, but I'm pretty sure this is a new low: listing "stopped a slave rebellion" and "turned traitor to fight for something he knew was evil" as reasons to keep a statue of America's least-hated traitor.

#1822 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 14009 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 27 December 2020 - 07:38 AM

Wow, that's some skewed shit right there. Also, lots of silly trivia that has nothing to do with the topic. That's like saying "Adolf Hitler was a contemporary of Albert Einstein" as if that meant anything.

Also, I love how those morons try to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to the topic of slavery. "It's evil, but they're better off as slaves in the US than they were in Africa", bluh blah bleh.

Edited by Nevermore, 27 December 2020 - 07:40 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#1823 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10095 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 March 2021 - 12:18 AM

FB friend:

The Papa John's guy says he's been working for 2 years to remove the n-word from his vocabulary. Does he expect to be congratulated? How much was he using it before, if it's so hard for him to stop saying it?

Can you imagine if he did the same thing with other slurs? Suppose he said "I've been working for 2 years to stop referring to women as 'dirty whores'". People wouldn't say "he's working on it". They would say "What the hug is wrong with this guy?"

"How would you like it if an illegal immigrant raped your wife?"

Umm, I would feel about the same as I would if a local-born citizen raped my wife. What kind of stupid question is that? And why do conservatives always go there? Their minds always go to dark-skinned men raping white women.

OK, conservatives: if you're rushing out to buy the out-of-print Dr. Seuss books now, it means you didn't already own them before. This means you "cancelled" Dr. Seuss for your entire lives, and then suddenly uncancelled him when you found out that he did some racist shit.

Conservative white people saying "I don't see how that's racist": the most predictable response to Meghan Markle's revelations.

Liberals and conservatives are NOT two sides of the same coin. When Kevin Spacey got cancelled for being a sexual predator, liberals did not try to make a hero out of Kevin Spacey, nor did they run out and buy Kevin Spacey movies in bulk to spite the people who wanted to cancel him. But that's exactly how conservatives act when someone is cancelled for being a racist.

The difference, of course, is simple: despite what conservatives say, liberals do not actually sympathize with pedophiles. But conservatives DO sympathize with racists.

Edited by Pale Rider, 13 March 2021 - 12:30 AM.

#1824 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 14009 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:55 AM

I don't think the "N" word was ever part of my vocabulary, unless it was specifically as a quote to explain why someone else used racist terminology.

Edited by Nevermore, 14 March 2021 - 03:55 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#1825 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11466 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:26 AM

I won't even use it if it's a song lyric, i Just skip it

#1826 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10095 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 04:13 PM

FB friend reminding everyone of a post he made early last year:

To all my fellow Asians who lean conservative: look at how you're being treated by the FOXNews set right now during the coronavirus outbreak, and remember this for later. For years, you might have thought they liked us because they called us "the model minority", but they will never, ever, EVER think of you as one of them.

To them, you are a foreigner, and you always will be. Some of them might feel that you are a guest in their country and should be well-treated (for now), but in their minds, you and your offspring will forever be foreigners. You could be descended from Asians who have lived here for a century, and in their minds, this will still be THEIR country, not yours.

I know Asian conservatives look at the racial conflict between blacks and whites and think that we're neutral, but we're not. Give the FOXNews watchers any sort of push, and they will remind you of what they REALLY think you are. They are NOT your allies.

And yeah, I get it: you don't like paying taxes. Do you know what sucks more than paying taxes? Sacrificing your dignity to lick the boots of people who despise you, all for a damned tax break and the occasional insincere compliment. It's pitiful. Grow a backbone.

He certainly called it.

Edited by Pale Rider, 21 March 2021 - 04:29 PM.

#1827 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1633 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 21 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

Your friend can hug himself. I'm not licking anyone's boots when I lean conservative on an issue.
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#1828 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10095 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 03:09 PM

FB friend:

What does it take to be a white supremacist?

There are a lot of white supremacists who don't realize that they're white supremacists, because they think you have to wear a Klan hood and burn crosses to be a white supremacist.

A human tumour like Tucker Carlson will ask stupid rhetorical questions like "what does white supremacism even mean", but it's pretty obvious what it means: it's the notion that white people are better than everyone else, and deserve to be in charge. And you don't actually have to come out and say those exact words to be a white supremacist.

Did you worry that Justice Sotomayor might be "biased" on racial issues, while not worrying that her white colleagues might also be biased on racial issues, as if racial issues affect minorities but not white people? Guess what: you just claimed that white people are intrinsically more rational and trustworthy. That is a classic white-supremacist belief.

Do you worry that minorities aren't properly "integrating" into "our culture"? Guess what: you just claimed that minorities are not legitimately part of "our" culture, but white people are. Again, this is a classic white-supremacist belief. Think about it: the culture of today is vastly different from the culture of the 1920s, and minorities have been here since long before 1920, so their culture should be considered part of our culture by now, right? Well ... no. No matter how long minorities live here, any cultural practices associated with them are considered foreign.

Do you worry that white people are in danger of being marginalized? Stop and think: do you seriously worry that white people, who control ~80% of government and ~85% of the nation's wealth, are actually in imminent danger of being dominated by the people who control the other 20% of government and 15% of the wealth? Does that actually sound realistic to you? Or do you just worry that white people might be less dominant in the future? If so, guess what: you are echoing another white-supremacist belief. Specifically, the belief that white people should utterly dominate the government and the economy, so much that 80% is not enough.

Do you think that hiring quotas discriminate against white men? Guess what: you are echoing a favourite white-supremacist talking point. Ask yourself this: how high are those quotas, and why do you think they became necessary? Let's look at some examples: last year, Wells Fargo said they would increase minority leadership to 12%. Ralph Lauren said they would increase minority hires to 20%. Turn that around, and it means that Well Fargo previously had MORE than 88% white management, and Ralph Lauren previously hired MORE than 80% white employees. We are talking about places that are OVERWHELMINGLY white, attempting to diversify just a little bit while still remaining whiter than the general population, and you're worried that this is unfair to white people? This is a classic white-supremacist talking point for a reason.

A lot of peoples' political opinions have their origins in white-supremacist assumptions about the way things should be. These assumptions get packaged up as political talking points, and then these talking points get distributed by the right-wing propaganda machine until everyone has heard them ad nauseum. They take on a life of their own, seemingly separate from white supremacism but always promoting it, whether people realize it or not.

Edited by Pale Rider, 24 March 2021 - 03:09 PM.

#1829 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 5359 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

Your friend can hug himself. I'm not licking anyone's boots when I lean conservative on an issue.

I don't think he's saying you have to disagree on every possible issue with people who happen to be racist. Most racists also believe that the earth revolves around the sun, for example. Just don't ever vote for them.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#1830 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10095 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 05:53 PM

FB friend:

I'm honestly not concerned that Biden said something racist 40 years ago. I'd hazard a guess that >99% of white guys his age said something racist 40 years ago.

I'm far more concerned that people on my own goddamned Facebook friends list (or their friends) were saying that BLM is a terrorist organization, six months ago.

#1831 Corgis Pal

Corgis Pal

I don't need a rationale to sing The Internationale

• Supporter
  • 6841 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:17 PM

FB friend:

I'm honestly not concerned that Biden said something racist 40 years ago. I'd hazard a guess that >99% of white guys his age said something racist 40 years ago.

I'm far more concerned that people on my own goddamned Facebook friends list (or their friends) were saying that BLM is a terrorist organization, six months ago.

Or my 20-30 year old coworkers saying it in January.

#1832 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 11466 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:28 PM

Some of my neighbors said it this week..

#1833 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 10095 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:42 PM

FB friend:

When Republicans say "I'm not racist", what they actually mean is "I'm no more racist than my friends." And their friends fly confederate flags.

#1834 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 14009 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:28 AM

FB friend:

When Republicans say "I'm not racist", what they actually mean is "I'm no more racist than my friends." And their friends fly confederate flags.

I have to disagree.

When Republicans say "I'm not racist", what they mean is "Other races are objectively inferior, that's just how the world works".

Edited by Nevermore, 05 April 2021 - 04:19 AM.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#1835 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50726 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 04:19 AM

When the GOP says "I'm not racist", just remember, the "in public" is silent. Just not very silent.

#1836 Kalidor

Kalidor

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Owner
  • 60898 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:44 PM

I think it mostly boils down to the fact they have a different definition of what they think being racist means. To them, being racist means 1950s racism where you go out of your way to murder people, not do business with them or burn crosses on their lawns. 

What they see is just that they think they're better because all the negative tropes are just "facts" and they don't consider that being racist - they just consider it being right. 

#1837 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6566 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 03:23 PM

So a woman gets her home appraised multiple times, and it's worth $100,000 more when they don't know she's black.

https://www.rawstory...discrimination/

#1838 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6566 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:09 PM

#1839 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 14009 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 03:29 AM

This is classic "US OR THEM" rhetoric.

aR2oX8u.jpg

#1840 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6566 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 11:59 AM

This is news from about two weeks ago, but I just saw someone mention last night that it hasn't really been covered much in mainstream US or Canadian news, and realized they were right. Not enough people know about this.

https://www.bbc.com/...canada-57291530

A mass grave containing the remains of 215 children has been found in Canada at a former residential school set up to assimilate indigenous people.

The children were students at the Kamloops Indian Residential School in British Columbia that closed in 1978.

Canada's residential schools were compulsory boarding schools run by the government and religious authorities during the 19th and 20th Centuries with the aim of forcibly assimilating indigenous youth.

Kamloops Indian Residential School was the largest in the residential system. Opened under Roman Catholic administration in 1890, the school had as many as 500 students when enrolment peaked in the 1950s.

The Tk'emlups te Secwepemc First Nation said the remains were found with the help of a ground-penetrating radar during a survey of the school.

"To our knowledge, these missing children are undocumented deaths," Ms Casimir said. "Some were as young as three years old."

From about 1863 to 1998, more than 150,000 indigenous children were taken from their families and placed in these schools.

The children were often not allowed to speak their language or to practise their culture, and many were mistreated and abused.

A commission launched in 2008 to document the impacts of this system found that large numbers of indigenous children never returned to their home communities.

The landmark Truth and Reconciliation report, released in 2015, said the policy amounted to "cultural genocide".

The Missing Children Project documents the deaths and the burial places of children who died while attending the schools. To date, more than 4,100 children who died while attending a residential school have been identified, it says.

And yes, the US also had schools like this as late as the 1990s.

This isn't something that happened ages ago. Not even just "people who are still alive", but even "people who are younger than many of us" experienced this directly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users